FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City of Middletown My Town Video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City of Middletown My Town Video
    Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 2:18pm

http://youtu.be/lrQPrSS12BYHope this works....if not someone fix it so everyone can enjoy.
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 3:28pm
Given that this was done on the day of the firefighter layoffs and on company time, was this the smart thing to do?Confused
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 8:37pm
That is absolutely painful to watch.  I'm guessing more than a few people felt they had to do it under penalty from their boss.
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 9:44pm

http://www.wlwt.com/news/29989574/detail.html?taf=cin

Voleye View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voleye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 7:06am

ConfusedConfusedConfused  I think if I were supposed to be in that I would have called in sick that week.....

blue7 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:41am
I think it's funny, but I'm totally with you Voleye. It has definitely generated some buzz.
Jack Black View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 2:24pm
It certainly looks like time for several of these well-paid "Public Servants" to be contestants on tv's The Biggest Loser.  And, Les Landen sure looks so much like "Joe the Bartender" from the old Jackie Gleason tv show.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

That is absolutely painful to watch.

I agree!

I tried to watch it earlier but I got the chills and had to stop.

Trying again now. Wish me luck!
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:11pm
If Gilleland et al would use as much energy and creativity solving city problems as they do on Christmas videos we would all be better off
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:28pm
I wonder how many of these city servants even live in town? I suspect at least half of the public safety (71%+ of our budget) aren't even city residents.

so whose town is it really?
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 11:13pm
After finally watching that video, I am throwing up my dinner and my ears are bleeding,but not to my surprise this crap depicts how this town is viewed by everyone.Embarrassed
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 7:12am
From the Journal.....

City manager defends musical video
Complaints include it was in poor taste after recent budget cuts, layoffs

MIDDLETOWN — City Manager Judy Gilleland is defending a campy YouTube video created to entertain city employees at a recent holiday luncheon.

The video has generated a fire storm from Facebook users and bloggers, saying the video was in poor taste after the city recently stripped millions from the general fund budget, which included the elimination of firefighter positions.

“I know if I was laid off, and then I saw my bosses prancing around in a goofy video, I’d be a little upset,” Harvey said. “I’ve gotten a lot of phone calls, that’s for sure   

But the camp, Gilleland said, was the point. After budgetary hardships, cutbacks and debate, a laugh was in order

BUT JUDITH.....WE GET PLENTY OF LAUGHS FROM YOUR DAY TO DAY ACTIVITIES IN RUNNING THIS TOWN. WE DON'T NEED A POORLY DONE. HAYSEED VIDEO TO TEACH US TO LAUGH.

“Times are tough for the entire nation,” she said. “It’s been a very difficult budget year here in Middletown. We’ve experienced a reduction of 27 positions — six of which were fire positions ... (but) we have about 350 city employees here whose moral we have to keep moving in a positive direction so they can be reminded of why we’re here and why we’re doing the jobs we’re doing.”

"WHO'S MORAL WE HAVE TO KEEP MOVING IN A POSITIVE DIRECTION?"-JUDY G.

WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP. WHO'S BSing WHO HERE .....JUDITH?

“I can’t control people who are going to think negatively about things ... they’re going to do that regardless,” Gilleland said. “If you make any decisions, you’re open to criticism

BINGO....AND YOU PROVIDE US WITH MANY OPPORTUNITIES TO DEMONSTRATE THAT NEGATIVITY, DON'T YOU....JUDITH.

The lyrics were written by Gilleland and city historian Sam Ashworth.

GOOD LORD!, I WOULDN'T HAVE TOLD ANYONE THAT. NO SHAME APPARENTLY. NEVERTHELESS, GLAD THE BOYFRIEND GOT INVOLVED AND YOU GAVE HIM A LITTLE CREDIT, JUDY.

Some, she said, have offered to pay the $200 next year to make another.

YEAH, RIGHT. YA GOTTA LOVE THE LITTLE FIBS ALONG THE WAY THAT TAKE THE STING OUT OF THE EMBARRASSMENT.

“I feel like the holiday video was done very appropriately and for the right reason,” she said. “It was to bring some joy to an otherwise dreary year.”

MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE INTENT, BUT ENDED UP THE BUTT OF MANY JOKES ON YOU TUBE, CREATING ANOTHER EMBARRASSING EVENT FOR THE CITY. LAURA WILLIAMS WOULD BE PROUD ABOUT NOW.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 7:25am
This is no big deal (other than the horrible singing).  Much ado about nothing.  All of this reminds me of the gotcha game that policitians are known for. Pounce on every little offense, however small.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 7:48am
another theme 2 live by
for those of u who didn't watch this legend play in my living room:

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 8:20am
the queen was a big party girl while her time spent in lebanon..
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 8:23am
Wow who cares? You guys will cry about anything. If you don't think keeping up good morale is important then you guys have never held a job. It's a funny and goofy music video that probably took each department 10 minutes to do. Geez, much whining and crying about nothing.
AK - What is going on with that?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 10:31am

Morale?  Don't know if you work for the city but it's going to take alot more than this to promote high morale. Talk to any city employees lately, worked with any of them?  We pay several dept. heads six figures and to hear them talk the "Queen" has a real hard time letting them do their job, I'd call that a morale buster!  Maybe instead of morale we call it goofing off. How many wanted to do this or how many were told to do this?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by AKBobby AKBobby wrote:

Wow who cares? You guys will cry about anything. If you don't think keeping up good morale is important then you guys have never held a job. It's a funny and goofy music video that probably took each department 10 minutes to do. Geez, much whining and crying about nothing.

It's more than that to some AKBobby. The whole thing, including the effort, the professionalism, the bumpkinish effect it had as a final product, re-enforces the town's image as a low budget, flea-market entertainment, laughing stock in the region. If we're ever gonna get to 50% of where the West Chesters, the Springboro's, hell, the Monroe's and frikkin Franklin's are now, we better put the brakes on this type of image killing behavior. It is intended as a light hearted, funny, comical type of production, but it is the epitome of what we are now and how we are looked at. It didn't help in creating a more sophisticated reputation and mires us in the "joke of the area" category. Need to try to have some class in what we do for a change.JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 11:32am
The problem with this is as follows. 1) In two years, no reference nor statement has been made or a notation, of a city employee that lost his life, disrespectful. 2) The music did not match the season. 3) It is inappropriate for the city manager and her friend to do a parity of laying on a conference table (although that probably does happen frequently in city hall). 4) If the intent was for the city workers, what was the purpose. It wasn't just leaders in on the video- the choreograph, the city had all departments from the Magistrate's clerk of court to the water department. These types of things in companies are done by execs for their employees, not employees in on the action---what's the point if you are the participant? 5) I cannot go anywhere from Columbus to Cincinnati that Middletown is not brought up in a negative, laughing stock vein. What purpose did reference to Forbes Magazine 4 years ago, do, other than reinforce and re-establish an article one would think, a leader would rather wish to diminish the visibility, not broadcast it? 6) It tool about 8 hrs to splice and assemble this entourage telling fellow city workers Merry Christmas. Pride? Not when the city manager is laying down on a conference table- defeats the purpose. Why can't anyone in Donham comprehend marketing do's and don't's?

Any visibility that generates more negative publicity than positive, is a net loss. Bad decision.
Jack Black View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 12:17pm
How offensive it is to see Jolly Judy sprawled out in her slenderizing Lane Bryant outfit.  And, there's Mr. Adkins wearing his "Festivus" toke.  After all, he has so much fun lavishly spending/wasting our hard-earned Federal tax dollars.  Embarrassed
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 1:26pm
The illusion continues for the creators and "pro-city" folks behind this video. They believe our town is just like anywhere else and we just have a bad rap. They therefore think all is going well here and we need to be more proud of Middletown and trumpet ourselves. Kind of a get out the vote campaign. Anyone want to help plant a little more landscaping for Forbes?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 1:39pm
Here's the link the City Managers Weekly NewsLetter
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Originally posted by AKBobby AKBobby wrote:

It's more than that to some AKBobby. The whole thing, including the effort, the professionalism, the bumpkinish effect it had as a final product, re-enforces the town's image as a low budget, flea-market entertainment, laughing stock in the region. If we're ever gonna get to 50% of where the West Chesters, the Springboro's, hell, the Monroe's and frikkin Franklin's are now, we better put the brakes on this type of image killing behavior. It is intended as a light hearted, funny, comical type of production, but it is the epitome of what we are now and how we are looked at. It didn't help in creating a more sophisticated reputation and mires us in the "joke of the area" category. Need to try to have some class in what we do for a change.JMO

Ok I can agree with most of that lol. I just can't believe how people are going nuts over this I guess.
AK - What is going on with that?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic