FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are we getting our Monies worth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 9:38pm

stewie, you must have a death wish! Shocked

transplant View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 11:12pm
After reading these posts the wages may be high and unrealistic in this economy but the unions are not about to give much back given the typical union mentality of entitlements.  When times were good past administrations and commissions gave too high of increases that now must be accounted for.  From what some have said the state doesn't help cities while negotiating with unions.  Do you penalize employees not in unions (typically senior level top staff with advanced educational degrees) who have worked hard to achieve their current positions?    
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 7:55am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Fair enough Marianne. Further discussion is futile.

I'm not sure about further discussion being futile, but I'm not going to give you my professional work history just because you say I need to do in order to have credibility.    You need to read more of acclaro's posts; he likes sharing that stuff.

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 8:01am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Hmmm....first it was Ms. Andrews, and now Marianne, all who...

No, I haven't bitten the dust, just stated that my personal information doesn't need to be paraded on a message board with a group of strangers just because someone says I need to demonstrate my "work history diversity".

My statement that you can't really evaluate the "fairness" of MJ's list of salaries without knowing their context still stands. I don't see those lists as particularly useful.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 8:15am
It's alright, Marianne, I understand your position and don't want to irritate you any further. You seem very sensitive concerning your work history. No need to elaborate. Thank you.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 8:25am
Originally posted by transplant transplant wrote:

After reading these posts the wages may be high and unrealistic in this economy but the unions are not about to give much back given the typical union mentality of entitlements.  When times were good past administrations and commissions gave too high of increases that now must be accounted for.  From what some have said the state doesn't help cities while negotiating with unions.  Do you penalize employees not in unions (typically senior level top staff with advanced educational degrees) who have worked hard to achieve their current positions?    

Transplant you are right about Unions and the entitlement mentality that they have.  It is not just past administrations that have caused the problems, the current Admin. just past a Police Contract with the standard 3% basically a year raise for the next 3 years costing about $600,000.00 over the next 3 years.  They will most likely do the same thing with the Fire Dept. Until the city starts laying off those specific groups to pay for these increases which are uncalled for in this time of economic downturn the problem will continue.  The citizens must also do their part and vote no on the upcoming Public Safety levy.

The city just penalized employees not in Unions to pay for the raises of the ones in Unions, what 7 people got laid off.  I haven't really questioned senior management as to what they make, although if I were Gilleland I think i would have forgone the $10k increase. or at the least deferred it for now, even though my contract called for it I am sure.  I question the need for 5 Deputy Chiefs in the Fire Dept. and 8 Lieutenants.  Cutting 5 of those positions would save $500,000.00+/- a year.  Or simply replacing them with just Fire Fighters would probably save at least $150,000.00+/- a year.  I am not seeing the need for that much Brass at the top.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

It's alright, Marianne, I understand your position and don't want to irritate you any further. You seem very sensitive concerning your work history. No need to elaborate. Thank you.

Yeah, that's it. Haha.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 9:10am
To correct Mariane's misstatement as if fact, I have provided a few compnaies I have had the pelasure of working with some general background on experince. That is to lend some crdibility to comparison to salry ranges for the privte sector from one whom work with VP's of HR weekly, uses Hay Points, and knows in a large firm like Ernst & Young, or a big 4 consultancy, the EA would support about 7 Partners (shared resource), and make maybe $55,000. in a prime market like NYC, where the COL is much higher than Middletown.

Now, anyone who believes these pay scales are not inflated, well, I benechamrk on the Fortune 100's. Since 911, pay for salary has drastically been cut back. An SVP will make about $150 KK as I have said earlier, with much of the pay made up by performance bonus including SLA (Service Level Agreement) performance. How well do you thimg the city would do on a survey or poll for "customer satisfaction"? They would be below 50% I believe.

This has reached the point you either are a city employee and think you ar entitled, or you are a realist and know these pay scales keep going up even during bad times, whil most private sector positions are frozen and tied to performance achievement.      
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 10:08am

acclaro - With all due respect the things you refer to are companies who produce and answer only to stock holders & board directors, Middeltown is not a company and does not produce a product or service from which it can make a profit to sustain itself. The city relies on tax payers, the salaries of city employees come from the tax payer so to mention companies or comparing operations is mute. (or perhaps I missed your point)

stewieboy - You say the police & fire pay includes OT...well either that is way to much OT or the hourly pay is to high. Now while I won't debate the OT issue because I know the PD does in fact work a lot of OT plus officers get extra for equipment, uniforms, etc, etc with that being the case then the base pay is still to high for a city the size of Middeltown. Base pay could be $36 K and with OT an officer could still live fine, not as good as $76 K but they would survive. 

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 11:05am
Hermes I beg to differ with you.  The city does produce services:

It has a water service, Water Dept.
It has a Security Service, Police Dept.
It has an Emergency Medical Service, Fire Dept.
It has a Fire Service, Fire Dept.
It has a Jail Service
It runs a Garbage Service, farmed out to Rumpke
It has a Public Works Service.

These are all services which all cities run and provide to the Taxpayers, for which the taxpayers pay a portion of the fee to operate them.

Now the fact that Middletown Admin and City Council has:

Not repaired the infrastructure
Got itself into a situation of excessive section 8 and public housing
Has a poor performing school system by state standards
Has gotten itself into a situation where they are financially strapped.
Having run off many businesses due to not repairing the infrastructure, letting poverty get out of hand.
Having run off much of the Middle Class by it's above decisions
Has basically been part of the reason for the decline in Real estate values and the inability for many to sell their homes.

Is not the fault of the Taxpayer or the consumer of their services the city provides that the above has occurred and now they have themselves ina financial mess.  The Citizens however are the ones that suffer for the current situation.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 11:16am
Hermes, you missed the point. I said an executive at a Fortune 500 has more at risk on earning bonuses than a public servant that has no measures of performance in place to "grade" achievement. Are you suggesting Gilleland actually has produced results which dictate a 10.5 KK raise? And if so, for what?

This is from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics from 2009 December for all states, al cities, large and small (San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago, New York City, Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston). If this doesn't convince you, many have failed Math 101 (or a relative of any of the three city commisioners in Butler Cty.
Table 4. Median annual salary for selected executive and managerial occupations in local government, July 2008

Occupation

Salary

City manager/Chief administrative officer

$94,992

Assistant chief administrative officer

Engineer

Information services director

Fire chief

Chief financial officer

Human resources director

Human services director

Economic development director

Parks and recreation director

Public works director

Health officer

Purchasing director

Chief librarian

Chief law enforcement official

Clerk

Treasurer

Chief elected official

Table 4. Median annual salary for selected executive and managerial occupations in local government, July 2008

Occupation

Salary

$94,992

Engineer

Fire chief

Chief financial officer

Human resources director

Human services director

Public works director

Health officer

Purchasing director

Chief librarian

Clerk

Treasurer

Chief elected official

SOURCE: International City/County Management Association

Occupation

Salary

$94,992

Engineer

Fire chief

Chief financial officer

Human resources director

Human services director

Public works director

Health officer

Purchasing director

Chief librarian

Clerk

Treasurer

Chief elected official

SOURCE: International City/County Management Association

Occupation

Salary

$94,992

Engineer

Fire chief

Chief financial officer

Human resources director

Human services director

Public works director

Health officer

Purchasing director

Chief librarian

Clerk

Treasurer

Chief elected official

Occupation

Salary

$94,992

Engineer

Fire chief

Chief financial officer

Human resources director

Human services director

Public works director

Health officer

Purchasing director

Chief librarian

Clerk

Treasurer

Chief elected official

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by I also see that ashkicker who normally chimes in on these issues hasn't.  Still wondering what all that Brass at the Fire Dept. is needed for? [/QUOTE I also see that ashkicker who normally chimes in on these issues hasn't.  Still wondering what all that Brass at the Fire Dept. is needed for? [/QUOTE wrote:

I feel like I'm back in grade school and have been called out on the playgr

I feel like I'm back in grade school and have been called out on the playground!

Where do I start..........................................

The "Brass" --

One Chief -- Botts
Three Deputy Chiefs -- Dominy, Lolli & Snively
Five Captains -- Adams, Day, Justice, Spaulding & Wissemeier
Eleven Lieutenants -- Bevenger, Blake, Bronnenberg, Cobb, Curry, Harvey, Hoerst, Ludwig, Oliver, Rose & Von Bargen
Fifty-five Fire Fighters

Why is it "needed?"

Three platoons which consists of one D/C, an officer for each of the four stations with a fire truck plus one "float" officer.

First Platoon -- D/C, Capt @ Station 81, Lts @ HQ, Stations 82 & 84 plus one "float" Lt
Second Platoon -- D/C, Capt @ Station 82, Lts @ HQ, Stations 81 & 84 plus one "float" Lt
Third Platoon -- D/C, Capts @ HQ & Station 84, Lts @ Stations 81 & 82 plus one "float" Lt

I don't know how the "Brass" numbers were determined but imagine someone counted the names in the Journal's public employee payroll list.  Since we had two D/Cs retire during 2009, both they and their promoted counterparts were listed as D/Cs, hence the incorrect number five was cited. 

I understand the poster's frustrations but ple-e-e-e-e-e-ease research your information before you post.  Some one who doesn't read this post may go away still believing your incorrect numbers.

Spider,

Yes, I can retire with 25 years of service as long as I am 48 years old.  How many older police and fire fighters do you see?  This is a young man's game, as it should be.  When I retire, I have to pay for my health care before I am eligible for Medicaid/care, currently running around $1000/month for retiree and spouse.  As a fire fighter I do not pay into Social Security, however, working a part time job I would pay into Social Security.  Once retired, I am told if I draw Social Security, my fire fighter pension is reduced by the same amount.  So, I pay into a system that I will not benefit from.  Before this board goes absolutely crazy, I am not whining and complaining about my job/benefits, only stating facts.

One more thing,

The City Council decides how much money will be put towards my health care benefits.  The City's health care committee then decides the best way to use that money.  Some posters here seem to believe the health care committee decides everthing about my health care including how much the city spends.

Thats all for now.

Ashkicker
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 2:50pm
acclaro - I did miss your point but you cleared it up for me in the above post,thanks.

By NO MEANS do I believe that Gilleland has earned her pay !!! If I had any control over it her pay would be the first cut made !! See my other post where I state,IMO, she is over paid by at least $50 k. And no I don't agree with a $10-$11 K pay raise for her either.

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 5:06pm
thanx for the reply, ash.
In no way do I disagree with what you have said, and I respect all of the fire crew, though sometimes I wonder(in all areas) if job titles/promotions have more to do with pay rate than job performance.
My only point being the long-range expense gorilla that seems destined to collapse from it's own weight.
Public safety-municipal works-administration-schools from kindergarten to universities--government workers/politicians from local to federal.

Tell me ash, if you don't mind---how do you see this playing out?
How strong is the public employee concern that the long-range expense cannot be sustained?

Hey--no issue with anyone taking what is offered.
Issue with politicians allowing it to continue.

Disappointed with myself for not entering a govt.workforce immediately after high school graduation.
The grass is always greener I guess--and I can count my blessings as being very fortunate.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 5:59pm
AshKicker I believe that most of the discussion on this Board concerning Health Care was not how much the City Spends, but what employees contribute to their health care in the form of amount paid out of their checks.  The last time I checked for the Police Dept., which was a while ago, it was 7% far below what the average worker pays now a days.

As far as the Brass Count you have more Brass than Wasteful actually counted by using the salary list.LOL
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 10:46pm
Spider,

Even in the small brain of this fire fighter, I realize a cash cow must have a lush green (Money) field to eat from to maintain it's weight.

That being said, reduction in Middletown's fire department would be devastating to our citizens.  Please, do not get me wrong, I am not trying to scare people for the sake of my benefits.  With this economy, some people seem to be using the fire department as their private home health care.  I beleive this mentality is the reason the Chief stated a new health care facility would help reduce our run volume.  It seems like a weekly event anymore that we have 5 to 6 squad runs at the same time.  That type of event requires us to call in Monroe and Franklin.

It is MY belief that fire fighters would take a pay cut or freeze before layoffs happen.  I realize many people on the board view fire fighters, or any public employee, as greedy people.  We do care about the citizens in this town and do work to protect them.

As far as my numbers being higher than wasted cited in relation to FD "brass", D/Cs, being the highest paid, needed a truthful number posted.  As far as having more Lts than wasted noted, I make an honest attempt to give all the facts, not just the ones that make us look good.

Ashkicker
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 8:08am
come on Ash--in no way did I imply any laxck of smarts with you or anyone else(please don't put words in my mouth or speak for me). I under-estimated the total # of fire/emergency employees. I totally/emphatically agree that the public seriously abuses this dept. for their non-emergency health care. The fact that you have to respond with an overkill of manpower/firepower is not lost either.

Still--put the dept.heads together and please give their explanation of how the public can adequately fund the retirement/benefit package down the road. This beast is NOT going away--only getting larger, especially when you factor in un-employment rise and no real new jobs or business profits on the horizon. This is a major issue that much be addressed. We cannot continue to joyride down the road at 90mph off the top of the mountain when the road($$$) abruptly ends.
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 8:10am
ashkicker The firefighters were ask to take a freeze but did not,thats the way the union works.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 11:30am
Lets face it, the city council is like a Board of Directors at NCR, who the CEO hand-picked those whom he knew when he was at Cisco. What happened? He was able to commute from New York, never moved, hated Dayton, and had no ties to it, and shut it down, to move to a more upscale area in Georgia than being tied to the rust belt.

City council is the same. These people make peanuts, but like the feeling of power of doing something civic, or maybe even getting their business some additionl visibility. The outcome is no oversight, rubber staming virtually everything that is requested on emergnecy legislation, and finding loopholes to make sure the Beast is always taken care of.

In spite of what Ashkicker staes, or anyone in the police epartment, the salaries and overtime, + benefits, are just overly high for a city with so much poverty and on its size. In both Texas, Michigan, and North Carolina, the very highest end of a city manager's position is about $125,000., and in Michigan, its 100,000.

So, Ashkicker is a norml human, like others who want to protect what they have, state they are indispensible, how many runs are made, et al. In reality, I bet you could evaluate the police and fire departments, and you'd see an increase in employees when the population has remained the same for many years. Its only natural they want it to grow, that's how they get promotions, gt to the higher pay grades, get more for retirement. There is no one at city council going to stop this, why would they? I've said it before. You have Mr. Mulligan-Dad retired from water department. Mr. Marconi, no loner on council but on zoning Commission, knows when he prime development is coming and going (and profited accordingly).

The only way to get hired is through nepotism- just like Mr. Newlin's son, and Mr. Jeffries daughter. The power is all within the city, and these outlandish payscales and perks won't change. As for the fire department being called, I live in a cul de sac where about twice a month two massive fire trucks appear when an elderly man or woman has a health problem. They come, check out the situtaion, and then they are gone. Myabe the citizen should be charged about $1,000. for these runs, but these are not life and death scenarios, aand I'd say 35% of the calls, maybe more, are not emergencies requiring hospitalization.

Term limits should be put in place in both city council and school board. There is no justification for Ms. O'Neil to be on the board > 15 years, and several ran unopposed, including Ms. Andrews---what's their motivation?   

This is the danger and the waste which has been an outcome of the system in Middletown. Council members are exactly like the stacked NCR board Bill Nuti built, and with the same outcome. They don't care what city leadership does, they work for them. The resultant is these runaway salaries, benefits, and then nonsense levies wanting more, while sevices are taken away and overhead continues.

There should be a mayor making a decent living helping drive development, than a department pulling down $250KK being the mouthpiece for Neyer. The city manager's income should be cut, and a mayor and manager sharing the role. Counil members need to be more than sons of former employees, or retirees filling their time. And the young bucks should not be given high fives for stating the oobvious---too mch emergency legislation---and the constituents jump up and down thinking, wow, we're making real headway here now, this vote was put on hold for two weeks.

The ship is going down, unless you are the tenured employees in city hall. Sorry, Ashkicker, your numbers, span of control, and other quantitative figures just aren't cutting it anymore, the public safety nonsense just isn't going to get a levy passed in spite of the nursing homes and retirees being the easy target for votes.

For a change Middletownians, THINK.      
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 12:42pm

In both Texas, Michigan, and North Carolina, the very highest end of a city manager's position is about $125,000., and in Michigan, its 100,000.

Perhaps acclaro isn't so clear in his posts, so I may be misreading what he wrote, but his statement regarding the "very highest end of a city manager's position is about $125,000" in Texas is wrong.

http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/search/title/?q=city%20manager

Employee Title Search : "city manager"
Name     Agency     Title     Salary
Sheryl L. Sculley     San Antonio     City Manager     $315,000
Mary Suhm     Dallas     City Manager's Office     $278,460
Thomas Muehlenbeck     Plano     City Manager     $270,969
Tomas Gonzalez     Irving     City Manager     $246,384
Marc Ott     Austin     City Manager     $242,008
William E Dollar     Garland     City Manager     $229,500
Taylor Alan M     Amarillo     City Manager     $228,820
Fisseler Dale A     Fort Worth     City Manager     $226,595
LEE ANN DUMBAULD     Lubbock     City Manager     $225,002
Joyce Ann Wilson     El Paso     City Manager     $216,744
Ryan Evans     Dallas     City Manager's Office     $204,117
Pasquale Digiovanni     San Antonio     Deputy City Manager     $193,445
Arthur Rodriguez     San Antonio     Deputy City Manager     $191,602
Martin E Glenn     Garland     Deputy City Manager     $187,864
Michael Mcdonald     Austin     Assistant City Manager     $185,848
Humberto Lumbreras     Austin     Assistant City Manager     $185,848
Robert Goode     Austin     Assistant City Manager     $185,848
Rudy Garza     Austin     Assistant City Manager     $185,848
Sue Edwards     Austin     Assistant City Manager     $185,848
Bruce Glasscock     Plano     Deputy City Manager     $178,001
J Jordan     Dallas     City Manager's Office     $177,085
Montgomery Karen Lynne     Fort Worth     Assistant City Manager     $176,134
Arthur Gonzalez     Dallas     City Manager's Office     $175,500
Angel R. Escobar     Corpus Christi     City Manager     $172,708
Forest Turner     Dallas     City Manager's Office     $172,220
Atkinson William J     Amarillo     Deputy City Manager     $172,000
Frank Turner     Plano     Deputy City Manager     $171,221
Costa Fernando     Fort Worth     Assistant City Manager     $169,957
Higgins Thomas M     Fort Worth     Assistant City Manager     $169,957
Daniels Charles W     Fort Worth     Assistant City Manager     $169,957
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 3:04pm

Your figures are grossly exaggerated, and the ave medium physician in the nation Marianne makes < than $150,000 annually nationally. Its obvious when you factor in the fact Middletown is a Mansfield, or Youngstown comparison riddled with poverty, these six figure incomes are outlandish. If you wish to pay them, please start an endowment---taxpayers are already being screwed by Butler Cty taxes and the City of Middletown's steep decline. The above is medium income in all 50 states amortized with medium city manager income.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 3:06pm
Marianne your comparison is out of kilter also you are comparing Dallas to Middletown.....San Antonio to Middletown.......Fort Worth to Middletown.  Lets do Like the BOE likes to do and compare like demographicsLOL at least.

Declining Population
Low Income
High Poverty Rate
A Section 8 Voucher program at 1 voucher for every 29 residents.  Now this one I have looked from California to Maine to Florida, and of course Marianne I haven't checked every program in the USA before you start in and I could find no Housing program with this ratio of Section 8 vouchers to residents.
Declining tax revenue
High Unemployment, doubt you will find that in Texas.  Texas is one of, if not the only states growing.

The point is when you add up all of these issues and the ones not listed Middletown can not afford the employee salaries and benefits that it is paying.  You can live in denial and say this is what the Jones' are paying but that is immaterial to Middletown's situation currently.  If all was well and prosperous we wouldn't even be having this discussion but it isn't and there does not appear to be any fix for Middletown in the foreseeable future, at least not under the current Leadership. 

I
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Marianne your comparison is out of kilter also you are comparing Dallas to Middletown.....San Antonio to Middletown.......Fort Worth to Middletown.  Lets do Like the BOE likes to do and compare like demographicsLOL at least.

Declining Population

Low Income

High Poverty Rate

A Section 8 Voucher program at 1 voucher for every 29 residents.  Now this one I have looked from California to Maine to Florida, and of course Marianne I haven't checked every program in the USA before you start in and I could find no Housing program with this ratio of Section 8 vouchers to residents.

Declining tax revenue

High Unemployment, doubt you will find that in Texas.  Texas is one of, if not the only states growing.

The point is when you add up all of these issues and the ones not listed Middletown can not afford the employee salaries and benefits that it is paying.  You can live in denial and say this is what the Jones' are paying but that is immaterial to Middletown's situation currently.  If all was well and prosperous we wouldn't even be having this discussion but it isn't and there does not appear to be any fix for Middletown in the foreseeable future, at least not under the current Leadership. 

I

Pacman, Please reread my post: I was correcting acclaro's statement that the highest a city manager makes in Texas is $125,000. I was not comparing figures, just offering some facts to counter an erroneous claim. That's it.

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 4:34pm

Your figures are grossly exaggerated, and the ave medium physician in the nation Marianne makes < than $150,000 annually nationally.

Your posts are making less sense to me the more I read them. Maybe you should change your handle?

You made a claim about what city managers in Texas made that seemed wildly inaccurate. I provided facts that show your statement was incorrect. Pretty basic stuff. That's all there was to my post: correcting an error. :)

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2010 at 6:13pm
Perhaps you choose to internalize what you desire to believe? You are beginning to sound very comparable to Ms. Andrews, always wanting to attempt to be the smartest in the room Mariane. I just provided you with a 2009 bar graph which provided the medium income range for a city manager in the state of Texas. It also seems to be your ploy Marianne, to get off topic, try to change the focus, and then throw nonsensical statements out there for public digestion.

Marianne, I believe 9 out of 10 Americans would agree city managers in California make more than those in Ohio. I believe 9 out of 10 Americans know a city manager in a city that has a 1,,000,000 residents makes more annually than one in a city of 50,000.

Pickerington fired its previous city manager and is paying between 90K-100K as it concludes its present search. That's where JG came from, so she is 30% higher. I look forward to your endowment Marianne as I am certain future levies will be failing. Between Middletown and Butler Cty, not all citizens are so willing to accept mediocrity with high pay. Those days have ended.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic