FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An open reply to Ms. Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 9:04pm
Ms.Andrew, I have some questions for you, if you would be so kind to address them.

1. Why do you think it has taken the past/current school board (s) so long to address the current situation with the Middletown schools as to proficiency test score failures? Middletown is always last in all categories in all grades when compared to surrounding school districts on the tests.

2. When the schools wanted new elementary schools built , why were they built as large as a small college campus when we have declining enrollment rates?

3. Why is it that when emergency levies are placed before the voters, we are told that this is an emergency and is meant to provide emergency operating money on a one time basis only, and we seem to always see this one time only levy become a renewal levy which eventually turns into a permanent levy and stays with us until the "end of time"? Please explain how this one time only becomes permanent.

4. In negotiations with the unions, why does the board and admin. always seem to give in to their demands? Is there ever a time when the board and admin. dictate the terms of the agreement or is it usually one-sided with the unions always getting what they want?

5. What is the board and admin. doing to change the climate of learning in the classroom? What is this school system doing to gain control of the schools again through a discipline program? Is there a plan in place to try a different method of teaching the students because the current method has not improved the results for more than 20 years. Isn't it about time we tried something new as to curriculum and teaching methods in the classroom?

6. Why do we need so many assistants in each school? Don't we have at least 3 assist. principals at the high school? If so, why so many? Isn't the manpower a little top heavy as to admin.?

7. Why are we paying such high property taxes (second highest in Butler County perhaps?????) and have some of the highest per pupil spending among the neighboring high schools, yet produce lower results in educating our kids? It would almost seem like the answer to educating is not to throw money at the problem, but rather adopt/change to a more results oriented program.

8. Since the district has a history of having problems getting parents to participate in the troubled students education, has the school board involved the courts and police in dealing with the problem parents? If so, has it been successful?

Thanks in advance, if you choose to respond to these questions.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 10:37pm
Viet Vet, I will try to answer your questions:

1.  I have been on the Board for 4 years. I can't answer for before then. We have been addressing low achievement test scores the entire 4 years.  The main emphasis has been on improving the quality of instruction in the classroom through a variety of means, including "professional learning communities" where teachers can share best practices with teachers from the same grades or subjects, and also look at testing data to figure out which specific areas of the tests the students are missing, so that they can focus on those areas. The results have not been as fast or as significant as we want, although there have been some small gains. Some school buildings had bigger gains than others. Comparing Middletown to the surrounding districts is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, because those districts have very different demographics than Middletown. However, having said that, we don't compare all that well to districts with similar student populations either (although we are not dead last).  There are many other things we have been doing the last 4 years to raise student achievement levels but I can't go into them all (especially if you want any of the other questions addressed).

2. I was not on the Board when the plans were made for the new elementary schools. However, there was a lot of public input on how many schools, where, the design, etc. The choice was for neighborhood schools, somewhat larger (500 student capacity versus 300 to 350 each) (Roosevelt housed about 750 students) but the total number of elementary schools was reduced from 10 to 8 as part of the building plan. The larger size was intended to be more efficient, for example, only 8 elementary principals now, not 10. Most of the elementary schools have no assistant principal. The exceptions are the 2 schools with the biggest need. Also, the larger size was planned to have room for all-day kindergarden, which has now been mandated by the state.

3. Until 2009, most districts were forced into a box in choosing temporary levies, which the state of OHio calls emergency levies, because if they passed a permanent levy, the state would deduct the amount raised in the levy from the state share of school funding. The end result would be that although the taxpayer paid more in local taxes, the local school would not get more total revenue. Temporary levy funds  do not reduce the state share of funding. I am not aware that I or any other spokesperson for the schools described the 2007 temporary levy renewal as a one-time thing.

4. Due to federal labor laws, we the Board are generally not allowed to disclose what goes on during union contract negotiations.  The teachers unions (local, state and national) are very strong. However, no, they do not always get what they want.

5. See response to question 1. There have been many changes to curriculum and teaching methods. I'm not sure why you think nothing has changed in 20 years. In fact, there are many teachers who would say that too much was changed, and this is one of the reasons they were unhappy with the previous administration.  The Board has also been focused on restoring discipline. Two years ago we collaborated to establish a joint committee on discipline and safety, with board members, teachers, administrators, and community members, to investigate and agree on solutions. Unfortunately this committee has not so far been particularly effective. This school year, the football coach was re-assigned to a position to deal with absences, tardies and skipping class at the high school, which is a big piece of the problem. These are just examples.

6. The high school has approx. 1800 students and I don't know how many teachers. One principal cannot effectively supervise that many students and evaluate and supervise that many teachers. A significant part of the job of an assistant principal is discipline.  Same is true with the 2 middle schools. As to elementary, see above.

7. The kids in Middletown have greater needs and challenges than the surrounding schools. This means we qualify for more grant money (for example, federal Title I grants are determined by the percentage of kids on free and reduced lunch, which in Middletown is approaching 75%). These kids can all learn, but they (generally, I know there are exceptions both ways!!) start kindergarden already delayed, receive less parental support, and have many issues to deal with at home. 20% of our students are special needs of some degree. Personal aides, speech and other therapists, special ed teachers, all are required by federal law and dramatically increase the per student average cost.

8. The high school and each of the middle schools have a licensed police officer in the building, paid jointly by the schools and the police. The Journal actually had a long piece several months ago on court interventions with delinquent students and their parents. That article gave a sobering look at the uphill battle to get some of these kids engaged productively n the learning process.

Marcia Andrew
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 11:08pm
We post here so often because it is the only place( beside the voting polls)that our voices and concerns are hear. The city council isn't set up to answer any questions( omly a dummy would believe that) and just as a example I believe that someone just said that was no comments taken at your recent gathering because the reason was that comments would (in layman terms) hold up your process. If I depended so much on someone elses money you better believe that I wiould make time for them ,besides the amount levies that your board trys to past in this towm it seems to me  you have more time than money in the first place.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 11:35pm
One more thought that has occurred to me is how I notice that any time a council member or school board member comes on this board everyone seems to go out of their way to thank them. Well the way I see it , the collection of taxpayers on this board also need to be thank for the time they put on this board because I'm sure most are like me who hold down full time jobs , then have even more to take care of when they get home taking care of their families and property but find time to share their concerns and feelings and yes even suggestions on what direction this town is headed in. 
We will not be taken lightly when are the ones that this town and school system depends on to foot a big part of the bill, like any good consumer we want what we pay for and we will not tolerate anything less like we have been receiving. It way past time for the city and school system to starting producing a buyable product.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 11:57pm
Tomahawk35, you are right that the people that post on my site do indeed deserve to be thanked for all there great opinions and the voice they bring here, so thank you.

As for why members of council and school board get thanked by everyone, thats easy for me to answer being an admin here. Not many of them have the guts to come here and face the people of this town and take the time to answer questions. But when one does it is for a VERY brief moment. Most get bombarded with questions and accusations, most are warrented.

But when that happens most also leave and dont come back. I can tell exactly how many city officials have come here and answered questions, and thus far NONE have stuck around as long as Ms. Andrew nor have they answered as many questions as she has. For that she should be thanked.

My hope for MUSA is to build a place where the people in our town can get answers from the leaders of this city, so when one shows up and does answer the tough questions we should all respect that, to me that shows that they are different than most and are trying to be set up to answer questions.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 6:31am

Ms. Andrew:

Thank you so much! At last I think I have enough information to make my point. I plead for you to stay with me until the end before you draw your conclusions.

I believe that your edited summary is factually correct, with the one qualification that I do not have first-hand knowledge of exactly how Martin's resume and cover letter came to us, as I was not directly in that loop. I believe that he misunderstood Rev. Tyus' request and faxed it to Carney, Sandoe, who emailed it to Rev. Tyus.

First-hand knowledge or not, this matter is now inconsequential. You have provided a plausible explanation. Had some of the other information you have provided in these exchanges been known previously, this would have been a non-issue. It does appear to me more likely that Mr. Martin emailed it to CSA, who faxed it to Tyus, but that doesn’t matter. It is plausible.

At the first round of interviews, the candidates brought copies of their resumes with them, and took them home. Any personal notes taken by board members during those interviews were either retained or discarded by the board member.

This, at least to me, remains a little “unclear”, but for the sake of expediency I will try to work around it. (I am sure that I have already taken too much of your time. I hope it will be worth it to all concerned in the end.)

Now I have to ask a favor of you. I have to ask you to forget for a short while, all of the exchanges we have made in this forum. I have to ask you to please go back and look at what transpired as many Middletonians saw it. I have to ask you to try to consider the events not as you know them, but within the framework of the only information which we had available to us. Whether that information was in fact or in error and regardless of whether it came directly from the BoE or from the media, it was what it was. Please try to remember both the chronology and the paucity of the information available to us, the general public. Then think about what you were asked to believe. Think about it not from your viewpoint, but from the viewpoint of those of us already skeptical (for whatever reasons and whether justified or unjustified) and possessing only dribs and drabs of information, some of which you, yourself, feel was misrepresented by the press.

I cannot speak for all who use this forum, although I know from one-on-one conversations that some saw things exactly as I did. Here is what I saw, and what I thought I was being asked to believe:

I was being asked to believe that a professional consultant, who specializes in the recruitment of educational professionals, gathered 80+ resumes from people interested in becoming the next superintendent of the MCSD, and that the consultant narrowed the applicants down to 30 qualified people who he felt were the best “fit” for the MCSD. This consultant then came to Middletown to present these applicants (on paper) to the BoE. Rev. Tyus, the other four BoE members, and possibly other District employees all gathered around the consultant and studied each of the thirty resumes, one-by-one. The BoE chose eight highly qualified applicants that they actually wanted to interview, based solely on these resumes that they studied as a group, gathered around the single copy of each that the consultant brought from Boston. The consultant said “OK!”, packed up all of the resumes, confiscated all of the notes taken by anyone present, and trotted back to Boston to arrange the interviews, all to be scheduled over one single weekend. As The Journal put it: “At its Nov. 21 meeting, the board claimed that the consultant's representative brought all information about approximately 30 applicants into the meeting in a box and then took all documents - including board members' notes! - with him.”

That is what we were told. That is the only information that was made available to us. That is what we were asked to believe.

Next, these eight ladies and gentlemen come to Middletown, and we guess that the consultant returns, too. That seemed only reasonable, didn’t it? And he must have brought with him the resumes of these eight applicants. To not have done so would be absurd, wouldn’t it? Especially since, according to The Journal: “Board members Monday night, Dec. 7 said they have not received from their consultant the names of the candidates they will interview” beginning in just four more days! That is what we were told. That is the only information that was made available to us. That is what we were asked to believe.

Then, on December 16, we read Rev. Tyus’s letter. His letter verifies some (granted, not all) of the information previously reported by The Journal, but refuted NONE! (What might a reasonable person infer from this? Remember, you are looking at this from the common citizen‘s point of view.)

Next, in January, finally armed with at least the names of the three finalists, concerned citizens go to work and find some connection between Rev. Tyus (the now former president of the BoE) and one of the finalists, Mr. Martin. Perhaps they even recall a couple of years back, when, as part of the Middletown Ministerial Alliance, he appeared before city council and demanded that the replacement for Kip Moore’s council seat be based with race as the primary criterion. Could it be only coincidence that Mr. Martin happened to be Afro-American and had prior dealings with Rev. Tyus, some people wondered. Then one of the three finalists, a local man, coincidently dropped out to accept a position that had been “drooped into his lap” about the same time the three finalists had been announced. And the other non-Afro-American candidate made the eight person short-list on the strength of a one-page resume! That is what we were told. That is the only information that was made available to us. That is what we were asked to believe. Is it possible for reasonable people aware of the way things work in Middletown to start thinking something seems “fishy”?

Suddenly, Mr. Martin drops out of the race “for the kids” (a phrase that many citizens feel was less than forthrightly used during levy campaigns).

It was at this point, Ms. Andrew, that I honestly did try to come up with any reasonable explanation for what had occurred that was upright, forthcoming, plausible, and did not involve at least one miracle, BASED ON: what we were told, the only information that was made available to us, and what we were asked to believe!

Simply stated, I could find none. I believe that if you will review the situation, through our eyes, considering only what we were told, armed only with the information that was available to us, you will likewise find none. What we were asked to believe was flat out unbelievable.

Please understand that I am not blaming you. I am not blaming anyone. I am asking you to simply understand. I realize that you have not been on the BoE forever. I realize that you were not the President when this started. I understand your situation. I ask you to understand ours.

You seem to be an intelligent, reasonable woman who is capable of logic. If I came to you and told you only what the general public was told, and the only information available to you was the information available to us, and you did due diligence, and I still asked you to believe it, I daresay you would be insulted. If you then expressed your opinion on the matter, and someone suggested that by expressing your opinions, based on mainstream information, was akin to spreading “rumors”, you would might be doubly insulted. But don’t worry about that. This is not about me, and my feelings aren’t easily hurt. The point I am trying to put forth is for you to see the public’s point, from their viewpoint!

If the public’s viewpoint is in error, that does not make it your fault, or even your responsibility to correct. But if the public’s viewpoint is in error, but is based on what they are told and the only information available to them, and they then reached a reasonable (but incorrect) conclusion, it is NOT the fault of the public!

You were privy to the exact same information as the public. It appears, at least to me, that the BoE expected the public to process that information (some of which was confirmed and none of which was called to doubt by Rev. Tyus’s letter), to believe it, and to reach some irrational conclusions. You were also privy to additional information. You may have known that the conclusions actually were not irrational, but the public could not know that.

Let me put forth a few opinions. You don’t have to agree--we are all entitled to our own opinions. These opinions might also include some interpretations of the law with which you disagree. That’s fine, too. Reasonable people often disagree.

Starting at the beginning, first let me agree. Using a consultant is one of many perfectly acceptable ways to find a superintendent (or any other employee). Some may say that it is not the best way, but that is opinion and there is never any way to foretell which is “best”.  All methods sometimes yield a good result, and sometimes a poor result.

I believe that the BoE erred in their method of meeting with the consultant, and with the applicants. It is my opinion that ANYTIME a public body has a “prearranged discussion of public business by a majority of its members”, that is a public meeting of that body. I believe that the BoE should have scheduled single-purpose special meetings; notified the public of each of them; stated in the notification that upon opening the meeting, the board would go into executive session and that upon ending the executive session, the meeting would be adjourned; and stated the ONE (not a “laundry list” as city council does) allowable subject--e. g. the employment of a public employee--for going into executive session. The names of any candidates need not be included. I believe that individual notes taken during executive sessions are not part of the public record. Strictly speaking, applications and resumes may be, but you say that the BoE never kept any of those anyway.  I don’t know that for certain. I’ve heard that you are an attorney. It should be a simple matter to look it up. The TRUTH is always your friend. If it had been handled this way, wiseacres like me would be defending public bodies, saying that they are acting properly, rather than railing about the misuse of the public trust.

I want to apologize for any offense taken by my "enemy camp" comment. No offense was intended. Then, as now, I put the phrase in quotes. What I meant was a reference to what I sense from posters on this website (and yes, I am generalizing right now; there are definitely exceptions) as an attitude of "us versus them" whenever government (city council and school board especially) are discussed. Other occasional posters have also noted this hostility in the past. Perhaps you and Tomahawk and Spiderjohn do not see this because you post here so frequently and have become used to it. This is just my perception and you don't have to agree with it; however, it's also not very productive to a dialogue to have 4 posters jump all over me for the use of 2 words. I'm here, I'm trying to answer your questions.

Actually, I will plead guilty here. I did, indeed, notice the quotes and took the phrase as you say it was intended at first. My apologies.

I can’t speak for the entire member list regarding hostility. As for myself, I generally try to do unto others as they do to me. That being said, please remember that at least half this city is boiling over with frustration, and has been for some time. Most of the regulars here really do have a good sense of humor, but it oftentimes seems FROM OUR VIEWPOINT, that that there is unnecessary roughness and piling on (to use football terms) from the “enemy camp” Wink. (Not on this board, but in their official capacities.)

Oftentimes other “occasional government posters” come here and have been either hostile or condescending, or have handed us “BS” that is insulting to expect us to believe. Some of them speak to us as if we were all grade school drop-outs who have never held a job or succeeded at anything in our lives. I assure you that this is not the case.

Let me again thank you for your time and interest, and in closing, let me assure that, at least with me, you will pretty much “get what you give” (bearing in mind that I am not perfect!)

PS: Also, "quotation marks rules" are followed very loosely here, especially in regards to indicating irony, expressing sentiment or adages, "etc.".  A more surefire way might be the use of "emoticons," "if you know what I mean WinkLOL!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 7:07am
Ms. Andrew. Thank you so much for your quick response to these questions. It is appreciated. Some feedback......

1. We may not be able to compare our district to Springboro and some of the other "more upscale/different demograhic towns" than Middletown, but we certainly can compare Midd. to Hamilton. How are our students performing versus their district? How about Franklin? Miamisburg? Similar towns ??

2. The larger school size was intended to be more efficient. You mentioned number reductions of principals but how is building larger schools for less students more efficient? Not quite understanding that. Are we not allowing for a declining enrollment? Has these newer, more modern schools helped the performance as was one of the selling points when the district was trying to convince the voters to pass the bond levy to build them? I haven't seen any significant improvement as yet. Is it too early to make a call on this?

3. In the past, and with each emergency levy that is introduced, the school board usually starts selling the emergency levy to the voters by using the phrase- "it's a one time only deal" and "just to get us over the hump". Next thing we taxpayers know, it comes up for renewal indicating it was never intended to be a one time proposition for the voters AND, more than likely is headed to be a permanent levy proposal. Have seen this scenario several times.

4. Just seems like there is a feeling from the general public that the Teacher's Unions throughout the country is too powerful, has too much influence and seems to always do well in contract negotiations. Just looks like the school boards never take the hard line against them when each sits down at the negotiation table.

5. "I don't see why you think nothing has changed in 20 years"- Because I keep seeing kids "graduate" from our schools that can't read for understanding, do simple math like add, subtract, etc., can't write a paragraph with correct punctuation, spelling or grammar and can't seem to function when turned loose in the working environment. Basically, what we're pumping into the heads of the kids now, isn't necessarily preparing them for the real working world.

6. If a significant part of an assistant principals job is discipline (as you state), why is discipline so out of control at the high school and at the middle school levels? If this is their job function and it isn't producing good results, why not change the way they do their jobs, or find some assistant principals that will be more effective. IE-if it isn't working, you just don't live with it, you change it, don't you?

7. If we are incuring more cost for professionals to attend to these special groups, why is the city bringing in more "problems" through Section 8 for your schools to try and handle? Has the school board sat down with the city manager and her Section 8 people to discuss the negative impact her poverty program is having on your school system? If so, what were the results of the discussion and how is the city and the schools going to fix the problem?

8. If the high school and middle schools have a police officer in the hallways, why is there still so many issues with discipline and the rumor where "students run the schools and can do almost anything they want" at school? If true, the police officer program doesn't sound like it is too effective. Has there been discussion on an alternate plan? I would think that if the courts, the police and the schools made it so unpleasant for the problem parents, they would be glad to get their kid to school everyday. Apparently, the effort hasn't been severe enough to sway some parents. Time to rachet up the severity (as in jail time) for the parents.

Again, thank you for your responses. It would take more time than would be allowed to discuss these matters in a regular school board meeting. I appreciate you taking the time to discuss them in this format.
kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 3:01pm
Mike,
In your last post you stated the BoE should have let the public know of the meetings, etc.  I just want to tell you that they did.  They scheduled meetings and did give a single purpose for the executive session.  I was aware of the meetings and I don't even follow the schools that closely.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 3:18pm
Kasson:
Thank you.  I was unaware of that.  I should have paid closer attention. Was It in The Journal
If so, I stand corrected!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 3:26pm
VietVet,
Regarding the discipline issue you reference in your ?'s to Mrs. Andrew... I have had a child at MHS for the past 4 years.  My child is in all advanced, honor and AP classes and there has never been even one issue as far as discipline in any of these classes.  My child has seen fights and problems in the hallways when passing from class to class.  There have been a very few "required for graduation" classes, like speech, health, etc. (like to call them "common courses" cause all kids have to take them to graduate) that my child  has witnessed discipline problems in and kids skipping out of those classes and other problems with them.  However, as I say every other class there has been absolutely no problems with. 
kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 3:30pm
Mike.
I don't know if it was in MJ or not cause I do not get the paper...cancelled my subscription about a year ago...it was a waste.  It was listed on the school website and Tyus made reference to it at Boe meetings at the end when he gave "announcements".
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 3:50pm

I am a parent of one of the special needs students in the MCSD.  While overall the district may rate lower than others around us, my wife and I have been very happy with the way our daughter's needs have been accomodated.  We have a friend in Springboro, and they have not been so lucky.  It may be a small victory, but there are things we can and should be proud of.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 4:04pm
Kasson:
I no longer have a child in the school system, so I seldom visit their website, nor do I watch every BoE meeting.  If it wasn't in The Journal, that may explain why I missed it but it doesn't excuse the fact that I did.  I do try to  thoroughly research before I post on items such as this.  Regardless, I do strive to be accurate and I thank you for correcting me.

I should probably go back and edit that post, but I think I'll let it stand--only in case someone has already read it and is preparing a "gotcha" response off-line.  I'll go ahead and take my lumps.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 4:08pm

*****BREAKING NEWS*****

Power out in downtown Middletown

Presta errs in criticism of public officials.  Celebration at City Hall overloads grid!

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 5:45pm

Kasson why do less than half of the kids feel safe going to school, just curious?

43 percent of students say they feel safe in school

By Meagan Engle | Friday, June 26, 2009, 02:11 PM

In this Sunday’s Journal, you can read a story about Middletown’s discipline and safety committee.

The committee was first formed by the school board with community members, with teachers later negotiating spots with the group.

From that group’s recommendations, Middletown will be focusing on improving climate next year.

Every year, Middletown does a climate survey with students.

For the 2008-09 school year, 46 percent of students reported students are violent; 52 percent reported students threaten to hurt others and 43 percent said they feel safe in school.

Read the report’s summary after the jump…

The purpose of this School Climate study was to continue investigating Middletown students’ attitudes regarding the climate of their school and their perceived level o f connectedness to school.

This study was fIrst conducted in the fall of 2005 and then replicated in the fall of 2006 and the fall of 2007. A report on the findings of those studies were completed and discussed in the previous years. Students attending Vail, Verity, Middletown High School, Middletown High School Success Academy and Central Academy served as the participants of the study this year.

A 2-page, 55-item survey developed b y Dr. Keith King assessed students’ perceived school connectedness and attitudes toward their school ‘s climate. Students were distributed the survey in their classroom settings. In the spring o f 2009, the School Climate survey was again distributed to Middletown students.

Data was collected as a means to continue monitoring students’ perceptions regarding school climate. Similar to data from the previous three years, results indicated that most Middletown students felt that their school climate was fairly positive on most indicators.

Concerning the adults in their school, most students felt that adults in their school treated them fairly, encouraged them to do well, respected them, were friendly to them, and expected them to do well. Half (51 %) felt that adults at their school cared about them (compared to 46% in 2007-2008) while one-third (38%) felt that adults at their school made them feel important (29% in 2007 -2008).

Nearly half (46%) felt that adults at their school try to understand them (compared to 41 % in 2007-2008). Equivalent to last year, a total of 54% reported that there is an adult at their school who they could go to if they had a problem.

Similarly, 54% reported that they felt like they fIt in at their school.

Two-thirds (65%) did not know that their school had a student assistance program, compared to 71 % in 2007-2008. Regarding student behaviors, 62% felt that students are rude to one another (compared to 63% in 2007-2008), while 14% felt students are kind to one another (compared to 10% in 2007-2008).

Thirteen percent reported that other students bully t hem (compared to 12% in 2007-2008), whereas 7% reported t hat they bully other students (compared to 7% in 2007- 2008).

Regarding perceived violence, 46% reported that students are violent (compared to 45% in 2007-2008), whereas 52% reported that students threaten to hurt others (compared to 51 % in 2007-2008).

Regarding perceived safety, 43% of students reported feeling safe in school (compared to 39% in 2007-2008).

Similar to the fInding from the previous surveys, the majority of students reported that there were several opportunities to become involved in extracurricular activities at school. Such activities help to build positive connections among students and help in preventing student violence and substance use.

A table illustrating the reported school climate differences among 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 is provided on the following pages. In addition, complete frequency distributions for each item in the 2008-2009 report are provided. Analyses were also conducted to determine whether perceived school climate differed based on school, sex, grade, and race. These results are also displayed in this report.

Such fIndings should be benefIcial in determining areas of improvement and areas needing further attention. School climate and students’ perceived connectedness to the school has been shown in several research studies to be a leading protective factor against students’ involvement in alcohol use, tobacco use, marijuana use, violence, suicide, and early sexual behavior.

Thus, strategies to increase positive connections among students and their school should be explored.

In addition, since many students in this study reported that they were not aware of their school’s student assistance program additional steps should be taken to further promote such resources.

In so doing, students can receive the help that they need. Regarding violence prevention, perceived safety and positive school climate, some improvements have been noted. Steps should continue be taken to ensure that all students feel safe and secure within their school environment.

Continued attention to violence and bullying prevention is warranted.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 5:55pm
Seems there must be some issues somewhere:

Truancy Court referals by school district

*2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 total

Hamilton 122 185 234 273 265 1,079

Fairfield 71 146 174 12 82 593

Middletown 153 272 362 290 188 1,265

Lakota 45 61 74 66 49 295

Ross 8 8 7 9 12 44

Edgewood 9 27 34 28 26 124

New Miami 12 18 19 17 25 91

Monroe 9 12 13 13 16 63

Talawanda 1 45 39 21 35 153

Madison 2 11 6 1 5 25

*As of Nov. 18

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:13pm

Ms. Andrew I was unaware how much a school board member made, $125 is less than I assumed, can I ask how many meetings you have in a year roughly, meetings that pay you?

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:15pm
Mr. Presta,

Yes, now that you have laid it out, I can see how you came to the conclusion you did about the timing of the selection of the three finalists. I still don't think it was the most plausible or reasonable conclusion based on the facts as you knew them, but I think I understand your viewpoint. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

As Kasson has already pointed out, the Board did give notice of all meetings with the search consultant. Each started as a public meeting, and the ones where we discussed particular candidates went into executive session, as noticed.

Marcia Andrew
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:21pm
Kasson and Gemneye,

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences with the Middletown schools. I have a son who is a high school honors student, whose experiences at MHS so far has been similar to that described by Kasson. I also have a special needs daughter, who has always received caring, specialized attention to help her be successful.

Marcia Andrew
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 10:03pm
VietVet,

1.  Middletown does not do quite as well as Hamilton on state tests. Both districts are in Continuous Improvement, although Hamilton has a higher overall Performance Index, and more indicators met. However, Hamilton's student population is not quite as needy. Franklin and Miamisburg are both rated excellent, but the demographics of their student population is not even close:

Middletown: 70.3% white, 67.1 % free/reduced, 17.9% special needs
Hamilton: 76.6% white, 58.8% free/reduced, 16.5% special needs
Frankllin: 96.7% white, 36.5% free/reduced, 17.3% special needs
Miamisburg: 86.1% white, 29.6% free/reduced, 13.9 % special needs
Springfield: 63.3% white, 67% free/reduced, 16.5% special needs.

Springfield is fairly close in terms of the demographics and size. They are also in Continuous Improvement, 1 less indicator met than Middletown and a few points lower on the overall performance index.

2. Enrollment in the district has stabilized. I don't have official numbers for this school year, but I don't think it declined, and it did not decline last year either. The 8 remaining elementary schools are well-utilized--visit them and you will not find empty classrooms. Some grades in some buildings are actually oversubscribed. The district had to build based on projections it had at the time, and projections are only that, they are not guarantees.

3,4,5: I stand by my original answers.

6. I agree, if something isn't working, it should be changed. Where we disagree is your assumption that because results haven't changed, its business as usual. There have been changes in the job expectations of assistant principals, as well as some changes in the faces filling those jobs.

7. The huge increase in Section 8 housing in Middletown is really a question for city council, not the BOE. The BOE did raise this concern with City Council. There response has been that the increase did not occur on their watch, and now that the people are here, they can't just kick them out on the street.

8. Police officers in the secondary schools is just one element of an approach to discipline that includes multiple levels of intervention. Thanks to Wasteful for posting some of the data from the Journal article I was referring to in my previous post. You can see from those numbers that MCSD does resort to the courts when necessary and appropriate. The severity of the consequences imposed on parents by the courts is up to the courts and the state legislature, not the BOE.  Truancy is just one example of the issues that are more likely to be present for kids from economically disadvantaged households; the lower referral numbers for Lakota and Fairfield is some evidence of this phenomenom.  

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your questions. I appreciate your interest in and concern for our schools.

Marcia Andrew

kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 1:11am
Wasteful,
I cannot answer your question as to why less than half of the students feel safe in school; I can only tell you my family's experiences and believe me, I would not send my child to MHS if I didn't feel as if she were safe.
What we have experienced over the last 4 years is that MHS almost has a high school within a high school.  The better performing kids are placed in advanced classes as freshmen, then can take a honors math class and AP American History as a sophomore, filling out their schedule with advanced classes.  Then as a junior they can take almost all honors (there are only 4 offered), and AP classes.  As a senior, again more AP, honors and/or the PSEO at MUM.  Because of this all of the higher performing students have almost all their classes together.  These are kids that care about learning, generally have parents that are involved in their child's education, and plan on going to college.  They are the "good" kids (at least most of them), they are heavily involved in extracurriculars, and volunteer in the community.  They respect their parents (most of the time :)) and their teachers.  There are little to no disclipine problems with these kids.  These are the kids that are hardly ever absent or tardy.  These are the kids you do not hear about.  Why?  Because they don't create problems and just go about their business.  There is nothing newsworthy to report about them.  They do what you would expect every child to do.  There are alot of these kids at MHS, more than you would guess, you just don't hear about them.  You only hear about the troublemakers.  Why?  Because they make the news, in one way or another.
Now about the test scores...exactly what Mrs. Andrew and alot of others have been saying...as your socioeconomic profile goes down so do your test scores.  It is a proven fact.  MCSD is inundated with low socioeconomic kids (70% plus free and reduced lunch).  These kids are in so-called "regular" classes, could care less about learning, are discipline problems, skip class, etc. ( I am of course, generalizing).  Who I feel sorry for is the kid who is in "regular" classes who really wants to learn and has all these troublemakers in there that are causing problems.
As an example, in order to graduate all kids must take health, speech, phys. ed., a tech course, etc.  So in these classes they mix all ability levels, so there are the highest performing kids in the same class as the troublemakers.  This was a real "eye opener" for us.  My child came home with reports of kids yelling cuss words at teachers, walking out of class and the worst- throwing chairs and desks across the room and kids having to duck in order not to be hit!  Those classes were a waste bbecause the teachers spent all their time disciplining students and not teaching.  My child did her homework for other classes in those classes.  The exception was P.E. as my child took that in summer school for two summers.  In my opinion, those classes should be segregated, just like the academics.
So, the moral of the story, so to speak, is yes, once again Section 8 and all the poverty in this town and this is not the BOE's domain, it is your city council!!!

kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 1:53am
Another tidbit... how many of your city council members attended a public school?...how many sent their kids to public school?...or their grandkids???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 5:42am

Mr. Presta,

Yes, now that you have laid it out, I can see how you came to the conclusion you did about the timing of the selection of the three finalists. I still don't think it was the most plausible or reasonable conclusion based on the facts as you knew them, but I think I understand your viewpoint. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Ms. Andrew:

Thank you for taking the time and having the patience to hear me out. I realize that I have a tendency to be quite verbose. I would really be interested in hearing the more “plausible or reasonable conclusion based on the facts” as we knew them, but this is not the time or the place. Perhaps if we are ever stuck waiting at some local civic event you will favor me with more detail on that position.

I am pleased that I was able to present our “case” well enough at least for you to understand our viewpoint. By this point, most others from the “city hall side”, would have called us kooks, crazy bloggers, nutty conspiracy theorists, or liars, or would have simply disappeared.

Should there ever be an occasion that you wonder how those from the “crazy blogger camp LOL” might feel about an issue, feel free to contact me. I assure you, at the minimum, an honest assessment. If it involves a position with which I agree, I will even offer to assist, if possible.

As Kasson has already pointed out, the Board did give notice of all meetings with the search consultant. Each started as a public meeting, and the ones where we discussed particular candidates went into executive session, as noticed.

Yes, and as I stated, that is exactly how it should have been to the best of my understanding of the law. Even though I was unaware of those facts, I already acknowledged this as an error on my part, and I do apologize. It does not surprise me that I missed the notices on the District web site, or that I didn’t watch the announcements at the end of the regular board meetings. I am quite surprised that I saw nothing in The Journal, either before or after either event noting that these would be special meetings for executive sessions. (The point being that I read both the e-Journal and the print version daily. Maybe they put it in the Sports section? LOL)

Regards,

Mike Presta

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 6:45am
Kasson, do the Student and the Parents determine if a Child is going the AP Course route?  Been a while since I was in High School and back then you basically had the Academic Route, AP, or you took the Auto Shop, etc. route, which is no longer offered in High Schools?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 6:59am
Ms. Andrew:

Kasson states:

"As an example, in order to graduate all kids must take health, speech, phys. ed., a tech course, etc.  So in these classes they mix all ability levels, so there are the highest performing kids in the same class as the troublemakers.  This was a real "eye opener" for us.  My child came home with reports of kids yelling cuss words at teachers, walking out of class and the worst- throwing chairs and desks across the room and kids having to duck in order not to be hit!  Those classes were a waste bbecause the teachers spent all their time disciplining students and not teaching.  My child did her homework for other classes in those classes.  The exception was P.E. as my child took that in summer school for two summers.  In my opinion, those classes should be segregated, just like the academics.  So, the moral of the story, so to speak, is yes, once again Section 8 and all the poverty in this town and this is not the BOE's domain, it is your city council!!!"

This is a major part of the problem in MCSD.  Now at the last Combined meeting of the MCSD and the City Council this issue was brought up by I believe you and Mr. Fiora, if I remember correctly, and the City Council, Marconi in particular just glossed over the issue and the bottom line is that now according to Marconi we have or they are striving for the best Section 8 program around.  Now this hardly addresses the problem or the fact that Middletown City Council and Admin have placed the City and the MCSD in a very poor position with Excessive poverty, Section 8 and Public Housing. 

What can be done between the City residents and the MCSD to impress upon the City Council and City Admin the seriousness of this matter and that it needs to be addressed so that the City and the MCSD can improve in the future?  Simply having the best Section 8 program in the word is fine and not the issue or answer to the problem, it is just sugar coating the problem.  Excessive Section 8 for a city the size of Middletown is the issue which the City Admin and Council ignore for the most part and refuse to deal with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic