FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good job, Sam and Ann!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good job, Sam and Ann!!!
    Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 2:25pm
From today's E-Journal:

At this week’s Middletown Convention and Visitors Bureau meeting, that board will have to ratify a previous vote from its October meeting when it approved a $154 expenditure in violation of Ohio’s Open Meetings Law, commonly known as the Sunshine Law.

According to the minutes of the Oct. 23 meeting, then-President Sam Ashworth “reported that the board had agreed by email to fund a year’s subscription for the Community Calendar website that Ann Mort administers.” Ashworth resigned from the CVB, “due to personal commitments,” according to minutes from the Dec. 11 CVB meeting.

The state open meetings law prohibits the public’s business from being conducted outside of a public meeting, including email. Any actions taken in violation of the sunshine law are invalid and are usually required to be to redone in a public meeting.

Here is the link if anyone cares enough to read the entire story:
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 2:46pm
This sounds like a witch hunt to me.

$154 is not a major expenditure or new expenditure. I believe the original decision to utilize the service constituted a grandfather clause.

Either way, its the little things that get in the way of the big picture.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 3:24pm
Jonathan- IMO, this has nothing to do with the $154 amount as much as it has to do with the fact that there was a violation of a law and the fact that the public, if they care, have to constantly monitor these people to make sure that they don't violate the laws. Somehow, someway, when people are placed in elected or other important positions they tend to forget that other people are watching their activities closely and they may have a tendency to "bend the rules" a little.It is a big deal to some of us if these people are secretive in their behavior.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

$154 is not a major expenditure or new expenditure. I believe the original decision to utilize the service constituted a grandfather clause.

Oh really?  One might wonder if this is only the tip of the iceberg.  When was the last time you saw any MINUTES of a CVB board meeting?  Have they "voted" on any other expenditures by phone or email?

How much money has been "voted" right into a member's pocket?

It all could be nothing!!  I certainly don't know.  But I do know this:
There are way too many boards and committee meetings that have not submitted meeting minute to council in a long time!!!  (Check the council minutes.)  And how many have neglected to record the "yeas and nays", which is required by law, for each motion? 

When people are dealing with the people's business, and spending the people's money. there just has to be RULES, and they MUST be followed.

There are 6 or 7 people on this CVB board of trustees, not counting Dave "I will not run again" Schiavone.  The telephone seems to be an awfully strange way to hold a meeting!!

When was the last time YOU held a six-person conference call???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2009 at 4:44pm
Mike you are correct!
To many of these back door meetings makes for bad business...
Are Ann Mort and Sam Ashworth paid any type of salary from the City for CVB?
If so how much?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

I sit corrected!! YOU are RIGHT, Mr. Haller!! Thumbs%20Up

The BIG picture is:  "How did Sam and Ann end up sitting on a $120,000 stockpile of taxpayers' money?!!?!?"
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 5:13am
"She also made a pitch for the CVB to consider becoming a partner with other organizations to fund a full-time coordinator to help revitalize downtown. However, that person would not be a city employee. Gilleland said she is hoping for the CVB to be a partner in funding the position for at least two years.
The board said it would discuss the matter at its March meeting."

Several weeks ago we find that Ms. Gilleland went before the Middletown Comunity Foundation and requested that they fund a 3rd "Revitalation Director" for just the downtown area for an annual salary of $60,000 for 2 years. Now we find that she has made the pitch again to CVB to fund this 3rd director.
Why do we need another Director for just downtown?
Who is this director that is going to do such great things to the downtown area?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 6:25am
What is Ginger Smith doing these days in her role as Revit. Director?She now has help on loan from the legal department and now Gilleland wants to place a 3rd for the downtown??? Is this job that overwhelming for one person and their staff, or is it an indication of the lack of abilities of the people who have been placed in these slots? Do you think Billy Murphy's coming back as a "Director/Consultant" to help us in the downtown area? If so, good idea- he did a great job as the Econ. Director. As to Mort and Ashworth's bed tax nest egg of $120,000- must be alot of folks stopping in the old Hacienda to enjoy our hotel ammenities. With a two year stint at $60 grand, wonder what makes Gilleland think that someone will make great strides in two years in the downtown area when there ain't been nothin' happening of any significance in the last twenty?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 7:09am

Weekly Update to City Council from the City Manager

February 22, 2009
NSP Funds
"According to our advisor, HUD guidelines do not permit the NSP funds to be used entirely for demolition and at least 25% must be used for housing to assist those under 50% of the median income guidelines.   We will continue to explore the options.  Just as with all new federal programs, it takes quite a while to roll out all of the rules for usage.  As we discussed at council, we would prefer demolition since we do not have the staff to undertake or supervise rehabs.  I did talk with Senator Voinovich’s staff about this topic and they are working to assist in this area as well."

Vet
I'm having a really difficult time understanding any of what is going on with this program.
In the comment above the City Manager states that we don't have the staff ..???? I don't understand this statement at all.??? In the past the demo jobs were completed by sub contractors.
Why wouldn't you sub contract out the rehab also? What did they do the last time with this rehab program.
Don't we have someone on staff that are making these big bucks that has the ability to act as a super to over see these rehabs?
Please tell me why I can't understand this program and the problems they are having? Wacko
QUESTION: When is the next Housing Sub Committee Meeting?
I think we all need to show up and get a few answers.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 7:57am
Vivian- if you go back and review the Feb 17th Council meeting, Scott-Jones, when Council is discussing the Section 8 authorization to give Ginger Smith permission to use the money to purchase qualified properties,reads a passage that said that the money could be used for demolition. The document gave a list of choices of what to do with the money. Again, all Council members approved the authorization to free up the money to allow Smith to purchase qualified homes for rehab/resale WITH- WITH- the stipulation that Council could channel the money from rehab to demo. at 100% and left the door open to change their mind.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 9:10am
Do you see no good in people?
Are Sam and Ann in a conspiracy to benefit from $120K?

You make some accusations I would not state in public for fear of reprisal of libel.

Sam and Ann have done more for this community than most. I for one am indeed grateful to both Sam Ashworth and Ann Mort.

Just read a MUSA Google search on Sam Ashworth:

1. Sam Ashworth Holding Fundraiser - MiddletownUSA.com

Fundraiser for Sam Ashworth Guest Conductor Middletown Symphony Orchestra When: Wednesday, October 15, 2008. Time: 6:00pm - 9:00pm...
    www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=3730
  2. CONCERT AND ART AUCTION TO BENEFIT ALS AND MEDICAL ...

Sam Ashworth , is a professional trombone player who has worked with most of the area musicians throughout the past 30 years and is a graphic designer by ...
    www.mainstreetmonroe.com/view_news.asp?nId=1050
  3. Artists & Authors Series Features Sam Ashworth - MiddletownUSA.com

Browse through the displays and take a few minutes to talk with graphic designer, author and local history buff Sam Ashworth about his work on Tuesday, ...
    www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=3492
  4. Middletown Residents Invited To Join Year-Long Community Action ...

Long-time Middletown residents and community volunteers, Sam Ashworth and Ann Mort, are planning a new initiative to Make Middletown Better, to spur actoin ...
    www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=3942
  5. MUSA Blog Forum: Mort and Ashworth

Sam Ashworth is a calm, nice level-headed guy as I know him. Have never looked at him as a power baron, and would expect a fair common sense no strings ...
    www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=795
  6. MUSA Blog Forum: MIDDLETOWN Pride In Action

14 posts - Last post: Feb 4
    Sam Ashworth – 513-593-0062 sam41@cinci.rr.com. Every week another idea to make Middletown better. One small (or large) effort at a time ...
    www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=932
  7. And here is one on Ann Mort:
    1. Local Author Ann Mort Publishes Third Travel Book on CD...

Veteran travel writer, Ann Mort has produced a third travel book –this time in CD format. Great Little Getaway Tours, contains information on day trips, ...
      www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=3157
    2. OHIO CHALLENGE HOT AIR BALLOON 2006 LEADERSHIP - MainStreetMonroe.com

Publicity Ann Mort , Administrative Business Services/ Middletown CVB. 5K Race Sara Newlin/ Middletown High School Athletic Boosters ...
      www.mainstreetmonroe.com/view_news.asp?nId=1444
    3. MUSA Blog Forum: Midfirst Ohio Challenge

Ann Mort, the event's publicity director, estimated attendance this past weekend was on ... No, I am saying Ann Mort is basically in the loop with the City, ...
      www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=479
    4. OHIO CHALLENGE ENTERTAINERS - MainStreetMonroe.com

Ann Mort InTown Magazine/Admin. Bus. Svc - 513-649-4506. Middletown Convention and Visitors Bureau - 513-422-3030. CVB Toll Free 888-664-3353 ...
      www.mainstreetmonroe.com/view_news.asp?nId=1891
    5. [PDF] 

2008 Middletown Area Club Presidents - Please send corrections to...

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
      Mar 31, 2008 ... Please send corrections to Ann Mort - 513-649-4506-RMort@cinci.rr.com ..... Ann. Stoutenboroug. Box 1024. Middletown ...
      www.middletownusa.com/pdf/2008%20Midd.%20Area%20Club%20presidents.pdf
    6. Ohio Challenge Hot Air Balloon Festival - MainStreetMonroe.com

Chamber Event Planner- Kathy Venturella. Publicist - Ann Mort , inTown Magazine. Contact:. Ann Mort -513-424-2038, Rmort@cinci.rr.com ...
      www.mainstreetmonroe.com/view_news.asp?nId=1071
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 9:11am
Hey here is a search on Mike Presta, not bad:
  1. A Taste of Memphis in Middletown, Ohio - MiddletownUSA.com

Mike Presta recommeded it, "I tried the "St. Louis style" ribs from A Taste Of Memphis Wednesday evening, and they were the best I've ever had in Ohio! ...
    www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=3849
  2. Middletown Ohio Blog: Middletown Mayor's Race Heats Up

Aug 23, 2007 ... Two other residents, Mike Presta and James Garrett also pulled petitions but did not file them. Posted by Bill Rogers at 2:01 PM ...
    middletownusablog.blogspot.com/2007/08/middletown-mayors-race-heats-up.html
  3. MUSA Blog Forum: Why NOT CDBG money for infrastructure???

Councilman Tyus said that Mike Presta was wrong, and that it was unlawful to use CBDG money for streets. All the other council members--plus Landon and then ...
    www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=885
  4. MUSA Blog Forum: Nagy speaks but does Council listen

Mike Presta. I think it is time to set up another meeting for the November 2009 Election. I also think it's time to ask the tough question of the current ...
    www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=850
  5. MUSA Blog Forum: The Middletown I75 Cloverleaf Project

Mike Presta - "the plan is to make everyone plant trees so that there will be NO SIGNS of any enterprise " Very Funny ! Pac Man - Thanks for the link to the ...
    www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=830&PID=3560
  6. MUSA Blog Forum: An open letter to councilwoman Ford

Mike Presta. Citizen. PS: You, personally, are allowed to speak up, and even DISAGREE with other council members! In fact, you are REQUIRED to do so, ...
    www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&PID=3630
  7. MUSA Blog Forum: Good luck, Mr. Nagy!!!

Mr.Nagy, Mr.Presta and Mr.Wills would be excellent choices based on their continuous ... Paul Nenni, Dan Picard, Mike Scorti, Dick sl*gle and John Soppanish...
    www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=875
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 10:30am
Too bad that the internet wasn't around in its present form back in the '90s, '80s and late '70s.  You'd have been amazed at what a search on Mike Presta might have turned up then.

More to the point, there is nothing libelous about asking the question "What are Sam and Ann (The CVB, a public entity which I believe is publicly funded) doing sitting on $120,000 in these fiscally trying times?"

If they want to sue me for that, bring it on!!!   Just remember...people will have to testify under oath (and under the possibility of the penalties for perjury)!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 1:57pm
NIMBY - This isn't the place for that, this is for economic development. I am trying to publish the good about Middletown. So people might relocate or locate their business here.

I have a vested interest, since I am a commercial office space landlord in Middletown. So lets balance things a bit. After all, there is good in Middletown, all you have to do is look, because it isn't hard to find.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 2:46pm
great job, Mike!!
keep it up!
we all need to know these things.
If it means we get booted from here, then it is this forum's and the citizens' loss
maybe I should open my own site

sorry mr.B--just calling it like it is.

u da man Mr.P!!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 2:50pm
and anyone thinking the CVB or Community Foundation sgould research the history of the failed Downtown Partnership funded by the city.

I know--I was on that board.
When you have no power, you can't force property owners to do anything.
We still have the same property owners, who wanted to run it themslves.
They haven't accomplished much, and millions have been thrown away downtown.

jmo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic