FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split among Council

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split among Council
    Posted: May 18 2010 at 9:20pm
The split among council members is becoming more evident.  Picard appears to have a chip on his shoulder constantly during the meetings, I don't think he realizes he is not in a courtroom during the meetings.  I am glad the others stand up for themselves.

Obviously it probably came down to 3 against 3 as to the choice of an Armbruster replacement.  Stick to your guns folks.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 9:41pm
The question in my mind is:

What happened to Gary Barge???
Did he drop out???

Was he summarily dismissed???

Why didn’t council advise the public that Mr. Barge was no longer under consideration???

Had Mr. Barge not been a candidate, perhaps others (who may have felt deference to him as the “runner-up candidate” last November) would have thrown their hat in the ring!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Had Mr. Barge not been a candidate, perhaps others (who may have felt deference to him as the “runner-up candidate” last November) would have thrown their hat in the ring!!!

Mike I would hope this is not true. 
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 5:11am

You people must act. You are being taken for fools. The mayor talks to you as if you are idiots.

First, you must only wait until 11/2011 to vote for a new councilman if it is the mayor’s seat that is vacant. Read your charter. Other seats can be filled at the next “regular election.” This November (2010) is a “regular election.” Perhaps they are just stalling until after it is too late for candidates to file. That sounds like the kind of trick Landen would play.

Next the 2 factions are obviously deadlocked. don’t wait for them to maneuver or compromise. Insist that they do not. Insist on someone with the character to make the right decisions and the integrity to stand by those decisions regardless of which side votes whatever way. It should be someone with no conflicts of interests, not somebody who already has them going in.

One of the old, war-horse businessmen would be a good choice and even one in ill health would be likely to accept, as long as it was only for the rest of this year and not until January 2012. Someone who does not want it would be the best choice. Someone like Nagy or Mike Guyler or Presta or maybe even Doc Martin (is he still alive?) would be examples of the types I’m talking about. It’s not about popularity right now. It’s about character and integerity. Someone who knows the tricks these clowns play. No more lawyers or bankers or preachers or salesmen. No one who has an iron in the fire, but someone who has had to make a dollar. Someone who doesn’t owe anyone and who nobody owns.

It aint that hard, think a little bit and then demand it.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 7:15am
I thought that the only sensible comments of the evening came from Mr.Becker.
City over-paid for the Vail St.property, and has no current demo plans for it.
How long will the current occupant be allowed to stay after the sale?
Until they acquire another location(I wonder where-lol)?
Will they pay the city rent?If I was Mr.Diver, I would double the price on 1607 Central since kit is probably worth twice as much as the Vail property(which appraised for?)

We need a LEADER to emerge for the vacant seat because the current Council is struggling and grandstanding.
PLEASE eliminate Council comments!

Seems like a 1st ward election is the only fair way to fill this seat.

Anyone hear what went on in executive session?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 7:28am
Do you think we'll all be surprised when the Mulligan, Becker, Picard camp announces a "last minute/city bought" newcomer candidate (Michel?) in the 11th hour? This, of course, to sway the council numbers in their favor. Wouldn't surprise me. They've done some underhanded stuff like that before, haven't they? Kinda "blindsided" the public on their decisions?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 7:43am
From Article II Section 3 of the City Charter:

"Vacancies in the City Council, other than the Mayor, shall be filled by the City Council for the remainder of the unexpired term. If the term of such City Council member whose place becomes vacant does not expire on the first day of January following the next regular municipal election, then such person chosen by the City Council shall serve only until such regular election, at which time a City Council member shall be elected to fill the remainder of the unexpired term. All vacancies in the position of City Council members chosen “by ward” shall be filled by the remaining City Council memberswith an elector who would be qualified to be chosen as a City Council member from the ward represented by the vacated seat ."

The key here is "regular municipal election" the next election in November is not a regular Municipal election.........is it?  I don't think so, the next "regular Municpal Election" would be 11-2011.....I believe.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 8:57am

Mike Guyler?  Seriously?  Just look at the Pierson/Guyler/GM fiasco.   Seemed a little shady to me. 

jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 10:31am
Hell, the vote could have been 2,2,2 or 3,2,1 who knows. Jeff Michel is in the 3rd Ward. Having 4 votes to confirm someone may be impossible.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 10:55am
Well welcome back Jag123, been a while since we heard from you.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 4:40pm
Been a little quiet since Mr. Armbruster's death, but I am ready to engage again. I watched last night's meeting, still can't believe what city leadership has become. I also was interested in the Planning Commission vote on the East End. Only 1 "no" vote? I may have expected 2 or 3. Jagster
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 6:09pm

Pac,

I think Dead Man may be right. Consider the wording in the two successive paragraphs in the Charter that deal with filling vacancies on council, one dealing with “Vacancies in the City Council, other than the Mayor…” and the next dealing with “When the office of Mayor becomes vacant…”:

Appointees to fill seats “other than the Mayor” shall serve only until the next “regular election”, while an appointee to fill the seat vacated by the sitting member chosen by council to serve as Mayor shall serve only until a new Mayor is elected at the next “regular municipal election”.

There is a “regular election” every year in November, while there is a “regular municipal election” only in odd numbered years. It seems to me that the key words are “other than the mayor”!!!

Then again, what do I know?  I am only reading exactly what it says.  I am sure that others will want to go with what they think it means.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2010 at 6:33pm
Spider,
The only good thing about how the land swap deal was resolved was that the taxpayers ended up getting hosed for $5,000 less.  Just putting the properties into escrow for a few weeks didn't really change a thing.

Someone with a similar, legitimate business was sent packing to Monroe for no reason other than personal preferences of a city employee.  Then a friend of City Hall made a handsome profit in a short time thanks to inside information.  Certainly, with all of the empty buildings in this city, MidTown Custom Cabinets (with the help of our crack ED department) could have found another suitable location.

Net result???
Middletown lost one new business.  Middletonians wasted $40,000.
Yet, everyone at City Hall is so excited about a relocated convenience store (UDF).
Go figure.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 5:05am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Mike Guyler?  Seriously?  Just look at the Pierson/Guyler/GM fiasco.   Seemed a little shady to me.
Yes, seriously, Mike Guyler, although I know that he (and some of the others I mentioned) are not in Ward 1. I was trying to give examples of people with character and integrty and who would stand on principal and who are not owned by others as most in this town are.

The fiasco you mention may have occured, but it was not due to Mike's actions.  Get your facts straight.  If anything, he was a victim.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 5:18am
Also, someone challenged my post on the Journal about the CVB receiving city tax money. whoever it was was wrong and did not read the ORC section he sited closely enough.

That article and its comments has been deleted by the journal.

Once the bed tax is collected and paid to the city, it belongs to the people until legally distributed.  I repeat my challenge to that idiot to site the ordinance where the Middletown Convention and Visitors Board was Legally created, where its members were rightfully appointed and their salaries set and authorized to be paid with public funds.

If no one can site these ordinances, then obviously it is a scam perpetrated upon the people of Middletown and shows the corruption within this city and county. 

Private citizens cannot just decide that they are going to form a CVB and leech off of public money. Of course it happens in other areas of this city, so what else is new?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 7:49am
Mike this is exactly what it says on page 5, anyone care to define a "regular municipal election" other than what it says in the first line?:

"SECTION 3. ELECTION.

In the general election to be held in 2007, and every four (4) years thereafter, two (2) City Council members and the Mayor shall be chosen “at large”. The mayoral seat shall be elected separately from the two (2) at large seats, and a candidate for Mayor must file and run as a candidate for Mayor. In the general election to be held in 1993, and every four years thereafter, four (4) City Council members shall be chosen “by ward”. City Council members chosen “by ward” shall be electors residing in the ward from which they are chosen. All City Council members shall be chosen for a term of four (4) years, except as provided in the next paragraph of this section.

Vacancies in the City Council, other than the Mayor, shall be filled by the City Council for the remainder of the unexpired term. If the term of such City Council member whose place becomes vacant does not expire on the first day of January following the next regular municipal election, then such person chosen by the City Council shall serve only until such regular election, at which time a City Council member shall be elected to fill the remainder of the unexpired term. All vacancies in the position of City Council members chosen “by ward” shall be filled by the remaining City Council members with an elector who would be qualified to be chosen as a City Council member from the ward represented by the vacated seat.

When the office of Mayor becomes vacant, the Vice-Mayor shall become the Mayor and hold such office until his successor is elected, unless the Vice-Mayor declines to accept such position. If the Vice-Mayor declines to become Mayor, another City Council member would be appointed to become Mayor upon the concurrence of that member and three other members of City Council. If no City Council member is willing or able to be appointed as Mayor, City Council shall select a qualified elector of the City to fill the unexpired term of the Mayor. If the term of the vacant mayoral seat does not expire on the first day of January following the next regular municipal election, then the person filling the vacant mayoral seat, whether it be the Vice-Mayor, a member of City Council, or a qualified elector appointed by City Council, shall serve only until such next regular municipal election, at which time a qualified elector shall be elected to fill the remainder of the expired term.

If the Vice-Mayor or a member of City Council accepts appointment to the vacant mayoral seat, that council member would relinquish their seat as a council member, and their vacant seat would be filled in accordance with the terms of this Article II, Section 3.

When a vacancy occurs as the result of a recall election, such vacancy shall be filled in the manner provided for such cases.

(Amended 11-6-1990; 11-7-2000; 11-8-2005)"

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2010 at 3:10pm
Pac,
I understand your point.
However, why did they then make the distinction between next "regular election" in the case of vacancies other than Mayor, and next "regular municipal election" in the case of vacancy of the Mayor's seat?

Just a mistake??? Possibly, yet we are supposed to be governed by what laws say, rather than what we think they mean, are we not.

Example:  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

How did we ever twist these words to mean what some people think they mean today?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 7:16am

Pac,

There are two types of “regular elections” according to the Ohio Revised Code. These two are:

Regular municipal elections,” which are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in each odd-numbered year.

Regular state elections,” which are held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November in each even-numbered year.

I guess that a case could be made that since the Charter mentions “regular municipal election” in one case, that was the intent in each case.

I think that one could also make a case that since the Charter was specific in the case of the mayor, but not in the case of the other council members, that is exactly what they meant: the next “regular election” as opposed to the next “primary election” or “special election” (which are also defined terms in the ORC.)

I could cite a few reasons why the latter makes more sense if you’d like, but what you or I think is really a moot point.

We all know that Landen and the boys will interpret the law to suit their desires regardless of what you or I think, or what the law actually says.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic