FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Tax Increase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

had a very long answer typed, vet
it didn't stick and I was too lazy to copy first
my bad

while you make a few good points(nothing new), I disagree with the conclusion of your thinking.
How many times must you say the same thing?
I would say  as many times as we have to hear the same old song and dance from the school system.
With Pacman's suggestion,we at least we can journey down a new path with assured changes instead of this endless dirt road that doesn't offer any changes.
This new Supt. doesn't offer any new game plan because he doesn't have one,he is just hopping on board with the people who gave him a job
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 10:40pm
My mistake,it was VietVet who made the comment and not Pacman.
Pat View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 10:44pm
Vet and Pac...First of all, the discipline policy came from Price and has changed significantly since he has been gone and in all the schools the discipline has changed for the positiive.

Secondly...you show your ignorance because you have no idea what you are taking about when you site  OAA scores.  Go read the explanation of each category on the ODE website. (Not individual school's results, but what a district has to do to met the criteria.)

Next...you state, "What will be different if we give them more money to operate the schools the same way they have been operating for 30 years?"  Well, the levy in question is not for "more" money!  And the schools have not been operating the same way for 30 years!  Wlhat proof do you have they have been operating the same way for 30 years?  Do you even know when the OAA tests were first put into effect?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 11:52pm

I won't vote yes on this as a permanent levy.

Simple solution:
Put it on as a 3 year renewal and it'll get my vote.
This gives us some time to see if changes happen.
While it's doubtful school funding will change, should it happen we're still saddled with a permanent levy.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 6:16am

I am mostly concerned about the lack of organized support from the teachers,parents and students.
Seems that they should be leading this parade instead of a few board members and private citizens.
If our teachers won't support this, then MAYBE we have the wtrong group of teachers.
If our teachers won't support this, then it is more likely that we have the wrong group of administrators and BoE members!!!

They aren't leaders if no one is following!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 6:34am

Hopefully not MORE money Mike--but you don't read me saying that it won't happen.
Spider,
Perhaps I wasn't clear.  In the past, we have ALWAYS been told that, without more money, we could NOT expect improvement.  THAT was THEIR logic.  THAT was what THEY expected us to believe.

Therefore, from that it is only logical to infer that with only the SAME amount of money, we CANNOT expect improvement and can ONLY expect to maintain the status quo, AT BEST!!!

Or, perhaps they will admit that they always LIED to us in the past about WHY they wanted more money and that it really wasn't to IMPROVE education???  NAH!!  That won't happen.

And since we are on the bottom rung, we cannot fall very far.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 7:22am
OK Pat- I have Journal articles from the 80's that give the surrounding school district comparison on the proficiency scores. Middletown is on the bottom. On the last published report on the proficiency scores, Middletown is on the bottom .....still/again. That's 25+ years to show some improvement, not 30 years- still too long. How many years does one try the same thing and how many lumps on the head does one have to incur before one finds out that it ain't workin' and it hurts when the lumps form? Insanity- trying the same failed approach over and over again and expecting a different result to occur.

You state-"Go read the explanation of each category on the ODE website"-"not individual school's results and what a district has to do to meet the criteria"- Mercy! That's just it, Pat....I have to look at the individual school results- THAT"S WHAT I CARE ABOUT. Sometimes, when you lump all the schools together when compiling data, the poorer ones grade out better than they really are as they are buffered by the better performing ones. I care about individual performance, not school grouping performance. When you group, you dilute. No more excuses about "not using individual school results or what a district has to do to meet criteria"- just GET IT DONE! The bosses (taxpayers in this case) at work don't want to hear excuses....they want you (the education people in this case) to do what is required to get the job done.....or......they'll find someone(new teachers/admin in this case) who will give them (the taxpayers again) what they ask for.

Discipline???? Pat, there hasn't been real discipline in the schools for years, since the parents intimidated the schools with their lawsuits for touching their "little angels". They stopped corporal punishment(which works in most areas) years ago. That's when the discipline left the schools. Time outs, taking away priviledges, suspensions are placebos that are not effective. Pain is. Use to be two sources for pain- the Dean of Boys/Girls and when you got home. Now, there is neither. Need that to come back, IMO.

Pat, the levy COULD be for more money if the tax base made up of businesses and citizens continues to leave town. That means that the ones staying will have to make up the difference to guarantee the schools their 18 million on this levy. Yes, it could mean more money for us property owners. This is a permanent levy, never to be voted on again. It is a "forever" tax to us property owners and we want to see something new in direction, performance and accountability to the people before we will approve it. Simple as that. No more "business as usual". That ain't cuttin' it anymore.

What proof do we have that the schools have been operating the same way for 30 years? Let's see.....if you do the same failed things for 30 years and you produce the same failed results for 30 years, it would indicate to me that there has not been any change at all OR that the changes that have been made in the 30 years have been surface fluff and not had one positive result or we would have been able to measure upward progress that would have made us take notice that we were achieving something. We also would have made strides in satisfying more than 5 of 30 indicators in the last 20+ years. We have been stuck on that number for years.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 7:45am
Spider- "how many times must I say the same thing". At least as many times as Newell, some teachers, the other admin, the supers, some pro-levy-prominent citizens and the school board try to blow crap up the public's rear end. Conversely, how many times are we going to hear the feel good story about how "we need your money to help educate the kids", and then see the disappointing results afterwards?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Pat Pat wrote:

Vet and Pac...First of all, the discipline policy came from Price and has changed significantly since he has been gone and in all the schools the discipline has changed for the positiive.

Can you post a link to this new Discipline policy I would be interested in reading it?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 12:59pm

Has the "NO HOMEWORK ALLOWED" policy changed since Price left???

Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 1:46pm
Mr. Presta, there has never been a "No Homework Allowed" policy at MCSD.

In 2007, the policy committee proposed a change to the homework policy that would have said that certain kinds of homework (for example, assignments for practice of skills taught in class, or for preparation for the next class) should not be graded.  Other types of homework (for example, papers and longer term projects) could still be graded.  NOTHING in the proposed policy change would have prohibited teachers from assigning homework, or giving quizzes in class to see if the students did preparation work that had been assigned--for example, had they read the chapter of the book that was assigned?).  The distinction was based on sound educational theory and generally required teachers to think about the purpose of the assignment--why were they assigning it? If it is to test whether and how well the student has mastered the material, it should be graded. Given the lack of parental support in many homes, it can be unfair to grade students on some types of homework. In effect, you are grading the parents and not the students.  My son in 7th grade received grades for whether or not he brought pencils and notebooks to class. Some of his classmates came from a home where there was more crack than food, let alone school supplies,

Many teachers and community members, without bothering to read or understand the proposed policy change, immediately opposed it, saying that the district was wrong to eliminate homework -- never mind that the policy did not eliminate homework.  More thoughtful critics said that not grading homework would be the same as not assigning it, because no one would do it if not assigned. This criticism may have been valid for some types of homework but not others.  There is no way to assign a grade to whether a student read the assigned chapter, unless you give a quiz to test knowledge retained -- and the quiz could still be given and graded.

Based on the response, the proposed change was dropped in 2007 and the homework policy remained in place without change.  Now, as then, it continues to be within the discretion of individual teachers whether to assign homework, what type of homework, and whether to grade it.  Most assign some, and many assign quite a bit.

Marcia Andrew

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

If it is to test whether and how well the student has mastered the material, it should be graded. Given the lack of parental support in many homes, it can be unfair to grade students on some types of homework. In effect, you are grading the parents and not the students.  My son in 7th grade received grades for whether or not he brought pencils and notebooks to class. Some of his classmates came from a home where there was more crack than food, let alone school supplies,

Marcia Andrew

Mrs. Andrew,

Explain to me concerning your above statements. Why must everyone conform to the lowest standard, when Some fail or can't tow the line to do what is expected of them for whatever reason?  Why must the rest of us lower our standards and expectations to conform with those who can not perform or won't?  I do not understand this logic.

There is more to Homework that just testing knowledge on a given subject.  Doing homework improves ones understanding of each subject, it helps to develop good study habits for later on in your educational endeavors, it teaches discipline and responsibility, etc.

My son who is in the 8th grade is a good example of this,  he comes home each night with homework in various subjects.  No one is home when he gets home, yet he knows that doing his homework is his first priority unless there is a school function and he does it,  EVERY DAY.  Then I look at it when I get home.

The answer is not to lower everyone standards, but to raise the expectations and standards of those who continually fall short.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 3:24pm
Pacman,

I didn't say anything about lowering standards or expectations.  I totally agree with you that we should hold students to high standards, expect them to learn the material, to learn a disciplined approach to studying.  I agree that homework is important for many reasons.  I never said otherwise.  Maybe you are not distinguishing between assigning homework and grading homework.  I do not agree that it is universally true that if you do not grade homework, no one will do it.  I have done loads of homework myself over the years that was never graded and no one but myself knew whether I did it or not. But all that is completely irrelevant, because, as I said, THE POLICY WAS NEVER CHANGED. TEACHERS ARE FREE TO ASSIGN AND GRADE HOMEWORK AS THEY DEEM APPROPRIATE.

My point from the part you quoted is, I don't think that any part of a student's grade for a course should be based on whether they have enough money to pay for school supplies.  My son gets 10 points out of 200 for bringing his pencils and notebook, and the kid next to him gets a zero.  That's taking away 10 points from that kid just because his parents are poor, or clueless (or both).

Marcia Andrew
LoveToTeach View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoveToTeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 4:17pm
Imagine your child's first day in the first grade. She is so excited to go to school, meet her new teacher and all of her classmates. Sometime in the next month, her teacher tells you about the extra help she has been receiving in reading and math. She has a tutor who meets with her three days a week. Her teacher is able to pull her into small group for extra help on a daily basis, because class sizes are manageable. Your child is succeeding in school because she has people there that are able to help make a difference.

This is a good example of education in our elementary schools. This is a fundamental shift from the times of whole class instruction. In Middletown, we ARE changing in GOOD ways. We are moving away from the one size fits all education.   We have adopted a math program, even though it has been criticized by many, has been proven to be effective. Several other school districts have adopted the Investigations program and have seen marked improvement in test scores. This is our first year implementing this program. We look forward to the results that will come in the next two or three years.

For the first time since I began my profession, all teachers are involved in professional development in literacy which will reshape how we teach reading in our elementary schools. Decisions are being made to choose assessments which lead to challenging instruction and student involvement in their own progress as learners.

There are many great things going on in our elementary schools. I would like to continue moving in the most positive direction I have seen yet in our schools. And let's face it, losing 26% of our operating budget would be a major road block. I vote "yes" for progress, not obstacles!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 11:40pm
Mrs Andrew, While you are on the forum I would like to hear  the real reason why the school is asking for a forever tax.? What reason would I as a taxpayer be compelled to vote yes on a system( as been mentioned above) that has shown little forward movement in the past 25 yrs. I surely can't base a yes vote on the reason that there is a new Supt.( no past  track record in dealing with a situation that this school system generates).Why not a 3yr levy to give everyone an opportunity to make a sound e valuation on this hiring?. I believe this request is not one that should be presented at this time beause of past performance. We need a more solid foundation to invest our money in.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2010 at 12:35am

Thank you, Ms. Andrew, you are, of course, correct!!!

I never should have flippantly given that particular policy a nickname, enclosed in quotation marks, thinking everyone would understand to which policy I was referring when inquiring whether or not it was in force.

In fact, I never should have asked at all. Even though I no longer have a child in the district (nor have I had for several years) I should have taken the time to research it for myself instead of trying to save myself the time and trouble by asking here online where someone might have known offhand.

By the way, I didn’t find any comment on my post from a few hours earlier than the “no homework” post. Was that something I should’ve been able to look up myself as well?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2010 at 10:52am
Well alright! Now, we have John Sauter joining in on the levy endorsement fun. He says they have been working on our trust issues with them. Don't know if you've succeeded as yet. John says there are many new exciting programs in place and they're leaving all the traditional teaching programs behind. It is small group, special instruction, individual responsibility type programs that are now in place. He says the discipline issues have been addressed also. Wonder when we'll see if that is working or not? Some of the data posted by Pacman, I believe, doesn't indicate that it is getting any better. He says there is no increase in taxes as all pro-levy folks say, which, may/may not be true.(See Mike Presta's posts) He, of course, fails to mention that this is permanent and can never be excised from the books on behalf of the property owner. You'll pay no matter how bad things get-forever. John also says they have cut some staff (still waiting on the school spokesperson Alberico to go John-can't we incorporate her "speaking" job into someone else's duties?) And, what about all the multiple assistant principals that have been retained? He says changes are coming and improvement will be made. Oh John.......can we give you money on promises alone? Haven't we been "promised" good things in the past and responded just to find out the new money has been squandered? Wish we could believe that it will improve but you saying it, doesn't make it so.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2010 at 11:21am
Vet--I have been around Mr.Sauter since his time with the fire dept.
I have ALWAYS found him to be of very high moral character and completely honest/straight-forward.
To me, he has never sugar-coated anything, he listens, and cuts straight to the point, and always has.
He has extremely high credibility and has backed up the talk be successfully being chosen as a school board representative. YOU tell ME what is fabricated or spin in his thinking, outside of your version of the situation.
I also find Ms.Alberico ro be competent and necessary.

Mike--you might be chasing windmills on this "No Homework Allowed" premise that you are pushing.
Could you verify the official school system stance where this situation was announced and in-acted?

Let's don't discredit or blow off our new Super.
He may well make a big difference.
Lwt's hope so--all indications point that way(unless you always want to look for the worst case possibilities).
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2010 at 12:33pm
It is apparent there is no rationale argued effctively as I have just stayed back and read for the past few weeks, there is benefit. sj states it will be worse, Ms. Andrews says it will be worde. The "catch all" phrases are "it may get better", "lets give the new superintendent" ergo, the new and improved model, a chance. Its humorius argument and presented poorly. I;m a stand up guy sj, have credibility with anyone who knows me, and have facts I rely upon in every decision. Your reference to a retired Fore Chief whom has a wife teach holds no more credibility than a neighbor who wants amortization of expense because his child attends school.

Those who make their livelihood in Middletown, have a relative working in the system, or have a child in the system will vote YES. Those who don't and assess this as a business investment and expect an ROE will VOTE NO. Its realy that simple.

I'm osrry, but I've read and heard enough about "making progress', we are getting there, just give us a little more time. The school has failed and with the other problem mentioned so many times on thos forum, aka Section 8, the correlation between 1 rin hand in hand. The levy would be defeated upon factual basis. Upon a heart argument, lets do it for the kis, its fails. They aren't staying around and no job are available. Lets cut to the chase without spinning and parsing arguendo: the facts don't support the levy and demonstrate waste continues with no to very limited progress. For those embedded in the Middletown society, think it is a crown jewel, they vote yes, its the "civic" thing to do. For those who view the matter as black and white, its an easy decision- voting NO is easily made based upon 10 years or > or promise, never remotely nearing expectation set.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2010 at 10:36pm

Accaro, You hit the hammer on the head by  revealing the bottom line and cutting out all the crap that comes with these levies everytime they want our money.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2010 at 10:48pm
I really do want to know the reason why  the school feels compelled to ask for this tax to be forever.Is there any takers out there to  step forward and answer this simple request?.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2010 at 9:02am
Here we go again, Spider. My post clearly attacks the MESSAGE that Sauter was presenting, not the man himself. I don't care who is delivering your pro-levy messages, the theme seems to be to glamorize the POTENTIAL good things that WILL COME IN THE FUTURE, disregarding the empty promises on the results from money given in the past. It is getting to be a worn out record, Spider, with skips in the grooves and is unplayable. (Using the old 45 record as an analogy, of course) You seem to have an occasional habit of twisting what I am saying. Sauter (and Fiora) are the only two that I care for on the school board. They seem to be the only two that give us an indication that they understand and have a clue about what most of us are thinking concerning our district. Sauter seems to be the only one with a spine when he brought up the discipline issues, although I haven't heard from him in quite a while concerning this topic.

Why on God's green earth, would you think Alberico as spokesperson is necessary? Is there any reason why the school people couldn't incorporate her job duties into someone else's job? We could stand to lose her $80 thou + a year salary in a system that is supposidly strapped for money, couldn't we? Can't anyone else speak for the district when it comes "speakin' time"?

Don't have anything against the new super and aren't trying to "discredit" him. Hell, He ain't here yet. Just can't give you pro-levy people anymore money on a "wing and a prayer"-" maybe it will work this next time"- "promises in the dark" scenario. Gotta show us something first. Lord knows, the education people have had enough time and money to do so. Unfortunately, there are no positive results to convince us as yet.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2010 at 10:33am

While he seems like a nice guy, I fear the Super is doomed to fail.  He only has a three year contract, is not from here, and from what I hear is being very cautious about buying or renting a home.  He is understandably afraid of planting down roots and wants a quick exit strategy for his possible departure.  I wonder even if he is able to produce modest improvements in three years if, at the end of it, he'll be heading back home anyway after an interesting but frustrating three year Ohio sabbatical.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2010 at 11:00am
When I began my career years ago starting at IBM, the saying the first year you were learning the job and the culture. The second year you were starting to gain experience, make a modest contribution. By year 3, the expectation was th had mastered the fundamental procedures and could make an earnest contribution. That is hard in the private sector, where you have control, ; in this scenario, he has no control. I don't understand why he took the position. It would be very difficult for an Assistant (formerly) to come into a new town, a new district, a new state, and expect in 3 years to turn it around. I think he's a token; get the new guy in on a hope and prayer enough "buy" into the notion the new guy deserves a chance. Simply out, that is not compelling.     
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2010 at 11:03am
Hell Bill, I don't blame him if he is not looking to buy, I wouldn't buy a home here either under the current conditions and city operations.  I'd rent with an escape clause if I could.  Maybe he can rent Prices home?  To buy right now makes no sense for any professional in Middletown.  What with the city now hinting at Bankruptcy in 2 years if the Public Safety levy doesn't pass, which I personally won't vote for again.  The city needs to go into cutting mode and now not later.

If the new Fire Contract has any raise in it again they need to cut the number of Fire Fighters it will take to pay that raise to the others.  This city is going into melt down mode today not 2 years from now.

AJ is out in left field with his lack of understanding on Spending and his lack of understanding on the Section 8 issue, specifically that we have always had 1662 vouchers.  He is to inexperienced to be on Council in a city with this big of a mess.  He would do well to do less talking at times and more listening and learning.

The city should be in overdrive to cut expenses at every level and now that the scare tactics have begun for the Public Safety levy expect it to continue for the next two years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic