FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Administrator of CMS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 10:58am
Hey--I resemble that remark, since I am on the current Master Plan Committee(for the first time).
We should finally get down to the nitty gritty at our July meeting.
It centers on Econ Dev, with both Mr.Kohler and Mr.Robinette scheduled to be present.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

From that, it's plain to see that it is the big plan from the mid-1990's!!
No...wait...it's the new Crossroads 2000 plan from the year 2000!!
No wait!!! It's the brand new Master Plan from 2005!!!
NO...Now I recognize it!!!  It's the very LATEST, brand new and improved plan that will be coming in 2010!!
Completely unlike any of the others!!!!

Hey Mike you forgot to add that they continue to appoint the SAME people to the City’s Master Planning Committee.....and expect different results...

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Keep doing the same thing over and over and you will keep getting the same results over and over!!!
I believe it's called the "scientific method"!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 9:14am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Hey--I resemble that remark, since I am on the current Master Plan Committee(for the first time).
We should finally get down to the nitty gritty at our July meeting.
It centers on Econ Dev, with both Mr.Kohler and Mr.Robinette scheduled to be present.

Spider make sure you don't spend more than an hour talking about the mess the city is in, wouldn't want to have any real discussion on the issues would we.  See if you can find out who is footing the bill on the PAC, you know lets see $500k for a Bike Path and if they are spending $500k on the PAC, I really can't think of anything more important in Middltown that they could have spent that $1,000,000.00.....can you?Big%20smile
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 9:21am
Downtown has a bright future, just wait and see. 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 9:29am

Yep Mr. Barille you sure did do a great job of giving us a wonderful past.
I want all the MUSA members to send him a special "Thank You" card.

Vouchers Awarded to MPHA 1999-2005; Total new vouchers awarded to MPHA: 888

Date               Number of Vouchers Awarded               Target Population
12-01-1999     75 mainstream vouchers                         Non-elderly disable
5-01-2000        50 family unification vouchers              Families where a lack of housing is a
                                                                                           factor for separation with children
9-01-2000        55 fair share vouchers                            None-regular vouchers
11-01-2000      200 non-elderly vouchers                       Non-elderly disabled
10-01-2001      200 non-elderly vouchers                       Non-elderly disabled
1-01-2003        200 non-elderly vouchers                       Non-elderly disabled
10-1-2005        108 tenant protection vouchers             Families residing in Chatham Village -
                                                                                           multifamily conversion action

Middletown is currently one of the 300 largest Section 8 Public Housing Agencies in the country. The
Middletown Section 8 budget is $12,055,723.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

I don't see how the growth of the Section 8 program is necessarily the reason for Middletown's current situation.  The tenants cannot be blamed for mistakes by previous councils, the flight of businesses in town, and the natural decay of an aging industrial city.  But every group with pitchforks needs a whipping boy, so the Section 8 program has become just that.  Would a 50% reduction in the program have kept AK here?  Would it have made the thousands of aging houses in town any more updated or inhabited by responsible home purchasers?  I don't think so. 

The Bible teaches us to love thy neighbor.  Government and its programs, via your taxes, are a means to help our neighbors.  Judge not lest ye be judged. 

Nope you are right we can only blame the shortsightedness of City leaders for the mess that they created for Middletown.  We can blame those tenants that fail to maintain their properties.  We can blame those tenants that create nuisances in the community by their actions.  We can blame the tenants that break the law and for the drug usage, etc.  We can blame those tenants that tend to drag down a neighborhood by these actions, just as we blame those who are not on Section 8.

No one said Section 8 is the sole reason for Middletown's problems but as usual you want to interpret the many postings on here that way.  Just as you want to sermonize those that want to see an improvement in our community, by reducing Section 8 to a reasonable level for a community this size.

You leave me with the impression that Section 8 is the great savior of any city and every city should have an abundance of Section 8 for it's residents. 

If Section 8 is so wonderful why doesn't every community clamor for as much as they can get?  Why do most communities shy or make that run away from it?  Why don't more communities have a ration of 1 voucher for every 28 residents?  I have yet to find any community is the USA that has a ratio of Section 8 that high, not even Major metropolitan cities approach that level. 

Section 8 recipients make up 44% of the poverty rate in Middletown.  Why would any city want to create a system that effectively doubled it's poverty rate in less than 10 years.  I have yet to understand the rationale of this move by Middletown leaders.  If Section 8 was at a moderate level in Middletown I doubt it would be an issue that we would even be discussing, but City leaders made major errors in their operation of the city which brought this issue to the forefront and now it mus be dealt with.

A city with a High Poverty rate probably up wards of 25-30% come 12-10 when the census comes out, does not attract businesses which count on local residents with disposable incomes such as retail, Service and Entertainment venues.  A high poverty rate has strained our school system to the point where it is performing at the bottom of the districts in Butler County consistently.  It strains our Public Services, lowers our Tax revenue.  You also can not operate a city of 45-50000 residents based solely for the benefit of 4500 people.  This has been occurring for to long in Middletown.  The amount of Time and Money spent just on the Section 8 issue is mind boggling for a city in Middletown's condition.

Just as you say we can't blame the tenants, you can't blame the residents of this city who now say enough is enough and want our city to move forward and back to some semblance of what it use to be.  Middletown will never be the city it was back in the 50's but there is no reason it can't come back to be a bedroom community to Cinci and Dayton.  It will take getting rid of the old guard mentality which grips this city from just about every corner.  It's churches are suffering, it's communities are suffering, it's business community is suffering, it's infrastructure is suffering, it's schools are suffering and on and on and on and mainly that is due to the old guard that refuses to step aside and let some new blood come to the front with new ideas.  Ideas that will have young people wanting to move here and raise their families.

The young people moving out was occurring during your watch Mr. Barille back in 1995 and as today was ignored.

Mr. Barille the "whipping boy" in Middletown is the Leadership and Old Guard, of which you were a part, that has failed all of the residents of this city for the last 20+ years.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 10:02am

Neil, I see you are hitting the ole wacky weed already today.  For the 10 years I have been here I have been hearing that same old tired saying and for the last 10 years nothing has progressed downtown to the point where it even has a future let alone a bright one.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 10:10am
Pacman, I am not ashamed to have opened the city's arms to embrace the least fortunate among us.  Government must take care of the less fortunate and if Middletown is the cradle for the downtrodden to get some rest, then so be it.  We have done God's work.  This town is finally moving toward the Marxist utopia I always envisioned.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 11:32am
"Mr. Barille"- you can't be serious in your support of an overabundant Section 8 "support the downtrodden" mentality at the expense of ruining an entire city and making it revenue welfare dependent, can you? You are just saying these things to "Get a rise out of us and raise our blood pressure" right? No one is that stupid as to honestly agree with what you have just spouted. I'm guessing you are an imposter posing as Barille just to agitate, aren't you? Mercy!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 11:39am
Ahhh yes the Marxist Utopia....that's where the Marxist get 90% of the dollar and the Downtrodden get the left over 10% and remain poor forever.
Yep this is our goverment programs at work.
sunwyn View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 12:35pm
As opposed to the Capitalist Utopia, where the capitalists control 99% of every dollar and politician!!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 2:54pm
Mr. Barille, From your joking about a joint at City Hall to spouting off about doing God's work and creating the Marxist Utopia you supposedly desired for Middletown you seem to continue to make a fool of yourself.  Now since basic Marxist theory is that God does not exist, you sir, have not only disgraced yourself but also your continual boasting about doing God's work.  It would seem sir you are more in need of a "Pitchfork" and a Evil%20Smileplace to go with it, then the people you denigrated above with your comment about the section 8 program, "But every group with pitchforks needs a whipping boy, so the Section 8 program has become just that." Wink
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 3:29pm
Hey Neil why don't you take your Godly work along with your Marxist Utopia and move to Lockland they could use your help, where as we can do without:

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 7:25pm
"a bright future, just wait and see!" ...our catch phrase from the mid-90s!!!
Completely different from "Exciting news is coming soon" or "Great things are just around the corner"...two of our interim mottos, or: "Bright past, brighter future!"...our NEW slogan!!! LOL LOL LOL

Yep, this time things are DIFFERENT, and it's gonna be great!!! Clap
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 7:46pm

Mr. Barille:

Your original post in this thread implied the benefits of Obamacare over the present system of health insurance in this nation, but you seemed to have missed the the follow-up questions that your comment spawned. For your convenience, I’ll repeat mine here: 

Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 11:45pm

Originally posted by Neil Barille

Some good points. If it were up to the "Wild West" conservatives in this country we wouldn't have any reform at all, the rich would get the care, scr*w everyone else, and our average life expectancy would resemble Bangladesh.

Please share with us, Mr. Barille. EXACTLY what health plan do YOU have??? Will YOU be abandoning YOUR plan to go with "ObamaCare"???

Or are you one of the "Do as I say, not as I do" crowd???

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 8:28pm
What plan I have personally is of no relevance to what our nation, as a whole, needs.  I would feel the same way regardless of whether I retired from the city or some other cushy union career. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 10:42pm

Some good points.  If it were up to the "Wild West" conservatives in this country we wouldn't have any reform at all, the rich would get the care, scr*w everyone else, and our average life expectancy would resemble Bangladesh. 

What plan I have personally is of no relevance to what our nation, as a whole, needs.  I would feel the same way regardless of whether I retired from the city or some other cushy union career. 
So, I take it that this means you are in the "DO AS I SAY AND NOT AS I DO" category, eh Neil???  As long as we citizens are paying for YOUR  FIRST CLASS, BLUE RIBBON health care program, all of the rest of us should sacrifice and get in line for rationed, "take what's left over after Neil gets his", "scr*w everyone else" ObamaCare!!!

I thought so.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2010 at 10:50pm

The difference between the Neil Barilles and the Mike Prestas of this world?

Well, it seems clear where people like Mr. Barille stand!!! As long as they have top-notch health plans, mostly paid for by others, then they are all in favor of forcing everyone else to abandon their free choices, pool their money, and have the working class subsidize health care for Mr. Barille (and those of his ilk) and for the poor. This means that both the working class and the poor will end up enduring low-level, rationed care administered by a bloated staff of over-paid (but also well-insured) bureaucrats.

On the other hand, where do I stand??? Well, actually, ObamaCare would work for me!!! I am at a point where I have a very expensive, individual (NON-group) plan, with a high deductible, a low life-time limit, no prescription coverage, and so on.

I have already signed health care directives providing for the withholding, or withdrawal of artificial feeding and fluids and all other forms of health care, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) but excepting pain meds and palliative care, so even if (and that is a big if) the alleged “death panels” were to come about, that would be OK for me. I can definitively state that I would refuse further procedures that such panels would likely deny to me, such as major surgery (back surgery, joint replacements, open heart, transplants (other than transplants with me as the donor, which would be highly unlikely) and the like, or major procedures such as chemo- or radiation therapies.

In fact, as I understand it, ObamaCare would be much less expensive yet provide at least as much coverage as I have now, plus prescription coverage.

Yet, even though it is better for ME, that doesn’t make it right, and I stand four-square against it.

And that, my friends, is the difference between the Neil Barilles of this world and people like me.

And it is also what is wrong with Middletown.

We have too many people (both officially at City Hall and behind the scenes at City Hall) who want to take care of their OWN interests first, usually at the expense of the taxpayers, and then want to take what is left over of the taxpayers’ money to use how THEY think is best for the rest of us, always making certain that they have what they want FIRST!!!

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 6:58am
I would be all for our country providing everyone with the healthcare I have.  Until that day comes, I think "Obamacare" as the wingnuts like to say, is the best way to get some small measure of availability to those who haven't had it.

Much like the city's Section 8 program, the government should be in the business of providing free to low cost housing and healthcare to all.  It's good policy and it's the moral way to address past inequities. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 7:30am
[QUOTE=Neil Barille]    Much like the city's Section 8 program, the government should be in the business of providing free to low cost housing and healthcare to all.  It's good policy and it's the moral way to address past inequities.

Mr. Barille- I gotta ask this question. How much Section 8 is too much Section 8 for one city? Do you agree that too much Section 8 lowers the image of a city, throws too much of a strain on a city's resources, hurts the city's school system, creates fed revenue as a substitute for the city gaining revenue through job acquisition/taxes and has no real positive contribution to the city? If you don't agree with this, please explain why. I would think you are one of the few that think the Section 8 is good policy. Do you support the freeloaders (yes, there are some) on this program as well? What "past inequities" are you speaking of? Please say it is not the same old theme that the minorities are constantly talking about. We have all had "past inequities" leveled against us in one form or another, Mr. Barille.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 7:37am
Vet, go old Neil supports a "Nanny State" provided by the Government and paid for by those who chose to work.  Gimme housing, gimme health Care, gimme food stamps, etc.   Neil's favorite word Gimme, Gimme, Gimmee. Oh and lets not forget "You Owe Me".  God why would this city ever hire someone like you for any leadership roll.  No wonder the City is going down the drain.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 9:36am
Wasteful, that "Nanny State" is exactly what I'm looking for. 

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs."
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 9:39am

I would be all for our country providing everyone with the healthcare I have.  Until that day comes, I think "Obamacare" as the wingnuts like to say, is the best way to get some small measure of availability to those who haven't had it.

Much like the city's Section 8 program, the government should be in the business of providing free to low cost housing and healthcare to all.  It's good policy and it's the moral way to address past inequities. 
I see, Neil. BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there?) the problem is, the ONLY way it will EVER be possible for "for our country" to provide "everyone with the healthcare I [YOU] have" is for YOU and all of the other "do as I say and not as I do" hypocrites to GIVE UP not only your first class health care, but to REDISTRIBUTE the REST of YOUR WEALTH and to join everyone else down at the bottom!!!

And YOU just are NOT willing to do THAT, now are you, Neil?? 
NO,  YOU only want everyone to be equal as long as YOU are MORE EQUAL than most of the others, right Neil?

The problem with YOUR system, Neil, is that YOU are only willing to share the "wingnuts' " money, right, Neil???
But what happens when you run out of other people's money, as is rapidly happening, Neil???

Are you forgetting that "the government" is YOU, Neil???

Just where do you think "the government" should get the money necessary to "be in the business of providing free to low cost housing and healthcare to all", Neil???

My 8 month-old grandchild already owes over $42,500 that YOU have given away, Neil, and his debt is going up so quickly that I doubt he'll EVER be able to pay it off.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Komrade Barille Komrade Barille wrote:

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs."
But Neil, YOU have SO much ability (and so many resources)!!!  And there is SO MUCH NEED!!!

WHEN do we get to "share" YOUR wealth, Neil???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 9:54am
Folks, we are being duped!!!

Even Neil Barille can't be so stupid as to spout all of this cr*p!
Ouch  LOL LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic