Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sewers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewers
    Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 5:32am

Mr. Dave
I have a little question for you before you decide to dump this 120 million dollar debt on the residents of Middletown.,,
Where is ALL the money that you have been collecting from us for years to pay for this new sewer system???
And I really don’t want your double talking canned answer this time.
I want to SEE ALL the numbers where these funds have been spent.

Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 12:16pm
Miss Vivian and Nick Kidd --

Thanks to both of you for enlightening many of us on this interesting little matter.

Clap Clap Clap
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 10:31pm

Vivian and Nelson, the Sewer Separation Fund that the city has been collecting for about thirty five years is just part of the corruption involved with the combined sewer system. During Tuesday’s meeting Becker said that for years they had raised sewer rates higher and faster than needed, to get ahead of the cost of the separation. Lastly, when the city put the storm water sewer charges on our water bills they said that that $3 million a year would be used for sewer separation. City council, where are the hundreds of millions of dollars you’ve collected for this project? These are enterprise funds that have been misappropriated. Council, since you don’t want to micro-manage what happens in the city building, I hope you are ready to take personal responsibility for these misappropriations and/or thefts from these funds. I personally am tired of paying three times for something and the city government still not doing the job.

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 5:19am
GOD..forgive..certain..arrogant..and..wasteful..One..Donham..Plaza..senior..level..bureaucrats.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 6:32am
If all of these little money transfers, misappropriations and mishandling of the city monies are occuring, why does Carolus announce each year that the auditor has given the city two thumbs up on the budget reviews. If you folks know this to be happening, why can't an auditor find these discrepancies during the audit? Or, is the auditor firm good buddies with the city and "conveniently" overlooks these things? Perhaps a call to Columbus for a state audit is needed.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 9:07pm

Nelson, Ginger Smith was paid out of the Auto & Gas Fund for years. When I asked about this I was told that she was paid out of the fund where she spent the majority of her time. This appeared strange to me, since the city hadn’t even patched a pot hole for twenty years. I wondered how many more city employees spent the majority of their time doing nothing and being paid out of a fund that should be improving Middletown?

VietVet, The city’s auditor just checks to see that the style and correct forms are used. They do not check to see that money is spent correctly. I think getting the State Auditor to find how all this money has disappeared is the next step to hold the Council and administration accountable. How many of the MUSA’ers will sign a letter to the State Auditor and the Attorney General asking for an audit and to get control of the corruption?

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 9:31pm
I am  willing
warmandfuzzy View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmandfuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 11:50pm
Being that I'm realitivly new to Middletown, I haven't felt qualified to enter in to many of the discussions on this board. This thread however, not only makes me angry as a taxpayer (if these allegations are true), it makes me question why the heck those of you who have known about these misappropriations (Nelson, and Nick Kidd and others), haven't taken steps to bring this before the Auditor/Attorney General before now? Why are you posting on a message board instead of taking steps to initiate an investigation into this?  Why is this kind of corruption allowed to continue? Is there something or someone that everyone in this town is afraid of? I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect to any of you, but this just doesn't make sense to me.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 1:42am
The sewer tax has been around for 35 YEARS??? I thought it was newer than that. That is a good question.. how come there were no investigations a long time ago? I need to build a moat around my place so I don't get charged for rain water running off my house and into the storm drain :(
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 7:00am
Where do I sign to have an independent state auditor brought to Middletown, Nick?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 8:45am

The City removed $500 from the Middletown Cemetery Fund without my knowledge or permission. I called several council members and requested that they investigate the matter…haven’t heard a word since. They also refused to investigate the removal of the $5,000 worth of plants that were removed from the cemetery.
So if the council won’t investigate these small problems what makes you think they will investigate a much larger amount of money missing from all these funds?

I'll sign for a full investigation of City funds 

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 4:11am
Sign me up to sign.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

So if the council won’t investigate these small problems what makes you think they will investigate a much larger amount of money missing from all these funds?

Because if it were worth something much larger, it would actually be worth their time!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 9:19am
Support
It is the job of the City Council to investigate any and all missing funds..period
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 6:52am
This is what Hamilton County is doing to get around the high price tag of EPA Consent to Creed to separate storm sewer water. As a result this will save billions of dollars for Hamilton County. 

http://www.epa.gov/region5/water/lowermillcreek/

Hamilton County, Ohio — Revised Original Lower Mill Creek Sewer Overflow Partial Remedy

Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati
(Hamilton County, Ohio)

Contact Information

For questions and additional information, contact:

Sudhir Desai
(desai.sudhir@epa.gov)
312-886-6704 or 800-621-8431, 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., weekdays

In January 2010 EPA approved a Wet Weather Improvement Plan (WWIP) to deal with combined sewer overflows (CSOs) and other wet weather discharge issues in Hamilton County, Ohio and the City of Cincinnati.  The WWIP addressed CSO discharges throughout the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) service area, including the Lower Mill Creek drainage areas.  The WWIP included a provision that provided that the Defendants could develop and submit for approval an alternative CSO control plan for the Lower Mill Creek portion of the service area.  The alternative plan could be approved if the revised plan provides equal or greater control of CSO annual volume as the original plan and can be completed by the established end date.

On December 18, 2012, the Defendants proposed a revised plan for addressing CSOs in the Lower Mill Creek service area (referred to as the “Revised Original LMCPR”). The proposed Revised Original LMCPR consisted of revised Attachments 1A, 1B, 1C and 2 to the WWIP, and a detailed technical document providing engineering and cost information on the proposed alternative plan. EPA posted the proposed alternative plan on this website, along with supporting information, and requested public comments on the alternative plan.

The Regulators have reviewed Defendants’ proposal, the comments received, and supplemental information provided by the Defendants on questions and issues raised by commenters.  In a letter dated May 30, 2013 EPA, on behalf of the team of regulators (U.S. EPA, State of Ohio, and ORSANCO) approved the Revised Original LMCPR.

Legal history

The revised Lower Mill Creek water plan was originally prompted by two court orders to reduce sewer overflows in the area served by the Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati. In 2010, the U.S. District Court entered an amendment to those orders. The amendment requires Hamilton County and the city of Cincinnati to implement what was originally a $3.3 billion remedy that was referred to as the "Wet Weather Improvement Program" or WWIP. The WWIP will address billions of gallons of untreated overflows discharging to local water bodies and the Ohio River each year.

In the legal amendment, EPA agreed to a phased-in schedule because of the high cost of the cleanup measures and the financial burden in the form of higher water rates it will put on area businesses and residents. The amendments also allowed the county and city to propose a money-saving alternative approach to deal with overflows in the Lower Mill Creek portion of the sewer district's service area.

Revised plan

The Revised Original LMCPR proposes to employ a strategic separation approach implemented on a watershed-by-watershed basis. In selected watersheds, stormwater would be removed from the wastewater collection system through a combination of strategic sewer separattion, green infrastructure and other methods. Around one stream called Lick Run, a new green corridor was proposed in the Revised Original LMCPR that would allow for overland flow of stormwater. The Lick Run green corridor could potentially provide valuable community benefits to distressed community areas, in addition to serving as a significant component of the wet weather control program.

One requirement of the original wet weather improvement program was for the Defendants  to construct a deep tunnel structure to store and channel excess stormwater. With this approval of the Revised Original LMCPR , the deep tunnel will not need to be built as part of the interim remedy. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic