FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sutphin Wrenn Demo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sutphin Wrenn Demo
    Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 6:56pm
Demo has begun on the old Sutphin Wrenn Paper Mill.

SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2011 at 8:45pm
Another shovel-ready site for development.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 3:31am
I was wondering what that building was!! I drove by it earlier today. Seems that a lot of paper mills are disappearing.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 6:30am
viper- yep, the American version of the papermills are dying a slow death. When I worked for Black Clawson in 2000, the majority of their papermaking machine business was in China. China is building all the new papermills nowadays. The US paper companies are buying up each other, gutting the mills of the bought up companies and moving the used equipment into their mills, eliminating the need to buy new, more expensive equipment. Today, Black Clawson's business focus is in China. That's one reason why they closed down the pilot plant/demo lab on Jefferson St. Fewer and fewer customers to demonstrate the equipment for (and Black Clawson moved their office complex out of Middletown to Mason-Montgomery Rd. for a higher visibility, more prestigious location).
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 8:15am
This is the wrong thread I suppose to bring up the city of Middletown demolishing Sunset poo, but as I don't know how to start a new thread (Help please!) and saw the wrecking ball (metaphor), I had to vent my sorrow and complete disgust with the city of Middletown's decision to destroy Sunset pool.

Middletown's city spends almost $350,000 annually is augmenting the losses of the golf course. How many use it? The city workers---is it a perk, the old Armco retirees that could not stand the thought of not having Weatherwax available for their use, or the golf team? Yet. Ms. G states its under-utilized, too expensive, and not needed in a modern society. 70% of the students whom attend Middletown schools are classified as coming from homes that are in poverty, and we can't support a swimming pool? How disgusting.

One of my parents best friends in college, drowned while swimming with them in a Lake, without having been taught good swimming techniques. Are they all to now use the splash pads? I commened Merrel Wood for at least bringing this heineous and cowardly act, in my opinion, to the public.

The city astonihses me daily. We float $500,000 to save the Thatcher estate worth $15 Mm, with no known commitment from Cincinnati State, while the costs continue, but that's okay with the city.

The golf course has been a loser for years, but that's okay, old retirees are more imporatnt to Middletown than young kids and young families, but bicycle paths adequately make up for the pool, as young adults all own Gary Fisher $1,000 bicylces and ride like Lance Armstrong daily. We have the airport losing money, but it is "A MUST HAVE" asset because someone in city hal has bought into the need that some major Fortune 500, someday, will want an airport fr their CEO to take off, land, and buy cheaper fuel than around the area, so that lost in revenue is justified.

I simply continue to remain confused, dazed, bewildered, and disgusted with the city of Middletown. Its contradictions are so often and apparent, I have run out of words to characterize it.

Well, in conclusion, as Merrel Wood has informed, add Sunset Pol to anoher brownfield, with all the others, just waiting for someone to snatch it up, convert it to a Fortune 1000, and Middletown is restored.

You know where Middletown's priorities lie: taking care of aging ertirees who want to play golf and maintaining the legacy of Mr. Thatcher, instead of spending a dime on Sunset Pool, and adding it to list of the wrecking ball achievements. The city has "sunk" to a new low. No pool, it sunk. Sad really. Life is too short to be saddled by incompetence and prejudice. Middletown, it ain't worth it anymore.  
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

This is the wrong thread I suppose to bring up the city of Middletown demolishing Sunset poo, but as I don't know how to start a new thread (Help please!) and saw the wrecking ball (metaphor), I had to vent my sorrow and complete disgust with the city of Middletown's decision to destroy Sunset pool.

1) Log in as usual
2) Find the forum for which you wish to place a post in the left column and click on it.
3) Just under the forum name, click on the "New Topic +" box.
4) "Create New Topic" page will appear.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2011 at 9:13am
Thank you 409.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2011 at 4:58am
If we did away with NAFTA, a lot of industry would come back to the U.S. It is sad that us Americans are supporting China's economy instead of our own. I think Middletown was paper and tobacco before it was steel :(
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 11:48pm
Hows the demo coming?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 3:17pm

Weather is finally decent for a couple of photos.

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 3:19pm
Great pictures, thanks for post. Also sad since I started my company in that building.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 3:48pm
I need to get out there and take some picts like you 409! It is always good to have some reference to how things use to be, especially if something is built in its place.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Great pictures, thanks for post. Also sad since I started my company in that building.
John....I thought I saw a ghost in the center of the building. Smile
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:39pm
funny and scary

Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

John Beagle

Middletown USA

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:38pm
LoL!!!!!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:43pm
Scary!!!  Obviously an evil spirit!!!  LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 1:19am

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 7:17am

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 9:56am
Almost gone
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 5:24pm
Wrenn Paper was one of the first mills to install computer control in the paper industry. This enabled them to take small orders for specialty papers because the computer made possible fast machine change overs from one order to the next.

Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 5:23pm
Now that's erie. lol

Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

John Beagle

Middletown USA

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 9:05am
Anyone know when this place closed down?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 10:34pm

Looks like remediation is about all that's left......

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic