FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lebanon Correctional Institute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lebanon Correctional Institute
    Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 6:52am
Just read the bleeding heart article in the Journal about the "despair in the death row inmates eyes"( cue the crying) or some nonsense like that. They just took a guy off of death row and gave him a life sentence for killing a furniture store owner years ago.(Don't want my taxes keeping people who can't live within the rules of society alive) Reminds me of what has happened at Lebanon Correctional. Years ago, in the 60's, LCI was a "low risk" prison/workfarm with forgers, burglers, unarmed robbers- non violent criminals only. Now, with absolutely no regard to the surrounding citizens, the government and law enforcement started bringing in rapist, murderers, and people like this to make up this prison's population. It has become a maximum security prison without any fanfare and the state government has literally done a covert operation on the people over the years by keeping it low on the radar. Sneaky little-- nevermind.     Good thing some of us have home protection although there have been very few issues with escapes over the years.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 9:18am
I recall the night that a midget fortune teller escaped from LCI many years ago!  The headline in The Journal the next day was:

"SMALL MEDIUM at LARGE!!!"

LOLLOLLOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 2:09pm
Mike- I vaguely remember the midget. Been too long ago for me to recall this epic moment in LCI lore.     
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 9:52am
I retired from Lebanon and thanks too the Celeste administration in the 80s he changeds Lebanon to a  close max prison. Thats 1 step below lucasville. Part of the budget problem has too do with all the changes he made and the construction of prisons . He implemented the Unit management concept which the Feds got rid of years ago. It was too costly and didn't work the inmatesa now run the asylum. I don't believe in mistreatment of people that are incarcerated however I think that the death penalty should never be repealed . I think that it should be carried out as soon as their appeals have ran out.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 10:49am
Welcome retired co!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Middletown community!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 11:09am
Retired co- I agree with your last sentence. How many appeals do these death row inmates have? If more than three, that's two too many. I detest the fact that my taxes are used to keep these people alive. We shouldn't have any inmates on death row for more than two years at the most before we "dispose" of them. I liked how the state changed LCI to a max security prison from a work farm in their own little secretive manner without any regard for the people living in the area as to information/safety. Yet another government cluster.
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 7:53pm
Viet Vet Lebanon always had some bad characters even when it was a reformatory.
We had rapist, childmolesters,and murderers there but they were all 1st trime offenders. Most were out on the streets within 8 years . However when Celeste came in he made some radical changes which the tax payers are just begining to realize. The bad thing is Strickland is getting a lot of flack for it as was Taft. The dept of Corrections had a budget of at least 1 billion last year. After 1 appeal has been turned down the culprit should walk the line to old  sparky. Its millions to keep them on death row for years on end.
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 10:15am
SO, I was reading every ones comments on prison and LCI. Now I know nothing about LCI, but I do know more than anyone else {with the exception of retired CO} on here as it pertains to prison. I have done some time in the places you speak of. ( 9yrs)
On the subject of death row I do agree that inmates given the death penalty spend far too much time there at a great cost to the tax payer. But you speak as if this is their doing. The law says that any person given the death sentence MUST file an appeal, and how long those appeals take has nothing to do with the inmate. The system is slow and will always be slow. There are three appeals for a death row prisoner as there should be and those appeals take time. Is that right …no it’s not at all. But what about those that have gotten out years later because the were innocent? They are out there. Should we have sent them to “old sparky” after that first appeal?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 6:27am
here & now- "but you speak as if this is their doing "- yes, in a way, it is their doing- THEY made a choice in their life that placed them in the prison system in the first place. THEY made the choice to not live within the confines of the laws of society.THEY must take responsibility for their actions. Your last line- "Should we have sent them to "old sparky" after that first appeal"- Yes. Their "first appeal" would have been the second time their case has been heard and the second time that they had to present their case/defend themselves. IMO, two times is a fair chance to prove ones innocence and three times (second appeal) is going overboard with the number of chances. "The law says that any person given the death sentence MUST file AN appeal- meaning ONE- not two or three. One appeal per inmate would speed the process up in dispositioning the death row inmates. Multiple appeals slows down the process and clogs the courts. JMO
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 10:06am
VietVet- I do agree with you that people {such as me} made a choice to live a life that led us to places like prison and death row. But where i do not agree is holding the inmate responsible  for a system that is slow. As for appeals, i agree that one would suffice but the way things are set up there are 3 steps {county,state & federal} An inmate on death row can not just file appeal after appeal, but they do have to file the three i just spoke of.
There are MANY things in prison that cost far too much and death row is only a small one. I spent years there and couldn't believe what i saw. Now, i was not incarcerated in Ohio, but prison is prison and they waste money on many things. VietVet, i do understand what you are saying and there are many people on death row that have been there far too long and only take up place. They should have been.... long ago. But it's the courts that make it the way it is not the inmate. That is and was my point.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 10:37am
Point well taken. I understand the concept that it is not the inmate's fault, but rather the courts for the time delay in disposition of inmates. Sounds like we need to change the appeals system to eliminate the 3 steps of county, state and federal to just one step. Much too long of a wait for the taxpayer and the inmate.
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 11:03am
I could not agree more, take all three steps make them one and save everyone time and money.I pay taxes now, and don't want going there any more than you do.But the  truth is, the system will not change because of those in charge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic