FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Property Taxes May Lower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Property Taxes May Lower
    Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 1:20pm
Butler County Auditor Reynolds says that the Middletown properties have devalued by 8.5%. Middletown has the highest devaluation. Imagine that! Looks like even the tax man is feeling sorry for us here in town with all of our welfare programs in place. (Thanks city leaders!) Might get a lower house payment out of this one, at the expense of losing more resale value in the house. Some trade off, huh?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 6:27pm
I seen another empty house today with a sign in the yard "section 8 welcome". Well at least the slum lords can start buying up houses at a good discount with the devaluation in place. Disapprove
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 6:25am
Anyone get their home reappraisal in the mail yesterday from Auditor Reynolds? My reappraisal was significantly lower than what I paid for the house in 2005. Now...... will the property taxes go down proportionately, requiring less in the escrow and lowering my house payment? I will also contact my insurance company to discuss lowering the insurance premium, since it's valued lower. I will expect to see a letter in the mail soon from my bank saying as much. If not, they can expect a visit.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 7:07am
Vet looks like your taxes may be going up or staying about the Same, if the Library and Picard have their way:

Library trustees move to collect $3.2M annually

By Ryan Gauthier, Staff Writer
8:56 PM Thursday, January 28, 2010

MIDDLETOWN— The Middletown Public Library Board of Trustees have officially decided to put a 0.75-mill tax levy on May ballot.

Trustees voted 5-0 in favor of the levy during a special meeting Thursday, Jan. 28, opting to go for 0.75 mills to offset what Board President James VonderHaar called a “double whammy” in funding cuts.

“Our funding has been pretty flat, and we don’t see that changing based on the projections for the state general tax revenue,” VonderHaar said. “We’re trying to get back to the level we were at before the cuts and hoping we can stay at that level.”

The approved millage would generate approximately $3.23 million annually for a five year period. That amounts to around $22.97 every year for the owner of a $100,000 home.

Library Director Doug Bean said taxpayers in Wayne Twp., Madison Twp., Lemon Twp., Liberty Twp., West Chester Twp., Seven Mile, Middletown, Trenton and Monroe would all be included in the levy, if approved.

The levy will need approval from Middletown City Council, the library’s taxing authority, before it can be submitted to the Butler County Board of Elections. Bean said he plans on speaking before council members during their Feb. 2 meeting.

Councilman Dan Picard, who serves as liaison to the board, urged trustees to go for the 0.75-mill levy instead of a 0.7-mill version if they were worried about state funding cuts further down the road.

“It’s not like you’re going to be able to get a second bite at the apple next year,” Picard said.

He addressed growing concern his fellow council members — namely A.J. Smith and Josh Laubach — could take issue with the levy coming before them as an emergency ordinance, advising library officials to put together as much information as possible and have it included in council’s Feb. 2 meeting packet.

“Hopefully that will help alleviate any anxiety these two men have,” Picard said. “Make a short, concise presentation to council, and then hopefully, they will be glad to move forward with emergency legislation.”

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 7:49am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Anyone get their home reappraisal in the mail yesterday from Auditor Reynolds? My reappraisal was significantly lower than what I paid for the house in 2005. Now...... will the property taxes go down proportionately, requiring less in the escrow and lowering my house payment? I will also contact my insurance company to discuss lowering the insurance premium, since it's valued lower. I will expect to see a letter in the mail soon from my bank saying as much. If not, they can expect a visit.
What a mixed bag. I'll pay a little less in taxes but selling at a reasonable price? I'd probably  lose my donkey!!
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 9:16am
In defense of Middletown, Homes all over the country have went down. Unfortunately, here they have went down much more.
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 9:59am

QUESTIONS:

1)  How effective have the Community Revitalization Department's plans/programs been:

a)  in stabilizing many of Middletown's residential neighborhoods (not just Ward 2)?
b)  in stabilizing declining property values and comprehensively solving deferred property maintenance (not just "PR tidbits" from Miss Judy and Doug at City Council meetings)?
c)  in allocating MILLIONS in HUD funds based upon the highest and best use of limited taxpayer dollars?

What say you?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 12:56pm
Why does Vonderhaar think that the library needs to "get back to the level we were at before the cuts"? Everyone is cutting back..... companies, small businesses, service industry folks, and private citizens. Why does Vonderhaar think his little library is special and deserves the full ride on funding?

Did Picard, as the 4th Ward council rep, ask the people living in his area how they feel and how he should vote or did he just blurt out his own stance on this? ( I'm guessing the latter approach) Guess he hasn't realized it's really not his call, but rather, his constituents wishes.

Oh, and I like the little comment ... "hopefully, this may alleviate any anxiety these two men have". Are we now talking down to your fellow councilmembers, Picard? A rather pompous attitude isn't it? You can sure tell which camp this guy is in can't you?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 2:10pm
Vet  - Don't count those extra dollars yet. You know as well as I do that when they know we'll be saving a buck some other type of "emergency levy" will hit the ballot in order to get that money your saving on property taxes.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 6:02am
I opened my letter from the auditor last evening.  Our house was devalued over 21%.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 7:55am

Ours went down 8.9%.  Not a good thing for anyone living in Middletown or the area.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 9:36am
Go check the records, houses on the rich side 0f Curryer are at 213 Kk including 1.3 acres. Outrageous and entirely below what most are getting. I'm putting my appeal together with phitos and spreadsheet. The Akers on Rosedale who own packaging have over an acre at about $41 Kk. My numbers on these houses reflect the right to drive my value down about $65 Kk which I fully intend to do, and encourage others to do the same. Look at sq ft and cost per lot and you'll find how the adjustments were inaccurately applied. Really upsetting. Within .10 mile of me, I have 15 houses to use and property across the street 35% below the value of mine, same size. Do your homework, you'll find much lower prices assessed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic