FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collective bargaining laws up for discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collective bargaining laws up for discussion
    Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:56am
By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 11:02 PM Sunday, December 5, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — City Council will confront a volatile issue Tuesday when it discusses a proposed resolution urging the Ohio General Assembly to re-examine collective bargaining laws for municipalities, which at least one council member says limit local governments’ ability to control personnel costs.

Councilman Josh Laubach, who brought the idea to City Council and authored the resolution, told members at their last meeting that getting a handle on union contract restrictions is vital for Middletown to stay fiscally sound.

He cited the more than $2.5 million increase expected in police and fire department personnel costs in 2011 as one of the reasons the city needs to find a new way to negotiate contracts with its eight unions.

“If we are running a business, we are looking (at these increased expenses) and saying this is off the table,” he said. “I think for these reasons it’s important that this body ... petition the state legislature for help.”

The bulk of Middletown’s budget — $21.7 million — is for police and fire services, which are receiving a $3.8 million increase despite no new positions.

Laubach brought up concerns in November that the city was dipping into reserve funds to make up for a $762,109 gap in its 2010 budget.

City Manager Judy Gilleland said a study involving the eight employee unions indicated that if each had foregone pay increases in 2009, the city could have saved $600,000.

“As unpopular as it may be to talk about or — in my case — politically unpopular, I believe we are reaching a point where we have no choice but to talk about what collective bargaining means and how it affects our bottom line,” Laubach said.

Councilman A.J. Smith has already publicly protested the proposal by posting a link to his Facebook page last week urging residents to e-mail Mayor Larry Mulligan to tell him “not to support this absurd resolution!”

“(Arbitration) provides an outlet that allows labor and management to have disagreements and have those disagreements tactfully and orderly arbitrated,” Smith said. “I’m afraid Josh’s mentality is employees don’t deserve rights. Josh will tell you employees work at the pleasure of the employer and that is completely wrong.”

“If we get rid of collective bargaining we are asking for a much less qualified workforce,” Smith said. “Ask those council folks (who) are willing to support that resolution, are they willing to have those employees strike?”

Mulligan said he doesn’t think the legislation is meant to be negative toward unions, but to give the city “more flexibility and not leave the decision to a single arbitrator.”

He added that the legislation would not have an immediate impact on city unions: the resolution merely urges state legislators to take action on current laws.

John Hoover, president of the Middletown Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 36, said he plans to attend council’s meeting Tuesday.

“Obviously we do not support this issue,” he said. “(Arbitration) helps us. Any city is going to come to who they are bargaining with and say we don’t have any money. I think without it we are at their disposal as far as whether we get pay increases, insurance benefits or any type of benefits at all.”

Jon Harvey, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 336, said he was “totally appalled by council’s actions.”

“I think they are using their council seats to push their personal agendas,” he said. “And I don’t think collective bargaining has negatively impacted the city at all.”

The last time a union contract went through fact-finding or conciliation arbitration was in 2007 with the Fraternal Order of Police, according to city records. The arbitration resulted in the police union receiving a 3 percent increase for each year of the three-year contract.

Once contracts go through conciliation, the decision made by the arbitrator is binding. At that stage, there is no room for negotiations — either the arbitrator will side with the employer’s request or the union’s, said Sara Mills, Middletown’s assistant law director.

There are eight unions comprised of Middletown employees, according to the city law department. Of those, firefighters, police officers, supervisors, dispatchers and corrections officers are in unions that can go to binding arbitration. The remaining unions — which include Public Works, transit, police civilian and water treatment employees — are “strike units” meaning binding arbitration is not an option if an agreement is not reached and the parties could choose to accept terms or strike.

Since 1997, Middletown has gone through the arbitration process with employee contracts four times.

The last contract to go through the arbitration process was a three-year contract with the Fraternal Order of Police in 2007. In conciliation, the arbitrator awarded the union 3 percent pay increases for each year of the contract, according to state records.

City Council will meet at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in city council chambers, One Donham Plaza.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/collective-bargaining-laws-up-for-discussion-1021824.html   
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 3:01am
I wish I had recorded that last council meeting where AJ stated his job,does any one remember what he said ? something about being in charge of five counties ? LOL

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 6:54am
The right thing to do Josh. Good thinking on your part. The other council members should support this also as well as any city leader who is interested in making the city budget healthy again. Disappointed in Mr. Smith and his non-support of this resolution, but his "not so hidden" hidden agenda is rather obvious with his desire to join the fire department and in helping their union while in office.

I have always worked in non-union companies, eight to be exact,from large corporations to small industrial park ones, and have never had the so-called benefit of collective bargaining. The company gave each department a specific allotment of money and it was up to each individual supervisor to distribute the money as he saw fit, BASED ON PERFORMANCE AND VALUE TO THE DEPARTMENT, to each individual. Some got 0%, some got 2% and some got 3% or more, until the money ran out. Depended on ones contribution in the last year. That's how it works in a non-union shop AJ. There was no one making outlandish demands to the company on behalf of the employees.

“If we get rid of collective bargaining we are asking for a much less qualified workforce,” Smith said. Nonsense AJ. There are many qualified, productive, quality minded people in the workforce that aren't connected with a union and have no collective bargaining chips. You have been talking to too many union people to see the truth. The unions had a purpose at one time years ago. Now, alot of them are breaking the bank, bankrupting the very hand that are paying them with their demands. The Teacher's Union is a classic example of a group of people who are killing the very hand that feeds them....the taxpayer through the numerous levies needed to afford their demands. The outlandish demands need to stop. No one gets a three percenter every year. Some companies announce that profits weren't good for the year and there will be no raises. Disappointing-certainly, but in times like these, you oughta be thankful you have a job that pays the bills.

John Hoover, president of the Middletown Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 36, said he plans to attend council’s meeting Tuesday.

“Obviously we do not support this issue,” he said. “(Arbitration) helps us. Any city is going to come to who they are bargaining with and say we don’t have any money. I think without it we are at their disposal as far as whether we get pay increases, insurance benefits or any type of benefits at all.”

Jon Harvey, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters Local 336, said he was “totally appalled by council’s actions.”

“I think they are using their council seats to push their personal agendas,” he said. “And I don’t think collective bargaining has negatively impacted the city at all.”

Both union reps exhibit typical union mentality. Certainly collective bargaining has hurt the city Harvey. It's dam near bankrupted it with your demands over the years and the inability of past/present city leaders to stand against your demands. You won't compromise. The city is hurting for money because the past and present narrow-minded nimrods running this city haven't generated any revenue through jobs to pay for your demands.

"We are at their disposal as far as whether we get pay increases, benefits...." Harvey, the majority of workers work in non-union shops and are at the mercy of their employer as to raises, benefits, etc. What makes you think you're so special?
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 7:04am
Sadly, I don't this council has enough guts or brains to take on the unions over this.  There will be a lot of wimpy comments about how valuable our police/fire is because, after all, no one wants to upset them. 
Lostdafire View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostdafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:16am
Councilman Laubach should be commended for stepping out front with this proposal.  

The "binding arbitration" component of the collective bargaining law and grievances as it applies to Police and Fire negotiations and settling grievances needs to be eliminated. 

Put local control back in the hands of local officials. 

Becker, Picard, Allen and Mulligan need to support Councilman Laubach's resolution.  I hope they do not give in to the organized union opposition that will be present Tuesday evening. 

TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:16am
     Note; the rest of city employees have but one raise of 1 percent in the last few years. We have all felt the pain of this recession why should any body be exempt.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:37am

Josh is showing a lot of guts by bringing this to the forefront,a valiant effort. But I'm afraid his efforts will be wasted because the city is not going to fight the union and the union is not going to just fade into the background,although I wish they would. As I've said a thousand times and now for a thousand and one,police & fire have no business being unionized. Most unions are nothing more than organized crime syndicates,they will go to any length to obtain their objective including literally holding a city hostage.

I hope Josh sticks to his guns on this and demands more from council and city leaders.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:46am
Mr. Smith, you seem to constantly open mouth and insert foot, when talking to the paper and thus the public.  Concerning the quote below,

If we get rid of collective bargaining we are asking for a much less qualified workforce,” Smith said."  

Could you please provide me with any data you have that proves Non-Union personnel are any less qualified than Unionized Personnel?  Does the city have two sets of qualifications for it's Public Safety employees, the Union Qualifications and the Non-Union ones?  So in your mind all Non-Union employees in the City of Middletown are less qualified to work for the City than Unionized workers, very dim view of your constituents if you ask me.

When is your term up?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:08am
Taken from Aj smith's Facebook Page

AJ Smith - Voters/Citizens/Taxpayers, come to the Council meeting this Tuesday at 5:30pm in the city building. Urge your Council members not to support this JOB KILLING, ANTI-COMMUNITY resolution!

AJ Smith  - CALL TO ACTION! Some Council Members want to cut your police, fire and public works employees so far back that we'll become unsustainable as a city. Our police officers, firefighters and public works employees need our help right now. Click this link, email the Mayor and tell him not to support this absurd resolution!
Stop Attacks on Services and Workers' Rights in Middletown!
Council members in Middletown, Ohio will present a resolution Tuesday that would put the services our communities receive at risk and repeal workers’ rights in the state.  Don’t let this anti-community, anti-worker Resolution pass.

The resolution calls on the Ohio General Assembly to reconsider Ohio’s public employee collective bargaining law.  Since it’s passage in 1984, the collective bargaining law has helped to create greater consistency and stability in the relationship between labor and management.  This shared approach to public work has led to better planning, greater productivity, improved delivery of services and made workers and employers mutually invested in outcomes that are accountable and transparent to taxpayers and the community at large. 

The law also provides workers with a vehicle for dispute resolution, which has dramatically cut down on work stoppages in Ohio and keeps vital emergency services running even during times of tough worker-employer disputes.  It also has given public workers – who were exempt from Federal collective bargaining laws passed in 1935 that only covered private sector workers – a voice on the job and legal rights in negotiating contracts with public employers. 

Take action now by filling out the information below to send an email to Middletown Mayor Larry Mulligan asking him to oppose this resolution and keep our communities safe and protect the rights of public service workers.

After you send your email to Mayor Mulligan, make plans to join labor and community activists for the first reading of the Resolution at Tuesday’s Middletown City Council meeting at 5:30PM at 1 Donham Plaza Middletown, Ohio

Read more on Councilmen Smith's Facebook page
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:18am
I think what happen is when Mr.Smith got in that spat with those ladies one of them must of slapped the common sense out of him.LOL
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:27am
I love it -- "job killing resolution"..what a laugh.  Why is AJ so concerned with the outcome of a handful of public safety job but not the jobs of anyone else in town?  Or the long-term job-CREATING prospects in this town?  Hmmm

I also would like to know who is the ghost writer than gave AJ the language for that post.  He obviously could not have done it.

AJ, please let me know when you take your first economics class and then explain to me how this city can afford to keep paying, and hiring more, public safety employees without spending down our reserves to nothing.  You've never had a fact-based answer for this budget problem.  In your fantasy world, the "other shoe" never drops.

I haven't thought much of this "man" from the beginning and I think even less of him now. 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:33am
AJ's statement above reads like it just came out in a "pro-union campaign" flyer. After reading the above statement by Mr Smith one has to question who is he working for ? The people who elected him or the FOP ? And how would services arrive at "unsustainable" as Mr Smith states ? I seriously doubt that the city wants to cut services so deep that there would be no police or fire left to respond to any given situation.

I think AJ has over-stepped the boundries in his plea to garner union support.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:34am

I think this would be a great time to show up at meeting and show your support to Josh and show the rest of council that this is something that needs to be done or at least looked into. Does anyone plan on attending?

This should be a heated topic:

Resolution No. R2010-42, a resolution urging the Ohio General Assembly to reexamine and reconsider State laws limiting the ability of local governments to control personnel costs. (1st Reading)

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 11:49am
   It is a mystery to me why no one talks about privatizing or outsourcing some of our departments in this kind of economy. When you outsource you sell the department and that puts money in the treasury. You draw the agreement to the city's satisfaction. It includes performance clauses, the new owner does all arbitration and negotiation (to the city's satisfaction) with unions, EPA, etc. The new owner almost always uses the same personnel. They streamline and run things much more efficiently. It can be for whatever term the city wants (ten, twenty or thirty years), at the end of which the city can buy it back. The city maintains control, gets cash and loses the headaches. What could be better in times like these.
          I have been the bigest supporter of our fire and police until I saw the attitude of both our chiefs att the recent council meeting. They wouldn't compromise for one penny. The union leaders have always turned me off but I stuck with them in spite of their unreasonableness.
          One other matter that I have always resented is that we have a majority of our safety forces that live out of town, Yet, when elections roll around they get out in organized force and interfere with our elections to get their candidates elected, support their levies and we don't have fair elections. That is against the law. But, Middletown excels in it.
            It is time to do some outsourcing and privatization. The economy is not going to get much better for a long time. The issue must always be, WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CITY!.
            Paul Nagy

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:14pm
Good points Paul.  And I think, in more ways than one, AJ Smith's positions are rarely what is best for the CITY.  They usually are what is best for him, for unions, for a select few cronies, etc.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:28pm
AJ you are a winner for sure LOL now please tell us who wrote that piece for you.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:32pm
Just read his Facebook sounds like hes running for the Senate (maybe president some day who knows) LOL
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:43pm
Well wouldn't you vote for him to represent us on that level?  Wink
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 12:51pm

Sure I would he wouldn't be any worse than what we have representing us now LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

I wish I had recorded that last council meeting where AJ stated his job,does any one remember what he said ? something about being in charge of five counties ? LOL

Here you go BO he states he is employed by the Ohio Secretary of State, this from his Facebook page:

Employers
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:02pm
Paul outsourcing was discussed on here a few years ago.  I think if you search for inter-governmental contracts it may come up.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Taken from Aj smith's Facebook Page

AJ Smith - Voters/Citizens/Taxpayers, come to the Council meeting this Tuesday at 5:30pm in the city building. Urge your Council members not to support this JOB KILLING, ANTI-COMMUNITY resolution!

AJ Smith  - CALL TO ACTION! Some Council Members want to cut your police, fire and public works employees so far back that we'll become unsustainable as a city. Our police officers, firefighters and public works employees need our help right now. Click this link, email the Mayor and tell him not to support this absurd resolution!

Read more on Councilmen Smith's Facebook page

Can someone refresh my memory on who wanted to cut Fire, Police Etc. on Council.  Seems to me Council and the city has been trying to avoid that at all costs by laying off other workers at City Hall.  By not giving raises or minimal raises to other groups of employees.  By trying to get the Public Safety workers to agree to a wage increase concession which has basically been pushed aside by some Unions.   AJ you a seem to have a hard time getting your facts straight.  It is a shame that rather than represent the City as you were elected to do you choose to rant and rave about employees most who do not even live in the city and can't even vote in the city.

But then again when you have someone trying to be Obama, this is what we get unfortunately.....Obama-Lite.
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:40pm
Hey Randy I will be at the meeting to not only show support for josh but let the rest to council know that the voters are behind him as well. Paul N. I agree with what you are saying but I am very concerned about privatizing and regionalism. I think if the government would let the cities run them selves they would be allot more efficient, but still have control.
AJ IT HAS VERY APPENT THAT YOU ARE OPPORTUNIST  AT ANY COST TO THE CITY
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 2:57pm
Tango,
         I cannot attend the council meeting but I sure will be there with you in spirit. Privatizing and regionalism is and should be a concern but the way this crazy world is going and with the special interests of council over the best interests of the city they should be seriously considered.
         It is always so encouraging to see everyones input.
         Thank you.
              pn
Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 3:33pm
Randy --

Sad to say, MiddletownUSA is about the only place where us average Middletonians can express opinions.

Thank you once again for your efforts!

The truth will set us citizens free from certain bureaucrats, some elected officials and the power brokers.

Clap   Clap   Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic