FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

good for middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good for middletown
    Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 12:32pm

Im seeing this web site is good for middletownClap i was born in middletown in 1955  i moved from the middletown area a few years ago, now living in lebanon, it is really sad what the leaders of middletown have done over the many years.. my grandmother lived upstairs next to the MJ.  as a kid grandmom would give me handfull of change, i would head for the bus stop that place was so cool!! i would come out of there with a big bag of goodiesLOL  then i would take walks all over town, middletown was so cool. but then it happend, THE ROOF..   grandmom had to move.. ok enough of that,  back to this web site Clap  and also i will say that i see AJ and josh being on the right trackClap need more just like-em!!  it would be nice if there would be a takeover of the MJ and bring back real news and real reporting back to the people of middletown and surrounding area's..

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 2:40pm
Welcome bumper!!! I, too, was born here in 1948. I remember the bus stop down from G.C. Murphy on Broad St. Caught the Park Place bus next to what is now Beau Verre Studios many times when the green and white Ortman-Stewart buses were running. Remember the Meadowlawn, Crawford St, Lakeside, Upper Arlington buses too. You're correct! Some of Middletown's best days were during the decades of the 50's and 60's. Started to go down hill in the 70's IMO. When the Journal was run by locals, it was a decent newspaper. Then, as more non-Middletown residents took over positions within the Journal, it started to disintegrate as to interesting hometown news. Now, the news stories and the way they are written are a shadow of what they were back then. The talent has retired/ died and has not been replaced. To have the Journal like it was, it would have to be wrestled away from the Dayton Daily News influence. It has become pathetic since being taken over by the DDN. IMO, we on this site, are working on support for candidates like Laubach and Smith. We like the change in attitude and want to remove those in leadership roles that we view as having decimated this town. All of this is JMO of course. Again.... welcome aboard.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 4:51pm
Welcome Bumper!

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 6:29am
thanks vet and vivian, with Laubach and Smith im hoping its a good start on  showing the people of middletown that the same old does not work and rid council of the click that has put  middletown in this mess..
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 5:49pm
Yes, Welcome Bumper!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Upper90 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upper90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 9:43am
I think it is great too having community forums. But as you will see if you visit here daily, our community is very apathetic and only a few hardy souls post on here regularly. That is the problem and one of the many reasons the city we grew up in and loved has fallen to pieces quite frankly. I don't live in Middletown any more but still visit regularly and have parents and many friends there. There are several local community forums in towns one fifth the size of Middletown with more posts in one day than this forum gets in a month. Is that pretty accurate John, at least for Monroe site? It is not like people in Middletown don't have computers, so what is it?
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 9:52am
Actually, I wonder if there is a shortage of computer literacy in M'town (insert literacy joke here) between all the poor and the seniors in this town.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 10:20am
Bill- you may be correct here. Sounds like a need for the library to offer/ give free computer classes to the seniors and the poor. How about MUM offering some free evening computer classes to the public on campus? How about opening the PUBLIC neighborhood schools to allow the people in those areas of town to stop in, see what their taxes paid for and take a computer class on the basics once or twice a week. Then, if MUM, the library or the schools have excess computers that have been written off the books, give those same people a free computer to take home to practice what they have learned? Crazy idea???? Don't know until we try...... right? Might increase the computer literacy here in town. Use the school kids as tutors. The young people are computer wizards from what I have seen. It will also teach the young kids some interpersonal skills working with various aged people in a learning environment. Could help everyone involved in many ways. JMO
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 8:36pm
I have been reading the posts and agree with everyone that two of our new council members, Josh and A.J.  have been actually trying to represent the citizens. Good Job!!!!! what a great start for these young council members who have been labeled a "little wet behind the ears". They have answered questions when asked and have asked questions of their fellow council that we could never get answered. They have shown they are interested in saving the city and have thought beyond govt aid, section 8 and personal gain.

What I haven't read is any praise for the third new member (drum roll) the ALMIGHTY & MOST WONDERFULLY KNOWING Mr Dan Picard. Not that I'm surprised. It was obvious he was "one of them" when the MJ listed his financiers during his run for the council seat. Same ones all the others have/had . .  except for Josh and A.J. (and Gary Barge) I think even the good ol' boys better watch out for this one. IMO he is not a follower and his goals are obvious. Give him a little time to show his true colors. On an occasion when I disagreed with him he was very quick to point out to me that he had more power and more money than I did and right or wrong he would win. Yessir we are lucky to have him.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 6:35am
Think you're right wannaknow on your assessment of Picard. Seemed to indicate from the beginning which side of the fence he chose to align himself with. His recent posts here indicated as much. If we can move his little buddies, Becker and Mulligan out next election, and, hopefully, the folks in the 4th Ward will have had enough of Picard and not retain him (assuming he decides to run again), AND, after this term, we can finally get people to see the light in the 1st Ward to purge Armbruster, we may have a council that will make a difference and work for the people for once. Scott- Jones may feel less inhibited and start to "open up." I sense she feels confined by the atmosphere created by these people. As has been mentioned before- to be even more effective, we will need this new council to clean the deadwood from the city building starting with the city manager on down.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 11:19am
Vietvet, I continue to be utterly astounded with the discussions which hinge on new council members and wait until the next election. Middletown as been in an absolute free fall for years. It accelerated when Fenwick and the hospital moved, and the AK execs packed their bags. Add to that the hosuing meltdown that cost trillions of $ in liquidiy of homes and commercial properties, and Middletown is in a dire situation. I make reference to the citizens, not the city, as it continues to find ways to have plenty to feast upon, while making all those cuts which are just not filling jobs. The ignorant voter that provided the .25% increase is what kept city hall afloat. All those funds spread around to other departments. Do you actually thinh safety has improved and do you actually think for a minute, the .25% increase translated to elevating your propery value, your neighborhood, your quality of life? if so, I have a home in a nice neighborhood i'd love to sell you.

All this talk of change and alteration is exactly what has been spoken for at least 6 hears on these forums. It isn't happened. Partly, because all give city council and the school board far too much credit. Council members don't have the time to get actively involved in all issues, its overwhelming. And who is one of the biggest employers in the city besides the Atrium and AK? The city. Who benefits from that? Some city council members.

What did you expect from Picard, he's a catholic and tight with that community. They all do business with one another. He is never going to be misaligned with Becker nor Mulligan. I suppose his ambitions are a judgeship in the future, same tactic as Mr. Powers. What did you expect of him that anyone who does this community surely would know where he would fall on issues. Middletown residents don't seem to get what prevents change. Its because the city has power because its a major employer, and it won't relingusih that power. You think 7 council people are going to change that. Well...that "ain't" gonna happen.

Focus on organization and getting power back to the people, but not through city council. That's an impossible task. What's Mr. Mulligan goimg to do when his father retired from city hall? And Mr. Becker---he retired from the system. Mr. Picard? Family been in Middletown for decades, paper business, and he has clients that are fed through the strong attorney network in Middletown that has close ties to Fenwick.

Everyone keeps putting the cards and future on council and the school board. The school board readily admitted they don't get paid much, and don't have time to do work outside normal hrs. That came from Ms. Andrews. They get a retained search firm, and there was one man standing from a different state. That man is now slated to be the new superintendant.

I'm not certain if this forum is intended to be cathartic or alter change, but CHANGE will not come about through city council or the school board. CHANGE will come about when enough residents say enough is enough, and organize to a point that petitions are taken out, and anger reaches a boiling point that accountability and real actions began to take place.Will that ever happen in Middletown? I doubt it.  You see, even the anger and fire that engulfed Massachusetts in putting in Brown would never occur in Middletown because frankly, as Rhett Butler said to Charlotte, "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 12:52pm
acclaro- I agree with your assessment of the situation within the city. I agree that there is an abundance of apathy with the citizens of this community. My contention is that you have to start somewhere and that starting point is to gut and overhaul the Council and the School Board while retaining some current members. Sauter and Fiora on the School Board are worth keeping. Likewise, Laubach, Smith and Scott-Jones all have potential if they remain committed to the people's wishes and don't stray over to the people in both camps who seem bent on destroying the city and the schools.

As we are working to teardown and rebuild Council and the School Board, we must try to find the golden solution of how to take all the angry people in this town and build them into one large group with an agenda and a message saying if these people don't start doing what we want them to do, we are going to gather petition signatures and have them removed for the purpose of replacing them with our own candidates, who will do what we want them to do. It will take several of the current Council and School Board members removals before they look up and take notice that we are serious. Until that happens, they are not intimidated. It will also take the removal, by the new Council, of the City Manager and some of her crew to straighten up the attitude within the city building too. All of this needs to be repaired for any chance for change.

There has been several attempts to organize the people for the purpose of strength in numbers. None have been successful. You can get the people angry enough to talk about the problems but you can't get them off the couch to go develop a game plan and organize. They care and are angry..... just not enough to do anything about it. JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 1:17pm
VV- you made my point "just not enough to do anything about it." You see, residents don't care, they are apathetic. They don't care. And you are talking about changes on council, that just don't take place. So...its perpetual cathartic pounding on the blog board, but nothing is changing. Public servants protecting public servants....former Dean of MUM leading a facilitation mgt attended by 25, 90% retired, on how MUM will help Middletown? This town is going down for the count. Not the city hall, as they will always find a way to amass the votes needed to pass a library levy, or school levy (because they organize), but the citizens who pay the bills and who are watching their property values go down the drain, while leaders outside Middletown leverage its dire economics to gain funding associated with poverty.  This is a cathartic board, not a change board, because no change is comin my friend in Middletown. Just more passed levies in spite of pathetic performance and continued excuses. JMO.  
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 1:18pm
Acclaro,
I definitely agree that citizen apathy is one huge problem here in Middletown.  Some astoundingly outrageous things have occurred at City Hall, yet very few of the people were outraged.

However, I must disagree with your assessment of the strength of the "Catholic connection".  I am a proud alumnus of St. John's School (one of the forerunners of John XXIII) and Fenwick High School, and continue to be a strong supporter of Fenwick.  I have frequently been "misaligned" with Mulligan and Becker (and it appears that I will be with Picard as well.) 

I've remained silent in the past when others have posted about this "connection" and while I believe that Fenwick and John XXIII try to be good civic organizations, I assure you that the Catholic community in Middletown is no more "aligned" with City Hall than any other group in Middletown.  They certainly do not vote as a "block", and I would wager (if wagering were legal in Ohio) that their vote on the great majority of candidates and issues is very similar to that of the community as a whole (or perhaps a bit more conservative.)

I say all of this not to argue, but only because I believe it is true, and so that if, by some miracle, we can mount a drive to actually promote a correction of our municipal course, that we do not squander such effort by tilting at windmills.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 1:48pm
Mike, I also share the connection you reference as have my children from XXIII through Fenwick. Lets explore the city and its roots. Judge and Magistrate, former city law director (ND law grad), former police chief, former council person now in Butler Cty w/ cpa, former council person making bid for cty commission now NN is not running, former city Financial Chief retired, to name a few. Local residents don't vote on issues as much as the people they do, and whom they sahre a common bond, and school and church is that bond.

Who had the highest votes in the last election? Mr. Becker and Mr. Mulligan. Was it because of their politics, or affiliation? I argue affiliation (devil you know better than the devil you don't). My point is not to debate whether that block helps or impedes, but rather to state to Vet, it is natural for Picard to align with Mulligan and Becker. As for the miracle you reference, I concur, and don't expect it to come in altering the course of history, as unfortunate it is for those impacted by days gone by, and reaction not proaction.   
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Likewise, Laubach, Smith and Scott-Jones all have potential if they remain committed to the people's wishes and don't stray over to the people in both camps who seem bent on destroying the city and the schools.

What "people's" wishes do you have in mind here? Vet, how do you reconcile that different people in this town have vastly different ideas regarding how the town should be governed?

Also, you seem to be ascribing agency and intentionality where I don't think it's warranted. I don't understand the claim that some "people" in the city are actively trying to destroy the city and the schools. I just don't see it. Those claims feel more like inflated rhetoric to me.

There has been several attempts to organize the people for the purpose of strength in numbers. None have been successful. You can get the people angry enough to talk about the problems but you can't get them off the couch to go develop a game plan and organize. They care and are angry..... just not enough to do anything about it. JMO

Actually, there are people in the community who organize effectively. That's why you're here posting about why the current system doesn't work (I think), because people who don't share your views organized, were elected, and enacted an agenda with which you don't agree (perhaps). So the question is why could those folks organize, while others cannot?   This is a serious question, and I would hope the answer goes beyond conspiracy theories and Middletown mysticism.     

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 1:57pm

As one who long ago played the "religion card" on this forum, now I would pretty much agree with Mr.P's assessment of the Catholic community. While bonded by their small-school up-bringing, my Catholic friends think pretty much like all of us and everyone else(since they actually ARE all of us and everyone else).

It is simply wrong to stereotype any group, and it is best viewed that Mr.Mulligan/Becker/Picard vote alike because they think alike, and think similar to a large(but rapidly shrinking) older group of locals. From what I know of our Councilmembers they are all good people with redeeming qualities. I simply don't agree with their desired direction.

Pretty much everyone I know from every backround is fed up with the city building bunch, and has no intention of supporting business as usual. Those downtown will find that out as the cards play themselves out.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

... Lets explore the city and its roots. Judge and Magistrate, former city law director (ND law grad), former police chief, former council person now in Butler Cty w/ cpa, former council person making bid for cty commission now NN is not running, former city Financial Chief retired, to name a few. Local residents don't vote on issues as much as the people they do, and whom they sahre a common bond, and school and church is that bond. ...
Aye, there's the rub!!!  With the exception of Judge Wall, I don't think that even one of the other people that you mentioned are Fenwick alumni.  (Nenni attended at least 3 years.  Did he switch for his Senior year???)  Besides, they're all young whipper-snappers, too young to have attended when the majority of teachers were priests and nuns!!!  I suppose that's why they don't know any better than to do some of things that they are doing!!!
That's also why many--but not all--of the older Catholics are "misaligned" with them!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 5:00pm

spider, I understand your point. Undoubtedly, Middletown has a strong catholic community ( I am one by the way, so I don't mean to cast negative commentary associated with many fine people associated with the religion). But, I also know how tight it can be in many circles. The older ones of "faith" are very much aligned with the ruling class referenced, and they know how to organize as Marianne indicated (fund raising a core forte). Glad to hear others have seen the light and know what's going on at city hall. By the way, I think the firemen and police got a sweetheart deal in their shrewd negotiations with the city. Nive cost of living adjustments etc. Go ask Butler County Health employees when they got teir last raise, any adjustment. About 7 years ago. True of many Butler Cty departments. I know that was one of your biggest complaints, and I see the negotiations with little if any meaningful concessions made. Business as usual.

Don't want to get lost on my point to Vet, that being there should be no surprise how Picard thinks of like mind as Becker and Mulligan. Many factors come into play there besides doctrine.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 5:24pm
Marianne-"people's wishes I had in mind": (as has been mentioned many, many times on this forum)

Reduction of Section 8

Better communication between city gov. and the people. Less secrecy

Stop the theme of attraction of low income/welfare mentality

Better streets/infrastructure

Lower taxes

More common sense priorities- (ie- no more using money for limited popularity programs like bike paths and paving a parking lot at Bicentennial Commons)

Improve the effort to obtain decent paying jobs for the people

Start being business friendly and stop the practice of letting the Planning Director pick and choose the businesses that are allowed in town

More upon request

"How do you reconcile that different people in this town have vastly different ideas regarding how the town should be governed?" We really don't know that for a fact, do we? How do you get a read on that statement when you have so much non-participation and apathy in this town. Other than the remarks on this forum and the publicized positions from the city, we really don't have a read on the silent majority of the citizens, do we? We do know that a sizable percentage of the citizens are angry, don't we?

"Also, you seem to be ascribing agency (explain your meaning of the word- agency) and intentionality (is that a real word?) where I don't think it's warranted". What???? Please talk in layman's English for us mere mortals. Anyone can use a Roget's.

You don't see the claim that some people in this city are trying to destroy it? Trust me, Marianne, when you have experienced the climate of this town in the good times, as I have, and compare it with the condition it is in now, you would come to the conclusion that the town is being destroyed. Were you around here in the 50's and 60's? If not, you wouldn't be able to understand my comparison.

Marianne.... the people who organized, were elected and enacted an agenda needed to do so to target a small percentage of targeted voters in their corner of the town to get elected. You don't need large numbers to get elected in this town due to apathy in the voting process with Midd. citizens. IMO, it would be much harder to organize the much larger community-wide voter block needed to outnumber the "club" candidate votes. To defeat the entire "club" sponsored candidates, one would need to register (and assure they went to the polls), a sizable group of eligible city residents. I don't believe that you could motivate the number of people in this town to vote the "regulars" out of office due to the apathy. Another important aspect to consider is that if they are sponsored by the MMF'ers, they are set up with the signs, the pamphlet printing and distribution, the financing, and the networking to support their campaigns, whereas the candidates outside the MMF network must struggle to match them. No conspiracy nor mysticism here. This scenario actually occurs each election.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2010 at 9:57pm
Vet, if you'll indulge me, I think there is a circuitous circle that continues constantly, an infiinity circle, that never ends, that never accomplishes. I mean that in no disrespect, and perhaps you are correct as am I, that the apathy is so overwheming in Middletown no one cares, or its filled with such a high population of aging population, why rock the boat.

City council and the school board are not the answer nor solution. They never have been. As others stated, the wisdom which came from the council at the recent retreat was text book 101 in urban development, aka, public safety, infrastructure. Stating the obvious is an overstatement.

What about someone pushing the ordinance back...question and request  to the young bucks whom are new to council, the one that's allowed funds to be diverted 20 years? That would seem to be a no brainer to most, but it never progresses, never is mentioned. Of all considerations, that is one that is deserving of emergency legislation.

Why is the city spending money dedicated to safety elsewhere? Who cares if 4 positions aren't filled, if it is not impacting safety. The .25% increase was never about safety, but about protecting an income stream, it slowed the hemorrage from AK executive management bolting. 

Economic development and the Master Plan? Neither exist or are pursued. Neyer leads the way on development with a wrecking ball runnig a close #2. The master plan is just works of aspiration at such a high level it wouldn't pass in an intro 101 marketing class at MUM.  There are problems, and there are solutions. What is visible is the enormity of the problems, What is lacking are constructive solutions. They won't come from city hall. They won't come from city council. They won't come from the school board.

Oh well, in another 3 months, the Bash kicks off, and we all can get drunk listening to the entertainment and at least for a day, have some relief from the nightmare of being trapped in this city. If anyone has a good exit strategy, please contact me immediately..   .        
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 9:57am
acclaro- You are right. THIS council/school board are not the answer nor solution. Question.... policies, ordinances, procedures, laws, levies, job creation, school policies, school levies, superintendent hirings Section 8 levels, whatever you wish to discuss, comes from either the Council, the School Board, the city manager, the law director, the Planning Director, the Econ. Dev. Director or someone in the city building. My contention is...... if you replace the current "wrong path" (ie- who the citizens are angry with and want replaced) people on Council and the School Board and replace them with the "correct path" (ie- people who are more "in-line" with the people's wishes, who have the prosperity of the town as their agenda and who will start making competent decisions concerning this town) it will be a starting point (not the total solution) on making this a better place. Through the new stock of council/school board, we need to request that they remove some people in the city building starting with the city manager and we remove some on the school board and replace with active people. If you don't change the people and the current mentality, it doesn't have a prayers chance in he-- of changing. Why can't we have constructive solutions as you call them if we get the right combination of people in Council/School Board? The people are too apathetic to demand a change. We few that care enough to follow the town leader's antics are going to have to overcome the beast that feeds this city with poor leadership. We will have to encourage people with the correct ideas and direction to run and will have to outnumber the beast's candidates at the polls. Hard task.

Alright.... let's push back on some long festering issues. AJ/Josh (Anita?), please check for us, what happened in the 80's when the city said they needed money for the general fund and ask us voters to ok taking the money from the street fund and place it in the general fund. Find out why the voter was never asked by city hall to put the money back in the street fund and why it remains in the general fund today. If still in the general fund, could you two start the precedings to place before the voters a ballot to vote to put it back in the street fund after more than 20 years? Any other monies that were diverted over the years and were never replaced Mike? AJ/ Josh- how about sitting down with Russ Carolus and have him explain to you all the money manipulations over the years with all the funds, paying special attention to all the funds that are feeding the GENERAL FUND.... ie the black hole where monies from dedicated funds (street repairs) go to get lost and become unaccounted for. Can you tell them about the general fund Mike?
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 10:45am
Joshua, A.J., Viet Vet, Mike, Pacman, Miss Vivian, Wasteful, Hermes, Etc. -

Did you know that the City of Middletown established a HUD Housing Rehabilitation Revolving Loan Fund (HRRLF) a couple of decades ago?

When I left City employment one year ago the HRLLF had a little over $1,500,000 in performing loans in the portfolio.  And, there was over $500,000 in cash.

According to former City employee Skip Batten, about $500,000 in non-performing HRRLF loans were written off in 2002 or 2003 by John Lyons and Marty Kohler,  Additionally, $300,000 of additional non-performing HRRLF loans were written off in the fall of 2006 by Mr. Batten and Pam Banks.

When I assumed my former position with the City there were a number of problems to be addressed.  There was the "FHA Dollar Homes" fiasco, the still unfinished Maple Park New Housing Development, the unproductive Down Payment/Closing Cost Assistance Program handled by a non-profit vendor prior to 2007, etc.

In 2008 a loan servicing/collection policy was established by me to stop the financial bleeding of the HRRLF. Non-existent Housing Rehabilitation Program Guidelines & Procedures were developed by me plus the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee and distributed to senior City staff plus City Council Housing Sub-Committee members in June of 2008.  Sadly, they were not acted upon as of the date of my departure.

So much HUD money has been lost and squandered over the years.  Sadly, mismanagement and waste doesn't seem to evoke much of any outcry from very many Middletonians?  And, those past and present City staff have never been held accountable.  That doesn't speak well for Middletown in my humble opinion!
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2010 at 12:25pm

"Also, you seem to be ascribing agency (explain your meaning of the word- agency) and intentionality (is that a real word?) where I don't think it's warranted". What???? Please talk in layman's English for us mere mortals. Anyone can use a Roget's.

Vet, you're arguing that individuals in the community a. have the ability to do something, and b. are willfully doing something.

I don't use a thesaurus for my posts.

You don't see the claim that some people in this city are trying to destroy it? Trust me, Marianne, when you have experienced the climate of this town in the good times, as I have, and compare it with the condition it is in now, you would come to the conclusion that the town is being destroyed. Were you around here in the 50's and 60's? If not, you wouldn't be able to understand my comparison.

Sorry, I don't buy the "If you haven't lived here for 50 years, you don't understand" argument. No, I haven't lived here for 50 years, but I really don't believe a small group of individuals is actively trying to "destroy" the town. Would make for a good Stephen King novel, perhaps (Middletown as The Dome?).

Honestly, that thinking - ascribing the current situation in Middletown to a rogue group of wealthy insiders with ill-will for the rest of us ordinary folks - seems to simply a complex problem. Good for blogs, not good for real change.   

Marianne.... the people who organized, were elected and enacted an agenda needed to do so to target a small percentage of targeted voters in their corner of the town to get elected. You don't need large numbers to get elected in this town due to apathy in the voting process with Midd. citizens. IMO, it would be much harder to organize the much larger community-wide voter block needed to outnumber the "club" candidate votes. To defeat the entire "club" sponsored candidates, one would need to register (and assure they went to the polls), a sizable group of eligible city residents. I don't believe that you could motivate the number of people in this town to vote the "regulars" out of office due to the apathy. Another important aspect to consider is that if they are sponsored by the MMF'ers, they are set up with the signs, the pamphlet printing and distribution, the financing, and the networking to support their campaigns, whereas the candidates outside the MMF network must struggle to match them. No conspiracy nor mysticism here. This scenario actually occurs each election.

Vet, I agree with you here: if you want to have someone elected through The Ward system, you need only get a small percentage of people to the polls. If anything, it seems like that fact would make it easier for you and people who share your views to organize, get out the vote, and get someone elected who represents your perspective.

Look at the spending in the last election. Divide the amount raised/spent by the number of votes earned. I believe that AJ Smith's campaign probably spent the most "per vote". (I'd need to check my math though, so I apologize if I have this wrong).   Are you including his campaign in your MMFer category? I wouldn't think so.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2010 at 12:17am
Hey Vet, I suggest we keep this real simple, instead of a tit for tat on how much Mulligan and becker got from AK and The Atrium (about $50 Kk), vs AJ Smith from Obama and others. That is a moot point and has not bearing on the topic at hand. You took the initiative: lets see if the two young men respond, get a funds dedicated to the infrastructure fund, or continue to let $ millions be wasted elsewhere. If they do nothing, then they have their priorities horribly wrong and we all know council is incapable of making the most rudimentary of decisions.

So, Vet what's the next priority? Again, don't put your faith in investing in time to develop and replae council. Some argued months ago certain members should be removed as well as employees, Mr. Kohler comes to mind. I recall Mr. Mulligan basically stating go pound sand, "ain't happening on my watch." So why waste the time?

Should some be removed for unethical dealing? I don't think that would yield anything do you, and there would be no basis for it.  Therefore, what priorities can be altered? Well, you'd say section 8. I'd argue by contract and obligation accordibgly, little can be done to impact numbers. And is that really a core function of city hall, I think not, and acknowledged as such by city council at their retreat.

Now lets talk public safety. Apparently, money allocated for safety and employees was spent elsewhere---is that a correct assumption? If so, how is that investigated, and should it be? Probably so.

Infrastructure. Well, if the golden boys on council due their due diligence the ordinance will be changed back 20 years, or we'll know other motives serve council's agenda than common sense actions.

Should the tax levy be defeated in a few years, rolled back to 1.75? No doubt in my mind, what is anyone getting now? Not much service which city hall assures all is aware. And the school levy, should it be renewed? Debateable, and probably no, asI doubt anyone could point to anything that the levy would bring about possitively in increasing resident interest or property values. All the realtors of course, will cry how the city will plunge, but it couldn't get any worse, any thinking mind would agree on that.

As for organization, I think it begins with what objectives are laid forth. Don't harness people for the sake of harness, set some basic objectives. Form a concensus most functions non essential will be outsourced. How about the golf course---would that attract a few thousand voters? Probably. Roll back the tax---another no brainer, there's 7,000 votes there.

What's missing? Streets? Potholes? Dog playgrounds? $50kk- $100 KK on consultants that have contributed noting? Pick 3-4 top of mind issues, and you;ll ave 10,000 strong that will drwarf MMF. Then, taking back the city begins. During the good days you refer, Armco made that happen. Today, its all man and woman for themselve. This is a start and it bypasses city council and government who will never be on board or think of the big picture. They care about survival to retirement, not what Middletown becomes in 10 years. Recall the selling point on the 2.25% levey was paving streets in two generations. In six months, the ship begins to raise, and begin its descent to the depths of the sea.

A memo to Nelson Self: Mr. Self, no one in the city of Middletown is worth nor has the ability to ruin one's life in spite of their efforts. Tey aren't wort the time. But them behind you. If you have claims, file them, Otherwise, do some HUD consultanting and realize you moed into a mess which has been around for years. Its not worth impacting your health further to seek the truth when those wo should seek it, and incabale of confronting it, and won't. You could write a dissertation, have it published, but it will not alter the mindset of those you work. They care about one thing---survival. Forward thinking, doing what's right, being fair and equitable to all, is simply the least of their collective concerns. You see, they think they know, more tan you, I, and 49700 residents.                 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic