FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fill in the blank!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fill in the blank!!!
    Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 3:55am
 According to Mr. Richter’s story in yesterday’s Journal regarding the reassignment of office space in City Hall, Ms. Virginia Ritan was quoted as saying:

“There’s been lots of discussion but there is no plan in place.”

I began to wonder how many different things there are in Middletown to which that statement legitimately applies.

Would anyone care to try to “fill in the blank”??? (Perhaps Mr. Richter will write about some of the best?)

“There’s been lots of discussion about____________, but there is no plan in place.”

It’s my idea, so I’ll go first (and take the easiest one! Heh, heh, heh.)

“There’s been lots of discussion about repairing our streets, but there is no plan in place.”

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 6:41am
Mike- this will work with repairing the streets or economic development or communicating with the people. Will it work with SECTION 8? How about USING HUD MONEY OR CDBG MONEY? They've demonstrated that there is a plan in place to spend for Section 8 and are very skilled at using (abusing) HUD/CDBG money. Gilleland has also mentioned that she, at one time, had planned to make the city building operation more efficient with the elimination of positions. Sooo- "There's been lots of discussion about ELIMINATING POSITIONS WITHIN THE CITY BUILDING, but there is no plan in place." - doesn't apply because Judith has already moved people around, hired for more positions under the radar but hasn't really downsized. The city building is still top heavy with management level people.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 4:27pm
Well, Vet, let's try!!!

“There’s been lots of discussion about reducing the number of section 8 vouchers, but there is no plan in place.”

Yep!!!  That looks "correct" to me!!  We (both citizens and city hall) talked and talked and talked, and have set a "goal" to reduce vouchers "10% per year by attrition, but there is no real plan to reach that goal.  There is a long waiting list already in place, and there has been no announcement of a freeze on accepting applications, nor any other definite method of cutting back, so I guess that we are waiting for folks to either move or die, until the the never-ending waiting list ends.  Does THAT sound like a "plan" to you? It sure doesn't to me.

Am I wrong???  If so, will someone please explain how, and what "the plan" actually is!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 4:45pm
Let's see, Vet, what was next?

“There’s been lots of discussion about how to use CDBG money, but there is no plan in place.”

Yep, that looks right also! We,ve heard all kinds of talk and talk, and more talk about that, and I, myself, have pointed out several times over the years that at least a portion of this money CAN and SHOULD BE used for STREET REPAIRS in our poorest neighborhoods.  I've even had nearly EVERYONE (except Reverend Tyus, when he was finishing up a year of Mr. Hill's council term as an appointee) at City Hall AGREE with me that this would be a proper use.  Yet, for some reason, for many years City Hall insisted that this money be used for "beautification" and much of it went unspent!!!  (A good portion WAS spent on some of the properties on S. Main Street, according to usually reliable sources.)  Even now the bulk of the money goes for things like paving alleys, paving bike paths, and paying city salaries.  Absolutely none (to my knowledge) has gone to pave roads.  Does THAT sound like a "plan" for "Community Development" to you?  It doesn't to me!

Am I wrong???  If so, will someone please explain how, and what "the plan" actually is!

See, Vet, that's how it's done!!!  It's easy.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 5:02pm
And just think..Mr. Adkins is now applying for another 10.2 million dollars of CDBG Funds for Middletown.
But please remember that Mr. Becker did question Mr. Adkins at the council meeting if this would require us to have even MORE Section 8 housing and Mr. Adkins said NO.
Does anyone really believe that the City is going to give up this GOLDEN GOOSE called Section 8 & HUD? ...NOT I....
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2009 at 9:21am
Mike- perhaps I didn't communicate very well on this. I looked at your "fill in the blank" post on Section 8 and CDBG plans as the city already having a plan in place for these and are currently executing them. There's been no "discussion about" going on to fill in the blank on these because they are already in place and operating. They just aren't telling us what is going on and appear to be reluctant to include us in any of the details on their "creative spending". Guess it's all in the way I deciphered your post. There is a plan with the streets. It's a diversionary plan that paves a few alleys that don't matter and some main thoroughfares that are "high visability to the public" PR gimmicks to passify us and to get us off their backs to come up with a real plan. Smoke and mirrors.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2009 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Let's see, Vet, what was next?

“There’s been lots of discussion about how to use CDBG money, but there is no plan in place.”

Y that at least a portion of this money CAN and SHOULD BE used for STREET REPAIRS in our poorest neighborhoods. 

See, Vet, that's how it's done!!!  It's easy.

The answer to your question is right in the Middletown City Master Plan. When speaking of Street Repair there is no mention of anything other than making us realize that we have no choice but to pass a Tax Levey dedicated to Street Repair.  I read it and it made my blood boil. Effectively the Master Plan is saying NO Street Repair till the voters cave and pass the Levey that City Government wants.

We can have Gravel Roads before I cave! I refuse to be Extorted!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic