FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 Memory - $30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 Memory - $30
    Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 10:46am
Originally posted by PattiGal PattiGal wrote:

Mike...did you REALLY post that at 3 in the morning?!?!? Very clever indeed! I don't know you, but I wish my brain fired like that at night!
Patti,
Well, I do tend to be "nocturnal"!  In fact, it's now past my bed time, I better get some sleep!!! Sleepy

Good night all!!!  Cool
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Mike Next time go here first:

LOL
Pac,
 I looked at several sites ("Crucial" may have been one of them.) that had similar "compatibility generators" to be sure that I was ordering the correct thing.  Newegg had one, and they also seemed to have the best prices.  (In fact, lower for the "crucial" brand than the crucial site was!)

That wasn't the problem.  The problem was Adam's directions!!!
Originally posted by adamwlewis adamwlewis wrote:

Yes, the installation is SIMPLE. Remove your existing DIMMs and put these in. 5 minutes tops to complete. Hardest part will be removing the side of the case.
I didn't read them!!!  LOL  LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
adamwlewis View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 8:02am
Mike, glad you got the computer working. Unfortunately, this is this the downside to pre-built computers, you just never know what they are made of. It sounds like your motherboard wanted all matching memory, so since your first two sticks didn't match your new two sticks, it got all confused.

Since it sounds like you have 4 memory slots, you could purchase another set of the same memory and have 4GB, if you like.

So, if I understand correctly, you have
Adam Lewis' Blog
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 7:04am
Mike Next time go here first:

LOL
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 6:54am
Mike...did you REALLY post that at 3 in the morning?!?!? Very clever indeed! I don't know you, but I wish my brain fired like that at night!
"Because nice matters..."
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 3:02am

Here is what I would buy if it were my computer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161161

This will give you 2GB of memory, twice what you have now. I would recommend going to 4GB of memory, but the cost is really just too much to justify.

Adam,

I took your advice and ordered from Newegg, but I bought Kingston instead of Wintech.

When the new RAM memory sticks arrived, I chucked a spade bit into my ½” hammer-drill (have I ever mentioned that I spent 30 years in heavy industrial engineering and construction management, and that these are the only kind of tools that I own?) and opened the case of my computer. Of course I had unplugged it first!!! (The computer, not the hammer-drill.)

There was a lot of dust and dirt inside so I really couldn’t see much. I didn’t think I should touch anything so I went to the garage and brought in our electric leaf blower. I cranked it up and blew all of that dirt and dust out of the computer case, as well as all of the spare parts that the factory must’ve left inside. It sure did make a mess of my office though.

Well, I saw some parts that looked a lot like the new memory sticks, and it looked like they would fit just right, so I held my breath and SNAP, SNAP!! Whaddayaknow??? They fit like they were made for it!!! I was proud of myself, thinking that I was becoming a REAL computer weinie now! But I thought that I should test it before I welded the case back closed again.

Well I plugged her in and pushed the button and the lights started blinking just as they should, and everything was looking good…until

there came, in a very small, odd-colored font, a message in the center of my monitor:

out of range

This was puzzling, since my monitor is HARD-WIRED to my computer!!!

I looked back at the front of the case, and the “power on” light was lit, but none of the other little lights were blinking!!!

After I changed pants and aired out the room a little, I decided that perhaps I just had the two new sticks of RAM in backwards. So, I carefully removed them and switched the order…putting the second where the first had been and the first where the second had been. Time to test again and this time:

Nothing!!! The “power on” light was lit, but nothing else!!! I peered into the case and I could see all three of the little fans running, but nothing else was MOVING!!! Well, I turned it off again, unplugged the power cord, and decided to put it back exactly how it originally was, so that I could write a stern letter to Newegg for sending me two defective RAM memory sticks!!!

So…I put everything back exactly how it was right after I jack-hammered the case open and blew off the dust, plugged it back in, hit the power switch, and…

NOTHING!! Yep, that’s right!!! The faithful “power on”” light was lit, and the three little fans were spinning, but absolutely nothing else was buzzing, whirring, blinking or lighting…not so much as a glow!!!

So…I changed pants again, sprayed Glade (April fresh scent) all around the room, and began pondering where I could buy a new computer at 3:00 AM on a Sunday morning.

I thought: I’ll find a place on-line…but I can’t get on-line!! Then I said to myself: Self, you’ve obviously fried this whole thing, so why not take one last stab? Why not try actually taking the two original 512mb RAM sticks OUT, and putting one (or both) of the new 1G RAM sticks IN, in the very slots where the 512mb sticks were? And so I did!!!

And now my machine is running so MUCH better that I’ve actually duct-taped the side of the case back on (just until I feel good enough to drag the welding leads all the way down here so I can seal weld the case.)

Does anyone know what kind of electrode to use when joining the metal part of the case to the plastic part???

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 9:14am
Very odd though... wonder who it was...
Adam Lewis' Blog
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 11:11pm
Wasn't I Adam I should have got my lazy butt in gear faster.Glad to see the For sale add worked for you. Thumbs%20Up
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 7:45pm
Bocephus.... I'm very confused (not with you)... but.... someone came to my office today while I was out and purchased bought it from my secretary. They didn't leave their name, so I assumed it was you. But since it wasn't.... I'm very very confused as to who it may have been...
Adam Lewis' Blog
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 2:11pm
Adam I did not know the memory was backwards compatible as I have forgotten more about computers in the last few years then I ever knew.I am from the days of windows 98 and blue screens LOL PM me with details on how to get the memory from you please.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 9:06am
Bocephus,

The 5300 would work fine in your work, it is still DDR2, it's just faster than what you currently have and would only run at the 4200 level.
Adam Lewis' Blog
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 11:22pm
Adam I finally got around to digging out my old PC case and I was wrong about the memory mine takes PC2-4200 sorry it took me so long it was burried under lots of under junk my PC specs are as follows.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 10:02pm

Don't buy a HP or E-Machine I went through 2 e-machines and a more expensive HP in just the last 5 years before that I used to build my own and a few of the ones that I built allmost 10 years ago are still running today.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 8:19pm
Unfortunately not, Newegg.com is about the cheapest you can find. Even our wholesale sources can't beat them so we often end up buying from Newegg ourselves.

Yes, the installation is SIMPLE. Remove your existing DIMMs and put these in. 5 minutes tops to complete. Hardest part will be removing the side of the case. :-)

Computers builds a tricky thing nowadays. Here is typically what I tell people, if you want a "middle of the road", good computer, then go with a Dell. No one will be able to beat their pricing even if building from scratch because of operating system costs. And you certainly can't beat their warrenty.

If you want a high end system, BUILD BUILD BUILD it. It is the only way to get true value, and to make sure you have the right parts in your system. You simply can't buy a good high end system pre-made without spending a FORTUNE.

If you want a dirt cheap system, then build as well. Often you can get parts that are every low end by today's standard, but more than efficent for what you need, and build a system for very little, especially if you use an operating system you already own.
Adam Lewis' Blog
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 7:20pm
OK, Thanks Adam!  I thought that you might have had a wholesale source, and could've marked it up to a comparable retail price as the the one you linked.

This should be nothing more than a "snap-in" installation, right?

Also, do you retail your "builds"?

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 5:02pm
Haha. Well, I could get it, but I'd but it from that link right there and mark it up 20% :-) You should just order it yourself :-D

Now, if you'd like me to install it for you, just shoot me an email at adam@adamwlewis.com
Adam Lewis' Blog
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 2:16pm

Well, I don't carry any memory :-) I just happen to have these part left over from a new build a did a month ago.

This will give you 2GB of memory, twice what you have now. I would recommend going to 4GB of memory, but the cost is really just too much to justify.
Can you get it???

SHEESH!!!  Do you work for the City??? (Wink)  I'm trying really hard to "shop locally" and support Middletown Businesses here! 
PS:  I don't care if your fingernails are dirty or if you went to "the right school"!  I just want my PC to work!!! LOL LOL LOL
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 1:17pm
Well, I don't carry any memory :-) I just happen to have these part left over from a new build a did a month ago.

Adam Lewis' Blog
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 12:12pm
So, do you carry the correct one???
If so, how much?? 
(Or are you saying my PC isn't worth a CHIP??? LOL LOL)

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 10:00am
Mike:

Just looked up your machine's specs (http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6536) and unfortunately you're takes an older memory chip, DDR not DDR2. So these wouldn't work for you :(
Adam Lewis' Blog
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 9:59am
Bocephus:

These chips will do fine with any other memory modules, assuming they are of the same speed. If they are different speeds, the board will run them all at the speed of the lowest module.
Adam Lewis' Blog
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 9:52am
Adam:
I have a completely "stock" emachines T6536.
It often crashes, and according to the error message, I need more memory.  Would this work for me??
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 12:01am
I may be interested in your memory (as mine has left me)  LOL I just need to find my original PC case and try to look up what speed Im using now.How would these two strips preform with 2x1gb strips I allready have installed?It started life as an HP and I had to replace the power supply,mainboard and case. Im allmost sure mine is pc 5300 but need to verify that.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 9:29am
Brand New, Never Used

2 GB (2x1GB)
OPTIMA
DDR 2
PC2-5300

$30
Adam Lewis' Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic