FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The State of the City of Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The State of the City of Middletown
    Posted: Feb 14 2008 at 2:47pm
"The state of Middletown is "good" and the city's best days are just ahead," said the new Middletown Mayor, Lawrence P. Mulligan Jr.

Some firsts the mayor highlighted include:

-First female city mananger
-Two black women elected to city council
-First former city manager elected to council

Top things helping Middletown:
-Downtown Revitalization Efforts
-Resaissance District on East End
-Miami University Middletown Campus
-1/4 percent Safety Levy Approval

Mayor Mulligan concluded that there is a 'door of hope' for Middletown.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2008 at 12:38pm
I am new to Middletown within the past year, and I am impressed with the effort being put into putting the city back on the map...I think this is an exciting time to live here and look forward to seeing the positive changes I think are going to be made.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2008 at 2:36pm
I have to agree, the city has momentum right now. Hope they can keep it up!

Here is a video from Middletown's past:

Hope for Middletown, a history with sounds and vision.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2008 at 3:56pm
I have been working in Middetown for many years now and it is truly great to see all the efforts being made to unify the city.  Many times it was downtown vs the east end.  Nice to see everyone working together and focused.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2008 at 3:17pm
Gemneye7-I would like to offer a different perspective for you. This is coming from a person who was born in 1948 in this city. I have seen the city change dramatically and in some cases, not for the better. In the 50's, this town was dominated by Armco Steel/paper mill families, had little crime, people were friendly, pee wee football and knothole baseball were going full tilt at Smith Park, the roads were kept up, and we had an "All American" town in 1958. In the 60's, we had Miami U-Middletown start(1966), many activities for high school/young people to do in town, dances at the "Inferno" in the basement of the old YMCA building(since torn down) at the corner of Broad and Manchester Ave. Town still was friendly, and Armco/paper mills still dominated the employment scene. Like the 50's, there was plenty of shopping choices in the 60's.The boulevard systems were being developed such as Briel, University, Roosevelt. No need to leave town for shopping selection. The 70's brought some tension in some parts of the community and outside influences started to permeate the town. The 80's saw the beginning of the decline of the schools and the city as to competency in city leadership. School superintendents came and went and none were very dynamic and ran a good system.City council (commission at the time) made poor decisions and the start of the money issues began. The 90's to current haven't seen any improvement in comparison to the competence level of the city government on the 50's/60' and 70's. We(the voters) haven't done a very good job at electing candidates that could make the right call at the right time.We suffer to this day because of the lack of quality in the 80's to current candidates. We can't seem to find enough dynamic people to occupy key offices to make a real difference, Most seem to fill a seat during their tenure on school board or council and don't seem to accomplish very much. These are merely observations from a long time, concerned citizen that has seen many phases of this city and is very disappointed now after many years of believing that this was the best town in the world in all aspects.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2008 at 8:40am

QUOTE=John Beagle:
Top things helping Middletown:
-Downtown Revitalization Efforts
-Resaissance District on East End
-Miami University Middletown Campus
-1/4 percent Safety Levy Approval

Mayor Mulligan concluded that there is a 'door of hope' for Middletown. /QUOTE]

Mr. Beagle:

Since I assume that you agree with the mayor (after all, you did quote him), I would like to take this opportunity to respectfully disagree with the both of you on two of the four items, and to comment on a third, as I am quite perplexed as to exactly how they can be considered to be helping Middletown.

First, let us examine Downtown Revitalization Efforts.

In my view, these efforts at revitalization began in the mid-seventies, before I moved out of the area for a long period. It began with the so-called stakeholders (those with a personal financial interest in downtown property or businesses) trying to convince the legislative authority (city commission/city council) to invest OTHER PEOPLEs money (those other people being the taxpayers or bag holders) into whatever scheme or idea these stakeholders had that they felt was too risky for their own money. This has now continued for over THIRTY YEARS! Yet, we bag holders are still being told to be patient. Now Mr. Beagle, Im sure that you will agree that Middletown has had (and still does have) many very rich and competent developers who have made literal fortunes exercising their visions and judgments developing commercial, residential, and even industrial property in and around Middletown. Doesnt anyone else find it odd that not even ONE of these veritable LEGENDS of local business has seen the merit in downtown Middletown with enough conviction to invest THEIR money in the area? Hasnt anyone asked themselves why, if downtown Middletown is such a gem, developers have not lined up to invest during the last thirty-plus years? But even when such shrewd, successful developers who have the means, the acumen, the track record, and the civic pride to donate MILLIONS to local worthy causes cannot find a reason to invest, somehow a parade of individuals, five or seven at a time, with NO such credentials think that THEY have the know-how just because they sit down in a city hall chair. They think that somehow THAT makes them smarter than the ones who have actually made fortunes in development. And the ONLY idea throughout the years has been to THROW MONEY AT IT! Hasnt insanity been defined as doing the same thing over and over and over again while expecting a different result? And consider the total cost! All of the taxpayers money invested in downtown since the mid-seventies, if converted into 2008 dollars equals a NINE figure total! (And yes, that is NINE digits to the LEFT of the decimal point! So, I ask you, exactly HOW has this helped Middletown? In fact, it is nearly the same, in 2008 dollars, as the amount needed to put EVERY LANE-MILE of Middletowns roads and streets into tip-top, first-class condition!

So, how much MORE of the bag holders money do you think should be spent?

Now please do NOT misunderstand. I am NOT against downtown development! I just believe that the same people who have the visions and want the rewards should do it with their OWN money! The stakeholders should also be the bag holders! Fair enough?

Next, lets look at the percent Safety Levy Approval.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear: In my humble opinion, Middletown does need MORE police and fire resources, both as far as manpower and as far as physical plant repairs/replacement. I recall the spring of 2007, just before the special election, when the local politicians were promoting the 0.75% payroll tax increase. Out of the NINE million dollars per year that they said this would bring in, they said that only $500,000.00 per year would go to police and fire, AND they said that<12>

Share Topic