FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome Dilman Foods and Save a Lot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
admin View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome Dilman Foods and Save a Lot
    Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:23am
Welcome MiddletownUSA.com's newest advertisers Dilman Foods and Save a Lot.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:31am
Never heard of 'em. Are they a new grocery chain in the area?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 11:41am
I miss the old Dillman Foods on Roosevelt. 
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2010 at 12:37pm
Admin, you forgot tell everyone to be sure to click on Dillmans ad to find out about all the great deals going on at his stores.  Man do I have to do everything around here. :)
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 6:59am
thanx swohio
appreciated your family support--a shame that more don't miss it.
Survived the S.University Center demise, and now suffering through the K Mart Center breakdown.
Not to mention Central Ave.traffic being sparse due to the geographic loss of the key destinations(like
the hospital,Roosevelt school and all other schools, AK management and the other paper corporations, and all of the businesses formerly downtown).
Things have changed, and everyone like DILLMAN FOODS/SAVEALOT is long gone.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 8:34pm
I still hit the Central Deli for Lunch once in a while. University fed me a ton times on my way to work.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 10:10am
thanx lrisner
the old S.University deli was a huge success as well as our scratch bakery back then. As Vet might say--the good ole days when the city was functioning in all areas. The Armco/AK crews supported us big time(we tried to help with the LEAP program if you remember that far back), even in the 70s from HQ b4 they were moved to New Jersey. Things have gone downhill since as the center looks terrible(thanks Middletown ED Dept. for the 25+ years of neglect!).
That old deli still sits behind the front wall of SAVEALOT.

The DILLMAN FOODS  deli is as good or better imo, and is probably the cornerstone of the business currently. I let conditions slip for a while, but feel good about how we look at every location.

Still struggling to survive, but look at what has happened to everyone similar.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Marsh locations locally. Their days are numbered I hear.
With the city ignoring current long-term businesses and instead subsidizing Duncan Oil(who already reneged on one local project) and the downtown UDF, the deck is definitely stacked against us.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 10:35am
Used to live near the Dillman's on Central.  The day I saw a mouse scurrying around the deli left a bad taste.  I know "stuff happens" and it may have been a rare occurrence but....
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 2:14pm
Apologize for that, Mr.Bill.
I understand your concerns, and I haven't seen a mouse around for quite a while.
They are not invited, however, as you mentioned, over time I have seen just about everything.

For a long while, my neighbors to the rear littered the back alley with trash. Thankfully we have newer, more caring neighbors at this time. Unfortunately, we are all somewhat at the mercy of our neighborhood conditions, and my business neighborhoods all seem to be shifting the wrong way. The demographic change between Supthin and Crawford has been an economic disaster. While the S.University center looks bad, the neighborhood is surprisingly safe. As for the K Mart plaza(formerly) on Roosevelt and the surrounding centers-----don't want to say anything.

Hopefully, after saying this, I won't see critters any time soon.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2010 at 2:35pm
I love the deli as well - it really is the best.  It is great especially when you want something fast for your family, but not fast food.  I miss the Roosevelt store as well - but now I just go to Central for the deli, little further but worth the drive.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 12:38pm
I have to say the Dillman's is a great place to shop. I never would have shopped there had I not met Steve. What a great guy. Support the local guy and you support yourself.

We can actually have an economic impact by buying at Dillman's whenever you can. When you shop at Walmart or Meijers, sure you are supporting some jobs, but most of the money is shipped out of town. Will Dillman's the money stays in the community more.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 1:18pm
John that goes for any small business in town.  One of the main killers of small businesses is lack of financial support from local citizens by using that business.  If you can get something at a small business in town do it.Thumbs%20Up

Middletown is currently a tough nut to crack for most small businesses due to the economy and other factors which have occurred in the last 5 years.  Many small businesses are struggling in town to just get by and keep the doors open. 
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2010 at 3:51pm
Agreed Pacman. People vote with their dollars. Vote for local business.

Anyone need a computer network? lol
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 8:41am
One of my favorite features of the old Dillman's on Roosevelt was the drive-up grocery pick up--where the baggers would put bags in bins and then you could drive up and pick them up. 

I recently was at another grocery store that had a similar feature although it is now used for pick up for groceries that are ordered online.

While too young to remember it, I hear the old store on University was quite a showplace when it first opened and a model for grocery stores of the future.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 1:43pm
Thank you for the kind words, swohio.

In the late 60s, we bought Reedy's Market in the area formerly known as downtown. We were VERY successful then, operating well on Central Ave., and downtown, pioneering the 24-hour concept. We were forced out of that location for the enclosed downtown mall, and have been courted to return ever since.

After that closure, we became involved in the S.University Center, and were in the building plans and initial opening(with help from a very aware city govt.). That store opened as a showplace on scale with the current Dorothy Lane operation. We were carpeted, co-workers wore black pants-white shirts-ties, and customer service was a key component. First hot deli in the area, first expansive assortment of lunch meats,cheeses,desserts, butchers on-call for specialty cuts--largest beer/wine & gourmet food selection in the area + a superior scratch bakery.

We were visited daily by Kroger execs and everyone to experience the concept. Virtually everyone in the city patronized that location, particularly the upper class(remember--this is the current location of the S.University SAVEALOT), and we opened in 1972.

When Armco moved the top exec headquarters to NJ, that was the beginning of the "change" , or "shift of demographics". One by one, the big businesses began to leave the area, taking the key white collar jobs out of town. Armco became AK and the down-sizing has continued ever since. At one time, between AK and Square D workers, we had huge back-ups at the hot food counter daily. We were the best at super market hot food then, and still are today at our Central Ave.location imo.

Then Cambridge Inn closed, Target(formerly Ayr Way) moved, and the businesses between gradually all disappeared,Square D along with the Pleak family's excellent BP service station. We have been the ONLY business operating in that center for the last 25 years. So--you see why I might be somewhat displeased with local Economic Development efforts(or lack of). Most municipal employees(out-of-towners) don't even know that the store exists.

We switched to the SAVEALOT concept over 10 years ago(with city support) due to the demographic shift(yes--we could see it coming), and 4 years ago, changed our Roosevelt location to the same format for the same reasoning. Now--I am watching that Roosevelt center evolve along the same pattern. Makes me literally sick because I know what is coming, but can't do much to change it on my own(in our current weakened state).

So--thanks to everyone who has supported us along the way. Couldn't have made it without you, and WON'T make it without you now. If you don't like us, or we have disappointed you, I apologize and understand. It hasn't been an easy last 20 years and we have struggled. However--at this time--I feel confident in saying that our 3 locations are in better shape than in a long while, and provide excellent value.

Still--nothing lasts forever. Everything has it's cycle.
If things don't get better, then we are gone.
I will share the praise with everyone involved, and will shoulder the failures.

At least, that is my shortened version.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 5:22pm
Interesting, informative synopsis of your business Spider. In the mid 60's, I use to take grandma down to the Central Store to shop with a stop at Reedy Foods on Verity for some groceries. (I took her around town when grandpa was sleeping as he worked turn work out at West Processing back then). Got to use the car to go out on the weekends if I took grandma shopping. LOL. Went to school with Kent Reedy. I was in Nam in the late 60's and never knew what happened to Reedy Foods.

You mentioned the Pleak BP station. Did a person named Ross Pleak work there? Knew a Ross Pleak in high school in the 60's. Just curious.

I remember Robert Boni announcing the big wig move to Passaic (sp?) NJ in the mid 80's I believe. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that)

Thanks for the look back in time. As always, I find comfort in thinking how nice the town use to be. Was a happy time for me in my life. Now-
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 7:52pm
Boni is correct Vet. We called him bone-ee.
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 1:10am
Survived the S.University Center demise, and now suffering through the K Mart Center breakdown.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 3:57am
Dillmans on Central has the best fried chicken in town. I f you haven't tried it do yourself a favor.
Paul Nagy
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 7:08am
Spider,
We are in our 24th year of business in Middletown, but as you probably know, 20 of those years were spent in the Towne Mall. Moving to the Middletown Shopping Center has been like relocating to a new world in many ways. I never knew the history of many businesses on this side of town until recently. I love hearing your business history and sympathize with you in every way. We also will not be around much longer if the current dismal conditions continue. It was great to meet you the other night, as I'm ashamed to say I did not put the name with the face before. Keep plugging away and God bless Middletown!
"Because nice matters..."
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 10:04am
Thank you Mr.Nagy and Ms.Patti for the kind words.
My business will either be down-sized, re-focused or gone in a reasonably short time.
Times have changed, our city has changed(big time demographically), and the business community must change or  disappear. Honestly--I never thought that "things" would move so quickly in the direction that has transpired. Enough "whining" on my end. Suck it up and make it work, Spider--that is what you are here to do.

I do my shopping exclusively at Ms.Patti's business. Well run--always have what I need, locally-owned and a positive member of this forum.
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 5:07pm
Thanks Spider!! We do appreciate it!
"Because nice matters..."
edgeoo View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgeoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2017 at 9:13pm
I think of Dillman Fried Chicken most every Sunday. Their chicken was the best, bar none. I wish someone who worked in the Dillman Deli or a family member would publish a copy of the recipe. I have to go because I'm starting to salivate at the thought of eating that Golden Fried Dillman Chicken. Mmmmm

PIGG OUT
Thank you for reading
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2017 at 7:49am
thanx edge!
closest would be Lovely's on 73 by the 75 exit towards Springboro
same breading, procedure and sells quickly/(esp on the weekend)
fryers went to two local places who haven't done chicken very well
Mrs.D's macaroni salad??
other hot food specials??
meat loaf--salmon patties--roast beef--pork chops--biscuits/gravy--and donuts long ago

a great run and huge thanx for decades of local support
big thanx to the large staff over the years
sad about what has become of the former locations
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic