FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AK to build new R&D facility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AK to build new R&D facility
    Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 6:03pm
A reliable source on Council has informed me that AK will construct a new R&D facility in the Renaissance area across from Atrium Medical Center.

AK will move R&D from existing facilities.

Tax abatement will be required for AK to proceed.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 7:47pm
 I guess a good thing??  Probably no additional jobs and city loses several years of taxes due to the abatement.  I guess better than losing R&D to another area but still nothing to get too excited about.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 8:22pm
The R&D numbers I heard were that AK went from ~ 340 employees to around 30-40 now. Guy across the street from me worked for Research for around 30 years as a technician doing Instron Tensile testing. Was cut two years ago and says he can't find a job making $8-10 per hour, much less than what he was making at AK. Sad to see him sitting in a chair in the driveway when I come home from work. Hard to talk to him. What do you say to offer him any hope? His wife had to go back to work to help with the bills. The job situation is a disgusting scenario now, isn't it?

I agree Bill.....this move to the east side appears to be made for the tax abatements. .....nothing to get too excited about. Sure won't ramp up operations and hire more people. Nice facility on Curtis they are leaving even though the location is not business friendly. Higher visibility from I-75, no doubt.
Voleye View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 10:10pm
that is good news.  I just hope Monore isnt going to sue to keep them from building it.....
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 4:35am
If this comes to fruition, it is good news.  AK could just as easily have decided to move this facility to West Chester, near their home office.  My guess is that it is presently cheaper to build here in Middletown where no one else wants to come.  Let's hope that they get past the point of no return with the project before the next round of local tax increases tilts the numbers back in favor of West Chester.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 10:40pm
The project has been in the works for 2 years. West Chester was a location AK considered.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 10:48pm
My guess is this project is the impetus behind recent legislation for roadwork grants on the Neyer property along Union Road.

Like MS29, I am aware that this project has been in the works for a while. Another sticky point is the old facility and getting a brownfield grant for it. I'd rather see a brownfield grant for reuse by another entity (like we are seeing with the old Miami Packaging) versus complete demo. The building facade is a fine example of art deco, and has quite a history associated with it. My guess is both the city and AK will want it gone to return the entire former AK campus to reuse.

I consider it Middletown's consolation prize for the HQ relocation to West Chester. Still, its positive move in the right direction for that area, and will hopefully lead to additional growth in Renaissance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic