FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legislation Item 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legislation Item 5
    Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 12:07am
From the Middletown City Council Agenda   Tuesday 3/16/2010: 

ORDINANCE NO. O2010-23

AN ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING THE CITY MANAGER TO ENTER INTO A

CONTRACT OR CONTRACTS TO ACQUIRE AND DISPOSE OF CERTAIN REAL

PROPERTY LOCATED AT 1607 CENTRAL AVENUE IN EXCHANGE FOR THE

ACQUISITION OF 1316 VAIL DRIVE AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

WHEREAS, the City Council desires to demolish the structure located at

1316 Vail Drive in conjunction with another demolition project of properties located

on Central Avenue adjacent to 1316 Vail Drive; and

WHEREAS, the structure at 1316 Vail Drive presently houses Middletown

Custom Cabinet Co., and in order to demolish said structure, the City needs to

relocate that business; and

WHEREAS, the structure on certain real property located at 1607 Central

Avenue would be suitable for the relocation of Middletown Custom Cabinet Co., and

is available for purchase; and

WHEREAS, the City is willing to purchase the property located at 1607

Central Avenue and exchange it for the property located at 1316 Vail Drive, and the

owners of both properties have agreed to this exchange in principle

Now...1607 Central was the former home of the Middletown Antique Mall.
  I posted about their closing and the possible sale back on 4/21/09.

My question is.........Whats Changed ?
Did Marty change his mind or develop amnesia ]

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 12:19am
Want to hear something even more disturbing?

This building was at auction several weeks ago. It sold for $50,000. According to Butler County Property Tax Records, the sale date was 2/19/2010.

The city is paying $95,000.

I don't think Marty is driving the bus on this one. My guess it's Mr. Robinette.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 12:35am
Yeah, I saw that on the BC website.
If the $95,000 includes moving costs, we're in the wrong business!!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 1:03am
Hey...whatsamattayou???
Don't ya know that the city can't let a little thing like an existing, on-going business stand in the way of its demolition plans??  And remember, this is part of the brand-spanking NEW plan for downtown: something about turning it into a quaint, olde tyme, 1900's village. 

Now that's something that has never been tried before!!!

And let me think...didn't council just last year act on Marty's plan to authorize new "Olde Tyme" facades for all of the buildings down that way--all on the taxpayers' tab, of course???

So, what will the ACTUAL, TOTAL tab to the taxpayers for all of this be???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 1:05am
Who was the buyer at auction?  Who is the seller to the city?
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 3:08am
I just read the workbook for the March 16 Council meeting.  This whole EMERGENCY ordinance smells fishy!!!

The BOTTOM line of this whole deal???
One savvy flipper makes $45,000 profit on a $50,000 purchase at auction, after only a few weeks.
One existing business gets a FREE, much larger building in a better location.
The citizens of Middletown get one small abandon building, lose one new business to a neighboring community, and spend $95,000 PLUS the cost of demolishing the old building!!

This "emergency" seems to be a "rush this through before someone figures out who did what to whom" deal.

JOSH and AJ:  This is one that does NOT need to be an emergency...and MORE INFO is needed!!!
  • WHY did Kohler DIS-ALLOW an allowable use to a prospective new business last April, but is promoting a similar use now???
  • Who bought the Central Ave property at auction, who is selling it to the city, and has anyone owned it in between???
  • WHY is the city involved in this transaction???  Aren't the two property owners competent adults???  Can't they handle their own affairs???
  • WHY do we keep seeing the City dis-avowing ORC Section 721 ???  Isn't ORC Section 721 made specifically because of situations like this???  ORC 721 is a "general law of the state of Ohio" enacted specifically to prevent fraud in real estate transactions involving city governments!!!  It Is NOT "trumped" by our City Charter!!!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 9:13am
You can read the entire agenda for the city council meeting here

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 9:35am
Mr. Laubach & A. J. -

Will the City of Middletown siphon-off even more HUD NEIGHBORHOOD STABILIZATION PROGRAM funds for this downtown commercial acquisition/demolition deal??  We eagerly look forward to your probing questions at tomorrow's City Council meeting.

Mike -

Thanks once again for your probing questions regarding this interesting real estate deal.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 11:24am
Who brokered this deal ? Was a real estate agent/office involved ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:40pm
If you have success against top amateurs, then you should explore your professional options. At this point, you will need sponsorship support, because breaking into professional golf is very expensive(ishiner). The first professional tier features various mini-tours, with discount golf clubs events around the country at which you put up an entry fee and play for the pot.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:50am
I understand there are different parts of the budget...but the City has money to purchase these 2 buildings when we can't afford enough firefighters and police officers?  For real?  This is where our priorities lie?  Shuffle money from our street funds to buying businesses to tear down? 

From what I believe Diver bought the building Mike.  Is or has his supply store going out of business?  I think in one of the previous plans you discussed on here it shows his building (Diver's) as greenspace. Wonder if there are more dealings going on in this case...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 8:36am
soleadd13- what the he-- does your post have to do with the subject matter? Get off and stop gumming up the works bud.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 8:42am
None of this "swapping of properties" and real estate transactions is true. We're simply "misguided and mis-interpreting" their intentions. Remember, our city leaders said years ago that they are not in the real estate/property ownership business. Billy Becker, on several occasions, has said it is a bad idea. Yeah, right! Oh, what liars they are.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 10:24am
Vet - I'm ashamed of you !! Calling city hall liars ! Now you know none of this is going on. It's hear-say and no one on council or in the hall knows anything about this deal.

It's those people on that MUSA board that stirs up trouble and starts rumors !! As soon as that "re-education camp" is constructed they'll all be sent there !! We must put a stop to dissent & the falsifiers of our great community and bring everyone in line with our idealogy of secret open government and to follow our inept inefficient inert inexorable leaders who will lead us through the next great decade !! Clap
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:42pm
But.....but.....Hermes... I like to stir up trouble and start rumors. What will we do on this site, if they take that away from us? Oh, and as to their "re-education camp" and being sent there.....got to get past the guns first if they want the old Vetter. I was wrong when I called them liars. I apologize. Please allow me to rephrase my original statement. They are liars and 's !
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 3:55am

Vet
Have you noticed the old John Ross Store restoration downtown?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 7:37am
No Vivian, haven't been downtown in at least 2 months. Pretty much locked into a routine of going to work and taking care of the wife every day. Boring, but necessary routine. What's going in John Ross?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 6:24pm

Vet

It seems the City is restoring the old John Ross building for a new Art Center.
Question: Are they using the 2 million left in the downtown funds for this project?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" ="Msonormal"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'">Vet

It seems the City is restoring the old John Ross building for a new Art Center </SPAN>

How do you know it's the city doing the work? I mean they gained control of the Property, but that doesn't mean they are doing or paying for the work that's being done.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 12:41am
swohio:
The city is ALWAYS doing stuff like this!!!
They always cry about going broke.  They never have money for infrastructure or public safety.

But they ALWAYS seem to find money to do this kind of stuff for their friends (and a little always seems to get "lost" along the way, doesn't it Russ???)
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 6:28am
You know, IMO there is a bit of irony in all of this. On one hand, we have the city leaders bringing in as much Section 8/low income as they possibly can to operate the city in lieu of creating revenue from jobs/company taxes. And, on the other hand, we have the same city leaders promoting cultural events such as an "Arts District/Center" in the downtown area with the intention of attracting "upscale-wine and cheese people"-aka people who appreciate "the finer things in life". Seems to me, given a stereotypical scenario, that the two philosophies clash a bit, don't they? Aren't they more or less polar opposite themes for the city? Don't know too many government assisted programs that have "culturally elite" people participating, do you???? I'm confused.....do they want the city to be like the "hills of eastern Kentucky and Appalachia or do they want the city to move in a more "upscale" direction? Quite a difference here.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 8:13am

swohio75
Hmmm...If the City owns the building why would someone else be paying for the restoration? Since you seem to be in the know please tell us who is footing the bill for the restoration?

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 9:43am
Vet - Excellent points Vet ! Maybe the artsy thing is nothing more than a facade to make everything look good ? Window dressing ?

I take offense Vet to your statement about "upscale wine & cheese people", Grandpa made the best wine I ever drank from a mason jar and I don't consider myself "upscale". LOL
(We never ate cheese with our wine, just a bologna sandwich LOL
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 9:49am

VM and MP –

Yes, the building is now in city possession per BC Auditor’s office with an effective date of April 13, 2010.  There is no purchase price so one can assume they didn’t pay for it.

Now I don’t recall any legislation at past City Council meetings authorizing the expenditure(s) of remodeling this property.  Do you?   I am sure MP reads each meeting’s packet very thoroughly.  Such expense would require a piece of legislation authorizing work, no?  Tax credits?  Façade improvement grants?  Same thing. No legislation at this point.  So we can assume no local (i.e. Middletown) tax dollars have been used at this point. 

It’s my understanding that this is the desired site for the much-talked about Pendleton Arts Center.  I do not know who is paying for the remodel and work.  

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:38am
swohio--it is my un-official understanding that the city is paying for this re-furbishing possibly out of an old mall or roof removal fund. This may or may not be true. Still--more public funds to benefit a ptivate business organization? So much for the city being broke. lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic