FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"I Am the Law"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Gregg Nicholl View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregg Nicholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 12:08pm
This may very well have been a misunderstanding; however, the attitude revealed by Mr. Smith's statement is very disconcerting:  "I am the law."  Unfortunately, there are too many in government at every level that have adopted this attitude.  So many government officials have lost site of the fact that they are our representatives, not oligarchs who rule from position and title.  The law cannot be one person or a small group of people Mr. Smith.  The law must be of the people, by the people and for the people. 
Arthur Loversky View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arthur Loversky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 2:16pm
Art Lover here

"I AM THE LAW"

Not like Mr.Smith is the first in the city to think this way.
Seems like the city manager, community revitalization head,  economic development people, planning, works and legal adopted this policy long ago and act it out daily. Shame on AJ for thinking that he had worked his way into the "chosen ones"!

Seems that we have watched this attitude at Council and committee meetings for a long while.

Nice art show opening at Middletown Fine Arts last night. Best local exibit that I have seen in a long while. How long will it take for this Panhandletown project to open up and function at the same level?
got art?
you do now!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 5:58pm
I am hearing that major things are not being mentioned here. I will have more on that late tonight or tomorrow. But if what I heard is even close too true than we have a serious problem with what has been reported.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Arthur Loversky Arthur Loversky wrote:

Nice art show opening at Middletown Fine Arts last night. Best local exibit that I have seen in a long while.
Oh yeah?  Well, like Kelly Cowan said when Mayer Mulligan reopened Citizens Comments especially for her at that one City Council meeting: "Now we have PAC!"  Mr. Verdin promised that PAC will be open in time for the Christmas shopping season and it looks like they will make it in plenty of time.  Then you will see what an art exhibit really should look like.  It will put last nights Middletown Fine Arts art show to shame.
Steve Lewis View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 6:16pm

Has anyone spoke to any of the people involved? This is when voters should feel able to call council members who at this time represent them and ask questions. I have know answers to calls not being returned. I do feel an effort should be made to go thru a chain of command,so the question is clear and consistent. First week of the new year, was hoping for a little change towards positive headlines.

Steve Lewis
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 6:19pm
A.J.,A.J. what have you gotting yourself in now?Sir,you have a issue with women putting you in your place.Why is that?Did your sister's pick on yea when you was growing up or are you just one of those people that speaks before he thinks?IMO I think you sir are a disgrace to the city.Smile
Dave Smith View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 7:14pm
Typical Middletown!   Middletown sucks and most the people that live there is trying to get out.
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Dave Smith Dave Smith wrote:

Middletown sucks and most the people that live there is trying to get out.
Oh yeah?
Well, we have PAC.
And we have South Main Street.
And we have Highlands Historic District.
And we have a great Section 8 program.
And we have
Rob View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 8:25pm
I was at Applebee's when this incident occured and was actually a witness for the police later in the evening.  I also read the article in the paper and have some comments concerning it.

1) This occured at right around 10pm not 11:30 pm as stated in the paper.

2) As soon as my brother and I walked into the restaurant and sat down I noticed AJ Smith sitting at the bar with 4 other people.  This is because of the fact that he and Mr. Robinette (who I did not recognize at the time) were being very loud and, I felt, obnoxious at times especially towards the waiter/waitress(s).  -- Now, while the newspaper states AJ had only two beers, I am fairly certain/thought that I saw him consume 2 and order a third, the latter being the one surrounding the issue; however I could most certainly be wrong.  Understand, I don't normally count how many drinks any one person has, however as this was a city councilman, I felt the need to allow my mind the chance to "sink the situation in" so that I could remember what not to do if I should ever feel the need to run for public office.  But I digress....

3) In order to answer the question concerning the "incident regarding the female acquaintance" from an earlier post, our table was next to where AJ Smith et al were sitting.  I overheard the young lady complaining about how he (I'm not sure if she was referring to Councilman Smith or Mr. Robinette) was telling/asking her to take her clothes off at the bar.  This is when the waitress told Mr.Smith to move or leave Applebee's.  This ended up being confirmed later while I was sitting at the bar waiting for the police to arrive.

4) As my brother and I left Applebee's, AJ Smith walked out right behind us.  A few seconds later the waitress came running out after him.  I thought she did this because he was 1) leaving the restaurant and walking in public with an open container (the third beer I mentioned above), and 2) going to get into his vehicle with that beer in his hand and drive off.  I had no idea that she thought he had stolen it.   Unfortunately I am unable to confirm or deny whether he said "I am the law," because at this point they were on the driver's side of his vehicle and I was unable to see or hear anything that happened.   He then got into his vehicle as she walked away, gunned his vehicle into reverse (literally miss hitting her by about a foot), and drove off.  My brother and I got the license plate number and walked back inside as she was calling the police.
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 8:27pm
Getting back to the issue regarding why Mr. AJ Smith was asked to move or leave...a friend of mine witnessed a portion of this episode. Apparently, the girl he was "acquainted with" said loud enough for him to hear,  "I will not get naked for you!" Also said it looked like Mr. Smith was drunk - drinking those tall beers. And saw him speed out of the parking lot, almost hitting a car. - If this is all true, heavens. Randy, please get to the bottom of this.
Rob View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 8:32pm
He was drinking Heineken bottles not the tall beers that they offer at Applebee's.  I know, I was also there.
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 8:43pm
Thank you. Glad to have an actual witness come forward. It's good to have first hand knowledge, and clarification of what my friend told me. 
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2011 at 11:56pm

I have had many conversations today with many people around the city, I have spoken to Aj Smith and heard his version of the night in question I have also spoken to an employee from Applebees that was there and served Aj and witnessed the incident first hand.  I am not going to go into what was said by either of them….YET!!

I will say that both version are completely different in just about all aspects. I need to do a little more thinking on what to share and talk to a few more people before I get into the versions I have been told.  

But people this (in my opinion) is a serious issue that needs to have the full story told. That’s all I have for now….FOR NOW!!

I do have a question for you Rob, and I know you were in fact there, as the employee I spoke to mentioned you and your brother, not by name, but mentioned you none the less.

There was another person there with Aj and Mike; I am told it was an older black guy. Can you confirm that? And can you tell me who that person left with??

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 12:34am
Randy,,IMO I bet it was Steve Hightower! AJ is his mouthpiece. Regardless AJ needs to go.  He is a disgrace to the city and we do not need a city leader acting like this. Better yet, when is the next council meeting? I will go and personally ask for his resignation!
Rob View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 12:49am
When my brother and I walked in there were five people sitting there, City Councilman Smith, Mr. Robinette, the "female acquaintance," her acquaintance, and yes, an older black gentleman.  I honestly have no idea who he was nor who he left with.  Mr. Robinette and this gentleman both seemed to disappear a short while after the waitress told Mr. Smith that he would have to move or leave.  I'm not saying that he left the building as it would appear Mr. Robinette did not because according to the article he paid the tab that AJ Smith left; however, I am saying that I did not see what happened to those two gentlemen because at that time I was paying my bill, watching the tv, getting ready to leave, etc.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Guests Guests wrote:

Originally posted by Dave Smith Dave Smith wrote:

Middletown sucks and most the people that live there is trying to get out.
Oh yeah?
Well, we have PAC.
And we have South Main Street.
And we have Highlands Historic District.
And we have a great Section 8 program.
And we have
You forgot:
We will have an enhanced gateway (expensive, gussied up I-75 interchange).
We will have several downtown gateways (actually just expensive, monument-type "Welcome to downtown" signs).
We will have an expensive to operate and maintain "water feature" (if Marty gets his way) at I-75.
We have a bike path (and more to come).
We have a model canal lock water feature downtown.
We have murals.
We will have junk auto hood "art", but only one dealership displaying actual new auto hoods on NEW autos for sale.
We have lots of symbolism, very little substance. (But that's OK, City Hall likes it that way!!!)
vannestmom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannestmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 3:19pm
i no a.j. and i think we should wait and get his side of the story before you all crucifiy him. even tho he dont owe anybody anything. this is personal. you all act like sharks with blood in the water when he has PERSONAL problems. nobody is perfect.  wait for the facts!!! 
"think before you judge"
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 3:46pm
Sorry vannestmom, you are wrong. As an elected official of this community you are held to a higher standard. His actions are TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE!!! Again he needs to resign, and if he has personal problems as you say, then he needs help! His only personal problem is himself. He listens to no one and does whatever he wants like most manchilds do. Your opinion is what is wrong with this communiity and our world!!
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 3:47pm
Just for your information there MOM, I posted the above post!
vannestmom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannestmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 4:08pm
smartman dont throw stones when u live in glass houses! i didnt say he has personal problems i said this stuff you all are talkin about is PERSONAL!!!! nobody on this page has made any mistakes? and yoiu all are just assuming and u no the old saying about assuming?!?!?!Embarrassed
"think before you judge"
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 4:41pm
vannestmom, you and your kind represent how far our society has fallen in the last three decades.  Not accountable, not responsible, living off my tax money to support your many kids, always making excuses for poor behavior.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 5:20pm
Sorry MOM if you think that AJ's actions are acceptable, then maybe you should get out of town too. When in public office, you have to represent your community in a positive manner. AJ does not know how!!
Rob View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 6:02pm
Actually VannestMom you did say he had personal problems..

"this is personal. you all act like sharks with blood in the water when he has PERSONAL problems."

You also state that everybody who has made comments on this blog are assuming when it comes to the incident at Applebee's and that we should get AJ's side of the story.
   1) I'm not assuming because I actually was at Applebee's and was a witness to the incident itself.
   2) The writer of the story which appeared in the Middletown Journal consulted with City Councilman Smith concerning the incident and got his side of the story prior to writing the article.
   3)I know what happens when one assumes, however, because the councilman was in fact drinking while at Applebee's (which he has stated), and because alcohol affects every person differently, I have to assume that his recollection of the incident may be somewhat construed.
   4)While these are personal problems, and he obviously does have personal problems considering his past history that was also splashed across the front of the newspaper.... he is still a city councilman, and is therefore going to be, and should be, held to a higher standard.  As a representative of not only his ward, but also the city and community in which he lives, he should realize that during his time in office he will always be held in the public eye.  This, and past incidents, tell me that he is still too immature to be "running the city."
Guest View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 6:16pm

Sad day for the city. One more black eye.

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 6:44pm
Here's a thought, this forum has had responses to issues from council folks and school board people. I greatly appreciate their responses to issues that we have discussed. Since they all read what goes on here, lets see if AJ has the stones to tell his side of the story here. He will probably have to wait until his handlers get back in town to write his response for him. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic