FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canton police officer.................

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canton police officer.................
    Posted: Jan 11 2012 at 4:18pm

Canton police officer who threatened to execute concealed carry licensee should be fired

Submitted by cbaus on Thu, 01/05/2012 - 07:00.

by Gerard Valentino

The Canton Repository reported recently that notorious Canton Police Officer Daniel Harless, who was caught on his own police dash cam video verbally assaulting a concealed carry license holder, was a no-show at his latest disciplinary hearing. So, despite berating an honest citizen for lacking responsibility, when faced with taking responsibility for his own actions, Officer Harless chose to be cowardly and hide.

Officer Harless claims to be mentally disabled and unable to help with his own defense. Yet, the Canton Police Department deemed him well enough to testify at a recent murder trial. So, he either testified at a murder trial despite a serious mental issue, or he is exploiting the idea of being mentally ill for his own gain.

Neither option reflects well on Harless, or the people advising him.

Part of the pact between citizens and law enforcement is the belief that the rule of law matters in a civilized society. Just as important is the notion that law enforcement is restrained at all times by the limits determined by the People. Therefore, it is never acceptable for a police officer to step over the line crossed by Officer Harless, who clearly believes he is above the law.

Otherwise, he would have testified at his disciplinary hearing, just as he testified at the murder trial.

The Canton Police Department and Officer Harless can't have it both ways. They can't expect the public to believe he is suffering from mental illness, making him unable to help with his own defense, and is still competent to testify at a trial that might put someone in prison for life.

Clearly, the Canton Police Department and Officer Harless are trying to push an illogical argument on us, and we saw how Officer Harless treated law-abiding citizens when faced with an explanation he deemed to be illogical.

Even a criminal doesn't deserve to be treated in the way Officer Harless treated the concealed carry license holder in question -- just as a citizen doesn't have the right to verbally abuse a law enforcement officer. We can only imagine Officer Harless' reaction if anyone berated him the way he treats honest citizens.

Every citizen and every law enforcement officer should be treated with the respect demanded in a free country. So, when either side chooses to act in an abusive manner, it tears at the very fabric of society. It also strains the relationship between the people and law enforcement, which is a binding agent to society as a whole.

That means that nothing short of dismissing Officer Harless is acceptable from a citizen's perspective. This wasn't a one-time incident. He was caught on video verbally abusing a citizen at least three times. In at least two of the incidents, he not only used profanity, but threatened to execute a detained and handcuffed citizen. Officer Harless, through his own actions, showed he believes his role as a police officer places him above the law. This, in turn, proves he is unfit for duty. So, we can only hope that Canton Safety Director Thomas Ream will do the right thing and fire Harless for his abusive behavior.

To do anything else condones what Officer Harless did and gives a green-light to all Canton Police Officers to act in the same reprehensible manner

Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2012 at 6:10am
Sounds as if the testimony from Harless needs to be withheld until a mental evaluation can be completed. If competent, re-enter the testimony. If not, stricken it from the record. Regardless, Harless needs to be teminated. The union will probably try and protect his job, no matter how incompetent he may be. That's where I lose respect for unions nowadays. Too many anger issues to be a cop. Too confrontational with the people he is suppose to serve. Too bad, I think, in general, cops are ok. Always some ass---- in every line of work to deal with. I'm the poster boy in research in that category.
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2012 at 8:35pm
Canton Ohio: A pattern of verbal abuse and death or physical threats was too much for the city to overlook when deciding to fire Patrolman Daniel Harless, according to the safety director.

Safety Director Thomas Ream issued the ruling Tuesday and released the three-page report explaining it Wednesday.

The internal affairs division of the Police Department had investigated three traffic stops involving Harless, each one filmed by a cruiser dash camera. Investigators said that the officer had violated rules for conduct, cooperation with the public and handling persons.

The most controversial and publicized was a traffic stop in June involving a man with a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

During the June stop, Harless told William Bartlett, 52, of Brewster, that “as soon as I felt your gun, I should have took two steps back, pulled my Glock 40 and just put 10 bullets in your *** and let your drop. And I wouldn’t have lost any sleep. Do you understand me?”

Also during the stop, Harless, then 45, told Bartlett that he was “so close to caving in (Bartlett’s) head.”

He'll appeal. The good citizens of Canton could be yet again privileged to have this future lawsuit, This out of control LEO back on their streets.
Wots
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 5:02pm
You gonna love this one...............................
Wots
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 8:42pm
Thought police officers and public servants under stress are required to have a mental evaluation periodically. Harless admitted he had mental issues that should have removed him from the street. Wonder how the man can return to his job when he is no longer qualified.

The arbitrator/union/"keeping a job no matter how serious the infraction" really should turn people away from union support. I have no respect for the unionized shops anymore. Did at one time.....before I understood how out of control they have been allowed to become. Too bad SB5 didn't pass. Would have put out some of the fire in their britches.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:23am
Surprised none of the cops that read this board aren't responding with "you're just mad because a cop slept with your wife". Seems to be the go to response whenever the citizens are upset with the FOP/Union and police officers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic