FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletowns Passion Will Sstain Art Center

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletowns Passion Will Sstain Art Center
    Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 4:14pm
From Middletown Journal

MIDDLETOWN — After opening three Pendleton Art Centers in struggling downtowns, founder Jim Verdin said one thing sets Middletown above the rest: Passion.

“The one thing you have here is a tremendous amount of passion,” Verdin said. “And that is what is impressive.”

At the monthly business luncheon held Thursday by the Chamber of Commerce Serving Middletown, Monroe and Trenton, Verdin said what a poor economy has taught him is that businesses have to change the way they work to survive. Middletown’s downtown has changed throughout the years, and he said like the other art centers, the PAC will help give Middletown an art’s identity.

Full Story here: Middletownjournal.com
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 7:19pm
PASSION
–noun
any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.
strong amorous feeling or desire; love; ardor.
strong sexual desire; lust.
an instance or experience of strong love or sexual desire.
a person toward whom one feels strong love or sexual desire.
a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything: a passion for music.
the object of such a fondness or desire: Accuracy became a passion with him.
an outburst of strong emotion or feeling: He suddenly broke into a passion of bitter words.
violent anger.
the state of being acted upon or affected by something external, esp. something alien to one's nature or one's customary behavior ( contrasted with action).
( often initial capital letter ) Theology .
a.
the sufferings of Christ on the cross or His sufferings subsequent to the Last Supper.
b.
the narrative of Christ's sufferings as recorded in the Gospels.
Archaic . the sufferings of a martyr.

He meant no. 3? Question
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 8:12pm
I have a passion for cheeseburgers!Tongue
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 8:55pm
Middletown an art identity? How many notches up the ring does it have to climb to reach that pinnacle from a pollution producing steel town, to the state capital of section 8, to the city with the worst maintenance record in the state of Ohio, to the fastest dying city in Ohio, to the city that refused the gift of a sculpture of Verity by AK Steel, that now stands somewhere on MUM's campus, to a passonate city of art lovers? I bet in a former life, he sold snake oil and tonic to stimulate hair growth and age reversal.    
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:00pm
Seems like the city bought the Neyer Group to do the heavy lifting on east end, and bought Jim Verdin to do the heavy lifting downtown. To city council, and manager, Jim Verdin is a true

Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 11:17pm
Jeeprs, the residents really got "hood-winked" by the city on the PAC deal. LOLLOLLOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 1:33am
Verdin says "the PAC will help give Middletown an art’s identity". Might be true. The problem will be that this "art's identity" will only tickle the fancy of less than 1% of the population of the town. Hope there's a ----pot full of out-of-towners that plan to support this. Don't see much support from the locals as most of this town is comprised of "beer and NASCAR" types, not the "wine and cheese/bistro" folks.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 7:34am
OK JAG---where do you get your favorite local cheeseburgers?
Everyone else?

I still prefer a medioum rare version from The Meadows.
I do eat at Checkers also--preferably for a pineapple malt. 
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 8:07am
Yes, The Meadows -- forgot how good their burger is.

How is that place still surviving?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 8:40am
Middeltown has a passion for art ?? Gees.......... Ermm
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 8:55am
Spider: Often, I will drive "non-stop" to the Madison Inn for the cheeseburger. They have some of the best food around. A very friendy and clean place also. Thursday, I had lunch with a local landscaper,(whom you know well). He had the Bacon-Cheeseburger Platter, 6 beers and it cost him $13. If you haven't already, check it out. I would even meet you there.  JagsterWink
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 9:08am
Well now, lets figure this. If the 200 couples who spend $100.00 once a year at The Manchester for the gala, and then go to Pendletown at least once a month, well now, there about $25,000. these so called high rollers like the McNeils, the Mulligan's, the Sacks, can spend. Well now, that's about $400. each month they will spend per artist, at the PAC. Well then, it will be financed by these top 200 aristrocrtas, the barons and lions of Middletown, so all is well in the city with hood ornaments.     
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 9:18am
Hmmm Jag---cheeseburger platter + 6 beers.
EVERY local landscaper that I know could qualify for that lunch.
Have never been to the Madison Inn, though the lure of Sonny Moorman and live bluegrass is always appealing. Might take you up on that offer. Would be glad to have the company.
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 11:06am
As Jimmy Buffet would say, "Cheeseburgers in Paradise"! Maybe Mr. Verdin could have him appear at the opening of PAC, with a nod to the good hamburgers served inside PAC. Ja, don't reveal your plans too much, 6 beers pushes anyone to about a 1.2 blood level, and lots of police out trying to make a buck from the public. Monroe going as far as flashing/scanning license plates parked in Krogers, outlet store, all over town, and seeing if anyone has an arrest warrant, anything, to make a buck. Guess thay need to find ways to pay back the nearly $ 1 million in $$$$$$ soent fighting Middletown and SunCoke. 
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2010 at 8:15pm
Spider:  Bluegrass every Sunday evening.Thumbs%20Up
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2010 at 6:02am
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

From Middletown Journal

MIDDLETOWN — After opening three Pendleton Art Centers in struggling downtowns, founder Jim Verdin said one thing sets Middletown above the rest: Passion.

Let's see Middletown's residents passion for Food, Entertainment, Services, Medical care, etc. hasn't sustained the 100's of businesses which have left Middletown for Greener Pastures or failed.  In other words Residents won't support a $3-4.00 for a hamburger but are going to go to the PAC in numbers willing to spend 100's of dollars to support 20 starving artist.  Anyone want to buy a newly renovated I-75 Exit.............Cheap.
Cheap moncler jacket View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheap moncler jacket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2010 at 9:39pm

The most well-known merchandise in background Moncler Jackets.Moncler Jackets utilized for developing these fashionable wears is of higher quality.Moncler sale will retain you cozy and for certain you are heading to get satisfaction from awesome admiration and appreciation.Moncler Womens Jackets will allow you escape from those people standard variations which you utilized to fit on throughout just about every winter.So, this period you should go to store away a little something different.Our Moncler online shop one of a kind and chic variations are unquestionably according towards recent trends and style needs.

Phearless Phosdick View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phearless Phosdick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 4:46am
Somebody's passion is sustaining sumptin':

THEY SAY THERE’S NO FOOL LIKE AN OLD FOOL,

AND THIS OLD FOOL IS TURNING 70

ON APRIL FOOL’S DAY.

STOP IN ANY TIME FROM 5-9 PM

ON FRIDAY, APRIL 1, 2011 AT MIDDLETOWN’S

PENDLETON ART CENTER, 1105 CENTRAL AVENUE

TO HELP CELEBRATE SAM ASHWORTH’S BIRTHDAY,

THE OPENING OF HIS STUDIO, FOOL’S PRESS

AND THE FIRST FRIDAY SOFT OPENING

OF THE PENDLETON.

REFRESHMENTS WILL BE SERVED.

ABSOLUTELY NO GIFTS.

TOO MUCH STUFF ALREADY.

Us taxpayin fools is already pickin up the tab for this joint.  I guess its only right that Missy G find some way fer us to foot the bill fer this party too.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 11:03am
I never realized that passion could pay my bills, improve my standard of living and give me an appreciation for business.  I always thought passion is what prompted me to be an artist. thank you for the "enlightenment"!
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

I never realized that passion could pay my bills, improve my standard of living and give me an appreciation for business.  I always thought passion is what prompted me to be an artist. thank you for the "enlightenment"!

Something tells me you didn't vote for Barack Hussein Obama?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 11:10am
The PAC alone will not give Middletown an "art identity". If this project is not coupled with an economic engine to bring people downtown, the PAC will go the way of the downtown mall. I've said it before, ENTERTAINMENT is the economic engine that will give downtown an "art identity" by bringing people downtown. Hey city council, want to spend some more taxpayer money? Restore the Studio Theater instead of demolishing it; buy the Sorg Opera House and restore it. With venues for entertainment available, people will have a reason to come downtown and see what the artists at PAC are doing. You certainly seem to pull people during the summer with the Broad Street Bash. Wouldn't it be nice to have crowds like that downtown on a more regular basis? Might cause some other businesses to open downtown, like restaurants.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 11:11am
Tudor Brown, you would be wrong in that assessment!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 12:28pm
Where is the mob that occupied council chambers the evening that council voted to fund Verdin's art center? There were at least 30 or more "arts fanatics" who were adamant about having art downtown. The claims from the art-lovers was that the Verdin arts center, along with Cincy State, was going to be the catalyst for restaurants springing up and the downtown coming to life again. Has anyone seen these same people participating in this endeavor since that night? As I understand it, it has always been the plan to bring the arts center (and Cincy State) downtown and the amenities would follow, which goes against the grain that TonyB has posted when he says the PAC alone will not be able to revive the downtown on its own. At the rate the arts center is being developed (no studios completed/minimal construction happening, no car hoods-    and only 5 tenants so far), it may never be the trigger for downtown development nor will Cincy State the way it was handled.

Negative....whiners....yep, you bet. You would be too if you have seen over 40 years of ill-planned ideas leading to futile/failed efforts while wasting millions of money that was not theirs to waste. Even the most optimistic people would have developed a bad attitude if they had seen the clusters occuring in this town all these years....and it continues with no hope of ever seeing competency in our elected (and hired) officials. They have been, and are now, a cancer on this town.
Pocketbook View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pocketbook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 12:47pm
While the comment made have been in jest, or moronic if the poster felt whiners complained when their property values had been taken back to where it was many years ago, only the insane would say anyyone whom has a gripe about roads unpaved for 20 some years, school s built without filling them, and houses dropping value like a depression stock market needs to be put in a mental ward (or on city council) with the rest of those hallucinating and having drams of grandeurism. 

As a pocketbook, I like it better when warm cash rubs against my sides, instead of dirty hands digging into me daily, providing no return in value. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2011 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Phearless Phosdick Phearless Phosdick wrote:

Somebody's passion is sustaining sumptin':

THEY SAY THERE’S NO FOOL LIKE AN OLD FOOL,

AND THIS OLD FOOL IS TURNING 70

ON APRIL FOOL’S DAY.

STOP IN ANY TIME FROM 5-9 PM

ON FRIDAY, APRIL 1, 2011 AT MIDDLETOWN’S

PENDLETON ART CENTER, 1105 CENTRAL AVENUE

TO HELP CELEBRATE SAM ASHWORTH’S BIRTHDAY,

THE OPENING OF HIS STUDIO, FOOL’S PRESS

AND THE FIRST FRIDAY SOFT OPENING

OF THE PENDLETON.

REFRESHMENTS WILL BE SERVED.

ABSOLUTELY NO GIFTS.

TOO MUCH STUFF ALREADY.

Us taxpayin fools is already pickin up the tab for this joint.  I guess its only right that Missy G find some way fer us to foot the bill fer this party too.
Hey...how did I miss this item?!?!
I am shocked--shocked I tell you--that I did not get an engraved, personal invitation!!!
Wait, I know!!!  It's probably delayed due to the earthquake.  Yeah...that's it!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic