FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roosevelt School Lot Activity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nezitiC nwotelddiM View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nezitiC nwotelddiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roosevelt School Lot Activity
    Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 10:11pm
On my home today I noticed a fence was going up and it looked like a man may have been soil testing?  Any ideas???
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2011 at 11:48pm
Oil has been discovered under private property East of Roosevelt.  In essence, Katie McNeil is going to "drink their milkshake"...

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 6:37am
Gotta make sure the soil is not too acidic for the paws of the doggies when the park opens and make sure the soil won't become too saturated with all the doggie poop that will be hitting the ground.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 11:23am
Stopped & talked to the fencing guys today.
They are putting up the fence to keep people from driving down the old driveway and dumping trash
Trash was being dumped mostly in the old track area.
There will still be pedestrian access.
Unbelieveable!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 1:29pm
Some people in Middletown have alot of class don't they 409? Was this going on with the school building there? Is it really better with the empty lot there now? If this is any indication of what is in store for this property, perhaps we don't need as much "green space" as the city leaders think we do.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

Stopped & talked to the fencing guys today.
They are putting up the fence to keep people from driving down the old driveway and dumping trash
Trash was being dumped mostly in the old track area.
There will still be pedestrian access.
Unbelieveable!
Probably just some of Middletowns finest dumping thier bedbug infested furniture since Rumpke refuses to haul it away unless its wrapped in plastic,its way cheaper to just dump it somewhere but maybe at least they could put it closer to the curb next time Im sure someone would come by and take it LOLLOLCry
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 7:49pm
hadn't thoght about that, bo...
explains the recent surge in couches and chair "surprises" at area businesses
a friend just had two matresses dumped behind his place--ugh...
think about touching them to haul them away...
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Some people in Middletown have alot of class don't they 409? Was this going on with the school building there? Is it really better with the empty lot there now? If this is any indication of what is in store for this property, perhaps we don't need as much "green space" as the city leaders think we do.
I took pix as the demo progressed and didn't notice any mess in the track area last fall.
This is the beautiful view now from the driveway. The neighbors must be impressed!
This is ugly as you drive by. What an impression.
What a waste of taxpayers money because of a few low-class people!  Unhappy

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 7:52pm
Your pictures present us with such a warm celestial view of greenspace. Kinda like driving past the Lebanon Correctional facility, isn't it.
It is certainly much better than that ratty old school building that once stood there.   
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2011 at 8:42pm

AMAZING photo, 409!!! It is practically perfect!!! I can picture it now.

All that is needed is to pipe in some purified water for the pampered puppies to slake their parched throats as they proudly prance about this pastoral park. Oh, and perhaps an air-conditioned gallery where the aristocratic owners can share tea and scones while discussing the latest plans to tax the poor to finance their gentrified schemes, between compliments on each other’s courtly canines.

Why, I doubt that a pooch park or two could cost the taxpayers of Middletown more than, say, $20,000 or so per year.  A pitifully puny pittance for the poor to pay to keep the local aristocracy happy.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 1:02pm
The fence was requested by the neighbors.  There was some unsavory activity going on and the neighbors requested the fence in hope of reducing this issue.  The school district is trying very hard to be a good neighbor and to be responsive to requests.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Chris Fiora Chris Fiora wrote:

The fence was requested by the neighbors.  There was some unsavory activity going on and the neighbors requested the fence in hope of reducing this issue.  The school district is trying very hard to be a good neighbor and to be responsive to requests.

Unsavory acts ? I visualize secretive city council meetings taking place here under the cover of night.LOLLOLLOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 4:20pm
It is ironic that when the school building was there, there was none of this "unsavory activity" going on (at least that was known to the public).
Now, after only a few months of the building being removed, we have a situation that requires the blocking off of the area with a fence. Eliminate one problem....the building and create another unforeseen one ......unsavory activity.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 6:36pm
That fence is very unattractive. Pretty tacky in an otherwise pleasant neighborhood.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2011 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Chris Fiora Chris Fiora wrote:

No one thought the galvanized fencing would be trashy?  No one uses that sh*t anymore. 

Black, or Green coated chain-link would have been much nicer!

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2011 at 12:15pm
I just question the position of it along the property frontage. Could have been done closer to the sidewalk or on the other side of the hill in front. The materials isn't really an issue because the rest of the property has a similar fencing around it already so it matches (in material type).
chmoore View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 10:26am
Micro-manage, everyone. Do nothing, and you get criticized for all of the dumping. Send patrol cars around continually, and the city gets criticized for misuse of manpower. I believe that fencing is a pretty standard solution. No "hidden plans" like a dog-park. Place the fence along the street? He doesn't like that idea. Place it farther down the hill---she doesn't like that. Use vinyl-coated fencing---get criticized for raising the cost. How about letting people do their jobs, and make some decisions. Or should the decision-makers consult you Monday-morning quarterbackers on every decision?
c.h. moore
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 10:35am
chmoore, if you'd spend a few minutes looking around at the state of our once-fair city, it would appear that your idea of letting the decision makers do it on their own has been an epic failure.

As a resident who lives on the same block as the school property, I don't mind that fence. It doesn't look bad and it isn't too noticeable from my standpoint as I drive by several times a day. I was merely wondering why put it in the middle of the property instead of near the front where the whole property is enclosed.
chmoore View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 11:04am
I understand what you're saying about the condition of some areas of the city. My point is that the first thing that the quarter-back club elects to do is not be grateful that the district (or city) is trying to maintain the property and say "thanks for doing a nice job," but, instead, have ten different ways of complaining, e.g., why wasn't it vinyl coated, thanks for removing an unwanted building and trying to keep the lot presentable. I'm just trying to eliminate so many negative comments. There have been a lot of good things happening here. Thanks for the comments, Scouter. CHMoore
c.h. moore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 11:22am
chmoore states "There have been a lot of good things happening here".

AND WHAT WOULD THOSE GOOD THINGS BE MOORE? WE HAVE ANOTHER EMPTY LOT SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF A ONCE-PROMINENT RESIDENTIAL AREA. WE HAVE A NEW ACTIVITY THAT WE DIDN'T HAVE BEFORE THE SCHOOL WAS LEVELED......ILLEGAL DUMPING. WE HAVE THE COST TO THE SCHOOL BOARD WITH THE INSTALLATION OF THE FENCE TO SOLVE A PROBLEM THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE. WE HAVE A LARGE BARREN LOT WITH NO APPARENT FUTURE, NEEDING MOWING MAINTENANCE IN SEASON. THIS IS ANOTHER IN A LONG LINE OF ONCE OCCUPIED PROPERTIES THAT HAVE GONE THE WAY OF THE WRECKING BALL RESULTING IN ANOTHER VACANT LOT WITH NO DEVELOPMENTAL VALUE IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. ANOTHER "GREENSPACE" IN A LONG LINE OF "GREENSPACES" CREATED BY THE CITY FOR WHAT PURPOSE? "PROPOSED BUILDING SITES? GIVE ME A BREAK. WHAT BULL----. JUST LIKE MOST OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA....JUST LIKE EVERYTHING THE CITY TOUCHES. GO AHEAD AND DEFEND THE CITY. YOU CAN JOIN THEIR RANKS OF DEFENDERS. YOU ARE IN THE MINORITY IN NUMBER IN THAT REGARD. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SANCTION INEPTNESS IN YOUR CITY GOVERNMENT BY YOUR DEFENSE OF THEM? NOT LOGICAL.
chmoore View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 11:42am
Mr. Vet: I once saw the postings about making good use of district buildings. Roosevelt was vacant. This was known to be the case when the voters approved the building program. It sat empty for a couple of years---costing the taxpayers money! The grass needed to be mowed.. the cupola was starting to rot! It's costing us money! It's an eyesore! What to do--what to do??? Nobody wanted the building. So, it was demolished, and now the vacant lot needs to be mowed. I don't recall hearing any thing about the old hospital site---must be because we can't see the hillside from Central Avenue. Why don't we sell the Roosevelt lot?? Maybe because nobody wants it. It's costing me money!!!! Oh, no, what will we do? It's becoming a dumping ground for old mattresses. What will I do?
c.h. moore
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by chmoore chmoore wrote:

Mr. Vet: I once saw the postings about making good use of district buildings. Roosevelt was vacant. This was known to be the case when the voters approved the building program. It sat empty for a couple of years---costing the taxpayers money! The grass needed to be mowed.. the cupola was starting to rot! It's costing us money! It's an eyesore! What to do--what to do??? Nobody wanted the building. So, it was demolished, and now the vacant lot needs to be mowed. I don't recall hearing any thing about the old hospital site---must be because we can't see the hillside from Central Avenue. Why don't we sell the Roosevelt lot?? Maybe because nobody wants it. It's costing me money!!!! Oh, no, what will we do? It's becoming a dumping ground for old mattresses. What will I do?

What will we/you do?

We'll ask our friends at city hall to help us.

The city is friends with the feds and HUD, right? Probably a direct line to the HUD bigwigs.

I say contact them, offer them the land, build more Section 8 housing on these empty lots, including the old Roosevelt school/old hospital site (across the street from the prestigious Highlands historical area) and really "ghetto-up" the city. I'm sure those high rollers in the Highlands area and in the former Roosevelt school neighborhood would go along with that. I know Gilleland and crew would welcome the additional HUD fed money revenue to re-direct in running the city. Let's really go all out on those voucher numbers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic