FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doug Adkins Answers A Few Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doug Adkins Answers A Few Questions
    Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 11:55am
Some people on the forum have  questions about the demolishing of some houses around town. I said I would see what I could find out from Mr.Adkins. I only asked him 4 questions taken from the MUSA forum. Why 4? Well lets be realistic if you scan the forum there are far too many questions to believe someone will have the time to answer. I would like to thank Mr. Adkins for taking the time to answer the questions I did ask.

So here are the questions I asked of our  Community Revitalization Director

Randy,

Here are your answers.

1)  What are the address of the 17 houses that have been demolished? 

1709 Flemming (garage only)

625 Garfield

3210 Seneca

1010 Yankee

723 10th

214 Young

1317 Woodlawn

1903 Casper

1120 Garfield

830 Sixteenth

527 Baltimore

527 Baltimore

403 Baltimore

1425 Oxford State Rd

624 Moore

1117 Young

1810 Columbia

For whatever reason, 527 Baltimore is on the spreadsheet twice.  Obviously, we only demolished the house one time.

2.) How many houses are left to be demolished? What the address to those houses? 

Currently, demolition is being paid for with NSP funds.  Per the NSP substantial amendment sent to HUD, we have a total of $433,847 to obligate towards residential demolition.  To date, $91,770 of this budget has been obligated/spent.  Based on the remaining budget and assuming an average demolition cost of $8,000 per property, then approximately 35-40 more properties are left to be demolished out of this funding.  All of the specific property addresses for demolition are not known until the Chief Building Official notifies the department of more demolition candidates.  He is notified of potential demolition properties by Code Enforcement staff, drive by's, or phone-in's.  The addresses that are currently in the demolition justification process (i.e. are in 20 day notice period, are being appealed, awaiting bids/title, etc) are:

232 Park

520 Garfield

215 Baltimore

306 Charles

2106 Pearl St

2011 Linden Ave

115 Crawford St

1508 taylor Ave

2007 Pearl St

2100 Grand Ave

3.) Have NSP funds been used to acquire homes to be rehabilitated and then resold?

Not at this time.  We are in the process of executing a contract with an Appraiser to assist in evaluation of projects and properties for acquisition.  We have been criticized in the past for poor project selection and execution.  We are changing our policies, procedures and standards to address those concerns.  In my opinion, taking the time to develop more efficient policies with safeguards is worth the delay in executing on rehab properties.  Depending on the execution date of the Appraiser’s contract, we should be ready to purchase our first properties for NSP rehab in October.  We do not have a current prospect list of properties at this time.  As we get closer to having all the pieces in place to make good decisions, we will develop those lists.

4.) Regarding question 4, will you please provide a listing of thes
e foreclosed homes and acquisition and projected rehabilitation cost?  

None to date.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 1:23pm
Doug Adkins Responds - Houses Left To Be Demolished

The following Federal Home Association (FHA) "Dollar Homes" were conveyed to City of Middletown in early 2006.  Then, title was conveyed to Neighborhood Housing Services (NHS) in mid-2006.  Next, they were in turn deeded by NHS back to the City in the spring of 2008 due to lack of progrress in repairing and reselling these homes.  In the following 16 months no rehabilitation was undertaken by the City.

Since these houses have been determined not worthy of rehabilitation and resale by current staff, how much HUD funding has been spent over the past 3.5 years for: property taxes, property insurance, routine property maintenance, Law Department legal fees, appraisals, etc., etc.?  This information is readily available.  And, this program was thoroughly reviewed by the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee that was abolished earlier this year!

2007 Pearl Street
2106 Pearl Street
1908 Taylor Avenue
115 Crawford Street
2100 Grand Avenue
2011 Linden Avenue
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 1:33pm
Randy -

HUD rules and regulations for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program are very clear regarding public input and citizens participation.  The questions asked of Mr. Adkins regarding the FY 2009 CDBG Substantial Amendment are reasonable and should be easily answered.

Randy, the proposed FY 2009 CDBG Substantial Amendment that is to be submitted to the HUD Columbus Field Office must include items such publisher's certificates of newspaper publication, citizen comments, distribution of the entire Substantial Amendment at places such as a library, senior citizens center, city offices, etc., so that citizens can read what is proposed.

I know that HUD rules and regulations are perplexing to many citizens.  However, these questions are not excessive.  After all, this information falls under the topic of CITIZENS PARTICIPATION.

I wish that you will reconsider your decision not to ask these questions!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 4:48pm
Rail Fan, I am not asking these questions of Mr. Adkins. I asked 4 questions he answered them. I am sure that he would be happy to answer the same questions for you. I suggest that you send him an email. His email is on the city's website.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 10:42pm
Mr. Adkins has received the e-mails posted here and copies were sent to you.  We hope that he will answer these questions as the information requested is readily available to him and his staff.

JPS
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 10:53pm
Randy & Pac -

It was almost one year ago the HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One application was presented by Ginger Smith to the City Council as an EMERGENCY item.  We were told that there was an 18 month window to spend these NSP funds and that time was of the essence.  After the fact in January 2009. members of the City Council including David Schiavone, Bill Becker and Tony Marconi voiced concerns that the NSP Program should focus more on demolition than the purchase-rehab-resale component.  They went on to add that the City should not be invovled in the real estate business.  Only a couple of months after that they changed their minds and approved the multi-million NSP - Round Two application which included a sizable amont of HUD funds for purchase-rehab-resale activities.

It appears that City staff will need to move forward rapidly to meet the deadline in spending the $2.144 million in NSP funds.

JSP
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 4:46am
Randy -

Some of these answers are confusing and contradictory based upon previous comments made by Mr. Adkins and Ginger Smith at City Council meetings over the past 10 months.

First, Mrs. Smith stated at the NSP public hearing last November that the City would be ACQUIRING houses.beyond the feasibility of rehabilitation and then would DEMOLISH same.  Now, per the recent answer of Mr. Adkins, it appears that the City will only demolish houses (not ACQUIRE them) and place liens against same for the cost of leveling them?. Second, Mr. Adkins mentions the NSP substantial amendment and not the CDBG amendment that was recently presented at the City Council meeting.  Is the NSP grant being significantly modified as is the FY 2009 CDBG Annual Action Plan?  Third, Mr. Adkins refers to the NSP substantial amendment that has been sent to HUD.  I thought that the amendment to whatever required a second reading at the next City Council meeting?  All of this is so bewildering since there is no legitimate Citizens Participation Oversight Committee now?

Response from Mr. Adkins -
2.) How many houses are left to be demolished? What the address to those houses? 

Currently, demolition is being paid for with NSP funds.  Per the NSP substantial amendment sent to HUD, we have a total of $433,847 to obligate towards residential demolition.  To date, $91,770 of this budget has been obligated/spent.  Based on the remaining budget and assuming an average demolition cost of $8,000 per property, then approximately 35-40 more properties are left to be demolished out of this funding.  All of the specific property addresses for demolition are not known until the Chief Building Official notifies the department of more demolition candidates.  He is notified of potential demolition properties by Code Enforcement staff, drive by's, or phone-in's.  The addresses that are currently in the demolition justification process (i.e. are in 20 day notice period, are being appealed, awaiting bids/title, etc) are:   

232 Park

520 Garfield

215 Baltimore

306 Charles

2106 Pearl St

2011 Linden Ave

115 Crawford St

1508 taylor Ave

2007 Pearl St

2100 Grand Ave

FHA "Dollar Homes" conveyed to the City in the spring of 2006.

Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 5:09am
Randy -

It was recently mentioned by Mr. Adkins that NSP funds would be used to create a LAND BANK.

How can this happen if HUD monies are used to demolish homes without acquiring them first?

This is really perplexing.

JPS
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 6:44am
Does this quote from Adkins above no imply that the city is acquiring these properties prior to demolision:

"The addresses that are currently in the demolition justification process (i.e. are in 20 day notice period, are being appealed, awaiting bids/title, etc)"
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 2:08pm
Pacman Quote, Does this quote from Adkins above no imply that the city is acquiring these properties prior to demolision?

Doug Adkins Quote, "The addresses that are currently in the demolition justification process (i.e. are in 20 day notice period, are being appealed, awaiting bids/title, etc)"

My Question, How come Mr. Adkins said that 17 houses have been demolished so far and that no houses had been purchased as of yet.  That seems mighty clear that no demolished houses were purchased prior to their clearance?

JPS
Sports Mom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sports Mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 2:47pm
Pacman Quote, Does this quote from Adkins above no imply that the city is acquiring these properties prior to demolision?

Doug Adkins Quote, "The addresses that are currently in the demolition justification process (i.e. are in 20 day notice period, are being appealed, awaiting bids/title, etc)"

Pac & Rail,

Awaiting title does not mean the City has purchased them.  They have to order a title search on every property for notification purposes.   This in no way indicates the City has purchased any of these properties.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 2:52pm
Hi Sports Mom -

Mr. Adkins has $2.144 million of NSP funds at his disposal.  By his own words last Tuesday, none of the more than $1.0 million of NSP funds allocated for property acquisition-rehab-resale has been spent.

You are correct in that properties are being demolished and not acquired first.  This was not what Ginger Smith told City Council last November when the NSP application was sent to HUD.

Go Chipper Go!  Billy Cox.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 3:30pm
Isn't a "title search" as you state Sports Mom and "awaiting Title" two different things.  To me "awaiting title" implies a Title search has been done.  I am not in the HUD biz thank god, but just the way it reads.
Sports Mom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sports Mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 4:25pm
Rail-Thanks for making me smile.  Hope all is well.

Wasteful-I just know the demo process for Middletown and was explaining waiting on title was referring to the title info.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 4:33pm
Now I am curious Sports Mom, so if that is what that means how do you demo a house you don't own or have title to, is there some special process for getting ownership of a house the city is going to demo.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 7:49pm

My friend with much HUD experience tells me that the laws of Ohio permit cities to demolish properties that are beyond repair and represent a safety hazard to the general public.  I am further told that the city has Attorney Don Imhoff to do title searches for all properties that are to be cleared.  This is to verify ownership, etc.  Lastly, he adds that to date no property demolished has been acquired first.  This is totally contradictory to City Council testimony by Ginger Smith late last year and again early in 2009.  The city has the legal right to demolish properties not meeting Ohio laws and housing codes.  The cost of CDBG and now NSP-funded demolition is placed against an owners property as a lien.  I hope this clears things up some.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 10:31pm

Rail Fan didn't Adkins say at a recent Council meeting that in some cases they tried to give/sell the land for some of these lots after the house was demoed to a neighbor, how can the City deed the property to an abutting property owner without a title/deed?

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 11:41pm
I do not recall him saying, not saying he didnt I just dont remember that
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2009 at 2:15am
Randy I think this was mentioned when they demolished a house and the lot left over was to small to rebuild on.  I think they then tried to give or sell the lot to a neighbor or split it between two neighbors as the lot was basically useless to the city and would never be developed unless they could enlarge the lot by demolishing an abutting property thus combining the lots into one buildable property.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2009 at 9:04am
wasteful.....I remember the comment being made. I think it may have been Kohler.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2009 at 4:46pm
wasteful- wasn't that demolished house and property over off Crawford? Moore St. I think. Believe the article was in the Journal. Thought the surrounding property owners wouldn't take the additional property bacause it would raise their taxes -   ??????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic