FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Price New Superintendent of Hazelwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 9:00pm
HSD this was a major concern for many parents:

43 percent of students say they feel safe in school

By Meagan Engle | Friday, June 26, 2009, 02:11 PM

In this Sunday’s Journal, you can read a story about Middletown’s discipline and safety committee.

The committee was first formed by the school board with community members, with teachers later negotiating spots with the group.

From that group’s recommendations, Middletown will be focusing on improving climate next year.

Every year, Middletown does a climate survey with students.

For the 2008-09 school year, 46 percent of students reported students are violent; 52 percent reported students threaten to hurt others and 43 percent said they feel safe in school.

Read the report’s summary after the jump…

The purpose of this School Climate study was to continue investigating Middletown students’ attitudes regarding the climate of their school and their perceived level o f connectedness to school.

This study was fIrst conducted in the fall of 2005 and then replicated in the fall of 2006 and the fall of 2007. A report on the findings of those studies were completed and discussed in the previous years. Students attending Vail, Verity, Middletown High School, Middletown High School Success Academy and Central Academy served as the participants of the study this year.

A 2-page, 55-item survey developed b y Dr. Keith King assessed students’ perceived school connectedness and attitudes toward their school ‘s climate. Students were distributed the survey in their classroom settings. In the spring o f 2009, the School Climate survey was again distributed to Middletown students.

Data was collected as a means to continue monitoring students’ perceptions regarding school climate. Similar to data from the previous three years, results indicated that most Middletown students felt that their school climate was fairly positive on most indicators.

Concerning the adults in their school, most students felt that adults in their school treated them fairly, encouraged them to do well, respected them, were friendly to them, and expected them to do well. Half (51 %) felt that adults at their school cared about them (compared to 46% in 2007-2008) while one-third (38%) felt that adults at their school made them feel important (29% in 2007 -2008).

Nearly half (46%) felt that adults at their school try to understand them (compared to 41 % in 2007-2008). Equivalent to last year, a total of 54% reported that there is an adult at their school who they could go to if they had a problem.

Similarly, 54% reported that they felt like they fIt in at their school.

Two-thirds (65%) did not know that their school had a student assistance program, compared to 71 % in 2007-2008. Regarding student behaviors, 62% felt that students are rude to one another (compared to 63% in 2007-2008), while 14% felt students are kind to one another (compared to 10% in 2007-2008).

Thirteen percent reported that other students bully t hem (compared to 12% in 2007-2008), whereas 7% reported t hat they bully other students (compared to 7% in 2007- 2008).

Regarding perceived violence, 46% reported that students are violent (compared to 45% in 2007-2008), whereas 52% reported that students threaten to hurt others (compared to 51 % in 2007-2008).

Regarding perceived safety, 43% of students reported feeling safe in school (compared to 39% in 2007-2008).

Similar to the fInding from the previous surveys, the majority of students reported that there were several opportunities to become involved in extracurricular activities at school. Such activities help to build positive connections among students and help in preventing student violence and substance use.

A table illustrating the reported school climate differences among 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 is provided on the following pages. In addition, complete frequency distributions for each item in the 2008-2009 report are provided. Analyses were also conducted to determine whether perceived school climate differed based on school, sex, grade, and race. These results are also displayed in this report.

Such fIndings should be benefIcial in determining areas of improvement and areas needing further attention. School climate and students’ perceived connectedness to the school has been shown in several research studies to be a leading protective factor against students’ involvement in alcohol use, tobacco use, marijuana use, violence, suicide, and early sexual behavior.

Thus, strategies to increase positive connections among students and their school should be explored.

In addition, since many students in this study reported that they were not aware of their school’s student assistance program additional steps should be taken to further promote such resources.

In so doing, students can receive the help that they need. Regarding violence prevention, perceived safety and positive school climate, some improvements have been noted. Steps should continue be taken to ensure that all students feel safe and secure within their school environment.

Continued attention to violence and bullying prevention is warranted.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 9:01pm
Truancy Court referals by school district

*2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 total

Hamilton 122 185 234 273 265 1,079

Fairfield 71 146 174 12 82 593

Middletown 153 272 362 290 188 1,265

Lakota 45 61 74 66 49 295

Ross 8 8 7 9 12 44

Edgewood 9 27 34 28 26 124

New Miami 12 18 19 17 25 91

Monroe 9 12 13 13 16 63

Talawanda 1 45 39 21 35 153

Madison 2 11 6 1 5 25

*As of Nov. 18

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 9:05pm
State%20report%20card%20results%20for%20local%20schools
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 9:08pm

Breakdown of arrests at Middletown High School

By Meagan Engle | Sunday, May 31, 2009, 09:59 AM

Here’s the breakdown of citations into court issued at Middletown High School:

Misdemeanors

Aggravated menacing 2

Assault 13

Criminal damaging 2

Criminal mischief 10

Criminal trespass 16

Disorderly conduct 97

Domestic violence 1

Drug abuse marijuana 10

Drug paraphernalia 6

Ethnic Intimidation 5

Falsification 1

Inciting to violence 9

Inducing panic 5

Menacing 13

Obstructing 26

Possession of tobacco 13

Receiving 2

Resisting arrest 4

Theft 10

Unruly 62

Warrant arrest 2

Felonies

Arson 2

Attempted vehicular assault 1

Assault 2

Breaking and entering 3

Conveyance 1

Corrupting another 2

Fleeing scene 1

Obstructing 1

Pandering 3

Theft 1

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 9:09pm

Breakdown of arrests at Vail Middle School

By Meagan Engle | Monday, June 1, 2009, 05:52 PM

Breakdown of the 51 citations into juvenile court issued at Vail Middle School this school year:

Misdemenors Unruly: 13

Disorderly: 14

Assault: 6

Theft: 2

Menacing: 3

Receiving Stolen: 1

Criminal Mischief: 1

Criminal Damage: 2

Drug Parap.: 1

Drug Abuse: 2

Poss. Drugs: 1

Felonies

Illegal Conveyance: 3

Pandering: 1

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 9:09pm

Breakdown of arrests at Verity Middle School

By Meagan Engle | Monday, June 1, 2009, 05:40 PM

Here is the breakdown of the 77 citations into juvenile court issued at Verity Middle School…

Misdemeanors

Assault: 9

Criminal Mischief: 4

Criminal Trespass: 3

Disorderly Conduct: 31

Drug Abuse Marijuana: 2

Obstructing: 3

Possession of Tobacco: 1

Probation Violation: 2

Unruly: 5

Sell of Drugs Prescription: 6

Theft: 9

Felonies

Weapons in School, knife: 2

HSD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 10:10pm
If 43 % felt safe then 57 % did not.....not very good statistically.. The article was very interesting as well as the  numbers of arrests. Our number of discipline incidents is already two times our states average. This is worrisome. It was also enlightening that your districts truancy referrals were much greater than other districts in the state. I hope we don't see a similar trend in our district.

As far as report card grade for your district....I thought he improved scores however your district is still in 'continuous improvement' . I guess improvement is all relative to how it is viewed.

I am happy that he is out of your district but apprehensive over his coming to ours. HSD has issues already and I hope they are not compounded under his tenure here.

Tomorrow night our BOE will officially approve his hiring and there will be a community reception for him on Wednesday. 

Thanks for the information
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 9:35am
HSD, I find it odd only one person posted on the newspaper blog in the HSD, in addition to one person from Middletown revealing many facts associated with the performance in Middletown. In fact, it reads more to me it was a Middletownian whom acted in his defense (or maybe it was Dr. Price himself) who responded to the initial negative post. So, there are 2 in total on the St. Louis site showing considerable apathy.

HSD school board is quite diverse, there are at least 3-4 black members and the same number of white. The school member was on record out of the 30 applicants, he was the one
they knew they had to go after", so maybe Bishop Pringle and others "talked" him up.

I agree with the accuracy of Bill's comments with one minor caveot- the school building were built on the premise enrollment would be rising, as more families would be attracted to Middletown schools. In reality, the opposite occurred, and it was not based upon the notion proficiency scores would rise, other than perhaps some slip of the tongue implication, a higher paid demographic would be moving into Middletown with new schools. The dropout rate was among the highest in the state and did not show improvement. The scores were mediocre and school teachers focused more effort on the state testing than education, as many would tell HSD teachers. He also stated to Ohio officials, both Toledo and Miami (state universities) had plans for providing free education to entice students to come to Middletown and graduate with a 3.0 or better, which was never a reality. Well, no one in HSD really cares, or the blog boards would be lighting up after probably Vet's post. I think this one was from Middletown:

Justin_Case  February 28, 2010 at 5:41 UTC

First off, if he really promised that proficiency scores would improve if all new elementary schools were built, then I blame the public, not Price, for passing that bond issue. Proficiency scores have no more to do with nice buildings than superintendents do. Proficiency scores lie at the feet of the students, parents, teachers and curriculum. Second, when it comes to discipline, I lay that at the feet of the parents. It is solely the job of the parent to get their child to school on time, prepared for the day, engaged in the process, and reinforce what the school is trying to do at home. Discipline begins at home! Also, because they are public schools, they are limited to what they can do in regards to discipline. It would be nice if the school could toss out the trouble makers like private and charter schools can, but that isn’t reality. Public schools have to take all comers, including special needs kids being streamlined. I am sorry you have a poor view of your previous Superintendent. He may be as awful as you say. But I would suggest that Superintendents can only do so much. I would also offer that maybe the district was having a hard time before he got there, so maybe you need to look at other variables before dismissing him entirely.     

HSD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 12:08pm

I also wondered the same thing you pointed out about the post.  I also have been surprised there have not been more people in HSD doing some research on Dr. Price. There are probably many in our area who are apathetic in regards to him coming here but they may change their tune if things don't go well.

There is one other article on the STL Today website that has some additional comments regarding the hiring:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/education/story/2D4EB11020048E0B862576D700047387?OpenDocument#tp_newCommentAnchor

Even though there are several more comments....I think a good number are from people in MSD posting on the STL Today website.

The board member who knew Price was 'the one they had to go after' did not mention that of the three finalists one withdrew and one took another offer.....so by default that left Price for the job.  The other candidates names were never released to the public and the whole hiring process was very hush, hush. I know a search firm was involved and am not sure if that was the reason for minimal information being made public.

Bottom line he is hired for whatever length of time his contract is in place for and we all have to hope for the best. I truly hope he ends up, at all odds. as being a good fit for our district and community. Time will tell. Best of luck in your district.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 6:50pm
HSD, as the last post on the St. Louis site is as follows, I think the information PACMAN provided is a summary of what was accomplished in Middletown.

As you stated, contracts have been signed, dotted, and negotiated. Cheers.

10) Comments
Inquiring March 1, 2010 9:55AM CST
Exactly why did he leave Middletown?...all I find is a reference to 'philosophical differences with the board'. To me its a big red flag when the board agrees to buy him out of his contract. Sounds serious. What has HSD gotten themselves into? Answers please.
HSD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 1:55pm
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 2:23pm
Nice gig. He makes $235,000, or about $110,000. more annually than in Middletown. I don't know many executives whom had less than stellar performance, terminated before the end of a contract, that get Mercedes car allowances and a salary almost 2X what they were making for underperforming. I guess Superintendants are just like politicians. They run horrible camapigns, lose an election and nd up making $100 Mm, aka Ala Gore, Sarah Palin, He had numerous interviews in Ohio where he had no success, and gets a salary which is probably higher than the best paying district in the state of Ohio, after not moving the bar forward in Middletown. The life of a public servant.    
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 2:45pm
$235,000 in salary????? What???? This guy created a cluster for us at the $123,000 we were paying him. What would substantiate this mega increase in the eyes of the Hazelwood people based on his performance here? Is this a standard salary for the St. Louis area for supers? Did the Hazelwood School Board check this guys credentials at all before making this decision?

If I were the Hazelwood taxpayer, I'd be livid about this decision. But, as many have said......it's their problem now....just let it go. You're correct.....just hard to fathom any logical thinking here, that's all.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 3:07pm
Really, Really?  You got what you wanted, HE IS GONE!!!!  You all need to get a life, because you have way too much time on your hands. The man has a family, maybe things will be different in St Louis. Just leave him alone and let him ride off in the sunset. I here carerbuilder has jobs for people with too much time on there hands! Geez   Confused
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 3:20pm
Thanks for the repeat post of Feb 28th above Smartman. We acknowledged that he is gone and it is their problem now. We are just reacting to the most recent news of the salary offered. It is surprising, wouldn't you agree? We will wait for your approval before posting on the Price situation in the future, since it seems to upset you that we are picking on Stevie. Were you a friend of his? Is there a reason why you constantly want to defend him?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 3:20pm
Smartman, I recall you were the consummate cheerleader on the Middletown Journal for levies and teachers. It takes a minute to review one's opinion, and offer an opinion. Glad you were the happy cheerleader for the MCSD, but your enthusiasm certainly doesn't qualify you as an expert on organizational behavior or scholastic evaluation. It takes a minute to post, hardly giving a lifetime on this subject. I have a suspicion you are a public employee, you seem awfully defensive.     
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 10:10pm
Once again you acclaro and vet you are boyth wrong. I an==m not a public employee. Yes I was one of Dr Price's friend and yes I am a supporter of the MCSD. That does not  mean I agreed with everything he said or did. We are friends that agree to disagree.

My point is, let him alone to get on with his life. ( Thanks for the reminder vet about my other post). You see I dont have time to keep track of all the posts,,,I have a life. Sorry you dont.

Dr Price is gone, why not channel all of you energy into supporting the new super? Oh wait a minute, he has not given you anything to bitch about!

You all say you are concerned about the schools and the community. Prove it!!!

As far as Dr Price goes, if it were one of you in his position, would like people chasing you around and not letting you move forward? I think not!!! 
acclaro, maybe I am a cheerleader for MSCD, but I have good reason. I have the opportunity to be associated with some very special kids. If you doubt what I am saying, contact ne and I will take you around them. Not all is doom and gloom in MSCD
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 10:53pm
Dr. Price's outrageous salary exemplifies the public sector's pay and perks which is simply out of hand. In today's economy, a top litigator Partner at a top firm would make the pay he is getting. The same for an executive, his salary is the equivalent of an SVP running a division of a Fortune 500. Its outrageous and entirely unjustified. Just like Middletown, laden with layers of overhead, Communication Directors, Finance Directors in every district, Assistant Superintendants. In Greece, the government today, pulled the stop on all public servants, freezing their pay (now the union is already started the strikes). 

If I performed in my Fortune 50 role as Dr. Price did, I'd be terminated, no year salary, no grand review, and no company would not thoroughly vet my previous performance. These superintendants spend tax payer money for consulting fees which tee them up for consulting work when they leave, so the firm can say, well, he used us when he was at Middletown.

I frankly pity HSD, not only in having a school board which obviously is insane, and did no vetting, making reliance entirely upon the search firm which probably also conducted Middletown's great search, but for getting leadership which begins with these unrealistic expectations that are not close to being met, and then moves on. That's my opinion, and its backed by results which speak for themselves.

As for the new superintendant, it speaks volumes. Dr. Price did not get a position in Ohio, in spite of intervieiwng for at least 5-6 I can recall. The same with Middletown. Both schools ended up with those outside the state and virtually the last man standing. That's unacceptable smartman.

This process and the salary are exactly what is wrong with the public sector today. This overwhelming sense of entitlement and I'm going to get mine, is bankrupting the country and the national school system is a failure, thanks entirely to the NEA and union. What saddens me smartman is you not only tolerate this sort of behavior, but you appalud it, and defend it. Subpar performance should never be rewarded or excused. Jack Welch should be named Secretary of Education, and the excuses would cease.       
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 7:23am
Just to show you that you are just "bumping your gums" and that you know nothing about me, Smartman, I have a full time job just as you do. I work around very smart research people up here at Wright-Patt doing work for the Air Force. Then, I go home to my other full time job taking care of my wife who is paralyzed from a stroke in October, until I stumble into bed around 10PM to get a few hours of shuteye before I get up to do it all over again the next day. As you can see, I "have a life". A full one with limited time to myself. You should try it sometime- it ain't that much fun nowadays.

As to the reminder about your post and you "not having time to keep track of all of them"......I simply used the scroll wheel on the mouse and .....voila......scrolled up a few posts and ......imagine that.....there it was! Your post. How about that!

Channel all our energy to the new super? Be glad to. Glad he's here. Will support him 100% UNTIL or UNLESS he demonstrates that he is a Price clone in his ideas. Then, the hammer comes out. And why wouldn't it? Haven't we had enough misery in this school system the last 20 years? And why is it, that we keep doing the same failed things over and over again with each new super candidate? If you find out that it hurts when you hit your big toe with the hammer, most would stop when they felt pain, wouldn't they? Not this school system. The ones running it keep saying "maybe if I hit my toe the next time, it won't hurt" Nothing ever changes even though there is ample evidence that the current operation isn't working.

"Not all is doom and gloom in MCSD". Perhaps, but for every success story you can cite, we can cite two or three problem areas that have been identified years ago as problem areas, but have been ignored through many administrations.

"You all say you are concerned about the schools and the community. Prove it!!!" Been to Council meetings. Spoke during citizen comments. Been on a committee for the roads. Written Letters To The Editor, Been to school board meetings, vote every election, E-Mailed Councilmembers, participate in sites such as this, attend some forums when time allows. Was born here 61 years ago. Could have located anywhere in the area in 2005 when we returned from Arizona. Came back to Middletown- my hometown that I care about. Yeah, Smartman, I give a crap about my hometown and it's killing me watching what they're doing to it. I want most of them out of here before they totally destroy what little is left- both the town and the schools.

You have a good day now, you hear?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 10:59am
Price Almost gets a Double

No, not double dipping, double the salary he had as the Middletown, Ohio School Superintendent. Middletown Schools paid Dr. Price, $123,00 per year, he now will make $235,000 in Hazelwood.

The Hazelwood School Board on Tuesday evening officially hired Steve Price as superintendent for a three-year contract with an annual salary of $235,000. Source: Stltoday.com

This is a surprise since Middletown School Board forced his resignation. As one poster put it, "We had the lowest proficiency test scores in the SW Ohio area for the 7 years he was here. We also had discipline problems and admin./teacher relationship issues. It finally caught up with Price."
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 8:01pm
I guess all you CEO Bonus supports will now have to say the Price was worth 235k. Right?

I guess that makes him one of best, right?

All the criticism of him here was unfounded, right?

plum8up View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plum8up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2010 at 12:37am
im gonna have to go with smartman.was steve price perfect heck no!but he is a human being, with a family, and in his mind he truely believed he was doing what was best for the students in the middletown school district. we can hope he learned from his experence in middletown and he can improve and get on with his life.and we can all move on
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2010 at 9:09am
My whole point is that there is no accountability for poor performance any more. Even in the Private sector.

Look at the CEOs now a days. A CEO can run a Company into the Ground an will still get a big Bonus because "it would have worse without His great Leadership". I actually saw that quote a few years ago about an under performing CEO who got a huge Payday.

I don't remember the details,however.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic