FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Cemetery Board

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Cemetery Board
    Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 10:27am

At the conclusion of the last Middletown Cemetery Board Meeting, the members were going to visit the cemetery to discuss the layout and problems with the driveways at the cemetery. However after the removal vote of Mr. McNeil as chairman the visit was canceled so this topic will be discussed at the next board meeting.

Over the past 6 years I have request numerous times that the trees in the East fence line (CSX side) be removed and the fence be repaired. I was told by the City that they didn’t know where their lot line was located therefore they didn't know who owned the trees that needed to be removed. They would need to contact CSX and get them to clear the lot line. This is also the same story that I have heard about the repair of the South fence line…..However….upstairs in the Engineer’s Office is a complete survey of the cemetery.

At the next cemetery meeting the board is going to discuss a possible new layout for the driveways at the cemetery and maybe the removal of some driveways so less gravel would be needed and therefore reduce the cost of maintenance at the cemetery.

However I do have a few questions and concerns about this project.  
If you reduce the enter driveways it will cause an undue hardship on the families wanting to place flowers on the grave sites because the section will be so large.
I’m also not sure since the cemetery was declared historic that you can change the current driveways….you will need to get a ruling on this matter.
How can you layout or even repair the driveways when you DO NOT know where the corner pins are for each and every section of this cemetery so therefore you DO NOT know where the driveways SHOULD BE.
It is my humble opinion that the entire cemetery needs to be surveyed and marked before any of these projects can move foreword.
If you want to protect the two problem areas you could put a metal post in the ground and paint it bright orange to stop the cars from running over the tombstones until you can solve the survey problem.

Several years ago I got a quote on gravel for the current driveways and I believe the quote was about $18,000.  Is the City going to be footing the bill for this improvement?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 8:34am

July7, 2011
Wednesday

Middletown Cemetery Board

I have had a few heated discussions within the last week concerning the Gunckle Family Plot at the
Middletown Cemetery located at the end of the main driveway.

If you look at this photo you will see that it is not only Ida Vail Gunckle’s tombstone that has been damaged but those of her entire family seem to have been damaged in a similar manner.
You must find the section corner pin before you can solve this problem.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 9:00am
So in that picture the stone that is being run over as part of the driveway is someone's headstone? Wow, that's nuts.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 10:31am
Middletownscouter
Yes that's correct.
It looks like all of these stones may have been run over at some point in time. Maybe in the winter when snow was on the ground and they couldn't see the stones.
The records show that Ida Vail Gunckle is buried in the corner 1st lot and her husband Charles F Gunckle is buried buried beside her in the 2nd lot.
Summerrain1957 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summerrain1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 4:30pm
So where exactly would this Corner Pin or Corner Lot Marker be located, because I am surprised that after all the time you spent in the cemetery it has not been uncovered or located by you or someone else in the city.

Does anyone have an old map of the cemetery that might show how that driveway looked, or was there even a driveway there to begin with.

So why can't the corner be squared off and a marker or stake put there? 

I do not think that the roadways can be widened or roads blocked off that is just crazy. 

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Summerrain1957 Summerrain1957 wrote:

So where exactly would this Corner Pin or Corner Lot Marker be located, because I am surprised that after all the time you spent in the cemetery it has not been uncovered or located by you or someone else in the city.

Does anyone have an old map of the cemetery that might show how that driveway looked, or was there even a driveway there to begin with.

I do not think that the roadways can be widened or roads blocked off that is just crazy. 

There probaly is a map but are "SPINELESS" ones would just be more confused.LOL....I wrote them a email yesterday asking if they could explain to me why the tarps was taken down and why they wasnt replaced?Sooner or later we will get more rain.But again just shows you are "SPINELESS" ones could care less.Smile Whats it going to take for them to get that the people of Middletucky just dont believe in them anymore?Confused
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 8:28am
    So where exactly would this Corner Pin or Corner Lot Marker be located, because
Summerrain - The iron corner marker was placed in each corner of this section when it was surveyed and can be located with a metal dectector by the city. If not then they will need to resurvey the area.
    I am surprised that after all the time you spent in the cemetery it has not been uncovered or located by you or someone else in the city.
The marking of the roads and sections can only be done by the City. Not my job.
The City has all the survey maps at the Engeneer's Office to solve this problem.
That is the same question that I have been asking.....You will need to restrick all the large City trucks from using this corner. They will need to use nothing larger than a pick up truck.
You must find the corner markers in order the find out where the drives are located. The drives in the cemetery are different widths. I believe the main driveway is 16' and the short driveway in front of the vault is 30' wide. I believe all this informations is clearly marked on the maps located in the Engineers Office.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 10:08am

I sent the following email to the Middletown Cemetery Board and the City this morning.

July 7, 2011

Thursday

Middletown Cemetery
Board

Re:  
Middletown Cemetery Gates

Before you start locking the gates again at the cemetery I would suggest that you purchase large reflectors from Tractor Supply and place them on the gates so they will not be damaged again. Reflectors are located on both sides of the gates at Woodside Cemetery

Vivian Moon

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 10:37am
Who's the chair person ?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 10:55am

Ground Swat
I haven’t got a clue at this point how this will all play out at the next board meeting. I thought they were going to have a board meeting last night however I was told that the board meetings will be the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month.

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 2:20pm
What a disgrace.

Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" ="Msonormal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'">July7, 2011Wednesday<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><O:P></O:P></SPAN>

<?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><ST1:PLACE><ST1:PLACENAME><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Middletown</SPAN></ST1:PLACENAME><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> </SPAN><ST1:PLACE><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Cemetery</SPAN></ST1:PLACE></ST1:PLACE><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> BoardI have had a few heated discussions within the last week concerning the Gunckle Family Plot at the </SPAN><ST1:PLACE><ST1:PLACENAME><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Middletown</SPAN></ST1:PLACENAME><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> </SPAN><ST1:PLACE><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA">Cemetery</SPAN></ST1:PLACE></ST1:PLACE><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA"> located at the end of the main driveway.If you look at this photo you will see that it is not only Ida Vail Gunckle’s tombstone that has been damaged but those of her entire family seem to have been damaged in a similar manner.

You must find the section corner pin before you can solve this problem.

</SPAN>
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 3:10pm
Jonathan
While doing the research for the
Middletown Cemetery and trying to understand what had happened over the years I found newspaper articles going back 60 years discussing the unkempt condition and the destruction of tombstones at this cemetery. Several groups have stepped forward to try to improve the condition however these group received no support from the City and the cemetery returned to its former condition.
Why have we allowed this to continue for 60 years as we have spent millions of dollars on other projects?

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 3:55pm
Does any one have a map etc of the cemetetary or names etc ?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 5:12pm
Bocephus
Here is the link to the Middletown Cemetery web page.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohcmiddl/MiddletownCemetery1.htm
It contains all the known 7,000 people buried in the cemetery and more than 4,000 photos of their tombstones.
If you need more information on any person you may contact me at
diggerviv@juno.com and I will send you any information that I have in my files
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 8:07pm
Thanks Ms. Moon, thought meeting was last night also, If you can keep the pictures coming. I still feel that the down line folks at the city do want to do the right thing for this Cemetery but are caught up in the never ending BullSH-T of the second floor at the city building.  Yep, markers being driven over at OUR City Cemetery. Maybe the Board can create a sub-com. to study this issue!?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 9:48pm
Thanks Vivian...found my grandfathers mom, dad and brother on your list.

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2011 at 11:24pm
Hear we are suppose to get rain and no tarps are up.We have "IDIOTS" that run this dead town.Smile
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 12:21am
So, the City of Middletown has $9,900 to DEMOLISH perfectly good street lights on South Main Street, but doesn't have the money to re-install tarps on the 150 year old vault at the HISTORIC Pioneer Cemetery???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 4:12am
Perhaps a petition requesting a replica antique tarp would sway the village council.  Their purse strings seem to be easily loosened by that sort of thing. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 6:38am

The Middletown Cemetery Committee presented  a petition of more than 220  names requesting the restoration of the cemetery and vault and the City Council did’t say a word.

Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 7:08am

The Middletown Cemetery Committee presented  a petition of more than 220  names requesting the restoration of the cemetery and vault and the City Council did’t say a word.

My dear Ms. Moon,
Pardon me for being unclear.  In this case, the Council will require a petition with the signatures of a minimum of 60% of the residents of the plots abutting the vault.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 7:37am

Ahhh Richard you are really on a role this morning LOLLOLLOL

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 8:18am

Bocephus
Did you find the information that you needed on my web site for the
Middletown Cemetery?

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 11:01am

Bocephus
Did you find the information that you needed on my web site for the
Middletown Cemetery?

Thanks Vivian I got the link haven't had much time to look at it yet until a little later ,I will let you know thanks again.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2011 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

Perhaps a petition requesting a replica antique tarp would sway the village council.  Their purse strings seem to be easily loosened by that sort of thing. 
MR.Saunders maybe you can ask one of your "Spineless" buddies why they didnt take the tarps and labor to put back up on the vault?Wouldnt have cost them a thing but there comeant to me was "WE HAVE IT HANDLED."They havent had anything handled for years.They all need to just go away. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic