FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Levy Failed :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Levy Failed :(
    Posted: Aug 18 2007 at 2:45pm

You can also submit a comment on this video at this location:
http://www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=2636
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2007 at 2:52pm
My comment is this....

The video brought a tear to my eye. Its sad that such a small increase was rejected by the voters. And if the voters "see" better the consequence of the levy failure, they might "understand" better too.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2007 at 9:58pm
Sorry John no tears here.  Voting no on the levy had zero to do with the money and everything to do with a school system which is failing the students and this city.  85% of the budget goes to salary and benefits.  Teachers are demanding more pay and benefits and their is little movement in the Middletown Report Card.

Just look at Dayton school teachers, they file a grievence because the school admin/BOE tells them they must do their daily planning before or after school.  Nope can't do that we aren't getting paid for it.

John you ever take any work home with you.  I do every day.

The scores in the Middle Schools is what I find the most disturbing, the Middle Schools seems to be where everything fails apart here.

The students are being failed by the School system and in many cases by their own family not by the citizens of Middletown.  I refuse to vote yes on anymore levys as long as 85% is going to Salaries and benefits and 15% is going to the actual running of the schools.

My son had 15 year old text books in Middletown, just so the teacher can have another raise when they are already making twice what the average worker in Middletown does, sorry no way.

Get the scores up, lets have some concessions from the Admin and Teachers Union on salaries and let them pay more of their benefits, then I will be more than happy to vote for an increase, and my son isn't even enrolled in Middletown anymore, I would still vote for the increase, but the changes must come first.

Bill Rogers View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 10:24am
I don't know how you can not feel sorry for the kids here. They bear no responsibility for the bad decisions of the BOE here and they are the ones directly affected.

That said, this needed to be done and it's good that the message finally sunk in.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 11:49am
Bill, everyone wants to blame the voters.  You know what if we had passed the Levy everything would have gone back to status quo.  The voters and the students need to get off their asses and put the blame right where it belongs.  The High School has now gone from being Effective, backwards to being just continuous improvement.

Voting in the increase does what, 85% of the increase will just go to salaries and benefits.

No one will hold the Admin. and BOE and Schools accountable, no one will force change if the levys just keep passing with a "but it is such a small increase".  The Middletown Education system is crumbling and no one wants to make changes, just keep shoveling the money at it.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 11:57am
Bill I am not being a hard ass on this matter, I just don't see any change coming unless it is forced.  I have also already contributed far more than the tax would have cost me to the 543 Committee, so I do have a heart somewhere.Wink
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 9:46pm
The absolute worst public relations/elective issue campaign imaginable.
A disaster from day 1.
An insult to the voter.
The frantic parents and kids were used as an emotional display throughout, then immediately kicked to the curb like rubbish.
Then today, pay to play drops by 60%+.
This administration has crossed up the voter immediately following each recent election.
Could any municipal organization have less credibility?
Those who created the last two election campaigns deserve to be replaced.
The campaigns were well-funded and had the support of almost all the names.
But that alone wasn't near enough. .75 votes per student would have been a winner, instead an overwhelmgly diverse majority with no real organization other than fiscal/academic responsibility and common sense,
won out decisively.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 5:24am
Spider you are exactly right.  When they announced that the Pay to Play fees would be reduced, we were led to believe it was due to coaches and advisers stepping up and vounteering their time and today we learn from the MJ:

"On Monday, after a meeting with Superintendent Steve Price, coaches and advisers of the school activities agreed to work for free or at least defer payment until a levy passes for the fall season to lower students' participation fees."

So much for the Coaches and advisors stepping up and doing the.............

Bill Rogers View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2007 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Spider you are exactly right.  When they announced that the Pay to Play fees would be reduced, we were led to believe it was due to coaches and advisers stepping up and vounteering their time and today we learn from the MJ:

"On Monday, after a meeting with Superintendent Steve Price, coaches and advisers of the school activities agreed to work for free or at least defer payment until a levy passes for the fall season to lower students' participation fees."

So much for the Coaches and advisors stepping up and doing the.............

It's not the huge generous contribution it's being spun as, deferring payment until November. Then again, I suppose it isn't a lock yet that the increase will get passed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic