FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bus Service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bus Service
    Posted: May 07 2011 at 4:24pm
Today's Journal......

District approves contract to outsource busing
Middletown board approves 5-year, $15.1 million deal with Petermann Transportation.

The amended contract guarantees the district a savings of at least 10 percent over the life of the agreement, something previous proposals did not outline.

The district will pay Petermann $2.7 million in the first year of the contract and realize a savings of almost $1 million

Middletown City Schools stands to save about $5.4 million in operational savings over the life of the contract, according to district officials.

QUESTION HERE....WAS THERE AN OPTION TO CONTRACT PETERMANN FOR ONE YEAR TO SEE WHAT KIND OF JOB THEY WILL DO FOR US? WE ARE NOW LOCKED INTO A FIVE YEAR DEAL AND IF IT DOESN'T WORK OUT IN THE FIRST YEAR, WE ARE FORCED TO LIVE WITH IT FOR ANOTHER FOUR YEARS. IS THERE A CANCELLATION CLAUSE FOR PERFORMANCE?

“We’re going to make this a good thing,” Mike Hammond, Middletown’s transportation supervisor, said earlier this week. “I’ve got a good, professional company coming in to help me out.” IF PETERMANN IS GOING TO RUN THE PROGRAM, AND THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONNEL, WHY DO WE NEED HAMMOND AS A TRANSPORTATION SUPERVISOR? CAN'T WE ELIMINATE HIS POSITION AND PAY? "COMING IN THE HELP ME OUT" OR COMING IN TO DO MY JOB FOR ME?

Petermann will install new digital video cameras and GPS technology on all buses, according to the contract. The busing company also agreed to replace five buses a year. In the first year, the company will replace an additional three, meaning eight of Middletown’s 51 buses will be replaced next year. THIS IS A GOOD THING FOR THE DISTRICT.

Madison, Talawanda, Lakota and Monroe schools all outsource their transportation services to Petermann. WERE THEY CONTACTED TO GET AN OPINION ABOUT PETERMANN'S PERFORMANCE BEFORE SIGNING THE CONTRACT?

Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 8:22pm

If the outsourcing of bussing appears to be a good idea, with all drivers keeping their jobs, etc. then why wasn't this done 5 years ago?

Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 12:39pm
Vet - To answer your questions
QUESTION HERE....WAS THERE AN OPTION TO CONTRACT PETERMANN FOR ONE YEAR TO SEE WHAT KIND OF JOB THEY WILL DO FOR US? WE ARE NOW LOCKED INTO A FIVE YEAR DEAL AND IF IT DOESN'T WORK OUT IN THE FIRST YEAR, WE ARE FORCED TO LIVE WITH IT FOR ANOTHER FOUR YEARS. IS THERE A CANCELLATION CLAUSE FOR PERFORMANCE?

Yes there is a cancellation clause for non-performance.  Non-performance includes not achieving the 10% cost reduction.  The board provides 30 days notice and if the deficiencies are not corrented in 30 days, the board gives a 30 day notice and the contact is cancelled after 30 days.

IF PETERMANN IS GOING TO RUN THE PROGRAM, AND THEY HAVE THEIR OWN PERSONNEL, WHY DO WE NEED HAMMOND AS A TRANSPORTATION SUPERVISOR? CAN'T WE ELIMINATE HIS POSITION AND PAY? "COMING IN THE HELP ME OUT" OR COMING IN TO DO MY JOB FOR ME?
The District will not retain Hammond.  Hammond will become an employee of Peterman.
Madison, Talawanda, Lakota and Monroe schools all outsource their transportation services to Petermann. WERE THEY CONTACTED TO GET AN OPINION ABOUT PETERMANN'S PERFORMANCE BEFORE SIGNING THE CONTRACT

These and other districts were contacted numerous times to check Peterman's claims and to gather referrences.

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 1:31pm
Thanks for the information Mr. Fiora!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 3:06pm
Thank you Mr. Fiora. Nice to have a reply from another school board member beside Ms. Andrew, who has demonstrated that she has no problems communicating with the general public. I appreciate your reponse.

Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 12:39pm
Glad to help clear up some questions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic