FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here It Comes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here It Comes
    Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 6:58am
Today's Journal....

Mort, Mulligan look forward to council terms

Middletown needs to rebrand itself, said Mulligan, whose background spans sales, marketing and law.

“There’s a plan in the works now to come up with a branding strategy for Middletown and that’s important,” the 36-year-old said. “I think those efforts are going to be key

YOU BETCHA JOE. ALL THE PREVIOUS REBRANDING HAS CERTAINLY WORKED OUT WELL, HASN'T IT? NEW SLOGANS....SAME PROGRAMS/IDEAS.....RESULTS IN THE SAME "NOTHING HAS CHANGED" RESULTS.

THIS IS THE START OF THINGS.....

Not all initiatives carry hefty price tags, Mort said. Items of interest that can be accomplished without straining the budget include establishing a one-stop shop in the city building and adding more accommodations to Bicentennial Commons.

She also sees Middletown Moving Forward — a community improvement corporation with economic development interests — as a key organization in the years ahead.

“We have a good thing started downtown with the arts district and Broad Street Bash concerts and Cincinnati State,” she said. “We have a good start, and we know where our problems are.”

MMF MENTIONED ALREADY......ADDING MORE ACCOMMODATIONS TO BICENTENNIAL COMMONS????? WHAT THE HELL FOR MORT? WHAT IS IT WITH YOU AND YOUR FIXATION ABOUT THE COMMONS? LET IT GO. IT TURNED OUT TO BE ANOTHER MISTAKE. ONE STOP SHOP AT THE CITY BUILDING? THE BASH.....YES. CINCY STATE......MAYBE, THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON COMMITMENT......ARTS DISTRICT DOWNTOWN......WHEN, WHAT IMPACT, ATTRACTING HOW MANY PEOPLE AND GROWTH MORT? THE PAC MAY NOT SURVIVE LONG-TERM.

BOTTOM LINE.....NEITHER MENTIONED JOB CREATION OR FIXING THE STREETS/INFRASTRUCTURE AS A PRIORITY. THAT IS WHAT WE REALLY NEED BEFORE ANY OF THIS OTHER CRAP IS CONSIDERED. YOU CAN SEE WHERE SHE IS GOING TO POSITION HERSELF ON THE DECISION-MAKING. IT WOULD APPEAR WE HAVE ANOTHER ONE OF THE TOWN DESTROYERS ON COUNCIL FOLKS, THIS SAID BEFORE SHE STARTS HER MMF PUPPET NONSENSE AGAIN.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 8:45am

SHEESH!!!

Another “re-branding”???  How many times are they gonna try this before they figure out that no matter WHAT you call something…it still doesn’t change the something!!!   “A cowpie by any other name still smells the same.”  (I think William Shakespeare said that.)

Let’s see…we’ve had Renaissance City;  Renaissance East and West;  MiddletOWN IT;  Bright past, Brighter flash;  and many others that I can’t even remember.  Regardless, NOTHING has changed!!!  It’s like when “Larry Mulligan” re-branded himself “Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr.”…it might have made him more distinguished in his own mind, but it didn’t really change anything and no one else thought he became distinguished.

Perhaps I’ll re-brand myself as Mike “the world’s fastest human” Presta.  Surely then I’ll be able to set  new world records in the hundred yard dash, and the 440, 880, and mile runs!!! 

Yeah!!!  That’s the ticket!!!  Mike “the world’s fastest human” Presta!!!  I’m re-branded…and that changes everything!!!  (Doesn’t it???)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 8:58am

Historic Vet,

I have no idea why Ms. Mort wants to “add more accommodations” to Bicentennial Commons.  Perhaps she has been so busy the last six or eight years that she doesn’t realize that it has only been used two or three times (and for very small events at that) during that period???

Also, during both pre-election “candidate forums”, she clearly stated that she intended to “play nice” with the other members of council should she be elected, so no one should be surprised that she is falling right in line.  If the electorate wanted anything other than that, they had a clear choice.  They knew what they would be getting, and they made their choice.

It was a HISTORIC election, and they got a HISTORIC councilwoman!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 9:30am
Another “re-branding”??? How many times are they gonna try this before they figure out that no matter WHAT you call something…it still doesn’t change the something!!!

Funny Mike
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 9:47am
Jonathon,
I can think of a several very funny comments to make about the picture that you posted, and not one of them is very nice.  They are, however, HISTORIC!!! LOL LOL LOL
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

Another “re-branding”??? How many times are they gonna try this before they figure out that no matter WHAT you call something…it still doesn’t change the something!!!

Funny Mike

Sexy ! LOL
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 12:40pm
The re-branding needs to be for the younger generation that we all hope will either stay or move into this town. The Commons? Good God!! What about the Master Plan? What's going on out on the highway, and all of us know that other cities are fighting for this business but who's our Eco. Devel. Point person. Isn't this 2012???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 4:27pm

Well...Mike “the world’s fastest human” Presta here…and I’m sorry to report that my latest “re-branding” effort didn’t go too well.

Once I announced my HISTORIC rebranding to the world (or at least to everyone who has the internet) this morning, I decided that I should make at least some small effort at actually changing things prior to my assault on the world record for the 100 yard dash at the next big event at Bicentennial Commons.  I was sure that next big event would be coming up quickly—probably this weekend—so I figured I should get started right away.

We are told that re-branding changes everything, so I figured all I would need was a few wind sprints up and down HISTORIC Pennswood Drive to get my body into top shape after decades of abuse, misuse, neglect, and infirmity, so I did my preparatory stretching and warm-ups (for me, putting on my socks and shoes classifies as “preparatory stretching and warm-ups”) and headed outside to tear up the street.  (I use the term “tear up the street” metaphorically and, as with all other streets in our town--except for the mayor’s--our street is already crumbling, so don’t blame me!!!)

Now, due to some of my infirmities, I cannot get down into the starting blocks (even after clearly explaining to my body that I am now “the world’s fastest human”) so I just sort of leaned into the wind and waited on the weekly test of the emergency sirens to signal the “start”.  Then it occurred to me that it was Thursday and the siren testing was on Wednesday.  Now I knew that re-branding or no re-branding, I cannot stay in one position for more than a few minutes, let alone six days, so like a business person applying for a license at Middletown City Hall, I decided that I couldn’t wait!!!  I was off like a shot!!!

Well…not exactly like a shot.

During my first stride (and sadly, it was still more like a “teeter” than a powerful lurch) the “foot drop” with which I am plagued caused me to stumble.  My cat-like (yes, “cat-like”:  like a very, very, old and infirm cat) reflexes kicked in to try to help me regain my stride…but my other knee buckled just at that crucial moment…and I was doomed.  Down I went…butt over tea kettle…crashing to the ground, aggravating an old rotator cuff injury with the first impact and extruding nucleus pulposus from a different lumbar disk with every roll down the driveway apron into the gutter!!!  My cane, which flew high into the air at the start of this event, returned to earth right after I did…and smacked me on the back of the head.

I laid there for several minutes, wracked with pain and trying to compose myself.  (I could hear several neighbors laughing out loud, while asking if I wanted them to call 911.)  I remembered that we had lain off several of our firefighters, so I said no.  (I first tried shaking my head “no”, but that hurt too much.)

After a short while, and with the aid of my wife and Triple A, I was able to get back the house, into my zero-gravity chair, and swallow a couple of pain pills (and a double shot of peppermint schnapps).

Now, I told you all of that so that I could tell you this:  It’s all YOUR fault!!!  Yes, you!!!  All of you here at MiddletownUSA.com.  All of you nattering nabobs of negativism!!!  I re-branded myself as “the world’s fastest human”, but YOU PEOPLE didn’t believe.  If all of you would’ve just wished and hoped harder…if you just would’ve gone along…it would’ve happened, but no, you wouldn’t do it.

It’s all YOUR fault that my risky scheme failed!!!

So I guess I’ll go back to being plain, old HISTORIC Mike…at least until I come up with my next re-branding brainstorm. 

Then that will change everything!!! Big%20smile

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 4:37pm
I am all for the "re-branding"  as a safe, crime, free community with smooth streets, a top-rated school system, a wide variety of retail/entertainment/dining options spread throughout the city. Vet's well=paying professional employers and a wide range/successful socio-economic range of citizens.
So---Ann and Joe--could  you get started on that today?

No more art or former downtown for a while though--OK?
That direction really hasn't accomplished much.
Anyone else hear that the Over the Rhine Pendleton Center is struggling big time?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 8:51pm
Spider,

Are you having a dream? A hallucination? or a Nightmare? Fix the roads, more retail establishments etc.?  This town does not have the foresight or the proper people in charge downtown to makae your dreams come true. 
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 10:34pm
I like the city manager's new make over.LOLLOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

...Middletown needs to rebrand itself, said Mulligan, whose background spans sales, marketing and law.

“There’s a plan in the works now to come up with a branding strategy for Middletown and that’s important,” the 36-year-old said. “I think those efforts are going to be key."...
Hmm...If this is what he believes and thinks is important, why didn't he campaign on it??? I don't recall him mentioning one word about "rebranding" during the campaign...am I wrong??? Someone please correct me if I am!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2012 at 11:50am
Middletown gets it wrong every time, as has its new council members. You form a brand identity of your key asset, whether a low cost provider, a high end service or product, or a low tax, great amenity city. How can you alter a brand in a positive manner, when the school rank is horrific, the city deliberately avoids putting money into infrastructure including an unwillingness to reset dedicated funds taken from 1986 from roads to pay salaries and other waste, and a tax rate which is 1.75% going to be attempted to raise to 2.25%? 
Dooraghero View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dooraghero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 6:23am
I thought we had already re-branded Middletown as the Section 8 Capital of the USA.  This is much closer to actualization than any of the other grandiose re-branding plans stated thus far.   Maybe we can attract more folk from places like Cleveland and Detroit that are struggling to find accomodations for those who are unable or unwilling to work to move here.  There are plenty of vacancies in Middletown.  Hey, that could very well lead to a further influx of federal funds . . . But I really wonder if those folks would like visiting the "arts district"?
Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance,just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they'll never take our FREEDOM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic