FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Consent of the Governed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dooraghero View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dooraghero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consent of the Governed?
    Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 10:39am
I was just curious as to how many folks here in Middletown believe that our government  (local or otherwise) is governing with the consent of the governed? 
Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance,just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they'll never take our FREEDOM
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 11:25am
They were given consent at the ballotbox.  People like to complain about politicians being poll driven and not making any decision without consulting the numbers, but that is what you apparently want.  I'd rather elect them and then, if I don't like them, vote them out.  I don't expect them to spend half their time holding forums/town halls, answering every citizen (crackpot?) phone call and email, or get my consent on every issue. Just do your job, while being mindful of the community you're in, and we may or may not reelect you.

Some on this forum seem to think that they should have a personal Bat-phone to the councilperson/mayor/city manager.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 11:54am
I do not think that our local government is governing with the consent of the citizen, unless you refer to the small but powerful old guard dark side that is trying to hold a tight grip on the city until they die. Wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't dragged us down to the local disaster that we have now(and then blame it all on Councilmembers who have been in office 6 months). So it's not like what they have championed has worked.

As Bill said--we voted them in--and we WILL vote them out asap if they even try to run again(I can't see any at-large incumbants running for re-election).

No bat phone here, or any expectations of that. Besides they are too busy dancing for the puppetmasters.
Just look at the campaign donations that funded $60,000 to 2 elected officials that would have won without a dime(and $15,000 to one that lost!),, then study the MMF roster to see the similarities. Great job, folks!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 12:32pm
Bill that is one of the most Batty and crackpot answers I have ever heard out of you.  No wonder little gets done in Middletown.

First they become overly concerned with about 1660 families for Section 8 and the landlords, definitely not doing what is best for the majority of citizens.  100's if not 1000's of hours spent on those two issues. 

Then we have the City Castle downtown another issue which many hours are spent trying to get raises, keep employees happy, trying to find more money for employee benefits etc.  Once again to benefit a very small group of people most who don't even live in Middletown. 

In the meantime schools suffer, infrastructure suffers, business and economically the city suffers.  We have a core group of citizens who seem to get the favor of city hall and basically call the shots while the rest are here just as window dressing.

Like the other day when the railroad crossings were talked about.  What does Cohen think?  Hey Spider did anyone care what you thought about Sutphin.  Did the city care when they came around and closed my whole parking lot off from the public to do road work......hell no.  I ended up having to go explain to them how to place the markers so that I could be open and they would be safe.

Bill, I simply expect the City to work for the overall benefit of the city as a Whole not just certain groups, minorities or anyone in particular.  Middletown hasn't seen that is quite a while.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2010 at 7:52pm

Politicians on ALL levels,whether it be local,state or federal,have not in a long time governed according to the will of the people or with the consent. Special interest groups,corporations and foreign countries dictate what the governing message will be and who gets governed by it. A political office was not meant to be a career,thus the problems we face as citizens as far as being governed are by most standards more like being dictated to. Even though we have the option to vote our vote is mute if the vote goes to a career politician who will not govern according to the people but,according to whom ever hands him/her the most campaign funds. When is the last time anyone seen a politician actually do something good for the people ?

When it comes to our present government either local or federal and state I am the most pessimistic SOB you ever talked to. I have no faith in government local,state or federal. I have only seen the bad come out of all three and would be very hard to convince me that any good exist. The will of the people no longer exist on all three levels and if you believe it does your either very wealthy or extremely naive or just plain ignorant.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 7:00am
I respectfully disagree, Hermes. From what I have seen in the progressive activities and the logical thinking of our city government, I, for one, am a true supporter of each and every decision they have made. As proof, I offer to you, the condition of our fair city. We've come a long way in the conversion from a steel/paper/manufacturing blue-collar/working class town to a "healing" town "with a heart", taking care of all the low income/Section 8 souls that need a helping hand up on a temporary basis, and, at the same time, even though we have seen Aeronca, Corson Packaging, Black Clawson, Square D and AK corporate leave and our retail businesses decimated (decimated-too strong of a word- how about "toned down"), I believe if we get enough Check Smart-Paycheck cashing places, a few more Dollar Generals and Family Dollars and some more fast food places and some trinklet shops to replace these lost manufacturing jobs, we will be in fine shape and will start providing the people in this town with a wonderful future living near the poverty line with the wages provided with these newfound jobs! Who knows.....maybe Wal-mart will start a hiring frenzy and people will start fighting over those 8 buck an hour jobs that will be offered- you know- for that "better life". Oh sure, there will always be your doubters, but in the long run, we'll be just fine with our current leadership. I'm looking at the "big picture".
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 7:54am
Consent of the governed?  Where have I heard THAT before?  Perhaps if I could remember, I could find the answer there!

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Some on this forum seem to think that they should have a personal Bat-phone to the councilperson/mayor/city manager.
Bill:
And apparently, MR. Laubach expects us to leave a message at that bat phone, if any of us want to get through to him!!! LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic