FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verdin PAC Project Experiences Delays

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verdin PAC Project Experiences Delays
    Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 11:12pm

Pendleton Art Center project experiences delays

By Eric Robinette and Jessica Heffner 
and Hannah Poturalski, Staff Writer Staff Writers 9:02 PM Sunday, November 21, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — The Pendleton Arts Center plans to open its doors on Saturday, but the doors are all that will open for now.

Jim Verdin, the founder of the center, said late last week that he plans to have the building open during TV Middletown’s Home for the Holidays Santa Parade at 5 p.m. that day.

“I’m still working with the city on the final documents. They should be settled probably (this) week,” Verdin said.

During the parade, the buidling at 7 N. Broad St. would have its “doors open with sort of the spaces put in so people can look at the size of the spaces. We’ll be in the building showing people the plans and how it’s going,” Verdin said.

Verdin previously said he planned to have the building open in November, but that the permit process with the city took longer than he thought it would.

“There’s not an issue. There’s just a lot of people involved,” he said.

Little renovation has been performed on the building, though the city has remediated some mold and abestos issues, said Mike Robinette, Middletown economic development director.

“Things are still moving forward. I think ideally we would have liked to be open by Thanksgiving but that was never a firm date,” Robinette said.

Gathering estimates for the renovations needed for the future art center, which is in the old Armco building, also have taken longer than expected. However, Robinette said the work should be able to be completed within the limitations of the funds being provided for the project.

The city is providing a $200,000 loan to the Pendletown Art Center for interior improvements through the money comes from an Urban Development Action Grant. That loan would be forgivable after 10 years of PAC operation. The city also will spend about $250,000 on repairs using money from the Downtown Improvement Fund.

While these details were approved by City Council in August, the final agreement between Verdin and the city will be signed today, Robinette said.

Also complicating matters was the project to adorn the exterior of the building with 200 car hoods, in a sculpture that will be designed to catch nationwide attention and tie into the city’s roots as a steel town. Finalizing those plans also has stalled the opening, which will now take place early in 2011, but there’s no targeted date. Ken Cohen of Cohen Brothers Inc., a Middletown-based scrap processing company, is procuring the hoods, Verdin said,

“It just takes time. Everybody’s still enthusiastic about doing it and everybody wants to do it right ... I don’t know that we’ll have a date until we get settled with the city,” said Verdin.

Staff Writer Jessica Heffner contributed to this report.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 6:03am

Gathering estimates for the renovations needed for the future art center, which is in the old Armco building, also have taken longer than expected. However, Robinette said the work should be able to be completed within the limitations of the funds being provided for the project.

Hmmm……5 months and they still don’t have the plan and quotes completed on this project...and the paperwork still isn't signed ?
And I really don't like the sound of this line.." should be able to be completed within the limitations of the funds"
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 6:21am
Now now Vivian, the speculative saying of "should be able to be completed within the limitations of the funds" is just to let us all down a little more gently when they announce that it will take more money than expected and that the plan submitted to the city and the public isn't going to happen as announced, nor in the timeframe as predicted. This is just to whitewash the original plan to offset their lack of thorough planning. Trust them....it'll all work out, just like everything the city plans and executes. We can't expect the city leaders to execute this as well as the Lake, the Mall or the Commons was brought on board, can we? Be patient. Robinette knows what he's doing.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 9:56am
Has anyone heard about the cost of the car hoods that Cohen will furnish ? I hate to start a rumor but I got word last Friday that the cost is slightly "exorbitant". And I assume "we the people" will pick up that cost ?

I agree with Vet...Robinette knows what he is doing ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 11:54am
Vet
Something about this entire job just isn't sounding right...
On buildings where you have large open spaces like this many times we do the layout with painters tape and or chalk right on the floor so everyone can see the general layout of the building or loft space. Then ya do the bluprints.
Delays in quoting the job?...I don't think so since we have contractors here in town begging for work.
Sooo here is the big question...Why wasn't all this completed before it was voted on and approved by City Council?
Molly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 3:48pm
Vivian: I don't know if there are simple answers to your questions, but a suggestion or two may be; The City Manager will support most "art" projects because of personal relationships and she turns a "blind" eye to anything Mr. Robinette does, or so it seems. Let's hope for a positive outcome on Cincy State because NO contracts are signed at this point and time.  Miss MollyErmm
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 6:08pm
I am not a fan of art..just not my thing. But I do hope this project brings some life to the downtown area. but this is not getting off on the right foot.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 6:18pm
funny how things are never as together as they seem when we are sold the bill of goods.
Let's hope that Mr.V can make this work, because the locals involved are proven to poison pretty much whatever they touch. Might as well help him every way possible, because we all need something good to happen down there.

When did planning/historical/Admin/Council ok the car hood thing?
Will we have to pay Mr.Cohen or Mr.Verdin for them?
Wouldn't think that there would be allowed any writing on them--against code, which would open the door for anyone to do similar advertising.

Why did our Mayor insist on both bank buildings also, in this time of financial difficulty?
A clean sweep bail-out of all the area downtown Thatcher properties?
What about the building now used by ACF?
They have done a wonderful job fixing it up.

Cincy St. didn't seem interested at all in additional real estate, while the devil($$$) may well be in the details around the expensive building re-habs. A lot of kitchens and upgrades. With the properties having city loans, back taxes, un-paid mortgages tied up, factor in banks, estates, city and state academia. Seems like it might take quite a while to un-ravel everything just to have a beginning.

I guess that we have to start somewhere to have something meaningful and hopefully successful.
Might need a few outsider experts to get this one right.
So--let's get involved to make it work with as little city meddling as possible.

OK Mr.V--Dr.O--
How can I help?
Without being involved with Council,admin or those downtown area people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic