FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Tuscon Tragedy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tuscon Tragedy
    Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 8:04am
        What has happened in Arizona is truly beyond comprehension. It saturates the hearts of all freedom and peace loving people with grief above our capacity to contain. Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims, their families, their loved ones,neighbors, the city of Tuscon and even the suspect and his family.
        It raises many concerns. What has happened to our nation? This incident and all of the others like it happening across our nation show that we are in great poverty regarding our moral, spiritual and political values. As a nation are we reaping what we have sown? Have we sown the wind and are now reaping the
wirlwind?
        It is time we started to go back to teaching moral and spiritual values. We are spiritual beings and when our spiritual values are ignored we are lopsided, incomplete people. Many of our young are in jeopardy and their lives are void of answers they need to deal with the issues of life because of their moral and spiritual neglect.  They need to be taught that there are things that may be good enough to live by but they are not good enough to die by because there is a God and He will hold us all in judgement and we are accountable to him. To deny that doesn't make it less so. Our young need to be taught that in politics the battle is ideological and the battle is done in the public forum of debate and at the ballot box and not in physical violence.
       God have mercy on us all.
        Paul Nagy

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 8:51am
Paul....From our experiences living in Tucson, I might add that this tragedy occurred on the northeast side of town and is in an upscale area around Oracle and Ina Roads. Anything in the north/northeast of downtown Tucson is nice. Upscale resorts/shopping in the area where the Congresswoman and members of her party were shot. Proves it can happen anywhere...not just the stereotypical locations for crime. South Tucson is where this type of activity usually occurs.
Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 12:46pm
What's happened is that over the years, fringe cases, the emotionally unstable, and "causes" (including terrorism) have become extremely visible and active in our society. It started with the Kennedy and King assassinations, domestic airline hijackings and the Manson family in the 60s and has just exploded.

This does not exactly reflect on the people as a whole. It reflects on our society that those who are unstable seek a forum, and instant publicity through the barrel of a rifle sounds like an acceptable tradeoff to them.

Today, absolute fringe players drive our society - especially in terms of security measures. We must have absolute lockdown because 1 person out of 100,000 may choose, say, to bring a bomb on board a plane.

Since this forum gets very political I guess an appropriate comment could be made about hostile, divisive political talk across the spectrum driving the random nut cases to act. But, the Columbine massacre was non-partisan.

Freaks, nuts and weirdos seem to be having a field day. They now indirectly control us and run our lives. 

God help us indeed. Especially God help us from the security measures that will make us "safe".
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 6:21pm

My mother was a nurse at Longcliff Mental State Hospital in Indiana for many years and she was really upset that those held in this hospital would be released into the local communities when the hospital closed. She said it was difficult to control them in a controlled situation and feared what would happen to them on the outside. She was concerned  about the safety of the patients and also the general public.
   Every time I read one of these stories I think of the many stories my mother shared with me over the years about her patients.
   Our mental health system is broken and if we don’t make an effort to repair it soon we will continue to see these horrible acts of violence by the mentally ill.
    Manson was brought to Longcliff many years ago to be evaluated and my mother was part of the team that cared for him.

Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2011 at 7:31pm
^ Absolutely agreed. The push to deinstitutionalize the mentally ill is like the downward distortion of the federal unemployment figures. It takes the mentally ill "off the books" so things look better on the surface. But they are still out there, now wandering around with no checks.

I also think the terrible economy has a direct role, in two ways. 1) The bad economy has lead to an incredibly vindictive flavor of politics. The mood of today is just plain ugly. Candidates are now in each other's "crosshairs", and yeah, it's a metaphor, but a horribly chosen one that probably influences the loosest screws.  2) High unemployment results in fringe actors with lots of time on their hands to join jihaad movements or to invent their own "causes". In the past a nut job (ok, mentally unbalanced person) could get a low end job and find a place to live on the income. Today, they're homeless, living in their parent's basement, with tons of time on their hand to form conspiracy theories, rage and plan acts of violence.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic