FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Levy Fails 4255 to 4168

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Levy Fails 4255 to 4168
    Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 11:29pm

Election Summary Report
Butler County, Ohio
Special Election
Summary For Jurisdiction Wide, All Counters, All Races

Unofficial Election Results

08/07/07
21:42:03

Registered Voters 29203 - Cards Cast 8503 29.12% Num. Report Precinct 38 - Num. Reporting 38 100.00%

1 - MIDDLETOWN CITY SCHOOLS
Total
Number of Precincts 38
Precincts Reporting 38 100.0 %
Total Votes 8423

AGAINST THE TAX LEVY 4255 50.52%
FOR THE TAX LEVY 4168 49.48%
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 9:36am
Price and the BOE have no one to blame but themselves in this matter.  The issues should have been separated, one being the renewal which would have probably passed and the other being the increase.

The students should look to the School Admin and the BOE, if they want to place blame anywhere, for this failure and the cuts that were made and not the residents of Middletown.
Bill Rogers View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Price and the BOE have no one to blame but themselves in this matter.  The issues should have been separated, one being the renewal which would have probably passed and the other being the increase.

The students should look to the School Admin and the BOE, if they want to place blame anywhere, for this failure and the cuts that were made and not the residents of Middletown.

I recall Dr. Price stating that the reason the BOE couldn't seperate the renewal and the increase is that there are limited amounts of issues they can put on the ballot yearly, yet they don't seem shy about hitting us with this vote every 3 months until we pass it. They've already discussed putting it on the ballot again in November, and I don't see how it could possibly fail if they do, as the supporters of the levy were over 8% closer to passing it yesterday than they were in May. More campaigning and more guilting and they'll have their levy passed come November.
buckeye63 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckeye63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 11:25am
Yeah to bad it failed.

I know I had nothing better to do with my money.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 11:26am
I think they should have seperated the renewal money from the new money. Now they are left with nothing.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 11:40am
John you are exactly right.  I find it hard to believe that the Admin and BOE can't understand the concept of protecting what you have.  Rather than be out $5-6 million  they would have been out $1 million +/- and we wouldn't be staring $900.00 Pay to Play, plus all of the other cuts that we are now.  To me this was just pure and simple poor leadership.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 11:55am
It was just strongarm tactics, and now the students suffer for it. The taxpayers in Middletown have once again shown their disapproval for how things are being done, but rather than admit error the BOE will just push harder in November.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 11:55am

Pacman,

Yup and that little miscalculation does not bode well for Dr. Price!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 8:49am
A recent statement from school board president John Venturella suggests that maybe they're finally getting some sense.

School Board to Separate Renewal and Increase in November
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 1:38pm
What a good idea, separate the renewal money from the additional money.

They were told and told by the voters. High price to pay now that we have to go through all these cuts.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 2:00pm
And what does the Mysterious Citizens Finance Committee recommend once again:

"A finance committee including parents, business leaders and residents met at 7 a.m. today to discuss a recommendation for Superintendent Steve Price to take the board. In an 8 to 5 vote, the committee decided to recommend combining the issues."

If Price and the BOE go along with this Price should be fired and the BOE recalled out of Office.  The current citizens committee should be immediately replaced with a group with some common sense.

This is totally ridicules.Angry
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:11am

And what does the Mysterious Citizens Finance Committee recommend once again:

"A finance committee including parents, business leaders and residents met at 7 a.m. today to discuss a recommendation for Superintendent Steve Price to take the board. In an 8 to 5 vote, the committee decided to recommend combining the issues."

If Price and the BOE go along with this Price should be fired and the BOE recalled out of Office.  The current citizens committee should be immediately replaced with a group with some common sense.

This is totally ridicules.Angry

While I agree it's the wrong move to make, and the majority of voters in Middletown agree as well, I think the combined levy would pass in November anyway. The margin was narrow enough this time, with enough campaigning they would probably pull it off.

Not that that makes it right.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 10:29am
Packman brought to my attention tha the committee recommends keeping the renewal and new money together on the same issue.

Is that insane?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 11:34am
Bill I am sure that is what the committee is counting on, the fact that the gap has closed and that once people see the cuts in action they will vote yes.  But with the Report card coming out and the poor performance by Middletown once again, this may just push some to vote no.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 2:24pm
I have it on good authority that unless something changes between now and tomorrow morning the levy will be split, but you never know around here.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:21am

I have it on good authority that unless something changes between now and tomorrow morning the levy will be split, but you never know around here.

Your sources are good.

http://middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=2626
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic