FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Tax Increase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 8:08pm
Thank you for the feedback Smartman.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 8:55pm

"Invest in Tomorrow"...is that like the sign in the store window that said "Free Beer Tomorrow"?  a tomorrow that never comes?  LOL

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 10:11pm
Whatever Bill,,,,you are so funny,,,,NOTThumbs%20Down
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 9:38am
Vet, yes, I was out both Saturday and Sunday going door to door reminding people to vote and asking for support of the school levy. Sunday, my kids asked to help.  Smartman is correct, the flyers were paid for by the Invest in Tomorrow Committee, funded by private donations.

Re the teachers union agreeing to a wage freeze, you ask if the board is going to protect the taxpayers. Yeah. do you think the teachers union volunteered to a freeze without being asked??? One year gives us time to work on incorporating student results into teacher (and admin) evaluations and pay in some way as required by the Race to the Top initiative.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 11:24am
Good news Ms. Andrew concerning the protection of the taxpayers. On behalf of us overburdened property owners, I thank you and the board for the representation on this specific event. I would think that there will be union resistance at the thought of tying performance to pay. This will take some "getting use to" from the union as they're use to receiving an increase with performance not being an issue. This is a start in the right direction for your board, Ms. Andrew. We will be paying attention to the track record you establish in your "taxpayer protection plan". Right now- for your efforts.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 4:19pm
Ms.Andrews:
Thank you for the opportunity to be involved with the levy committee.
It was a pleasure to meet the staff involved and yourself.
I hope that my thinking was helpful in some small way.

Thank you very much for contributing to this forum by answering ?s and supplying valuable insight and information.

Hopefully I have made a few people motivated to pass this issue.
I hope all reading this will vote for this issue, and that everyone reading this votes on all issues.

Good luck tomorrow night!
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 10:04pm
Spiderjohn, thank you for participating on the levy committee. We do feel that it is helpful to have input from a variety of different segments of the community. When everyone on a committee thinks the same, that is not productive. 

This board is trying to reach out to the community to achieve a wider level of participation in our working committees (finance, facilities, curriculum, communications/marketing, technology). If you (or anyone else posting or lurking here) is interested in serving on these committees that advise the board, contact Debbie Alberico.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 6:43am
Today is "starve the beast day" at the polls. We will be voting no on any and all issues and voting for anyone but the incumbants on all races. Isn't it time to force some changes from the failed ways that have been used for so long. Let's throw out the trash that causes business as usual. Could today be the start in a new direction? You decide....is it going to be more of the same old people, performance and programs or are you ready for something different?
sportsnut View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sportsnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2010 at 8:53pm
http://www.butlercountyelections.org/liveresults/data/results.htm

MIDDLETOWN CITY SCHL ISSUE 5          
Total
Number of Precincts          37     
Precincts Reporting          37     100.0 %
Total Votes          709     
FOR THE TAX LEVY          384     54.16%
AGAINST THE TAX LEVY          325     45.84%
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 7:27am
Congratulations to Ms. Andrew, the Spider and other school levy supporters on their victory. You convinced the few voters that there were and won your prize.

I am totally amazed at the general public on their ability to reason and use logic on this. The data to date, presents an unsuccessful school district in a high tax area, spending a very high cost per pupil to produce, IN GENERAL---IN GENERAL (for all those who want to mis-read this) an inferior product(yes- there are exceptions) in the form of the poorly educated student.(when compared to other districts) Amazing!!! All of this evidence, and the voters opted for approval???? Now, with the operational money in place, the school board, the new super, the admin. and the teachers will continue to make suttle changes, produce broken bits and pieces of evidence indicating improvement to appease the public and, when the Journal publishes the results of the next proficiency testing, we will see the same results we have always seen. (I think that's a safe guess on my part based on historical test data as it relates to the promised "changes" of the past levies) The real, meaningful changes just flat out never materialize folks. Haven't for years. They are made at levy approval time and just "fade away in the sunset" as after-election time passes. Today marks the beginning of the same sequence of events. The schools will take a big breath of relief and head back to their daily rituals, knowing that everything is ok in their little world and they can continue to operate as usual, knowing the forgetful public will not remember the "promises to improve" to get their little levy passed. I cringe when I look at the picture of Rasmussen and Tyus all giddy with delight, knowing that they are safe because, once again, they were part of the winning side, thanks to the apathy of the no voter. The apathy/laziness of the no voter lost this levy for the "anti" side. They are fools to have allowed this to happen and have now contributed to more stagnation.

Again, congrats to the winners. I am disappointed in the outcome and fear no positive results from this approval.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 7:58am
Vet, it won't be a surprise if in a couple years we'll hear about how this levy was just to maintain service, bussing, etc. but in order to leap forward and tackle the real problems they need additional staff and, therefore, a new levy.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:47am
Congratulations to the Middletown School district, board and new school superintendent Rasmussen for your efforts paid off in getting the Substitute levy passed.

Here is hoping for academic progress.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic