FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tonight's council meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonight's council meeting
    Posted: Oct 18 2011 at 10:57pm
I was called away during part of tonight's council meeting.  Here are a few comments on the parts that I saw:

“We’ve looked at a couple of different options already…” said Mayor Mulligan, in reference to the Community Center budget.  When, Mr. Mayor, did “we” look at them???  I don’t recall it happening at any open meeting of City Council, where all of the City’s business is required by law to be discussed.

I see that City Hall tried to pass another “moratorium” for their friends tonight.  The last “moratorium” in Middletown that I recall was on ALL development around the then proposed Atrium site.  Oops…make that an “almost moratorium on ALMOST all development”!!!  When a “friend of city hall” wanted to begin the Renaissance development, he was quickly granted the sole exception to the “moratorium” and given a monopoly on development in this desirable area while all of his competitors were forced to sit on their hands during the height of the housing and ecomonic boom.  I, for one, was glad to see this moratorium fail.  The way our city hall works, we probably would have seen only a single “internet café”, owned by a “friend of city hall”, granted an exception and given a head start over any future competition in the field.  Kudos to Mr. Laubach and Ms. Scott-Jones for their stance on this issue.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic