FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allen, Picard, Becker,Mayor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allen, Picard, Becker,Mayor
    Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 5:02pm

Can you explain why you voted to allow outsiders on our broads and commission to have a vote as to what happens in Middletown. After three members of the community stood before you and asked you not to, while no community members showed up in favor of this you still voted to allow tis to happen. WHY? Why not allow them to just be an adviser to a broad filled with citizens from Middletown, why give the power to vote?

Yes I understand that there are business owners that live outside the city and have a vested interest in Middletown, fine make an exception to the rule * If you live outside of Middletown, but own a business in Middletown you can serve on a broad or commission.  You sat there last night and made arguments as to why we should allow out of towner's to serve, but never answered why they can’t just be an adviser with no vote....Explain it!!

It sounds like to me we have a few people already serving on broads and commission that are from out of town, even through our laws say that we were not allowed to do this, care to explain this Mr. Mayor?

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 9:24pm
It sounds to me like they do this precisely because of a lack of volunteers to fill the Board posts, Randy, not because there are people they are trying to keep off the boards.  Additionally, I would MUCH rather have a business owner, who has some perspective on how to run a successful enterprise (but happens to live out of town) than exclude the business owner in favor of some yahoo whose only credential is that he happens to live in Middletown. 

The point I'm trying to make here is that a person's residence does not mean that they're automatically the best person to serve on a Board, particularly if the MIddletown residents who want to serve on the Board are neither qualified nor competent.  I am not speaking about anyone in particular, just in generalities. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 9:46pm
VOR there was no requirement to own a business in Middletown to serve on Boards/Commissions it is basically open to anyone who wants to be on one no matter where they live.  Also the main Board that was discussed was to have someone serve on the Cemetery Board who is an expert at running cemeteries, as Middletown doesn't have an expert.  I heard no mention of a lack of people to serve.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:38pm
I realize that there was no requirement of owning a business to serve on a Board, I was responding to Randy's example of a business owner as a person who might be interested in serving on a Board even if he didn't live in the city. 

And then I offered the lack of people willing to serve (who are capable and have the right experience/skill set--not just anyone who happens to be from Middletown) as a likely reason why the idea of opening all Boards to non-residents isn't a bad idea.

Consider this--we pay non-resident city employees (police, firefighters, and others) to carry out the business of the city, so why not let unpaid volunteers also carry out the business of the city? 

I realize that perhaps service on a Board can involve setting policy, which police and fire employees do not do, but the ultimate authority on spending and policy will still rest with City Council, which is (rightly) comprised of residents, elected by residents.  So in this case the final check is with council, where it belongs.  If a knowledgeable outsider wants to serve MIddletown (free labor for the city) then so be it. 
Kelly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:39pm
Voice of Reason-There are no lack of volunteers for Board posts; however, there is a lack of volunteers suitable for the "4" on the council and Ms.Gilleland. Trust me - a member of my family is on one of the boards and there is never a lack of folks who want to get "on board." Are they experts? No...but then the only 2 criteria for President of the United States is to be a US citizen and to be at least 35 years old...but... I digress.

There was also the instance when this family member wanted to be on more than one board but was told they could only be on one board...period. After research, obviously there are those who serve on 1, 2 and even 3 boards. We did this research a few years ago and discovered at the same time (much to our surprise) that there were several on boards/committees who were not from Middletown Proper.  
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:13pm
Voice of Reason:
 Let me, once again, paste an excerpt copid EXACTLY from the City of Middletown's actual

"APPLICATION FOR CITY BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS":

Please use the following space to identify any information which may assist the City Council in considering you for appointment, keeping in mind that most of the Boards and Commissions do not require specialized skills other than a strong interest in and desire to serve the Middletown City Government and the citizens of this community.

Please note that the "emphasis" (the underlining) was NOT added by me, but was copied EXACTLY as it exists on the actual City application form!!! 
Perhaps the four council members who insist on all of this "expertise" should direct the "maker of forms" to revise this application form so all of the inept Middletonians will stop applying!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:25pm

Mike, I don't deny that officially the only requirement is "a strong interest in and desire to serve..., etc." but, unfortunately, there are likely to be a number of ill-qaulified people who think they are capable of serving on a Board but who wouldn't do the city any good. 

It wouldn't make much sense to have a form that said: "If you're stupid, don't apply to be on one of our Boards, even though you may have a strong interest in and desire to serve..., etc." 

And all else equal, what would you rather have--an out of towner with specialized skill/high intellect on a Board or a local who is of average (or below average) intelligence but really wants to be on the Board?  I would vote for the well-qualified non-resident and leave it up to Council to have the final say on policy that the Board sets. 

By the way, who was it that told your relative that she could only be on one board?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:30pm

My last question was for you, Kelly, I realized later that I wasn't clear on that.  And to your point about candidates who are suitable for the '4' on the Board--what if their judgment is correct in most cases? 

I think it is reasonable to assume that these 4, with their experience as attorneys, bankers, and police chief would actually make pretty good selections to most Board posts. 
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 6:42am
VOR is this why the4 could not handle the cemetery on 1st and had to make a board for that. They may  be good at their job but not at policy making.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 6:47am
C'mon VOR. You state- "I think it is reasonable to assume that these 4, with their experience as attorneys, bankers, and police chief would actually make pretty good selections to most Board posts."- Really? Considering the decisions that these "bankers","lawyers" and "police chief" have made to date, it would appear that the profession of the councilperson/board member has nothing to do with competent decision-making. Because a councilperson/board member is a so-called "professional" doesn't give them a license to reign as a decision-making guru. There are many people out there that are not considered "professionals" nor are "college educated" that are perfectly capable of understanding what is presented to them, asking the appropriate questions and making rational, competent decisions just as effectively as any "professional". Doesn't common sense and logic trump "professional status" in matters like this? Perhaps we should get away from stereotyping a person with leadership skills as having a higher education as a requirement. If we continue to do that, don't we limit our selection and exclude some potential logic being injected into these boards? In over 42 years, I have worked around many "highly educated" people in the corporate world. Some had no clue what common sense nor logic was about. Most were Chem E's at Procter.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 8:54am

Ok we will use the Middletown Cemetery as the example of this debate.

I agree with Mr. Laubach…if the City was doing its job we wouldn’t need a board to oversee the problems at this cemetery.

However after 60 years it is now clear to the citizens and family members of those buried in this cemetery that the City is not willing to solve the many problems concerning this cemetery.

In 1995 Mr. Wehr (THE EXPERT) and others started restoration at the cemetery and at that time Mr. Wehr (THE EXPERT) explained in detail to the City what needed to be completed at the cemetery…30 days later the City stopped the project and ignored
all of Mr. Wehr’s (THE EXPERT) advice, requests and suggestions.

The Middletown Cemetery Committee during 2005-2010 sent photos and detailed lists to the City requesting action on many of the problems at the cemetery. We were ignored and the City refused to take action to solve the problems. We contacted Mr. Armbruster since the cemetery was in the 1st Ward and he took no action. The family member called and emailed council members and the City Manager and their requests fell on deaf ears.

The Middletown Cemetery Committee in 2009 presented a petition with 250 signatures to City Council and this request also fell on deaf ears and no action was taken.

In 2009-2010 the City met with Mr. Wehr (THE EXPERT) numerous times concerning the problems at the cemetery and once again they choose to ignore
his expert advice.

So we now have the Middletown Cemetery Board with NO POWER and NO BUDGET and a board that has been hand picked by City Council. Again the families of those buried in this cemetery will have no voice.

To now require that the laws of Middletown be changed so Mr, Wehr (THE EXPERT) can be chairman of the Middletown Cemetery Board is a joke since the City has
INGORED
his advice for the past 15 years.

Does anyone on this blog believe that the City will now take action on the problems at the
Middletown Cemetery
just because Mr. Wehr as chairman of this board gives them his EXPERT ADVICE?

It is my opinion that the City wanted the laws changed for other reasons and simply used the
Middletown Cemetery as a way to obtain more power over the current boards.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 9:56am
Voice of Reason
For the past
60 years we have had council members from many professions and not one has been able or willing to step up and solve the problems at the cemetery.
In 2005 when I presented my 3 Year Restoration Plan for the
Middletown Cemetery to the City of Middletown, Middletown Community Foundation and the Middletown Historical Society…not one requested to see my resume.
Over the past 6 years while I have been researching and correcting the official burial records of the
Middletown Cemetery...not one city official has requested to see my resume.
In 2009 when the City needed to know about the storm damage at the
Middletown Cemetery they requested that I meet with the FEMA rep at the cemetery and provide him with the info, photos of damaged tombstones and quotes for repair of the tombstones...the City didn't request to see my resume that time either. 
...and yet the City is not willing to take my advice because I'm not an EXPERT on the Middletown Cemetery. LOL LOL LOL

Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 11:10am

I don’t think anyone that doesn’t live in Middletown should be on any Middletown board. One reason is that if you don’t pay all local taxes it is easy to suggest spending other peoples money. Another reason is that if you don’t have to live with the consequences of your proposals, you may take the easy way out. Just look what our city has become by having a bunch of carpetbaggers making the decisions. Middletown being the section 8 slum capitol of Ohio on top of the Forbes fastest dying list is no problem for the carpetbaggers because they go home to Mason, Monroe or somewhere else where they don’t have to live with the destruction they have forced on Middletown.

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 10:04pm
VietVet, I do not deny that an education is not necessary for making sound decisions; however, AJ has prettty clearly made some very poor decisions in his short span as a council member--his vindictive comment about the city employee's death, the bizarre encounter he had with the police and his sister, to name a few instances. 

As far as the other 4 go in terms of representing the city and making policy, consider this--if a representative of a major company, say an auto manufacturer or other company was considering Middletown as a site for a new location and wanted to meet with some members of city council--which 3 members of council would you want representing the city at such a meeting?  I would much rather have any of those 4 represent Middletown and be the face of the city than the other 3. 

There are some very revealing qualities about the others that I think are enlightening.  First, why didn't Scott Jones ever finish law school after attending for 2+ years?  It's not as though you have to be a lawyer to make good decisions (I agree with you there, there are plenty of bad leaders that get elected that are lawyers), but to go for more than two years and never finish is bizarre--it's not as though you only get one chance, you can always finish up at some point in the future, but it is a total waste to not finish and not pass the bar somewhere. 

Also, I seem to remember AJ saying that he would get a "degree" and be firefighter.  First off, attending a 6 week course at Butler Tech/Sinclair or wherever he finished up is not a degree, and it is very illuminating about AJ's lack of awareness and understanding of matters if he considers that a "degree" on par with a college degree.  Secondly, if he does wish to be a firefighter, why does AJ seem to have antagonized Becker so much in the past?  Doesn't he realize that Becker is so well connected to all the local police/fire leadership?  Becker could black ball him for life if he wished (and maybe he already has).  It strikes me as foolish for someone to act that way, even if he doesn't really care for Becker.  This is pretty basic, and AJ's lack of foresight tells me a lot. 
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Voice of Reason Voice of Reason wrote:

My last question was for you, Kelly, I realized later that I wasn't clear on that.  And to your point about candidates who are suitable for the '4' on the Board--what if their judgment is correct in most cases? 

I think it is reasonable to assume that these 4, with their experience as attorneys, bankers, and police chief would actually make pretty good selections to most Board posts. 
When does being a attorney,banker,or police cheif make one honorabe ?  It doesn't matter what occupation a person is involved in if that person isn't doing the job that the voters expect ,which first is to serve the majority of the people not the few. It doesn't take a blind person to see that this is a stacked deck and the dealers are double-dealing.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 11:00pm

VietVet, I do not deny that an education is not necessary for making sound decisions; however, AJ has prettty clearly made some very poor decisions in his short span as a council member--his vindictive comment about the city employee's death, the bizarre encounter he had with the police and his sister, to name a few instances. 

As far as the other 4 go in terms of representing the city and making policy, consider this--if a representative of a major company, say an auto manufacturer or other company was considering Middletown as a site for a new location and wanted to meet with some members of city council--which 3 members of council would you want representing the city at such a meeting?  I would much rather have any of those 4 represent Middletown and be the face of the city than the other 3. 

There are some very revealing qualities about the others that I think are enlightening.  First, why didn't Scott Jones ever finish law school after attending for 2+ years?  It's not as though you have to be a lawyer to make good decisions (I agree with you there, there are plenty of bad leaders that get elected that are lawyers), but to go for more than two years and never finish is bizarre--it's not as though you only get one chance, you can always finish up at some point in the future, but it is a total waste to not finish and not pass the bar somewhere. 

Also, I seem to remember AJ saying that he would get a "degree" and be firefighter.  First off, attending a 6 week course at Butler Tech/Sinclair or wherever he finished up is not a degree, and it is very illuminating about AJ's lack of awareness and understanding of matters if he considers that a "degree" on par with a college degree.  Secondly, if he does wish to be a firefighter, why does AJ seem to have antagonized Becker so much in the past?  Doesn't he realize that Becker is so well connected to all the local police/fire leadership?  Becker could black ball him for life if he wished (and maybe he already has).  It strikes me as foolish for someone to act that way, even if he doesn't really care for Becker.  This is pretty basic, and AJ's lack of foresight tells me a lot. 
Maybe AJ is on his way to be the next mayor. Looks like the same path that got Sciavone there.
Anita Scott Jones View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Scott Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 11:02pm
Voice of Reason,
I went to law school because I had been working in the District Attorney's Office for quite some time and decided to take some law classes. I never had any intentions of practicing law. I did not finish law school because I was in accident where my car was hit by an 18 wheeler.  I spent two years in therapy and could not attend classes. After that, I severed my achilles tendon and spent another two years learning how to walk again.  After recovering, my life took a different turn and then I moved here to assist my mother-in-law who was ill at the time.  When I moved here,  I opted to obtain my MBA and pursue a Doctorate in Education.  There are plenty of people with law degrees who have never prosecuted a case or been in a court room. As for my colleagues, at least the seven of us got in the ring and at some point, we all displease someone.  We are individuals with differing viewpoints and I trust that my colleagues and I will get past this bend in the road and move forward. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 11:10pm

I don't think that we will have a problem with a major company inqiuring about locating to this town with the terrible roads,high section 8 housing, no entertainment,poor school system,and the high taxes.This sounds more like the voice of crap instead of reason.
Anita Scott Jones View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Scott Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 11:14pm
As far as finishing up law school at some point in the future, it depends.  If you attended law school inone state and move to another, you may have some credits transfer, some not.  Also, you must take each sttes bar exam. They are different.  I never intended to practice law. Ii worked for nearly 20 years in the District Attorney's Office and I always like learning, therefore, I decided to take law courses.  As for the chip on my shoulder, you are entitled to your opinion.  I have always and will continue to be accessible to the people I serve until I exercise one of the three options I have next year, or a recall is initiated, or life takes a different turn. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:09am
No mention of that huge chip residing on the shoulder of Mr.Picard?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:39am
I believe that chip is of a different material, usually found on the Great  Plains or in the stockyards.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:45am
VOR- For cryin' out loud! AJ is just starting out in life. He has made some poor decisions, certainly. Hell, I'm 62 and still make some poor decisions. There is no age limit on poor decisions being made. We ALL do it, including you. As I understand, the AJ/ sister thing was reported as AJ defending his sister in an altercation and his insistance that it be handled by the courts with his arrest. He is a public figure and made known to the public, his business. He hid nothing. Give him credit for that, at least. He has a right to defend his sister, doesn't he. Wouldn't you if this were your situation?

Again the difference between you and I. I would choose from the group of 3. There is a major non-trust issue with the group of 4. I would have no problem at all sending Ms Scott-Jones, Mr. Smith and Mr. Laubach to the table to represent the city to sit with a new employer and entice them to town. Could any be any more offensive than what Mr. Picard demonstrated the other night? Could any of them be any less animated and disinterested than Becker or Allen? Could any of them be anymore unable to make a decision than what Mulligan demonstrated in refereeing the argument on council the other night? Doubtful.

How do you know that Becker could "black-ball" AJ for life"? How do you know that Becker has the overwhelming respect in the police/firefighters community. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that he wasn't that popular with the personel in the police department when he was running the show. He doesn't have the personality to persuade or influence people. I would venture to guess he turns many people off with his attitude and personality and he probably has many detractors out there in the police/firefighter professions. He doesn't have to stay in this area to continue his quest to be a firefighter, does he?

Ms. Scott-Jones and her degree? That's her business. It she has an MBA, she's done much better than I.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:54am
Voice of Reason,
        Reason with this! Anita Scott Jones does more for this city in any one week than all of the council members combined do in a month. She obviously is well educated and is the VOICE OF REASON for our citizenry.  She also is obviously not a puppet like the other four you seem to want her to be.
        When I was young, I started out to be a lawyer and took a semester of  prelaw. When I listened and observed the lecturing judges and attorneys, It was obvious to me that I couldn't be a lawyer and die and go to heaven.   So, I decided to turn my education in another direction and have never regretted it . No, we need more of the character,integrity, ability and energy of Anita Scott Jones. Also, you mistake the chip on her shoulder for the block in her brain that says , "do no harm to my city and its citizens".
          Paul Nagy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 9:42am
AMEN to that post Mr. Nagy Thumbs%20Up
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 2:26pm

VOR, you say that in the end having a outsider to Middletown sit on our broads is no bid deal because the final decision rest with council, when it comes to any changes that this person a may suggest. Well when the council is split 4-3 and the 4 deciding with this outsider I say it does matter. When you people open your eyes and see what is happening in this city.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic