FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8 & Middletown Housing Authority

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:49am
I have a question...Do we have a Middletown Habitat for Humanity Group?
If so why aren't they doing any rehab work in some of these older homes as they have in other communities?  
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:10am
Well, Spider, at least no matter what the Middletown Housing Authority decides to do, there IS a "check" on them since the city council must appropriate any money before they can spend it!!!

Oops, no, WAIT!!!  Those two groups are EXACTLY THE SAME, aren't they???

I guess that "checks and balances" in Middletown will continue to mean that Council will write CHECKS as long as there is a BALANCE in any account that they can get their hands on!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 3:14pm
OK- Schiavone says he believes HUD is trying to work with older,industrial cities, and he hopes the city can "reap the rewards of this program" WHAT????? Voner, pray tell us what would be the "rewards" coming from HUD programs? Let's see- lowering the town's image- attracting HUD candidates that will lower the income levels, lower the spending and money flow within the town - lowering the overall property values in town - perhaps with a "HUD climate" in town at the level city leaders are pushing for, a higher crime rate - more blinds hanging out of windows - more junky used furniture lying about for the trashmen to haul away - more paint peeling - more junker cars parked on the streets (and in the bare spots on the lawn of the HUD home) lower tax base as people with higher incomes start moving out replaced by lower income residents - an "appalachian feel" to the town - You know- when Cincinnati and Dayton finally meet in the middle, we will be truely the middle of a vast metropolis. Unfortunately, with HUD and Section 8 dominating the scene and firmly entrenched here, we will be the area that they will call the SLUMS or GHETTOTOWN We can thank the city leaders now for that distinction in the future for they are dragging this town into being HUDTOWN USA. CLEAN HOUSE- well, you know the rest
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 4:01pm

CITY OF MIDDLETOWN TO REINVENT EXISTING FEDERAL HOUSING ADMINISTRATION (FHA) HOMEOWNERSHIP INCENTIVE PROGRAM FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT, TEACHERS, FIRE FIGHTERS & EMERGENCY PERSONNEL???ConfusedConfusedConfused

It seems that the new Community Revitalization Department braintrust wants to reinvent an already existing FHA home ownership initiative that has helped/is helping police, emergency and fire fighting personnel plus teachers in purchasing government owned housing at significant discounts???ConfusedConfusedConfused

At the last City Council meeting a prominent member mentioned a project that Community Revitalization Department staff is working on to provide financial incentives to assist these classifications of local government employees to purchase homes at discounts.  It would appear that he and City of Middletown staff are unaware of the following???ConfusedConfusedConfused

I hope that they won't mind me bringing this matter to their attention so that the multi-million dollars of HUD funds they plan on can be used as wisely and efficiently as possible???ConfusedConfusedConfused

About HUD Good Neighbor Next Door

- -
 Information by State
 Esta página en español
 Print version

-
Related Information
-
%20-%20  Good Neighbor main page
%20-%20  Good Neighbor Mortgages
%20-%20  Homeownership Center
%20-%20  Property Listings by State
%20-%20  Revitalization Areas

Law enforcement officers, pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade teachers and firefighters/emergency medical technicians can contribute to community revitalization while becoming homeowners through HUD's Good Neighbor Next Door Sales Program. HUD offers a substantial incentive in the form of a discount of 50% from the list price of the home. In return you must commit to live in the property for 36 months as your sole residence.

How the Program Works

Eligible Single Family homes located in revitalization areas are listed exclusively for sales through the Good Neighbor Next Door Sales program. Properties are available for purchase through the program for five days.

How to Participate in Good Neighbor Next Door

Check the listings for your state. Follow the instructions to submit your interest in purchasing a specific home. If more than one person submits on a single home a selection will be made by random lottery. You must meet the requirements for a law enforcement officer, teacher, firefighter or emergency medical technician and comply with HUD's regulations for the program.

HUD requires that you sign a second mortgage and note for the discount amount. No interest or payments are required on this "silent second" provided that you fulfill the three-year occupancy requirement.

The number of properties available is limited and the list of available properties changes weekly.

To learn more, please see our Good Neighbor Sales Frequently Asked Questions!

Comments and Questions

%20

Content current as of 27 February 2007   Follow%20this%20link%20to%20go  Back to top   
----------
FOIA Privacy Web Policies and Important Links  Home %5blogo:%20Fair%20Housing%20and%20Equal%20Opportunity%5d
%5bLogo:%20HUD%20seal%5d U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112   TTY: (202) 708-1455
Find the address of a HUD office near you
pattyinohio View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattyinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 6:52pm
I am new to this blog but have been reading comments for a while. I have at times smiled, Smile laughed,LOL shook my head Confused but most of the time everyone is very informative about what 's going on in our city.  I have a question about section 8, is  there  to many section 8 houses or should we have no section 8 at all ?  I think section 8 is a good program but not being used as it should be, like food stamps that people sale for money.  I have seen people who do not deserve to be on section 8 and i know people waiting for a the vouchers to be released who are really in need of the help. How can it ever be fixed so those that do not abuse it can get it ? I know this is going to hurt Ouch  but do you have  any ideas ?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:23pm
Section 8 is fine for LEGITIMATE users of the program. The rap on the Section 8 program here in Middletown is the AMOUNT of Section 8 housing the city has and apparently wants to increase because the federal program provides revenue for the city. Since the city leaders don't want to address the lack of revenue problem by luring companies to town to create jobs that will allow more people to earn money and move to the city to buy the abundance of homes for sale, they are trying every trick in the book (such as Section 8 saturation funds) (EXCEPT traditional means) to raise revenue. We have , at last count, 1662 Section 8 vouchers (probably more to come). The city is slated for approx. 700 or so by population. Middletown has more Section 8 vouchers than any city in Butler County by a large margin. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that posters) That's the problem here. We citizens who care, are mad as he-- about the 1662 and the apparent plan by the city manager and others to make Middletown the slum capital of Ohio by saturating the town with HUD/Section 8. We've gone from a normal blue collar town to an Appalachian slum ghetto town using this approach. JMO
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:33pm
Question:  Are the anointed imaginary railroad engineers of the "HUD High Speed Passenger Train To Nowhere" really qualified to keep from running off of the tracks here in Middletown?ConfusedConfused

Millions of Federal funny money dollars are now at their disposal and it looks like they don't know how to apply the brakes to the runaway train??OuchOuch
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattyinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:29pm
Thanks for your reply. I had no idea there were that many section 8 houses in middletown., but until they get jobs in this town again i imagine the numbers will go up. I grew up in this town and hate to see it declinging.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:18pm

$25 million slated for the county under revitalization and Middeltown is getting $19 million of it. Wonder how quickly that money will vanish into unknown places ? Why isn't Hamilton in trouble ? Isn't Hamilton bigger than Middeltown ? I never hear about the woes of Hamilton.

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:03pm
Pattyinohio it is not the Section 8 program that is the problem it is the excessive amount of Section 8 that Middletown has.  Middletown supposedly has 1662 Section 8 Vouchers assigned by HUD but has had up to 1698 in use in a given month.  Supposedly Section 8 vouchers were supposed to be reduced to about 700-800 by the city by attrition but some say now the City has reneged on that statement  To put it in perspective the last time I checked Middletown had 1 Section 8 voucher for every 31 residents and New York City had 1 for every 100 residents.  Our Section 8 is excessive considering our Population in Butler County.  We make up 15% of Butler County's residents yet have 60-70% of the Section 8 Vouchers.  There is something wrong with the system and City leadership that permits this to happen.

No one is saying not to have Section 8 only that the numbers of Vouchers needs to be brought more in line with the Cities percentage of population in the county.  The City also maintains a waiting list of 500 residents for its Section 8 vouchers and 22% of it's population lives below the poverty line.  This much Section 8 and the large waiting list and the Public Housing numbers just adds up to a City with Socioeconomically way out of Balance.

As you can see by following the City Council meetings most of what council deals with is HUD, HUD, HUD. and 2-3 years just to get a new Section 8 admin contract.  it is as if nothing else exists in the City but HUD, Section 8 and Poverty.  The City deals with little else as the only funds they can get are Government HUD Funds.

There is more to Middletown than HUD, Section 8, HUD, Section 8, Poverty, unfortunately that is what Council focuses on.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattyinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 4:15pm
Thanks for your reply Pac Man I can see the problem with the HUD situation. I have a grandson who is a special needs adult (19 yrs old ) he's been waiting for a  voucher for close to a year He get ssi and does not have alot of money for rent and section 8 would really help him. Its a shame it is abused because that makes it hard for the people who need it to be left without the help. i know of a case where a woman with kids has section 8 and her  boyfriend works at ak and they live together, it abuses like this that need worked on but i don't ever see that happening anyway thanks for your info  
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by pattyinohio pattyinohio wrote:

Thanks for your reply Pac Man I can see the problem with the HUD situation. I have a grandson who is a special needs adult (19 yrs old ) he's been waiting for a  voucher for close to a year He get ssi and does not have alot of money for rent and section 8 would really help him. Its a shame it is abused because that makes it hard for the people who need it to be left without the help. i know of a case where a woman with kids has section 8 and her  boyfriend works at ak and they live together, it abuses like this that need worked on but i don't ever see that happening anyway thanks for your info  

They actually have to temporarily De-Man the Apartment for their scheduled inspections. This is a common practice and I am sure the Inspectors are aware. Generally the "Man" provides little Luxury items like Cable to stay in good with the Lease Holder.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 7:51am
Originally posted by pattyinohio pattyinohio wrote:

I know this is going to hurt Ouch  but do you have  any ideas ?
Patty,
That didn't hurt at all, did it? Big%20smile
We aren't as evil as some make us out to be.  In fact, we are a quite amicable and helpful bunch...as long as you do not attack us.
You might even find us to be...

...nice.

(But don't tell anyone. You'll ruin our reputations!Embarrassed)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattyinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 10:17am
Mike
    I promise not to ruin your reputation by using the four letter word (n--e) Wink They members on this blog are very helpful.  Are any of you going to runfor city council ? You would be a great asset to this city. Thanks for your replies and help Big%20smile 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 6:33am
INTERNAL HUD INSPECTOR GENERAL AUDIT OF PHILADELPHIA & BALTIMORE FIELD OFFICES DID NOT ADEQUATELY MONITOR CDBG PROGRAM GRANTEES -- MAYBE THEY WOULD LIKE TO EXAMINE THE RECENT HUD COLUMBUS FIELD OFFICE "MONITORING" OF THE CITY OF MIDDLETOWN TOO??ConfusedConfusedConfused

We audited the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) monitoring of its Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program grantees under the jurisdiction of the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Baltimore, Maryland, Community Planning and Development (CPD) field offices as part of our annual audit plan. The audit objective was to determine whether those offices adequately monitored their CDBG program grantees to ensure that they used their grant funds to assist low- and moderate-income families through eligible activities according to HUD requirements. The Philadelphia and Baltimore CPD field offices did not adequately document their monitoring of CDBG program grantees. Specifically, the field offices did not always maintain documentation to demonstrate that their monitoring was complete and did not always notify grantees of the findings and concerns identified during on-site monitoring within the required time limit. We recommended that the Directors of HUD’s Philadelphia and Baltimore CPD field offices reemphasize to their staffs the importance of following established monitoring procedures, specifically to ensure that all correspondence, documentation, and work papers relating to the monitoring and conclusions are maintained in the official monitoring files; monitoring officials use the required monitoring exhibits; monitoring officials answer all of the questions and fill in all of the text boxes in the monitoring exhibits; and staffs prepare and send notification of the monitoring results to the grantees within the required 45-day time limit. In addition, we recommended that the Directors develop and implement a written quality assurance procedure and/or mechanism to ensure that monitoring conclusions are appropriately supported by complete documentation and that monitoring letters are submitted to grantees within the 45-day requirement.

This electronic report has been posted to our website and may be viewed directly via this link. This PDF version will allow you to print the report to your local printer.

http://www.hud.gov/utilities/intercept.cfm?/offices/oig/reports/files/ig0930002.pdf

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 9:57am
SECTION 8 -- MORE HYPOCRISY FROM CITY HALL & SELECTIVE LOCAL "REPORTING"

Eddie -

Amongst the volumes of information that I foolishly provided you about the waste and mismanagement of HUD funds, please check your e-mails, etc. regarding Section 8.  You will find information that conflicts with today's news article about the highly-controversial Housing Choice Voucher Program in Middletown!

Shortly after assuming the Community Development Administrator position in January 2007, I was approached by the two Housing Code Specialists and the two Neighborhood Improvement Advisors that I supervised.  I learned that these CDBG-funded personnel were previously directed by senior Planning Department staff NOT TO HANDLE Section 8 properties as they would all other code deficient properties.  Their rationale was that the long-time Section 8 administrator already had HUD-paid staff to take care of this matter.

Please note that I changed this policy immediately.  I informed these four staff members to notify the Section 8 administrator and me whenever they found housing code violations during their routine cavassing of neighborhoods.  Also, please note that there were many e-mails and phone calls made by me to the Section 8 administrator each and every time a violation was found.  I dictated that follow-up site inspections take place between my staff and the Section 8 staff to ensure that all International Property Maintenance Code violations were satisfactorily corrected.  I hope that this overview enlightens you!  Your comments about Judy Gilleland's role in addressing this matter needs to be re-examined.

Eddie, you also point out issues involving Housing Choice Voucher background checks and the possible lack thereof.  In March of 2008 I was contacted by Middletown Police Department personnel regarding this matter.  Even though Judy Gilleland and Marty Kohler had taken over all Section 8 matters of any importance, I recall setting up one or two meetings with Sgt. Cunningham, etc. and C.O.N.S.O.C. to discuss this matter and to find mutually acceptable solutions.  This resulted in closer dialogue between C.O.N.S.O.C. and the Police.  I hope that this overview enlightens you!  Your comments about Judy Gilleland's role in addressing this matter needs to be re-examined.

You also fail to mention that it was me who started the process of requesting monthly databases of Housing Choice Voucher properties and owners from C.O.N.S.O.C. in the latter part of 2007.  I don't believe that this occurred before.  I made certain that Middletown Police, Les Landen, Judy Gilleland, Marty Kohler, my staff and the Water Department received these lists.  Major Hoffman and others can attest to this!

Shortly after my employment ended with the City of Middletown in January of this year, one of Miss Gilleland's weekly newsletters mentioned the departure of a key staff person who administered Section 8 as well as the CDBG and HOME Programs.  She failed to mention that I had little to nothing to do with Section 8 about one year before as noted previously and that I was "railroaded" out of my position.  Do you remember using the term "railroaded" when I finally agreed to meet with you in person and your boss at Pisanello's Pizza in Franklin about six days following my official departure in late January of 2009?

If I sound angry ......................... wouldn't you be?  Please report the facts as they actually occurred!  You have more than enough information to FINALLY set the record straight about so many abuses of HUD funds!

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 3:51am
The Real Truth About HUD Section 8 Tenant Screening & Middletown Police Department, C.O.N.S.O.C., Etc.

Question to Ed Richter & Judy Gilleland:  What's the name of the former City of Middletown division head who first obtained lists of the names of Section 8 tenants from C.O.N.S.O.C. beginning in late 2007 at the request of the Middletown Police Department for purposes of doubling-checking criminal records, outstanding warrants, etc.?

Answer:  Nelson Self, Community Development Administrator (1/2007 - 1/2009)
Solutionbased View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solutionbased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2009 at 10:43pm
I agree with you on a couple of points Spiderjohn, the area is an eyesore and I'd bet that none of you know this better than me. You see, I grew up on the Southwest side of Mtown and have seen the drastic change in the community. I visit home less and less due to the depressed spirit that resides over the city. And I'm not just speaking of the southwest side of town, I'm talking about from that sad little exit sign off of 75. You see and feel the lack of life right before you enter the "city".

The thing is no one wants to address the real issues at hand. While the housing market is suffering all over the world I can only imagine the condition things are in back home.  I happen to know a few of the individuals that are purchasing these home and capitalizing off of the unfortunate state the market is in. But at least someones doing something. Sure putting these homes on the Section 8 program hurts but it's better than seeing the homes vacant or boarded up.

How about a private solution, instead of Section 8 vouchers why not do a sort of habitat for humanity type program allowing these individuals to put sweat equity into a home. How about that? Maybe put a timeframe on which what can have the Section 8 voucher and then migrate them to homeownership provided they work and help with the building of the home.

I'm all for the program being used when needed and not being abused. But to hear you all comment on a people you see as no more than a number quite frankly upsets me to my core. And trust me, I'm a thick skinned woman with a heart of stone. My only weak spot in my people. I mean that in every sense of the word. Middletown is and always will be home to me. No matter who I become, where I go, the people I rub elbows with etc. It's home.

You see, I've long since relocated to Atlanta GA and am doing better both spiritually and financially than most back home. Even better than those that consider themselves as the "haves". Many are quick to point fingers at this majority of individuals but not willing to pitch in to be a part of the solution. While some of the accusations are valid others aren't. Especially, your point about the police, fire, and social systems being further distressed.

I'm not clear on where this point came from and would like to understand more. Especially since I witnessed first hand how all parties mentioned above would put more focus on this one group of individuals while ignore the happenings out on the east end.

Most of the kids I went to school with that were from we to due families had a larger supply of drugs than any kid I ever grew up with standing on the corners.

I'd never seen cocaine, ecstasy nor any other hard drug until I started befriending the children that belonged to the "haves". These children were running around with credit cards, new cars endless supplies of money with nice homes to party in while there parents were "away" on vacation. I myself having seen first hand what drugs could do (seeing how my past was spent living amongst the "have nots") chose not to partake in the activities but instead observed how they freely roamed the streets speeding around in fast cars, partying in parking lots while no law enforcement was in sight.

It's always been that way and from the sound of things always will be.

Enough of that, lately I've done some research on the state that things are in back home and would very much like to be a part of the solution. Someone on this blog posting mentioned JOBS as a vital part of revitalizing the city. I agree 100%.

I'm wondering why some of you "haves" aren't in positions to benefit from the professional relationships you've developed over the years enough to approach some of these major corporations and speak with them about bringing some remote offices to Middletown or something along those lines. The cost of doing business in a rural area such as this and yes I did say rural in comparison to cities I've seen, has to be dirt cheap. From the cost to build on the land, to the cost of paying employees, and so on. It could be beneficial for all parties involved.

I mean I'm sure all of you "haves" have spent time making more than money right? Don't tell me that money is the only thing you "have"  not after all of the input I'm seeing here. Where are the necessary relationships needed to help bring about change? Why wait on the city council to do it? YOU DO IT!

That's the thing with people, we're always seeing problems but don't offer to help. And THAT itself is part of the problem my fellow Middletonians. Talking and not doing!

And trust me when I say, the Southwest isn't the major issue in mtown when it comes to law enforcements stress. It's just the only place they "choose" to focus on.

As far as a drastic divide, I don't think there could be more of one. There's always been a divide. Due to both sides speculating about the other.

I myself have walked both sides of the fence and see things from all angles. There are issues with housing, the job marketing, citizens not contributing to tax dollars and complaining about a failing school system but again all of these issues can be fixed. If everyone stops complaining and takes a look a what they CAN do. There can be a change brought about that would make Mtown a place ALL are happy to call home.

It's a mountain of issues we're talking about but one by one it can be chipped away.

I hate the condition my city is in and am willing to do what I can to help fix things. I'm working from Atlanta on helping any way I can. Utilizing the resources I've collected over the years. Because I realize that at the end of the day having money doesn't make you a "have" especially if you've not done any good with it. Worrying about our own doesn't help the problems go away. We've got step outside our own homes and see what we can do to help another and if we don't we too are a part of the problems that plague mtown. So now the issue becomes less about the haves and have nots and more about those that can't and would do if they could vs could do but won't because the problem is not close enough to home.

In closing, again I'm a product of those you consider to be the "have nots".

My father was a blue collar worker who rose before the sun everyday to drive to Moraine County and work for General Motors. We owned a nice home that sat right on the river on South Main.

My mother worked 2-3 jobs as needed to give us the kind of life she didn't have as a child.

My grandmother worked as a nurse and owned 3 homes all in which she put blood sweat in tears into maintaining.

My aunt is a community leader that has devoted her life to giving love and direction to the children of those "have nots" that you so freely speak about.

I have several drug free, educated, homeowning, tax paying family members who still reside over there with those "have nots" and are living and they're as we speak trying to figure out ways they can make it better with the lack of resources they have at hand.

So when you speak about something, you may want to have more than "drive bys" as your examples of proof to back you up. Or maybe not speaking on it at all would be better if all  you're going to do is talk about it and not do anything to make it better.

FIND SOLUTIONS! And when you find them. Implement them! Come hell or high waters, make a change instead of making a bunch of noise.

Lastly, while I do understand your frustration I can't help but be appalled that all of you "haves" who have so much to say about the "have nots" can't collectively come together and bring about a change. So all in all, money aside, looks like to me you really don't "HAVE" anything at all!

Sincerely,

Solution BasedWink
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 4:39pm
Your assumption that we are all rolling in $$$$ is just pure crap.  As usual it is go do for those that can't or won't do for themselves.  What a load.  You post is so one sided and blind to the total effect of Excessive Section 8, Public Housing and Poverty in Middletown that it is almost laughable.Angry 

The fact that you don't believe that Excessive Section 8, Public Housing and Poverty doesn't use an excessive amount of the City's resources is UNBELIEVABLE. 

Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 7:29pm
City Government and the future of Middletown ............ We're lost, but we're making progress?ConfusedConfused 
Solutionbased View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solutionbased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 8:09pm

As I've asked in my post please explain where I'm missing facts. And as far as my assumption of you all being loaded I only drew that from the "haves" being mentioned a time or two and I can't see what anyone has aside from $. Because from the way I see things if anyone had anything  to contribute to a solution it would have been contributed by now. And yes I'm one sided when it comes to this discussion as all of you are. I've noticed no one is able to speak for the ones that really need the program and I've also no one can state anything against my saying that with these programs in place and the people that utilize them bringing about more issues for law enforcement is only due to the fact that it is all always will be where enforcement chooses to put their attention.

So after you stop laughing let's come up with solutions. I'm not looking to toss around insults I was hurt by what I saw when  I came home and want to help fix it. But just know it's not only the housing program that's the issue it's also ones that sit back point fingers and worry about their own pockets being touched instead of trying to come up with a resolve that will help everyone.

So again after you stop laughing toss in an idea or two to help fix it. I'll call my resources and you do the same...any takers?!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 4:57am
Solutionbased
    I also grew up in Middletown moved away and then returned. When I returned I was upset with the condition of many areas of the city and I'm sorry to say it has only gotten worse over time.
    I do not believe that anyone on this blog is against the HUD or Section 8 programs for those that need it. I don’t believe anyone on this blog wants to see a family homeless or hungry. HOWEVER…What we are against is the fact that City Hall in its greed has made us into “HUDTOWN”,
    Like many government programs that started out to help those in need has now become a beast with a life of its own. When a program cost 50 to 80 cents of every dollar to administer, it is no longer operating to help the poor but to fill the pockets of those that run the programs. I believe this is part of the current problem here in Middletown. SOLUTION: We need to reduce the number of Section 8 rentals. City Hall should be frugal with these government funds and cut cost of administering these programs. Use these government funds to help the citizens of Middletown and not their personal pet projects.
I disagree with you on the matter that the number of Section 8 has no effect on our city. All studies show that it effects the schools, health care and crime rates.
    And we have the major problem of education. Our schools are a mess and therefore we do not have a well educated work force. When the children grow up and can't get a job they find other ways of making money that are not legal and the crime rate goes up and the cycle begins. Young girl have babies with the boys that can't get a job and they drop out of school and the cycle continues. SOLUTION: Head Start Programs need to do a better job of getting our children ready for school. Parents need to get involved in the education of their children long before they ever start school.
    I have tried to solve a few of the above problems however without LEADERSHIP from City Hall and School Board little can be accomplished.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 7:24am
DESCRIPTIONS OF GOVERNMENT IN MIDDLETOWN......

1)  We can't be sensible in "planning" for the future because we might not get there??ConfusedConfusedConfused

2)  The future of Middletown aint what it used to be??ConfusedConfusedConfused 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 7:26am
OK Solutionbased. You stated "if anyone had anything to contribute to a solution...." and "so after you stop laughing let's come up with solutions" and "toss in an idea or two to help fix it"--- SUGGESTED SOLUTION- Reduce the strain on the city's operation/resources. reputation and image and the school's burden by eliminating the overabundance of Section 8. We have 1662 vouchers for the city now. This is 2 1/2 times the number we are suppose to have. Remove the excess Section 8 from the city and distribute it back to the other Butler County cities that have less than their fair share. TYPICALLY, Section 8 creates a hardship for the police with more calls to the area , places a burden on the schools because, TYPICALLY, the Section 8 family does not put a high priority on education. TYPICALLY, Section 8/lower income families send their kids to school unprepared as to hunger, classroom work or attitude. More free lunches are given in Middletown schools due to the abundance of Section 8/lower income families.Talk to the school officials. They're not happy having to deal with all the Section 8 either. As Vivian stated, we have become the Hudtown/Section 8/ lower income capital of SW Ohio ( which will take many years to overcome) and that's not a good thing. It is shameful to us folks who have been around since the 50's. SUGGESTED SOLUTION- city operations- we, the people, are angry, frustrated and disgusted at the way the city is being run. We have tried to talk to the city leaders and have been ignored. We have indicated over the years that we want the city to go in a growing, progressive, job growth oriented, street fixing, business friendly, logical thinking, money frugal, citizen friendly, open government, private investment downtown planning, entertainment driven, income elevating type of town. We have delivered our message loud and clear to the leaders. End result, after years of delivering the message- we are ignored. SOLUTION- the damage has already ben done by the past Councils and city building leaders. Nothing we can do about that now. However, we can begin at the polls by fielding candidates that have a totally different view for the direction of the town and work to get them elected, replacing the current group who are ruining the town as we speak. If successful here, we're not done yet! The second phase of the change is to clear out the deadwood in the city building. Mass forced resignations must occur from the city manager on down, eliminating the habitual problem children like Planning Director Kohler and others like him. People like him have done so much damage to this city that it will take years to recover. SUGGESTED SOLUTION- we have gone years without producing much of anything on the job front from our so-called Economic Development Department. They have, for the most part, been a non-factor in bringing in any meaningful employment for the people in town. Pittedly little $7 /hour jobs don't count in today's world as to a livable wage. Can't have anything of any worth with that wage scale. Fire the whole Econ. Dev. department and hire a new crew with the stipulation that they will gain the city some meaningful jobs in a certain time period or we'll keep cleaning house until we find a workable combination of people.Change marketing strategy, emphasize the location factor on the I-75 corridor. Go after corporate tech centers, fiber optics companies, communications companies, environmental equipment manufacturers, etc. Don't settle for "industrial park" type positions and wages. He--, find some successful employment marketers in other cities and adjust their plan to fit this city. Use success to breed success.Jobs, jobs and more jobs!!! I relinquish the floor to the other learned members on this site-- Anyone with any other ideas for Solutionbased????? She still may not be convinced that we do have our own ideas and are not just "complainers".
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 9:55am
TWO FINAL CITY OF MIDDLETOWN QUOTES:

"If concerned citizens should ask us questions that we don't know, we won't answer?" ConfusedConfusedConfused

Or,

"When concerned citizens ask us questions that we refuse to answer, then we won't!" AngryAngryAngry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic