FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prosecutor on Temporary Assignment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prosecutor on Temporary Assignment
    Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 4:33pm
Good use of existing personnel.

From the Weekly Update to City Council from the City Manager February 27, 2009
We have moved Doug Adkins, our Prosecutor, into the Community Revitalization Department on temporary assignment.   With the recent departure of a person in a key position who oversaw the Section 8 program and CDBG, we needed someone who could hit the ground running to assist in this department.  Dougs high energy and solid work ethic fit the bill; he brings with him a wealth of knowledge on code enforcement issues, along with a great background in Section 8.    Hopefully in the next several months we will be able to define permanent roles.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 5:03pm
Is that a promotion or demotion, temporarily.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 6:19pm
I was told that Ginger Smith has retired. So I would guess that this is a promotion for Mr. Adkins. But you must ask yourself what kind of mess is our Section 8 Housing really in?
Is this why it has taken so long to work out this CONSOC contract?
This just doesn't pass the smell test for me......
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

the recent departure of a person in a key position who oversaw the Section 8 program and CDBG
This is the part that I would like to know more about!!!

A "KEY person" "departs", they then move a LAWYER in to tthe department, and nobody says any more about it than this???  Excuse my cynicism, but something tells me there is much more to this story that they don't want the public to know about.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 7:17pm
Tell me again...CDBG.....what does that stand for?

Ginger retired? Wow.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 1:44am
Community Development Block Grant

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 7:08am
Mike-MM- Isn't it interesting that, all of a sudden, we hear that Ginger Smith has retired?(Forced?) When I watched her in the Council meetings and she was presenting information or answering questions, she always seemed so unsure of herself and ill-prepared, often glancing over at Gilleland as if to seek help. Makes me wonder if this wasn't a retirement that was "asked for" by the city manager. Think perhaps the city got themselves into a legal situation concerning Section 8 that required some counsel?   
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 8:41am
Didn't read or hear anything about Ms.Smith's departure, though I have been AWOL for a while. Made a couple of remote postings about the CVB money and related topics, however those posts seem to have vanished, along with Mike's post, Mr.B's  nimby post and my response about the Downtown Partnership.

Discussing that failed municipally-funded effort is when I first met Mike Presta. He went on a tirade about wasting $$ on the Partnership, and I called him to detail,discuss and answer ?s about the organization and board members(remember that Mike?). No matter, since admin is now wanting the Community Foundation to pay for the requested downtown director position. I am on the Foundation board and will be there in full force to speak against this concept. A lot of other members seem to have serious reservations about this also.

seems odd that someone of Ms.Smith's stature would quietly retire without the usual hoopla. I had no beef with her. Think maybe she was offered a sweet buy-out that isn't supposed to be made public? All the best to her though, and thanks for the service!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 8:43am
also wanted to respond to mad mom's whining about our collective "negativity and lack of positive community involvement". Somehow, I wasn't allowed to answer, which was probably a good thing for everyone.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 9:00am
spiderjohn,,,,,,I think you need to reread that topic. Middletown in general.
You are twisting my words. Why weren't you allowed to answer? I would have been interested.
I did not accuse anyone of "lack of positive community involvement". I had questions and people answered.
So, I'm the only one who whines?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 10:16am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Discussing that failed municipally-funded effort is when I first met Mike Presta. He went on a tirade about wasting $$ on the Partnership, and I called him to detail,discuss and answer ?s about the organization and board members(remember that Mike?).

Yes I certainly do remember!!

I also remember someone promising a "full accounting" of exactly where the "leftover" $25K (or was it "ONLY" $20K?) of taxpayers' money that was going for the model locks "water feature" was spent.  It's only been about FIVE YEARS or so---maybe we'll get the "full accounting" tomorrow!

I won't say where I suspect that it went, lest I upset the "good news only" folks.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 12:25pm
Pretty sure that the Downtown Partnership returned the left-over funds to the city. Whatever happened to it after that--I dunno.

As I assured you then, none of us involved(outside of the paid director) ever recieved any compensation at any time, and only a lot of grief from downtown property owners for suggesting ideas or fixing up their properties.

AND---as we were shutting down, Council(Commission at that time) tried to throw another $50,000 or so at us to keep it all going! We refused that $$.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 12:30pm
MM-Interesting comment from the Spider. I too, was accused of whining by Spiderjohn a month or two ago. I responded to the whining accusation and, like you, asked if I was the only one who whines. He clarified his comments at the time. Perhaps he will do the same for you. Sounds like the Spider is taking a new approach to all of this. Good for him!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 1:56pm
OK mad mom--seems I read a post where you challenged "negativity" among the posters and their lack of accentuating our city's positives. I believe that you also ?ed what those same posters have ever done to become involved within the community.

I try to balance it out.
If I like someone or something, I will prase it or defend it.
If I don't care for someone or something, I try to explain why, without going un-necessarily personal in nature.

I believe that many here have been involved with a myriad of positive efforts within the city, and are always volunteering to do more. As for myself, I am comfortable with my long-term level of positive involvement in a very wide range of ventures. 

I try not to "accuse" anyone of anything.
I just give my opinion, and try to share info on pertinent topics.

As for "whining"--I "whine" as much as anyone, so neither Vet or yourself should feel special or singled out.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 3:02pm
M Mom- Looks like Spider has,once again, clarified his comments on the subject of whining. You and I are neither special nor singled out. He didn't mean "whining" in the context that we both took it. IMO, he is very good at explaining his comments. He is fair and writes with an objective approach.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 6:27pm
Thank you SpiderJohn.
My husband accused me of whining, once,,,,,,,,but I still love him.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Pretty sure that the Downtown Partnership returned the left-over funds to the city. Whatever happened to it after that--I dunno.
Oh, NO, Spider, that's NOT what happened!!!  THAT is what I suggested SHOULD happen:  That the people's money should be returned to the cash-strapped city!!!

There was a lot of hemming and hawing, and hoo-haa-ing about how the City could not ask for the money back, and that the money could only go to another 501(C)3.  Now I guess that there were NO 501(C)3s ANYWHERE within the city government (for example: somewhere in the schools, or the health dept., or ANYTHING that would give the taxpayers some relief) so The Downtown Partnership chose the Historical Society (Surprise, surprise!) and they chose to to build the model locks water feature at the corner of Verity & Central.  And council promised a "full accounting" so that we would all know exacted where the money ended up.

Maybe we will get the "full accounting" tomorrow???
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 9:29am
Correct!
You spiked my memory, Mike.

Lack of authority and refusal to co-operate by the main property owners(Thatcher/Blakely/Isroff/Banks/Valen) made us decide to shut it down and return the cash.
There weren't many non-profits(501C3s) downtown at that time, and we were forced to choose someone to get the $$. All the while, Commission was trying to throw more money at us to keep us going since they didn't want to deal with downtown, the infamous parking lot(sell that mess--the Swallens building and the newly acquired old Wards disaster) and the businesses.

We debated long and hard, with sensible and non-sensible options. Consensus was not happening. Finally decided on the hysterical society, because they were operating downtown, Sam A was on our board, and presented the best plan that was agreeable.

We dis-banded, and how it worked out after that was not our issue.

Just the facts as I remember them at this time.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 9:50am
Spider
That's my problem now..the only 501C3 I can use is the Middletown Historical Society.
The Middletown Historical Society may have acted as the fiscal agent for you but I do not believe that donated to the project.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 12:53pm
Listen folks.....

According to Bob Wilson, President of the board, when George Crout died he left approx...
one million to the Historical folks.
They now have a little more than $300.000 left. This is after the employment of Mr. Ashworth at approx $40.000 a year for 10 years.  Also  the purchase of the Pickwick building for 200.000+ which has had little use by anyone......

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2009 at 1:51pm

Middletown official set to retire

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

Friday, March 06, 2009

MIDDLETOWN — Ginger Smith, director of Middletown's community revitalization department, has announced that she will be retiring effective March 31.

Smith, 62, has been with the city since 1996 and served as a chief administrative assistant and director of public works before she was assigned as community revitalization director in a City Hall reorganization last summer.

Smith worked for Miami University Middletown prior to joining the city. Her last day of work will be today, March 6.

Doug Adkins, who is the city's prosecutor, was on a temporary reassignment to the community revitalization department. Adkins was named Thursday, March 5, as interim department director by City Manager Judy Gilleland. Adkins' appointment is effective April 1.

"Ginger is a very hard worker who cares a great deal about the city of Middletown and has been a very dedicated employee," Gilleland said. "We wish her the best in her retirement."

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2009 at 8:43am

Does this mean that she retires at a HIGHER monthly suppliment due to her very short stint in this new position?

Also note that she is using 25 accrued days to finish out the month, and we are only two months into the year!

Folks--it ain't the golf course or the health dept.that is bleeding our city dry. It is the bennie/retirement program. Sell the course, eliminate depts. and we will be in the same mess in 3 years WITHOUT those great community assets. Particularly the health dept. The county doesn't want us due to our overwhelming # of govt.assisted residents(due to the section 8 debacle).
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2009 at 9:05am
Interesting- from "Chief" Administrative Assistant to a Director level job in 13 years! She must have had talent beyond their wildest imagination! Haven't seen that happen in private business. They don't fill Director's slots with secretaries at your P&G's or IP's. You wouldn't have a prayers chance as an admin. to make that kind of move. Guess these city government promotion ladders work a little differently than the rest of the working world. Was she an admin. at MUM before taking a job with the city? Perhaps she was under qualified to place her in the Public Works/Rehab. Director's slots if all she had prior to those assignments was working as an admin. assist. Perhaps the 25 accrued days for this year are a roll over from 2008. ???
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2009 at 2:36pm
I cannot believe Ginger retired.
Josh Van Cleave View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Van Cleave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2009 at 2:37pm
Is Ginger still involved with Light up Middletown?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic