FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Positivity In Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Positivity In Middletown
    Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 9:45pm

Earlier today I received a phone call from a local business owner and someone I consider to be a friend. I was asked why I have become so negative in my postings, it was explained to me that when I meet this business owner close to two years ago that I was very enthusiastic about Middletown and explained to them that MUSA was a positive web site and that is the news we focused on. While I stand by that when it comes to the main page and news stories posted there, I would agree that the forum has taken a turn for the negative, when it comes to posting, my posting included.

I was asked why I never post any of the good things going on in town, like the Greentree Project. My return comment was “you are welcome to post about any and everything you want on the site, why don’t you post about it?” If there is something going on in Middletown that you would like to see talked about post it, MUSA is a site for the people by the people.

Although I agree I should be posting about these things only because they are projects that can help our town and I am all about helping Middletown. I was then asked why I am so against the Cincy State campus and PAC? I would like to clarify that I am not against either of these projects, I am against the city using tax money, that could be spent on fixing roads or other projects. In my opinion if Cincy state and Pac think that Middletown is such a great place and they see such promise in moving here than they should have had no problem using their own money to fix up or even buy buildings. This is not what happened, we the tax payers are footing the bill in the hopes of this working out and in the end if it does not work out we are left holding the bag. My final argument was this, in a time when jobs and money is tight and with water bills being raised I do not like my tax money being spent on renovating buildings that will be used by two groups that have no ties or binding agreements to hold them here if this fails.

I did promise to work on posting some positive news, I just don’t see much at the moment. Do you?? 

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 10:01pm
What a great post, Randy! With all due respect towards everyone's frustrations, Middletown is still a great place with unique, caring residents. I will not give up or give in to the negatives when there are also positive things to focus on!!! This country is hurting everywhere, but better times will come- they always do!
"Because nice matters..."
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:01am

Randy and Patti,

Here’s the thing:

The good things about Middletown are not the things that need immediate and critical attention. It is the things that are wrong with our city that need to be fixed, not the good things.

The good things have not brought us down, nor wrecked our economy, nor driven out employers , nor kept out new business, nor raised taxes, nor ruined our schools, nor let our streets crumble, nor failed to fix our sewers, nor increased our poverty statistics, nor raised our taxes, nor corrupted our government, nor spent us into oblivion, nor otherwise made us the laughing stock of southwestern Ohio. 

The "good things" are NOT the reasons that OUR interchange is the very LAST interchange on I-75 between Cincinnati and Dayton to be developed, nor are the good things the reason that there are actually other interchanges being built (at costs of hundreds of millions of dollars) and being developed BEFORE developers come here.

We can concentrate on the good things until the cows come home, but nothing will change--because the good things do not need “fixing”.

It is the things that are wrong--the BAD things--that need our attention. Those are the things that have negatively affected our city, and those are the things that must be remedied before we can reverse the terrible course we have taken.

To keep our heads in the sand by simply lauding the good things and ignoring the bad will do nothing but guarantee our demise.

We cannot solve our problems unless we first admit that they exist!!!

So, go ahead and: "Yeah, Yeah, Rah, Rah, Middletown!" all that you want, but it won't SOLVE anything.  To HELP, we have to address our PROBLEMS!!! 

I sincerely hope that this helps you to understand.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:07am
And, NO, keeping business and industry OUT, in favor of "olde tyme Middletowne" is NOT the answer.  That has not worked for the last 25 years, for the last 5 regurgitations of that plan, and it will not work if we plow even MORE tens of millions of taxpayers dollars into it.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:12am
NO ONE wants to see this town flourish more than I do. I care what happens to this place and while it is hard to realize that it will never return to the town that brought such great times for me, it is not impossible for it to improve, using a different theme than the old industrial, blue collar theme. My frustration is generated from the mindset over the last 30 years, from the city leaders, and their apparent ablility to make incredibly stupid decisions in that time span. They have wasted so much money on projects which have been discussed here. We have had no council, since the 70's, that have been able to grow this town in a progressive manner. There doesn't seem to have been a game plan for development in the last 30 years, and they have now decided to rely on fed money to provide revenue, through programs that have lowered this town's stature to one of a welfare attraction. Basically, they have created a flea market/traveling circus/ghetto/handout atmosphere here as opposed to the hard-working, mostly middle-class, respectable residentsthat once comprised this community. The community leaders of the 50's and 60's would be shocked to see what the town has become. As shocked as I am. The negative things that are happening in this town so overwhelms the positive things, it is hard to maintain a positive attitude here. The only way to fix it, is to replace the entire hierarchy running this city from the city building to council to the influence of the chosen few and turn the ship in a new direction. One that makes sense. Let's face it, the current crew aren't getting the job done. JMO
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:14am
Mike, NEITHER Randy nor I ever suggested that problems be ignored. The whole point is to balance the good with the bad on stories/opinions posted here. Quite simply...never saying ONE good thing gives this site the reputation of being the place one goes to grouch and complain and nothing more. How sad is that?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:40am

My dear Patti,

On the risk of sounding negative, may I remind you that TVMiddletown has an official policy of "GOOD news only"???  And the Middletown Journal is absolutely slanted towards whatever position City Hall espouses, which is "Bright Past, BRIGHTER Future".  In fact, they apparently shut down their blogs (several times in the past) rather than have folks post negative comments to their overly positive stories and editorials.  City Council certainly discourages anything but glowing reports.  (Just time positive comments in excess of the "3 miniute limit" and compare them to the time allotted any negative comments before the mayor speaks up.)

Al of that leaves nowhere for frustrated REALISTS to go but here on MiddletownUSA, so perhaps some of us (myself certainly included) do sound overly negative. 

However, do not think that our comments are not "negative" in a "positive" way!!!  As I mentioned above, it is NOT the "good things that need "fixing".  It is the PROBLEMS in our city that need attention and it is the PROBLEMS that "the powers that be" attempt to ignore!!!

The more they decry anyone bringing PROBLEMS to their attention as being "negative" instead of addressing those problems, the more likely those same people will keep speaking of the PROBLEMS more and more LOUDLY!!!

Once again:
1.  It is the PROBLEMS and not the "good things" that need fixing if we are to succeed as a city.
2.  There is absolutely NOWHERE else to go but here to speak of these problems
3.  Perhaps someone should try ADDRESSING the problems we raise, instead of merely calling us troublemakers for pointing out what our PUBLIC SERVANTS should be addressing!!!
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:42am
I always enjoy reading about positive things in Middletown. However, I think, like many, that investing tax dollars in "maybes" is not the way to go when we are looking at cutting Public Safety and other services. One question I do have is about "payback" on loans we are giving private business. How long will it take for the PAC to refund to the city the money for improvements to thier building? I don't think private artists, seiing a painting every now and then will get this done. By a much larger degree, the city will be investing a total of $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 for Cincinnati State to move downtown, yet Cincy will not be paying property taxes to help pay off the huge debt. Of course we will own buildings, 2 of which will not be in use, so in actuality, what have we gained?Confused
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:50am
To One and All~ Please do not misunderstand my point here. I love MUSA! I read it with great enthusiasm more than once a day. Of course all problems warrant discussion here. My complaint is the negative sarcasm that follows every post, whether the post started as a good thing or a bad thing. I challenge everyone to think of ONE good thing to say here every once in awhile. NOT to ignore the things that need change, but rather to remember the many good reasons for wanting them changed in the first place!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 7:51am
Originally posted by PattiGal PattiGal wrote:

Mike, NEITHER Randy nor I ever suggested that problems be ignored. The whole point is to balance the good with the bad on stories/opinions posted here. Quite simply...never saying ONE good thing gives this site the reputation of being the place one goes to grouch and complain and nothing more. How sad is that?
Patti,
Also, what is stopping ANYONE from posting "good" stories/opinions on here???

How sad is it that no one is willing to take the time/trouble to come and refute what we so-called "troublemakers" keep posting??? 

Isn't it worth their trouble???
Don't they think Middletown is worth it??
Must they be paid to do it???

Or is it that they just can't stand up to the pressure of the truth to which they are subjected whenever they try to do so???
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 8:33am
I don't know if this is a ploy to get more posting activity, or the realism that those wanting positive commentary simply cannot stand to face the reality associated with mindless decisions and lack of thought which goes into so many decisions made in the city called Middletown. Section 8 overload and inflation of the numbers was caused by the city with council not even knowing as they allege, they knew about it. That's a positive we can spin right? Okay, Middletown is a place that help sthose that need a hand---that can be done.

The AK strike? That can be spun positively, as the workers came back to work, but put the city's housing stock in a mess aggrevated by the lack of city involvement (not taking sides, wjen it was clear the impact this would have on the city, workers, and of course, whom held the upper hand). As for the positives, the services the city provides are sbhorrent, and deliberately intended to do so. Spin that as a positive. Well, Middletown gives its residents exceptional exervize by going outside, raking leafs for 4 months, and bagging them each week, as a measure of cardiac stumulation.

Anyone with acranium would read everyone has been in agreement Cincinnti State seems to have a solid reputation. That is not the issue. The issue is this deal is not even in the details, as the details aren't there, and much remains to be negotiated. PAC? Why would an art center thrive in Middletown? Are there alternatives? Of course, tear all down.

Really don't know why anyone is getting hung up appeasing those who get bent out of shape when reality is exposed. Perhaps if it had been exposed 35 years ago, the city and its residents would be better for it. Another positive- the tax levy was passed for the schools when in 99% of communities, it would have failed, same for library.

Maybe it was the older youtube video that got the friend bent out of shape, and much of the buidings in tht video have been torn down, but the Forbes ranking says it all.  Many want to go back to Oz, and cannot accept the fact Oz will never appear. For most, they just want to sell their houses and get out.

Really confused about the negatives found here, when there are just as many positives, and those who bring those to the table.  You try to make this the sleepless in Seatle Middletown Journal, and the ad revenue will slip off the table. Facts, not fantasy,    
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 8:49am
Originally posted by PattiGal PattiGal wrote:

To One and All~ Please do not misunderstand my point here. I love MUSA! I read it with great enthusiasm more than once a day. Of course all problems warrant discussion here. My complaint is the negative sarcasm that follows every post, whether the post started as a good thing or a bad thing. I challenge everyone to think of ONE good thing to say here every once in awhile. NOT to ignore the things that need change, but rather to remember the many good reasons for wanting them changed in the first place!
Good stories???
Good things???
Good people???

Perhaps you missed my posts (and those of others) during November about the charity benefits for:

1. Big Brothers/Big Sisters

2. Foster children of Butler County

Goodly sums of money were raised by caring folks for great causes, and NO taxpayers’ funds were involved.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 8:51am
Lady Falcons, State volleyball CHAMPIONS!!!  (also posted during November)
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 9:18am
One other positive is that I do not work in that h*llhole of a town anymore!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

posted November 10 1:05 am

PattiGal:

It takes courage to undertake such a venture during times as unpredictable as those we are currently enduring. Please accept my wishes for success beyond your most optimistic expectations.

Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 9:56am
I like Spider's ability to attract fine artists to perform at MUM, and understand he is a celebrity, as he once mingled with Robert Plant, of Led Zepplin fame.

I like getting my morning Joe at MUM, gourmet style, with a mere .85 cents.

I like the fact my neighbor with five kids, takes his children each week to the bike path, instead of riding unbridled around our street where they may be injured.

I like being able to pick up the Journal for free when I get my morning Joe for .85 cents at MUM.

I like Middletown now has electronic sensors to red my water so I won't ever have a minor leak, and get a $300. water bill ever again.

I like the Salvation Army store and getting Ralph Lauren, J Crew, and many top brand items, never used, including a cashmere sweater or two, for a few bucks, and really nice people.

I liked the 25th anniversary sell Penn Station had, $2.99 on the eight inch sandwich.

I like the fact Neil Barille was able to retire and get out of Middletown with a pension before the market fell totally, and live in a cool place.

I like my neighbors, because most mow their grass 2-3 times a week, bag it, and don't ever have a leaf blowing through my yard.   
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 10:01am
Here is some good news.Guess Mr.Mayor and his buddy  McCoy will have to scramble fast to come up with a soulution.

MIDDLETOWN — The fate of the $360 million SunCoke Energy facility could be in limbo after the Ohio Supreme Court reversed the decision of a state board granting an application for the company to build in Middletown.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the Ohio Power Siting Board erred by denying it had jurisdiction to review the environmental impact of coke ovens that are to be part of an electric power “co-generation station” of the SunCoke plant being built off Yankee Road.

In a 4-1 decision, the court reversed the siting board’s approval of the $360 million facility. It remanded SunCoke’s application to the siting board for further proceedings to determine whether the proposed facility “represents the minimum adverse environmental impact,” according to the ruling.

Justice Evelyn Lundberg Stratton dissented, arguing the coke plant isn’t an associated facility under the siting board’s jurisdiction and the ruling encroaches on the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency’s jurisdiction. Chief Justice Eric Brown didn’t participate in the decision.

The city of Monroe, which borders where the plant is being built, appealed the siting board’s ruling to the Ohio Supreme Court. Chris Walker, an attorney representing Monroe, said he is pleased with the decision.

“We trust that in light of the court’s ruling, the OPSB will now evaluate all environmental impacts associated with Middletown Coke’s generation of electricity, as well as alternatives sites for the facility,” he said.

Walker added that Ohio law prohibits the construction of a major utility without a certificate from the OPSB, stating any further construction is illegal unless the board re-issues the certificate.

Joe McGinn, spokesman for SunCoke, did not comment on the status of the plant’s construction, which started in April.

As of Wednesday afternoon, several vehicles were moving dirt and activity was ongoing at the construction site.

“At this point, I think we are evaluating the situation with the decision ... and what the decision means, and what are the appropriate steps moving forward for us,” he said.

The Ohio Power Siting Board reviews applications for the siting of large electric and natural gas generating and transmission facilities in Ohio. It approved SunCoke’s application in January 2009.

Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 10:37am
I'm positive about the outcome for AK and Middletown because Les Landen is a fine constitutional scholar and Larry Mulligan is a smart man and a good leader. Middletown always wins its legal battles, just ask Cincinnati Bell or the fired woman passed over for promotion. We're very fortunate to have such smart people in Middletown who attended college and have degrees. We also have Frost, Brown, and Tood who know how to handle these remands, and even one who sits on council.  
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 11:19am
Thanx for the kind words--I actually spent an evening out "clubbing" with Robert Plant in Florida, after meeting him at the infamous Tiki Bar next to our Florida hideout. Believe it or not, Plant and his lady friend wanted to sing karaoke. Now--an old guy like me going into a red hot Fla.nightclub is very nbd UNLESS you walk into that club with Robert Plant. One unbelievable night to remember for my wife and me--plus we had up-front tix for opening night of the Robert Plant/Allison Krauss tour a couple of years back. Hope to catch his current Band of Joy tour on the final 2 nights in Nashville, considering the band also features Darrell Scott, who has played at my home.

On to the real issue--Randy don't fall for that "negativity" nonsense.
This message board is attracting more viewers and a very diverse assortment of viewers.
The messages here are resonating throughout the city, with the more constructive/positive efforts gaining a well-rounded following.

Few here are "against" C State or PAC. Many here and outside of this forum are not in favor of the financial arrangements tied to these deals, particularly the PAC funding to a wealthy out-of-towner. We need artists in the building-jobs created-business sales--companion businesses sprouting. SUCCESS in other words. We want this activity for our tax $$ BEFORE we see car hoods on the building(will we pay for the car hoods and their installation?). Time for Council/Admin to hold up the $$ to PAC for this type of venture until the basic business has begun to establish imo.

Cincy State--should be the gem of the area. 
Don't know ANYONE opposed to this one.
However the master plan/financials don't seem to exist at this time, and Council/ED/Admin's arrangement to purchase select Thatcher properties is somewhat ?able but not out of the realm. 

Once again--the dark siders fear and loathe everything that they can't censor and control.
They are not used to it, and see their support base dwindling deservedly after decades of bad decision-making and an overall unsuccessful history of representing the community as a whole as opposed to the select "stakeholders".

Blow them off Randy--do what you have been doing, and at a more intense level.
Draw everyone and all opinions into the discussion. Keep it clean and impersonal.
We move ahead together--we fall by the wayside divided.
Look no further than Washington DC to see where close-minded partisanship and self-preservation at the expense of the greater good has led.

Watched the new version of Middie bball scrimmage the other night.
I was impressed.
Congrats to Coach Ronai for sticking with us through a very difficult start-up. His defensive system and up-tempo offense seems to be a great fit for this deep group of players. I expect them to be a serious force as the season progresses, and see the next few years as being even better.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 11:21am
Had a wonderful ride in the Ambulance, under the circumstances, Friday before Thanksgiving.  Spent 6 days in Atrium.  ER was great got in the back door due to ambulance ride and didn't have to deal with the ER front desk and waiting room.

All of the nurses and staff at Atrium were wonderful during my stay and went above and beyond to make my stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you all.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 11:51am
Anything we can do for you Pac, let us know. Hope nothing serious for you. I too, have had positive experiences in the ER, and especially ICU with the wife's stroke. No better care in ICU from my experiences. She was there 9 days, then to rehab for a month. I agree, all seemed like good, caring people in these areas.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by wrote:

Maybe it was the older youtube video that got the friend bent out of shape, and much of the buidings in tht video have been torn down, but the Forbes ranking says it all.  Many want to go back to Oz, and cannot accept the fact Oz will never appear. For most, they just want to sell their houses and get out.

Maybe it was the youtube video that made my friend call me, and I do agree that much in that video has been removed. But if you went down there to make a new updated video how much would really have changed??

There are positive things happening in Middletown, most are the things that city leaders are not involved in.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 11:56am
Glad you are ok Pac and great to have you back.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 2:20pm
I watched the video.
Thought it to be balanced and non-controversial.
So what is many of the buildings are now down--they could substitue many others that are far worse.
Like it or not, that is who/where we are.
Plus--it showed a lot of cool architecture.
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2010 at 2:45pm
The timing of the video came out of the blue. I'd say many thought Randy was deliberately unermining the efforts of the city to move forward. Much has changed since that video was produced. Heck, the school was torn down, AK headquaters is gone., so there is alot of brownfielding. Middletown is really making progress.

I like the city workers going on Roosevelt using all the gas today, taking hours to suck a few leafs up to avoid clogging the storm sewers. Yes sir, there is much positive occurrences within Middletown. Randy was just stirring up trouble when so much effort has been made by many key players to turn the city around. Just wait. The movement of PAC and Cincinnati State will be the best thing to hit Middletown since the soap box derby used to run near Jacob Park.

Just not right to condemn progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic