FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thieves steal bike from child with disability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 1:51pm
From the MJ:

Residents step up to help disabled teen whose bike was stolen

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer Updated 11:18 AM Thursday, December 23, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — After a local teenager with cerebral palsy had his custom-made bike stolen, Middletown residents have rallied to replace the cycle.

On Saturday, thieves broke into a garage on Bryant Street and stole a custom-made bike belonging to 16-year-old Cody Brewer. The teen has cerebral palsy and is unable to walk long distances or use his right arm. The red tricycle with heavy black mag wheels cost Cody’s single mom, Karla Brewer, almost $600, but was “the only way he could get around,” Karla Brewer said.

Because of the boy’s health issues, his mother has not told him the bike was stolen and was hoping it would be returned or replaced before he found out. Karla Brewer filed a police report, but there have been no leads on the stolen bike.

Since Wednesday — when The Journal published a story about the theft — dozens of residents have called and e-mailed offering to help the Brewer family replace the bike.

Karla Brewer said she is meeting with Middletown resident Randy Lewis today to drive down to Mason and order a new bike for Cody, as well as new bikes for her sons, Austin, 13, and Tyler, 11, who also had their bikes stolen from the garage. Another local businessman has also offered to fix her damaged garage and replace the lock free of charge.

“(The community is) great. They are awesome. This is the greatest thing in the world,” Karla Brewer said. “I never thought I would get so many calls especially around Christmas. There are so many people in need right now, not just me so this is great.”

Cody Brewer’s aunt, Becky Pennington, said the response from the community has been wonderful.

“This will do so much good for the family and for Cody. It is just great,” Pennington said.

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 3:14pm
I heard the Journal refused to mention that Randy works at MiddletownUSA.com.

Funny because the story is unfolding right now and many people have come here, to the MiddletownUSA building to drop off a donation. Fox 19 News was just here and did a video story with Randy at his desk.

I hope the Journal sees a way to cover the whole story, just like other area news outlets.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 3:18pm
That's typical MJ leave out half the story, nothing new for them.. Heard local TV may have picked up on this and MiddletownUSA may get a mention there.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

From the MJ:

Residents step up to help disabled teen whose bike was stolen

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer Updated 11:18 AM Thursday, December 23, 2010

MIDDLETOWN

Since Wednesday — when The Journal published a story about the theft — dozens of residents have called and e-mailed offering to help the Brewer family replace the bike.
Goodness gracious! Ben Franklin must be rolling over in his grave!  Does "that poor excuse for a newspaper" (I refuse to type its name) have no shame?

Shouldn't that line of the story read:  "Since Wednesday —when MiddletownUSA posted a story on their web forum about the theft — dozens of MiddletownUSA's regular users have called and e-mailed offering to help the Brewer family replace the bike."

That poor excuse for a newspaper's story was obviously in error and grossly misleading, and a retraction is in order!
FmrMidE View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FmrMidE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 4:09pm
Ok,ok-so the city of Monroe blackballs y'all and The Voice and Middletown city officials have labeled MUSA as pariahs-that's one thing. But to knowingly refuse to acknowledge the source of a good deed is just plain crappy-regradless of the reasons. Having a long standing relationship with your forums I know the good and bad side of things that can evolve from them but I have always felt that they do a helluva' lot more good than evil (sometimes despite my best efforts..) So screw the MJ-everyone involved in this effort is on Santa's GOOD list!
Merry Christmas to all!
FmrMidE/ClarkWestern1
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 4:44pm

There once was a newspaper called a journal,

Reporting both by day and nocturnal.

They’re a news source no more…

Now just an eyesore.

Inaccurate, ungrammatical, infernal!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 5:29pm
And now, let's hear from a blue-collar, unrefined poet, much different than Richard Saunder's eloquent prose.....

The Middletown Journal,
Is in bed with the city.
The people get no truth,
Now ain't that a pity.

They print what they're told,
They've sold out for sure.
The grammar and spelling,
There ain't no cure.

They're bought and paid for,
They're bias is pure.
With the loss of subscriptions,
How can they endure?

It's nice to be part of,
A forum that pesters.
The Journal and others,
The city court jesters.   
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 6:38pm
wtg MUSA!! and randy Clap just saw 19newsClap the real news sourse along with MUSAClap all you will get from the MJ is a  Ouch and increased rates LOL 
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 6:40pm
oooops ( source)LOL
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 7:53pm

Thieves steal special needs bike; community works to replace it

Posted: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST Updated: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST

By Tiffany Teasley

MIDDLETOWN, OH (FOX19) - Just days before Christmas thieves steal three bikes from a Middletown home, including a custom made bike, built for a teen with special needs.

"Wheeled them right through there, all three of them," said Corky Lawson as she pointed out the footprints still fresh in the snow where she says thieves wheeled her grandson's bicycle away. 

She says they busted the lock on her daughter's garage and stole all  three bikes inside. 

"I was pretty mad," said Austin Brewer, who's biked was stolen.

Austin and Tyler are even more upset about their brother Cody's bike being stolen.

"He can't just walk up and down the street to visit the neighbor and stuff, so he rides his bike," Lawson said.

Cody has Cerebral Palsy and often has to use a wheelchair, he can also have sudden seizures which is why the family hasn't told him about the theft. The $600 bike built especially for him, now in the hands of thieves.

"It's sickening," Lawson said.

But, the community is helping Cody and his brothers get back on their bikes. Randy Lewis heard about the story and posted on his website MiddletownUSA.com, and within hours the donations came pouring in.

"Right now we have close to $500, we really need to do something about this, it's Christmas, we wish that we could get the bike today," Lewis said.

The custom bike won't be finished in time for Christmas, but the boys say so long as they can push the pedals a late present will do.

"I think it's pretty cool," Brewer said.

"It's unbelievable, I thank everyone," Lawson said.

The community support comes right on time, today is Cody's 17th birthday.

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Thieves steal special needs bike; community works to replace it

Posted: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST Updated: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST

By Tiffany Teasley

MIDDLETOWN, OH (FOX19) - Just days before Christmas thieves steal three bikes from a Middletown home, including a custom made bike, built for a teen with special needs.

"Wheeled them right through there, all three of them," said Corky Lawson as she pointed out the footprints still fresh in the snow where she says thieves wheeled her grandson's bicycle away. 

She says they busted the lock on her daughter's garage and stole all  three bikes inside. 

"I was pretty mad," said Austin Brewer, who's biked was stolen.

Austin and Tyler are even more upset about their brother Cody's bike being stolen.

"He can't just walk up and down the street to visit the neighbor and stuff, so he rides his bike," Lawson said.

Cody has Cerebral Palsy and often has to use a wheelchair, he can also have sudden seizures which is why the family hasn't told him about the theft. The $600 bike built especially for him, now in the hands of thieves.

"It's sickening," Lawson said.

But, the community is helping Cody and his brothers get back on their bikes. Randy Lewis heard about the story and posted on his website MiddletownUSA.com, and within hours the donations came pouring in.

"Right now we have close to $500, we really need to do something about this, it's Christmas, we wish that we could get the bike today," Lewis said.

The custom bike won't be finished in time for Christmas, but the boys say so long as they can push the pedals a late present will do.

"I think it's pretty cool," Brewer said.

"It's unbelievable, I thank everyone," Lawson said.

The community support comes right on time, today is Cody's 17th birthday.

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 8:35pm
Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Cody.Hug
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 10:17pm
I just want to thank everyone that came in to the office today, sorry I wasn't there to meet you in person. I also want to thank everyone that called me and gave money to help with this great cause. MUSA and it's readers are the best the city has to offer. To all those that are sending checks Thank You.

I did meet with Fox 19 reporter Tiffany this afternoon here is the link to that story and news clip http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=13735745

This whole thing has been wonderfuly....Thank you everyone. Expect the Journal Big%20smile
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2011 at 11:53am
Sad. but true commentary from the Journal and Heffner concerning this incident. Not a mention as to what Randy did for the boys.

From the Journal's editorial section.....

"True Christmas spirit was felt throughout area"

"Hours after staff writer Jessica Heffner’s story appeared online about a Middletown family that needed a stolen custom tricycle made for a special-needs teenager replaced, residents jumped in to help.
Thieves broke into a garage on Bryant Street and stole the bike that belonged to Cody Brewer, 16, who has cerebral palsy and is unable to walk long distances or use his right arm.
Dozens of residents called and e-mailed offers of help to the Brewer family to replace the bike. Karla Brewer said her phone “blew up” with calls from people as far away as Boston.
The boy’s bike, plus the bikes that belonged to Cody’s brothers, 13-year-old Austin and 11-year-old Tyler, are all scheduled to be replaced".

The Journal....a shell of what it use to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic