FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newell Resigns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newell Resigns
    Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:40pm
We have Dennis Newell, 20 year high school principal at MHS, in his late 50's/ 60's perhaps, making $115,000+ resigning and leaving for another principal position. So close to retirement, firmly entrenched in this district. Wonder what happened for him to decide to leave so late in the game???? His choice or are they doing to Newell what they did to Ronai? Just seems like the rats are abandoning ship here lately, doesn't it? Or, is it coincidence? Always interesting to hear some "behind the scenes" gossip not told to the public on personnel matters. Anything to this or nothing to report? Anyone?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:37pm
You resigned(code word), show him the door, with his contract. Are you kidding me, your asking him for his opinion of how to better the school. This week only gets better and better, a council meeting that only J.R.R Tolkien could dream up to a P.R campaign straight out of the NFL. I know, theres more to the story. Edgewood here I come.
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 6:28am
They did not renew his contract. It wasn't his decision to leave unless he wanted to be fired.....He already has a job in St. Louis with Steve Price.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 6:35am
So, it was similar to Ronai with the non-renewal of a contract and the "resign or be fired" choice. Newell and Price in one school district.....again. Price takin' care of a buddy, huh? Feel sorry for that particular St. Louis school district. The Price carnage continues elsewhere. They will soon learn about who they have chosen and it won't be a happy occasion.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 3:48pm
jssmith2011 is right on the money on this one.

Today's Journal...

MIDDLETOWN — Dennis Newell, principal of Middletown High School, will rejoin former Middletown City Schools Superintendent Steve Price next year in the Hazelwood, Mo., school district near St. Louis.

Newell said he will accept the district’s early retirement incentives if the board approves the plan.
Teachers and administrators electing to participate would receive $45,000, plus an amount equivalent to applicable contractual sick leave pay in accordance with the collective-bargaining agreement.

AND THIS IS WHY I AM AN OPPONENT OF THE UNION COLLECTIVE BARGAINING SIDE OF THINGS TONYB. Another public double-dipper on the St. Louis school payroll.

Price, who was Middletown’s superintendent for seven years, did not respond to interview requests but is quoted in a post on the Hazelwood district’s website: “Dennis Newell will be an excellent leader for Hazelwood West High School. He has extensive experience managing a large high school and improving student achievement.”

OH HE-- NO!!!!!! PRICE IS AT IT AGAIN WITH THE LIES AND BS. "He has extensive experience managing a large high school and IMPROVING STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT".....Again.... IMPROVING STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT. Price can't be talking about the Middletown schools here.

Price is starting the lies again in St. Louis and those people don't know it yet. Mercy. They will in time. Just hope it doesn't take them 7 years to realize Price is all talk and no action at taxpayer expense.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 4:43pm
Vet, This another area that you need to let go of! The Hazelwood district is doing extremely well and with the addition of Mr Newell if will get even better. Geez,some people learn from mistakes thats what life is all about!! Maybe its time you do the same and stop all your negative little statements. People and situations change because of positives attitudes. Its time you let go of Dr Price! Hes gone. Maybe we should talk to your co workers about you? See what they think of your negative spin of life? Not a bad idea!!! LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 7:06pm
Thanks for the lecture Smartman. I'll take your comments under advisement for a very brief moment. Until I start drooling on myself and you are assigned my guardian, I don't need your guidance, thank you. There is alot of negativity in the world today. This school system and this town are screwed up big time. It is real. I don't handle this realism by looking at things through rose-colored glasses and with a "positive attitude" as you apparently have chosen to do. That is bs. It is people like you, who want to look the other way when people like Price have screwed up an entire school system for years to come, that result in problems never identified, therefore, never solved. Yes Price is gone, but his legacy lives on and hasn't been corrected by the new regime.

You state "Maybe we should talk to your coworkers about you. See what they think of your negative spin of life. Not a bad idea"....Ironic.....as a matter of fact, in my last performance appraisal, the big boss mentioned that he can't find a person in the entire department that doesn't have a nice thing to say about me. I don't take the "negativity" to work with me, bud. Just have it as it applies to this dam school system and town and the people who are running/have run both into the ground.

As the song by Joe South from the sixties says...."walk a mile in my shoes, before you criticize and accuse" Sometimes things happen in your life that brings out the bitterness. I am at that point. Perhaps in your lifetime, you will encounter the same thing that has happened to my family. Perhaps you will be as bitter as I am when that happens.

Until that day comes, you keep on enjoying your "positive" life. It may change in an instant as mine did.

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 7:28pm
Vet, First of all I'm not your Bud. Get that straight. I'm just tired of all you complaining no matter what the issue is and your lack of involvement,no matter what the excuse is. You spew nall your garbage and so call expertise on all subjects and never get involved. You hand on to everything that has been bad for this city and continue to bring it up all the time. Let the past go and look to the future. I have said it before shut up or put up. You Sir are BS.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 8:53pm
Smartman- On the subject of "getting involved".....

Have you ever:

1. Gotten in front of council and spoken to them suggesting change or letting them know how you feel on certain subjects?

I HAVE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS ALTHOUGH NOT AS MUCH LATELY.

2. Have you written letters to the editor expressing your concerns for the city or the schools?

I HAVE WRITTEN QUITE A FEW AND HAVE COPIES.

3. Have you ever run for office?

I'VE RUN FOR SCHOOL BOARD AND WAS PLACED ON THE BALLOT FOR STATE SENATOR BUT MADE NO EFFORT TO CAMPAIGN. HAVE A JOB AND NOT ENOUGH MONEY.

4. Have you attended any forums or council community meetings?

I'VE ATTENDED QUITE A FEW, AGAIN, NOT AS MUCH LATELY

5. Have you ever attended a school board meeting?

SEE #4.

If your answer is yes to these questions, congratulations. You have backed up your claim of positive involvement and I stand corrected. If your answer is no to these questions, then you are less involved than I.

I hang on to everything that has been bad for this city and continue to bring it up all the time BECAUSE THERE IS STILL BAD THINGS GOING ON IN THE CITY AND AS LONG AS IT CONTINUES, IT WILL BE BROUGHT UP BY MANY PEOPLE, INCLUDING MYSELF. Just as we "negative" people are free to discuss the issues, you are free to combat them with your positives. It's called discussion and debate and it is healthy for all parties. Sorry to hear of you being tired of all the complaining. Better get use to it. Looks like the schools nor the town will improve anytime soon. You could also opt out of the discussion too.

Oh, and the "bud" thing. Was meant to be sarcastic in case you didn't realize it. You seem on edge today Smartman. Did someone crap in your Wheaties this morning or are you just having a hormone imbalance?

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 9:03pm
To your question,,,yes to all except running for office. No imbalance here....just tired or your Holier than thou attitude and you constant bitching.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 10:33pm
Smartman- Really don't have a "holier than thou" attitude. More like a "know-it-all" attitude, to be more accurate. But hey, it's easy to do when you hide behind a screen name like we both do, right? As to my bitching.....if it's not a hormone imbalance on your part, it's probably just me. Keep the faith, Mr. Positive. It may all turn around to your way someday. But....I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

jssmith2011 is right on the money on this one.

Today's Journal...

MIDDLETOWN — Dennis Newell, principal of Middletown High School, will rejoin former Middletown City Schools Superintendent Steve Price next year in the Hazelwood, Mo., school district near St. Louis.

Newell said he will accept the district’s early retirement incentives if the board approves the plan.
Teachers and administrators electing to participate would receive $45,000, plus an amount equivalent to applicable contractual sick leave pay in accordance with the collective-bargaining agreement.

AND THIS IS WHY I AM AN OPPONENT OF THE UNION COLLECTIVE BARGAINING SIDE OF THINGS TONYB. Another public double-dipper on the St. Louis school payroll.

Price, who was Middletown’s superintendent for seven years, did not respond to interview requests but is quoted in a post on the Hazelwood district’s website: “Dennis Newell will be an excellent leader for Hazelwood West High School. He has extensive experience managing a large high school and improving student achievement.”

OH HE-- NO!!!!!! PRICE IS AT IT AGAIN WITH THE LIES AND BS. "He has extensive experience managing a large high school and IMPROVING STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT".....Again.... IMPROVING STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT. Price can't be talking about the Middletown schools here.

Price is starting the lies again in St. Louis and those people don't know it yet. Mercy. They will in time. Just hope it doesn't take them 7 years to realize Price is all talk and no action at taxpayer expense.

Vet - so you're telling me that Mr. Newell shouldn't be allowed to resign and take his pension and then take another job in another state? How is that a collective bargaining problem? Mr. Newell's record at the school notwithstanding, as a principal is he even covered by the teacher's union? I don't know about any of that but if he has worked long enough to receive a pension then he should get it. If he wants to leave the state to take another job that's his right. It's double dipping if he stays in the same job or in the same district with a different job. My support of collective bargaining doesn't have anything to do with this situation but I appreciate that you wanted to hear from me personally about the matter.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:15am
I would like to apologize for my remarks toward the Princpl. of MHS. I was quite emotional, and had tossed back a few. My opinion of the May 3rd council meeting stands.  Lots happening, seems the topic changed----again. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 5:02am
Originally posted by ground swat ground swat wrote:

I would like to apologize for my remarks toward the Princpl. of MHS. I was quite emotional, and had tossed back a few. My opinion of the May 3rd council meeting stands.  Lots happening, seems the topic changed----again. 
Your remarks towards the principal???  No apology necessary!!!
Tossing back a few without asking me to join you???  Apology accepted!!! LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 6:36am
Tony B...to answer your question, Administrators are not covered by the teachers union. Seniority does not prevail in the administrative ranks.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 8:57am
TonyB-

Teachers and ADMINISTRATORS electing to participate would receive $45,000, plus an amount equivalent to applicable contractual sick leave pay in accordance with the collective-bargaining agreement. NO COMPANY THAT I KNOW OF PAYS ACCUMULATED SICK PAY LEAVE WHEN THE EMPLOYEE LEAVES. YOU LOSE ANY AND ALL SICK TIME PAY WHEN YOU WALK OUT THE DOOR. THEY PAY ACCUMULATED VACATION TIME ONLY. THE SENTENCE ENDS WITH "IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT. HENCE MY COMMENT ABOUT COLLECTIVE BARGAINING DUE TO THIS SITUATION.

This isn't an early retirement for Newell, it is a resign, get a cool 45 grand plus accumulate sick time pay and leave for another district to continue working another full time job. He probably had the other job lined up with Price before he was offered the "early retirement" payout of 45 grand. Did he really retire under these circumstances? I don't know. It's a matter of how one looks at it. Here's something else to consider TonyB. When you are in the private sector, and you retire and start drawing a Social Security check each month based on what you contributed over the working years and the age that you retired, you are limited as to the amount of extra hours you can work to supplement your income. You can't work another 40 hour + full time job or you lose some of your SS paycheck. In the public sector, apparently since they didn't pay into Social Security, but had the taxpayer foot their retirement, the public sector worker, like Newell, can take their retirement at age .....what.....55? and immediately start working another full time job with no hour restrictions. You can't even start drawing a retirement paycheck in the private sector until you are 62 and at a greatly reduced rate. You have to wait until you are 70 to receive full SS. Now, I ask you, who has the advantage here, the public retiree or the private retiree?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:45pm
Vet, any fool can see the exodus from individuals like Newell and others (including the Head Deputy Sheriff that started by sweeping the jain but now retired at age 48 whom is so indispensible to Jones) are gaming the system, that is, taking advantage of the open window to retire, or take an easy package of cash, ergo, Newell, before the easy $$$ door is shut. That's all this play is about. He called his friend in Missouri who took care of him, just like the school board took care of Price. I have to admit, that practice does happen routinely in the private sector as well, the friend of friend or former employee, looking for an exit strategy, and the life line thrown out....in this case, Price to Newell. Don't sweat it, anyone with a brain knows what's going on. Its called wrecking up the cash before the door closes, just like Becker did, Lyons, you name it.

I am not a fan of AJS, but I have to point to the hypocrisy of Smartman on this issue, because he son or daughter (as he/ she repeatedly has stated), benefitted from the giving of grades at Middletown High School. No greater opponent nor outspeken critic of AJS than Smartman, but no stronger supporter of the school system, whom his family was a benefactor. Really a moot point, I am not a fan of Smith, but to ignore the gaming of public employees enriching themselves at taxpayer expense and to deby that, is calling the kettle 'black'. Self evdient what is occurring, and who can blame them. The system created it. Next time Smith is made a mockery, see whom the first individual to step forward condemning him Vet.

Live and learn, not worth a rse in blood pressure. It doesn't take a Master's Degree in Quantum Physics to comprehend why Mr. Newell is enriching himslef on this play, and Dr. Price more tha willing to help him out, just like the school board did Price. That''s the way this game is played many times over. Not the first, not the last.    
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 7:58pm
Newell gets the $45,000.00 plus sick leave. The sick leave probably totals another $30,000.00 because you can accumulate over 200 hours. Also, I understand there are more than 30 employees taking the "incentive" that the school district offered. You can check the minutes for the next board meeting but I'm pretty sure they won't give you a total amount.

Where has Marcia Andrews been? I wanted to point out to her that the librarian at John XXIII has been employed as a PAID employee for the past 19 years.

I would also like to state that my prediction about Ms. Million having a job for the upcoming school year is true. I hear she will have a position next year. Now I would like to bet that Greg Williams who was let go from Verity will fill the job at MHS.

So much for the "reduction in force" except for those classified people they got rid of. All the higher ups will end up somewhere.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 12:16pm
I heard yesterday that the buy-out has not yet been officially approved will be on the agenda for the board meeting on the 16th.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic