Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ward 3 Constituent Information Requests ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ward 3 Constituent Information Requests ??
    Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 10:00am

Subj: Fwd: Ward 3 Constituent Information Request - HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One 
Date: 1/6/2010 10:24:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
To: ajsmith13@msn.com
 A.J. -

You also might want to follow-up on this.  From the very beginning I was concerned that demolition activities would be heavily concentrated in Ward 2 and the plans for purchase/rehab/resale of vacant, foreclosed houses would occur primarily in Ward 3.  Keep an eye on this and the likelihood that housing and neighborhood-based programs will have precious money "siphoned off for downtown deals" as well.

I know of what I speak A.J.

Nelson

-----------------
Forwarded Message:
Subj: Ward 3 Constituent Information Request - HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program 
Date: 1/6/2010 10:19:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
To: laubachj@ymail.com

Middletown's $2.144,000 Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round 1 Grant funded by HUD in early 2009

Since the City has openly stated their use of NSP-1 funds to acquire Central Avenue property and for related demolition purposes, what authority did they have to spend $300 - 400 thousand of this HUD grant?  I would appreciate information on the above.  Also, I would like to know if any of the 20 vacant, foreclosed properties have been acquired/rehabilitated/resold?  If so, what are the addresses?

Approved Activities - 11/2008 Grant Application Submitted to HUD Columbus Field Office

1)  Demolish approximately 54 vacant, dilapidated houses - $400,000+
2)  Acquire, rehabilitate and resell 20 vacant, foreclosed homes - $1,100,000+
3)  Offer down payment/closing cost assistance to buyers of vacant, foreclosed homes - $200,000+
4)  Provide administrative funding for employees (and consultants?) to administer NSP-1 - $200,000+

Status Report

1)  A couple of months ago Doug Adkins did provide Randy Lewis with a list of houses demolished
2)  A couple of months ago Doug Adkins did mention that no properties had been purchased for rehab and resale
3)  No information has ever been provided on the number of NSP-1 funded down payment/closing cost assistance forgivable loans that Community Revitalization Department staff had approved for buyers of vacant, foreclosed homes

Downtown Property Demolition

1)  Downtown commercial property demolition WAS NOT a component of the application to HUD for $2.144 million in NSP-Round One funds
2)  Did the City of Middletown revise the NSP-1 application that was sent to and approved by HUD?
3)  I have no recollection of such an amendment to the NSP-1 application ever being presented to the City Council for consideration

Thank you.

Nelson Self

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:29:42 EST
Subject: Ward 3 Constituent Information Request (HUD-Funded Programs)
To: laubachj@ymail.com

Joshua -

I'd like for you to seek the following information on HUD-funded programs:

1)  Down Payment/Closing Cost Assistance - how many first-time home buyers were assisted in 2009?  what are the addresses of these properties purchased by participating first-time home buyers in 2009?

2)  Housing & Community Development Consultants - how many consultants were utilized by the Community Revitalization Department in 2009 (including William Kubal of Bolington, Illinois)?  Other than Mr. Kubal, what are the names and addresses of any other consultants utilized in 2009?  how much money was spent on these consultants in 2009?

Thanks in advance for seeking information for the citizenry of Middletown.

Nelson Self
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 12:57pm
Mr. Self:
I encourage you to attend council meetings and bring this information forward to council during the citizens comments period. I will be happy to open up a dialogue.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 1:07pm
Mr. Laubach- what a refreshing comment from you. " I will be happy to open up a dialogue". Haven't heard that from a councilmember in years. I hope (but doubt) that you will get any cooperation from Becker, Mulligan, or Armbruster on the "open up a dialogue" idea. I would hope that Mr. Smith and Mr. Picard (and hopefully Ms. Scott-Jones) will join you in the open dialogue theme. Then, Becker, Mulligan and Armbruster will be negated as to control. Good for you!! This is what the people want, Josh!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 1:39pm
Ouch......I just fell out of my chair.  Thank you Mr. Laubach, a Council Person who actually will talk to the Citizens.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 1:18pm

Thank you so much for your recognition and dialogue, Councilman Laubaugh.

I hope that you find the information and individuals here as helpful.
These are good caring citizens who WANT to be a part of chging our city for the better.
While we have been branded as overly negative by those wishing to dis-credit and ignore these citizens, you hopefully will find that perception as wrong.
With the election of Mr.Smith,Mr.Picard and yourself --the re-election of a hopefully energized/aware Mr.Armbruster, and the elevation of Ms.Scott-Jones to Vice Mayor, brighter days may well be ahead.

Using the beautiful lyrics of Peter Gabriel:

You can blow out a candle
But you can't blow out a fire
Once the winds begin to swirl
The flames just grow higher

BIKO
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2010 at 7:40pm
Ooops, my modem must be broken.  Took me to a site where council members respond to citizen's concerns.  I need to call Time Warner first thing Monday morning.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 2:05am

Mr. Laubach -

The above posted e-mails were sent directly to you because I've had no success getting responses from senior City staff about HUD-funded programs since last March.  As someone that I voted for in November, I trust that you'll assist me in obtaining requested public information.  In the process, I also hope that you'll be enlightened as to the "reluctance" of some senior City staff to make local government fully transparent and accountable.  As you can see, many MiddletownUSA participants have high hopes for your success and a willingness to better inform the general public.

Nelson Self
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 8:56am
Mr. Laubach, Thank you for stopping by and showing that there is a council member willing to come here and talk with us or at least acknowledge us.

Mr Self, you failed to answer Mr. Laubach's request for you to attend a meeting and open a dialog with him, will you take him up on his offer?
Laubach View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 8:58am
Mr. Self,
I look forward to seeing you at the council meeting on 19 January. I will see to it that a discussion is opened when you speak concerning these issues. I think everyone will benefit.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 7:34pm
At least one additonal posting of Joshua Laubach on this topic is now missing.  In response to my physical and emotional difficulties in attending City Council meetings, Mr. Laubach publicly offered to make inquiries about my questions.  Will someone look into this?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 2:52am
Randy -

It would appear that one or more posts on this topic are missing, thereby distorting the original dialogue of all participants involved.  Would you look into this?

Thanks.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 5:52am
Mr.Self--this forum has somewhat unique features where you can edit or even delete your posts.
Maybe Mr.Laubaugh did one of the above, as would be his option.
You might save/copy anything that you find 2 b that important.

As lrisner might say--chill a little
And ya might stop demanding that others do yer bidding/work for you.
Might be good to face your adversaries and voice yer concerns yerself.
No one knows yer facts better than u know yer facts.

jmo
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 7:00am
SpiderJohn -

Sadly, you totally missed the point of my many postings since March 2009 regarding the City of Middletown.  The real (and only) issues are the documented waste/mismanagement of HUD funds plus the flagrant disregard of valid citizen participation by the City of Middletown.

I've provided you and others a unique former employee's perspective on the HUD mess.  It's always been my intent to ensure that MiddletownUSA participants know all of the issues.  There's so little meaningful information coming from One Donham Plaza since August 2008 that I thought people such as yourself would appreciate.

Later today I will be posting information collected for HUD headquarters on the numerous problems involving the City's primary housing funding - Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program.  When you and others read it, you will see what a mess that I inherited when I began working for the City of Middletown on 1/2/2007.

P.S.  If all of the information I've presented doesn't cause average Middletonians to be concerned and angry, then it would appear that the policies and programs of the City are acceptable to you and others? 

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 9:05am
Come on, Mr.Self--
Do ya really think that I have made over 600 posts just on THIS forum because I love the way our city is managed?
Do ya think that the retired Council booted me from the Board of Health because I sleep with the Darth Vader group?
Same for the Community Foundation after ?ing conflicts of interest and extremely loose granting and monitoring of such?
Is that the message you get?
Until these episodes, I had been asked to join/participate in virtually every organization in Middletown.
First time that I have ever been asked to leave or been removed from anything(well--outside of a few local bars in my younger days-lol!).

YOU don't seem to have any problem posting the interesting and valuable data/history of Admin's inner workings--just seems that YOU could get a more broad and connected audience if YOU presented your message yourself(being a first-hand witness to it all). These people aren't monsters, and probably won't cause you any more issues than have already developed.

Stand up and represent your thinking/information that has upset you to such degree.
Be the person that you expect others to be.
Put your fears and concerns to rest by taking them on clearly and decisively.

The town you help might be your own(and our town also!)

Good luck, my online friend!

Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 9:57am

Mr. Self,

I appreciate your concerns and comments. I have not discarded the things you have said nor have I forgot to look into the matter.  However, I am not entirely clear on all that surrounds what you are stating. I am doing my best to collect and analyze information to make reasoned and appropriate responses. It appears that you may have a great deal of information that only you can understand having worked inside the city. I have to agree with Spiderjohn.

In addition, I also feel its better that such serious accusations are brought to all of council. Not just one or two people. For future concerns, it would serve you better to contact me and other members of council via our city email accounts, or if possible, make an appearance at council meetings.  Posting questions on this site will not always serve you best due to the fact that I do not read all information posted here daily.

Thanks for your time and work to the city.

Josh Laubach

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 10:03am
Nelson,
If you wish, I'll attend an stand with you while you speak.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 10:17am
Mike & Nelson, I will also go with you and stand right there with you.

Mike have not seen you at the meetings for a while, you should give me a call, kinda waiting to take part in some triva.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 10:20am
I'm with you Mike. How about it forum members?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 11:12am
Thank you Randy, Mike, Etc.

The last day that I was physically within the Municipal Building was Thursday, January 15, 2009.  That was the date that Ginger Smith told me that I wasn't a part of her plans and that I should seek Social Security Disability because of my severe physical and emotional issues.  On the following Tuesday my employment with the City of Middletown came to an end.

It would be very traumatic for me to enter that building once again, let alone to see Miss Judy and others in person.  Their actions have caused me great emotional and financial difficulties.  It's true that I have several issues to let go of as my good friend Miss Vivian always reminds me.  My Psychiatrist and the caring, professional staff at Atrium Hospital - Behavioral Medicine unit have helped to bring me back from a very low point in my life beginning in August 2008.

I brought numerous matters to the attention of Miss Judy and the previous City Council members last year prior to my first MiddletownUSA posting in March 2009.  Never once did I ever receive a reply.  And, the three City Council members who assured me that I wouldn't lose my job for reporting dirty little secrets about the HUD program to them failed to keep their word.  That's one reason why I voted for Joshua Laubach.

I will consider this.  Again, it would be very traumatic for me.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 11:31am
Some times you have to look the bull in the eye, it's not easy but it can be done and when it's over you may even have slayed your demons.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Mike have not seen you at the meetings for a while, you should give me a call, kinda waiting to take part in some triva.
As far as council meetings, I've kind of been waiting to see which way the wind blows with the new members. plus I've been a little late reading the workbooks.  A few other things have been in the way, also.

Trivia is the same time, same place, every week!  I've been waiting for you.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 12:15pm
I believe me and Adam may stop by, today is Skyi's birth day so I am out spending money like a drink beer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic