FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laubach feels Middletown is....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 3:54pm
Observer- Josh's primary job is to represent the people who elected him. That means conveying their wants and needs to the council and working toward seeing that it gets done.

We can disagree without being disagreeable? What?

Yes, Josh has done a good job, but he has disappointed alot of the people who have supported him to date on this topic. He is wrong in his stance on this one. No public money to fund a private business venture. The taxpayer should never take the hit on a failed business, especially on a consistent basis, like we do in this town with these repetitice bad decision made by some of the city leaders.

New jobs? In an arts district? Would they be worth considering as viable income worthy of creating a decent lifestyle? Doubtful.

They are wrong and we're all telling them they are. Nothing wrong with that. 10/4?
Storm Ahead View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Ahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 4:00pm
Tsk, tsk,tsk. Councilman, you have entered the lair of emotional wolves. Continue to read what they write, for they are oft-times accurate. Me thinks your responses would be wiser in emails or phone calls as you suggest.

I just wish we in this area, would start working up the food chain to Columbus, (where legislation could be passed forcing banks to mow lawns of foreclosed properties), and Washington D.C., (where true tax reform could become a reality and GATT and NAFTA should be revisited)

City Councils are big fish in small ponds.

While we are "nation building" in Iraq and Afghanistan, maybe we can dust of our Constitution and rebuild a better one here at home?
Stormy
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 4:09pm
I think Josh must be forgetting why so many voted for him. We were tired of this exact thing happening over and over and over. We thought we had someone that was not going to fall prey to these insane downtown fantasies.

Can anyone name at least own downtown property owner that has an impressive net worth? (besides Akers' stake in Manchester) My point is, this is what happens when you have a bunch of middle class wanna be somebody types. They never have the money to do anything on their own, so they try to raid tax dollars. It's disgusting.
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 4:15pm

Vet,  what i mean by saying we can disagree with josh without being disagreeable is that even though most on this board may disagree with josh's vote and josh may disagree with their opinion, that we can have those disagreements respectfully and without having a personal falling out.  In essence you know josh's opinion and why he has that opinion and he knows yours.  It doesn't sound like either party is going to change their mind so we accept the vote and move forward.  Not saying you're being disagreeable, i was just making a general statement regarding the topic.

As to your point about Josh being the voice of the people and conveying their desires...obviously that is correct and you're welcome to, and I think, have an obligation to express your opinion to your elected officals.  However, i doubt anyone here has gone out and polled the 40-50k residents of Middletown on this project.  So i doubt any of us can claim with absolute certainty what the will of the people of the entire city is on this subject.
I personally have mixed emotions on this project and can see both sides of the coin here. 
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 4:33pm
I was planning on staying out of this...but I just cant!! I do not think for one second that an art center will help downtown, but it sure as hell cant make it worse can it? I hear everyone saying no to an art center but any ideas about what should be done. Execpt the crime...Yes there is a ton of it downtown. It will be there no matter the business until cops in this town step up and take some serious action.

While I disagree with the art center idea and the using of tax money, I do agree that Mr. Laubach has had more than one meeting and we all had a chance to attend and speak up. I will also give credit where credit is due. He does show up here and answer some questions...no one else does, or at lest not often or more than once.

Lets hear some real ideas about downtown and what we should do?? and level all of it does not count!!
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

Can anyone name at least own downtown property owner that has an impressive net worth? (besides Akers' stake in Manchester) My point is, this is what happens when you have a bunch of middle class wanna be somebody types. They never have the money to do anything on their own, so they try to raid tax dollars. It's disgusting.

Valens?   Thatcher (well his family)? 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 6:16pm
OK Josh--what really sets me off here is that the rest of Council and YOU think so little of this city and our property assets, that you are falling all over yourselves to spend a half mill of taxpayer $$ to restore a prime property location, then GIVE IT AWAY to an out-of-town private enterpreneur(who has paid for his ventures elsewhere). You are pretty much saying that we and our assets are less than worthless, and we cannot rise from our malaise by ourselves. Your Council cronies and yourself are beingconvenient quitters imo, . No fight or toughness whatsoever. 

Why not restore the building to Pendleton specs, then LEASE it to them on-going for $1 oer annum, with continuation contingencies based on performance? If enough conditions and gain result over a 10-year period, THEN sell the building for $1.

I wouldn't expect our ED dept. to value this community as much as many posting here. They have no real tie to the area. They have taken the easy road with every project, selling us out and short to achieve their self-percieved "successes". 

So--this is FAR from a done deal.
Show your professed loved for our community and that particular area by standing up for our worth as people and local opportunity. If Pendleton REALLY wants to be here to make a positive, they will still play along. Then possibly we all can win. Our city WILL recover in some way at some time, and this location could well be very valuable. PLEASE don't throw it away like it/we are nothing.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 6:18pm
Just remember this. Miss Judy wants this, right? She has convinced all her little followers to support her. Lets not forget  het Boy Toy Sammy is an artist! She might be working towards another place for him to show off his art!! In my opinion everyone on City Council needs to go! Sorry Josh you ar disappointment1 jmo
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 8:05pm

Mr. Laubach:

As far as leaving buildings empty and subject to breeding crime, you are ignoring a big part of the equation and that is the anti-business attitude by certain factions at City Hall.

The reason, and the ONLY reason, that many businesses have been kept out of Middletown is that city hall has kept them out.

Case in point? Middletown Area Senior Citizens wanted to stay downtown and made a SIX FIGURE offer for the Swallen building. They wanted to have their activities on the main floor and seniors’ apartments on the upper floors. This would’ve meant residents and many visitors downtown. PERFECT! Just what the doctor ordered! City hall said “NO”!

Members of the “snob” clique downtown stop every attempt at non-snob commerce downtown. THAT is why the place remains a crime-ridden ghost town. Stop that and things will change. Squandering the public treasure on repeated attempts on re-packaged playgrounds for the chosen few will NOT change anything but will simply seal our fate.

Sir, you state that you “did not pick the kind of business” and that is true. But please look at who DID “pick the kind of business” and you will find that it is the same ones who have been “picking that kind of business” for years and that it is ALWAYS the SAME “kind of business” to the exclusion of all other kinds of business and it is the “kind of business” that has always failed in downtown Middletown, and THAT is the problem!

THAT is why no one will finance this “kind of business” with their own money here and that is why it is unconscionable to finance it upon the backs of the working poor and their children and grandchildren!

PLEASE, Sir, do the right thing, and lobby your fellow council members to do likewise. Not one of them would risk their own money on such a venture. How can they possibly, in good conscience, keep risking ours?

Then take POSITIVE action and rid City Hall of the anti-business cancer and begin to allow REAL investment by private businesses in our city!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 8:23pm
Josh, what is irritating is that the opinions of those who WANT this are not based on data or facts but rather feelings (I love art, "Wouldn't it be nice to have...", etc.)

But those who DO NOT WANT this project are not opposed to art necessarily but see this as a dollars and cents issue, a common sense issue, and a project that has no reliable data to support it.
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 8:43pm
Sounnds like to me middletown has a lot of people that seem to be able collect imformation on this subject, but not able find solutions. Not sold on this pac deal my self, but  looking back on past moves made by council, that seem to put the city in the position its  in ,with economy in shape its in this probley is not to far off .
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2010 at 12:29am
With all due respect, Tango, there are businessmen and developers who have found solutions and have been willing to risk their own money to implement their visions, BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there?)...

...CITY HALL REFUSES TO ALLOW SUCH INVESTMENT, simply because it doesn't meet the HIDDEN AGENDA of artsy-fartsy, antique, craftsy, high-brow snobbery mandated by their behind-the-scenes "handlers" (MMF et al)!!!

CITY HALL does not care about providing good paying jobs for skill laborers or tradespeople, that may conflict with their desired "sophisticated" image.

If Kohler had his way (and he is well on his way) there would be NO SIGN of commerce or industry anywhere in this city unless it was pre-approved by his friends! What businessman wnats a business that no one can find???

For heaven's sake, some new businesses east of I-75 had to BEG for a temporary variance just to put up signs because job applicants could not find them when those businesses needed to hire people.  That is INSANE, yet our city leaders sat behind their curvy counter with their usual blank looks on their faces, asked no questions, and OK'ed whatever Kohler suggested!!!  This is madness!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 7:58pm
This issue does not have to be approved as it stands, and as an emergency at the next Council meeting.
It is honestly no emergency at all.
Hopefully Council will clear their heads, and take the time to understand that a much more productive arrangement can be made, particularly for their tax-paying constituents.
Maybe a few locals could find a better use for the property, and create more meaningful jobs for other locals.
Maybe stringent conditions could be put on the use ofthis free property, in order to satisfy/justify the cost of refurbishment.
Maybe Council should control the use of $250,000 in taxpayer funds as to how Pendleton(or whomever) desires to modify the structiure. Under the current legislation, couldn't Verdin/Pendleton use this $$ for their Admin salaries/expenses as they choose?

Look at the Beau Verre project.
Beautiful building--exceptional local business--hard-working local owners--but a taxpayer expense that has done little to spike any area recovery. The medicine shop/snack bar couldn't exist though constanly being re-invented. 56 Degrees was a wonderful place that didn't survive.

I love art.
This discussion is really not about "Art" or another effort to create an art district in the area.
Simply look at the Arts Central Foundation.
It is constantly on life support(I have and will support ACF), with really nothing having had any stay power so far.
You can only try something so many times before you have to accept the idea that what you "want" may not be what is needed or will work. Obviously the public response has been underwhelming.

I really have to ? any Councilmember who would approve this project as it is written at this time.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2010 at 11:01pm

I have been reading about this generous offer that our city leaders has decided (for us)to hand  over our tax money so a few of their croonies can dress up and sip wine and act like they are somebody. I just hope that they don't hit a pothole on their way to beautiful downtown Middletowm.

While I was cutting grass today I was thinking about all the conversations that I read last night on the board concerning this decision and it hit me like a ton of rocks that if the council people are so sure of this goldmine that they are so compelled to waste our money on this lark would they be willing to give up their salary they receive for being on council for just one year to show the citizens that they are completely behind this decision. They could reduce their total contribution from the taxpayer's fund and this would show everyone that we could really believe in their confidence in this endeavor.
It's real easy to gamble with other people's money but this way we could see what they are really made of.
Hey council members, are there any takers willing to spend your own dime on this great step forward for Middletown.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 8:44am
Excellent idea tomahawk35. Any council member that votes to approve this waste of tax dollars should be required to invest their council pay to the project.

I noticed Josh stopped responding to posts on here. I guess he thinks we are stupid and believe him when he says he doesn't check this message board.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 9:05am

Great idea, Tomahawk!!! Every council person who has enough confidence in this obvious scam to vote to throw hundreds of thousands of the taxpayers’ dollars down the sewer, should certainly be willing to kick in a few thousand of their own.

They can have their money back after 5 or 6 new restaurants “pop up” (and STAY "popped up" for at least five years) just like they did after Beau Verre sucked up so many hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars so many years ago. Didn’t we hear all of these same predictions of upcoming glory due to art for downtown development back then???

Of course that was a different council and we shouldn’t “look back” now, should we??? Of course not!!! If we “look back” we might learn something, mightn’t we???

NO, rather than “look back” and learn from our errors, “this council” intends to muddle forward and make the exact same dad-gummed mistake that prior councils have made, and WASTE OUR MONEY. “THIS council” would rather inhibit free trade by subsidizing this one, single "packager", thereby FOREVER guaranteeing him a MONOPOLY on art studios, coffee shops, and framing stores within MILES of downtown Middletown!!! This will likely cause HIGHER prices, FEWER “artists”, LESS overall commerce downtown, and concurrently INCREASE poverty, crime, and hasten the decline and the ENTIRE city!!

Good job, city hall!!!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 9:14am
Oops, wait, I got confused!!!  The last time at least three restaurants DID "pop up", but I don't recall more than two at a time nor do I think any of them lasted more than a year or two. did they???

What DID we get for the hundreds of thousands that we "invested" in Beau Verre???

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 10:17am
IMO--it is the "part-time" Council thing that hurts us. These officials aren't compensated enough to allow the position/issues their proper attention/study. Still--our govt. is set up with a "strong" city manager, who is guided by our Council's intent--who should be guided by the citizens' intent. Council is to guide the city manager/admin in the direction preferred by the citizens for the good of the entire community.

Since our city govt./Council/Admin is not really receptive to public opinion, it might be time for the large task of re-structuring just how the municipal branch is to function.

As a whole, the "Arts" concept has been worked very hard down there already.
Throwing more taxpayer $$ at the same concept is ludicrous.

These properties should have been marketed to proven successful LOCAL businesses for a WIDE variety of shopping/service optons. Performance contingencies, while non-existent so far(a HUGE MISTAKE) should be mandatory,strictly monitored in order to recieve any funding.

With these p[owerful 80 "stakeholders" and big-name/$$ organizations in the mix, city funding should actually be little and specialized towards those that need it most and offer the greatest possible economic improvements.

As often with govt., there might be far too few successful business owners involved, and far too many municipal/public sector bureaucrats with little private business experience. Eliminate the big govt./big brother process from economic development. Seldom does it work.

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 11:50am
If they want to spend tax dollars so bad, why don't they try to revive some Middletown staples, like Capozzi's or get Central Pastry to move to the building. Something that will really bring traffic down there. These art lovers do not have any real net worth to be buying valuable "works of art", like someone else said, they're just wanting to throw little wine tasting parties so they can act important. 20 years from now, 99% of any art that could come from that PAC place will be at garage sales for $1.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 8:01pm
While I have aurgued with many on this board over time on different issues it was mostly for fun. What is being discussed here are serious issues and I could not agree more  with Spider. I have a vested interest in this community, a home owner, manager of a bog box, and haviing a student that is a senior this year at MHS, and a spouse employed by the schools. She takes pride in her sucesses and works hard to motivate others to do the same.
I do believe that is time that we all unite and we all show up at a council meeting and demand time to speak or demand their resignations. This city will not survive another year of this crap.

Spider you can count on me,,call me or email me and lets get a group together and approch council with othe real demand os the community. I am a realist and know that you cannot relive the past, but there is no reason we cannot rise out of the septic tank and be an All American City again.

I'm willing, how about the rest of you?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 8:33pm
Gee, I am shy Embarrassed ...and usually reluctant to get involved in community affairs or to state my opinions publicly Stern%20Smile ... but let me check my calender, and I'll consider it.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 9:15pm
Mike, I don't think shy is in your vocabulary!!! LOL
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 10:53pm
Count me in
plum8up View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plum8up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2010 at 11:08pm
as a middletown taxpayer im also not thrilled about more tax dollers being spent downtown.but you have to start somewhere and i like the way the city has been tearing down junk propertys.i think for the first time in a long time downtown is on the way up.i really like what larry lewis has done with that corner high rise.and broad street bash has shown people will go downtown for the right reasons.i also know laubach and marconi personally and laubach has only the best interests of middletown at heart and has tried to overcome alot of terrible desicions made by the last council.would you really rather have marconi back? i mean at least laubach is a straight shooter.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 3:13am

Plum: I trust that you raise what you believe to be legitimate points. I think that you, along with the rest of us (and, indeed, all citizens) deserve any concerns to be addressed in a straightforward manner by the city. However, I doubt that anyone’s concerns will be addressed by anyone from city hall. Please allow me to address your comments/concerns as straightforwardly as I can:

You say:

“as a middletown taxpayer im also not thrilled about more tax dollers being spent downtown.but you have to start somewhere and i like the way the city has been tearing down junk propertys.”

Some would agree with this, some would disagree. I do know for a fact that there were offers of hundreds of thousands of dollars made for some of the properties downtown that have been razed. These offers were summarily rejected by city officials because the uses (such as apartments for senior citizens and an enhanced Seniors’ Center) did not “meet certain city officials liking”. Both downtown and throughout the city, certain city officials have their minds made up what they want, without regard for the commercial realities of the twenty-first century world. At this point, I am almost ready to agree that to bulldoze the entire area formerly known as “downtown”, including city hall, might be the best thing for the entire city.

You continue:

“i think for the first time in a long time downtown is on the way up.“

I would agree with you, but only if city hall would open the entire area up for free market, commercial development. The problem is, city hall will not keep their biased noses out of it and continue to insist on following a taxpayer-subsidized, failed model that most likely ensures failure and at best guarantees limited success for a single, subsidized business with which no other private businesses will be able to compete.

You continue:

“i really like what larry lewis has done with that corner high rise.”

I am unsure which high rise you mean. I searched the records of the Butler County Auditor and found over 50 properties owned by “Lewis Consolidated”, including 1108, 1120, 1119 and 1123 Central Avenue. It does appear from the street that some remodeling has gone on (besides the taxpayer subsidized facades) to the buildings on the south side of the street, but I have no other knowledge of these properties, or their proposed uses, so I cannot comment further.  Perhaps you could enlighten us???

You continue:

“and broad street bash has shown people will go downtown for the right reasons.”

Yes, I agree!!! You are correct, which means that city hall is once again WRONG!!! Perhaps you will recall that “The Bash” was NOT a brainstorm of city hall but was the idea and work product of the PRIVATE SECTOR, with very little assistance from city hall and NO TAXPAYER SUBSIDY!!! I think that you also seem to emphasize the point that many here have been making. The THOUSANDS of people in the crowds at the Broad Street Bashes are NOT the same people that you would see at any local art exhibit, are they? Do you EVER expect a local art exhibit to attract a crowd in the THOUSANDS that will purchase over THREE THOUSAND bottles of beer, or spend over TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS total (overall) in just a few hours on ANYTHING???

The last art auction that I recall in Middletown was at MUM during their 40th anniversary gala. I’d estimate that the attendance was WAY less than a thousand, that the actual number of bidders was less than one hundred. (NOTE 1: Most of the tuxedoed and gowned attendees were crowded around the FREE “champagne and shrimp” during the actual auction.) (NOTE 2: For those of you who think that I am an “art-hating cheapskate”, please be informed that I was the successful bidder on a teapot by a local artisan at this affair, AND I swilled NONE of the free booze.) Anyway, the point is, compare the crowds at The Bash to the crowds drawn by ANY local “arts” affair and then examine your statement again: “and Broad Street Bash has shown people will go downtown for the right reasons.” Unfortunately, the Pendleton Arts Center (PAC) is NOT The Broad Street Bash, and The Bash doesn’t even need a HALF MILLION DOLLAR TAX PAYER SUBSIDY!!!   The PAC is NOT the "right reason!!!"

Next, you state:

“i also know laubach and marconi personally and laubach has only the best interests of middletown at heart…”

That is what I thought about Mr. Laubach up until now, but I believe that he is making a grave mistake on this one! Also, having the city’s best interest at heart does NOT mean that he is always correct.

You continue:

“…and [Laubach] has tried to overcome alot of terrible desicions made by the last council.

That may be what you think, but Mr. Laubach has repeated stated that “there is no use in looking back at what past councils have done.”  In this case, if Mr. Laubach would “look back“, he would be able to clearly see that he is about to repeat the same mistake that past council persons, including Mr. Marconi, have made! Beau Verre was heavily subsidized by the tapayers, just as PAC is about to be. What has been the return to the taxpayers? All of the arts, and all of the history projects, and all of the Olde Tyme shenanigans and all of the “Main Street stakesholders” cr*p have ALL been heavily subsidized by the taxpayers over and over and over, and always with no return. Any one who tries to state differently should be asked WHY we still have any empty downtown EXCEPT on the few nights every summer for The Bash!!! Can YOU, Plum, tell us why???

In closing, you state:

“would you really rather have marconi back? i mean at least laubach is a straight shooter”

NO! And this has nothing to do with Marconi, except that if Laubach would look back, he would see that this is one of the things that he would’ve said Marconi was doing WRONG! Laubach seems to have been straight shooter--so far. But this time he is clearly wrong!!! Laubach has even invoked the spirit of Adam Smith, an economist who would ABHOR a move such as the proposed taxpayer-subsidized PAC monopoly. Laubach needs to re-read Adam Smith, re-think his position, seek advice OUTside city hall, lobby his colleagues and DEFEAT THIS DOWNTOWN-KILLING proposition!!!

And Plum, if you calmly study the facts, you will agree. Re-read you own statements. The answer lies right within them!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic