FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Note To City Council:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Note To City Council:
    Posted: Mar 29 2012 at 8:15am
Vet,

I have a suggestion for an approach that might stimulate enough people to show up to meetings. do what the minutemen did to get their volunteer militia to show up: offer free beer after the meeting!!! Of course, then you get into the whole, how do we get everybody home, but I'd be willing to bet attendance at the meetings would improve!!! Smile
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2012 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Talking Heads Talking Heads wrote:

GS, if you are referring to the TH post above calling for action, it was not a joke. It was complimentary to some and did offer a solution. Provided an opinion/suggestion  - as most do on this site - about and for those who seem fed up with the past, current, and potential future of Middletown to take collective action. This could result in a formidable plan for the city that provides
increased opportunities for the livelihoods of residents and businesses. I'm certain some bloggers do much volunteer work and strive to bring stability to Middletown. Reverse what V. Moon stated as what leads to failure and you have the foundation for success. 

Talking.....I applaud your suggestion about taking action concerning the future of Middletown. On several occasions in the past, attempts have been made to organize and throw some resistance toward the current regime and changing the current direction and priorities of this city. Unfortunately, the attempt at the old Montgomery Ward building on University and the attempt at the Library died as a result of the apathy found in most of this town. Couldn't get anyone to show up in any numbers to make it worth while. Perhaps you could suggest an approach that you think might work to stimulate the people enough that they would show in numbers to any meeting?
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2012 at 12:19am
GS, if you are referring to the TH post above calling for action, it was not a joke. It was complimentary to some and did offer a solution. Provided an opinion/suggestion  - as most do on this site - about and for those who seem fed up with the past, current, and potential future of Middletown to take collective action. This could result in a formidable plan for the city that provides increased opportunities for the livelihoods of residents and businesses. I'm certain some bloggers do much volunteer work and strive to bring stability to Middletown. Reverse what V. Moon stated as what leads to failure and you have the foundation for success. 
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 2:57pm
" Part of the solution ". Was taught to saying nothing if it wasn't nice or helped solve a problem. Any time you like to tell me your solutions please have at it. This will come off like a third grader but if you like to compare time cards for volunteering please send me a private message so you can enlighten me on how to get involved. What a joke!! Again are the drug stores in town closing early, must be cause some folks aren't getting their meds.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 2:43pm
Excellent, Spider. I congratulate you. Others should also see interiors prior to making broad statements of demolition or the buildings' worth/potential. Not calling vision "having the same" but each has their own vision and if some on this post have vision, then do something about it.  Wish some that have such negative opinions of downtown/the city would get together, pull resources and invest in the vision that could be created into something positive rather than negative talk. All seem intelligent people, with some qualified opinions and facts. Perhaps this new Downtown Inc. has creativity and stamina.  
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 2:04pm
Hey talking head:
Since your post directly followed my post, I'll assume that you are referring to me.
Rest assured that I have been inside pretty much every business property in this city numerous times, and over decades.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 9:45am
thoroughman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoroughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 1:02am
Why should a "leader" make over $100,000.00 while we lose firemen and cops and our city goes down hill. Also, why do we pay so much to our leaders when we are such a small city?
Jesus move in our city like never before seen!
thoroughman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thoroughman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 1:00am
I think we need to do performance based pay on our leaders!
Jesus move in our city like never before seen!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2012 at 9:10pm
Mr. P,

I think they like to call that "having the same vision". The problem seems to be that their vision is a little fuzzy on details, like: who's going to pay for it and how it advances the community. The devil is always in the details!

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2012 at 8:37pm

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks define “having vision” as “seeing things their way”!!!

It never seems to occur to them that some people could simply have a “vision” different from theirs.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2012 at 7:51pm
If some of you had been in the buildings of downtown that you mention, had vision (and not just a mouthpiece) then perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to judge which are worth saving and which are not.  Suggest you get out and be part of the solution and not the deterioration of Middletown and its entire community. 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 8:25pm

hey Ms.V--your version of "the plan" could be very close to reality.

Doubt that these very well-connected high-roller mmf republicans(represented by Boehner) are sweating out any type of "investigation" by anyone appointed by Kasich.

Sonshine must come down
The old Monty Wards must come down
Shew and the realtors will roll over when the gun is to their heads
ACF is already being screwed out of the building that they have re-habbed so well
US Hotel Hope House Rose Furniture Hysterical bldng are all junkers that wouldn't be missed
3 corner former banks are iffy
Cincy St will take a while to fill the CGE, with plenty of room inside for coffee shop, restaurant, small retal, book store etc

western Cental etc is pretty much screwed, including Pendleton and Beau Verre
Neither draws enough SPENDING locals to make a dent

Spent the evening looking at pictures from the early 70s
particularly of my former location on S University and it's grand opening
This town has taken a lot of serious body shots since then
need to fix it and restore a higher level of community somehow
going to be hard with our current demographic mix

jmo
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 7:05pm
All the above actions will not save Their Downtown because
NO LEADERSHIP.…NO VISION….NO PLAN….NO FOCUS....NO ACTION….
STILL EQUALS FAILURE
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 5:47pm
TonyB....

"When is the State Auditor going to step up and put a halt to this blatant disregard for the law!!!"

When someone gathers the information from these pages, picks up the telephone and talks to someone in the AG's office about the violations. I doubt if this city's legal violations are on their radar. Perhaps a little "nudging" from some citizens in the form of numerous calls to the AG may help. Again, maybe a call to the local TV stations may produce an audience that will include some AG folks who may act.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 5:37pm
Vivian...

Don't see how the MMF'ers are going to convince anyone that the Rose Furniture property, the Jobs and Fam. Services building, the property next to Hook Field, nor any of the banks from the Thatcher purchase fiasco as historic and fed grant qualified. Perhaps the Manchester, the Sorg Opera House, the Sorg Mansion and the old US Hotel may qualify.

It is disgusting to see these people spend so much time, money and effort in a 3 block area of a dormant, desolate downtown area and have apparently abandoned the area around I-75, which is, of course, where the real growth is happening, judging by the activity up and down the corridor. The Austin Pike area north and the 129, Union Center area south, is evidence that this is the case, yet the morons running this town ignore the obvious, ignore the intelligent development of other communities, and are obsessed with an area 5-7 miles off the beaten path that is difficult and confusing to get to by out-of-towners.

The town is being torn to pieces and sacrificed in the name of protecting the value of a few S. Main St. homeowners like Mulligan and Kohler.

Spider, you mentioned that Mort and Joe Mulligan "rock the boat". Isn't it the general consensus that Mort and Joe Mulligan are friends of the MMF and were nothing more than additional council puppets that spoke when told to by their masters behind the curtain? We're not going to get them to do the right thing for this town. They, like Becker, Allen, Picard and, at times, Scott-Jones, are all bought and paid for. (yes, I said it, Ms. Scott-Jones.....sometimes you go right along with the crap the others are shoveling) JL is the ONLY one who puts up at least token resistance to this nonsense on a semi-consistent basis and even he votes on their side sometimes. Sad to see. No one for the people on a continual basis. No one.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 5:23pm
Spider,

I don't see either Ann or Joe rocking the boat; they were recruited to run to keep the boat steady and quiet. Your tally of buildings bought by the city is impressive and is again another example of the "half-a**ed, cart before the horse" mentality of development. Why should we wait for the train; let's just buy the buildings and hope!!! Why wait for Cincy State to decide what they want; let's just buy the buildings and hope!!! This city has a tremendous amount of money and time invested in hope!!! If Vivian's crystal ball is functioning, the city won't have businesses downtown, they'll OWN downtown!!!

I can't see MMF receiving grants for any restoration considering the state of their finances; as in, no financial report in the last 6 years. Anyone at the Federal level who would approve a grant to these financial incompetents needs to either be fired or reassigned. When is the State Auditor going to step up and put a halt to this blatant disregard for the law!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 4:50pm

Spider
I believe the only thing that you forgot was the 1.2 million bond for the demo of the Swallens Building & Garage and all the loss of property taxes since the City purchased all these buildings and demoed some of them.
So I went to the closet and dusted off my Crystal Ball to see if I could see what will happen next……
Now that the Cincy State deal is down to only one building with 250 students they are about to be exposed for what this deal was really about. In order to complete their plan under the cloak of Cincy State they will need to purchase the following properties ASAP or within the next 6 months.

MMF will buy the Sorg Opera House
  Ms Judy will transfer all of the other
Cincy State (Thatcher Properties) over to
    MMF Inc. to get them off the City’s books. (Landbank)
  MMF will buy the old Rose Furniture building on Main Street
  MMF will buy the old US Hotel building on Main Street
  MMF will buy the Family & Jobs building on Central Ave
  MMF will buy the property next to Hook Field
  MMF may try to buy the Sorg Mansion, however money may be a problem

This will give MMF TOTAL CONTROL over a 3 blocks area of THEIR DOWNTOWN

MMF will then apply for Federal Grants for restoration of these Historic
    properties and the property values of Main Street will be pumped up and saved.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 4:20pm

Wondering whatever happened to my online taunter Mtown

Who called me a "liar" copncerning the facts/opinions that I posted over the multi-yrar and nulti-properties wrangling about the Duncan Oil project. Their current property sits empty with a "for sale" sign, and the asking price rumored to be $500,000. I believe that price to be more than they paid for the pieces when there were still existing businesses. The city still sits on the demo'ed and vacat site that was formerly Office Outfitters, for which the taxpayers paid Duncan $350,000 before demo costs(please correct me if I am wrong here). Plus purchasing the site of the former Clark gas station, which is now a city-maintained "green space".

Still wondering how much is tax $$ for property switches and admin man-hours were involved, with this all probably not over yet(at least I can't see the city ending the process looking like it does).

Wow--factor in the purchases of the former Happy Hobby House and the two already demo'ed parcels directly in front(next to the former Strand/Studio theater). Add in the Sonshine Building, the Manchester Inn, the two S Main former bank buildings, the former Masonic Temple, the former CG&E building, the former Swallens lot and potentially the Sorg Opera House(am I forgetting any place?), and "we" own a lot of dormant property in a very small very dormant part of the town.

So--what will we eventually recieve for our investment?
More demo costs?
More giveaways of purchased properties?
More MMF involvement?

When do you finally say "We are changing direction and focus to other municipal areas in need, who might offer an easier and faster turnaround to prosperity"?

The city operates like a stuck compact disc imo.
Maybe too many administrators involved who don't reside here, have never resided here, and are here Mondat-Friday(minus holidays and comp time) only for a paycheck and accrued pension time.

I dunno--maybe I am being too negative.
If you think so--tell me

Anyone else think that TV Middletown won't return live until AFTER Tuesday's Council session?

Come on Ann and Joe--rock the boat!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2012 at 10:17am
Pac, I have enormous respect for you and your positive spirit. However, on Middletown, and raising money to put into infrasture, it will never happen. Let me tell you why.

Firstly, if your position is there should be no taxes raised, middletown has had in place for at least a year, a means where residents on a street can carry a 60% vote, and have the city pave the road, repair gutters, aprons, et al. So, that resolves the problem you reference by allowing citizens to amortize that expense over tim. To my knowledge few, if any, have taken advantage of that program.

Secondly, in the event any money was dedicated, that was prpoed by councilman JL, and it failed by 6-1 I believe. Hence, that would never pass.

Thirdly, I would never trust any funds in a tax or an accrued collection solely for roads, as the city would use those funds, and give a % to other areas of expenditures, just like the public safety levy.

There is no means of accomplishing the goal you advance, and i, who sated for yers they should dedicate a % of funds to roads. JL tried that, and they told him to go pound sand, and pack his bags.    
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 7:42pm
Acclaro,

I did not mention raising taxes in my post as they are high enough now.  There are other ways to raise funds which may be inevitable.  These funds should only be designated for infrastructer repairs.

PacmanCool
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 7:08pm
Thank You Mr. P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and Acclaro who continues to break it down. Ms. Moon will you have any posters ready for sale on Monday?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 4:45pm

It will be difficult to get any more money out of the citizens…and justifiably so.

First, many just cannot afford it.

Second, as Acclaro has pointed out, we already have one of the highest tax rates in area, putting us at a competitive disadvantage in attracting new businesses and residents.

Third, and most important, the administration continually fails to inform, under-informs, and even mis-informs the citizenry about nearly every matter affecting the community.  They do everything possible to hide their intentions from the people and keep all public business out of the public view. They constantly swing from poor-mouthing and crying that we are going broke to squandering hundreds of thousands of dollars (and more) on pet projects or funneling public funds to their cronies. Money is continuously shuffled from account to account, in a high finance game of “hide the weenie”. They simply prove over and over that they cannot be trusted. 

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 1:03pm
Vivian,
 The city does have a vision, a plan and has acted on it. The problem is the leadership is lacking one important element: competence!!! If MMF is any example of the leadership skills in this town, it wouldn't matter not one iota whether they had a vision, plan or acted on it!!!

Support,

Acclaro brings up a valid point; where's the money to come from. It's not like developers are beating down the door to come to Middletown; it seems that every time a developer is interested, the city either nixes the plan or gives them free rein and a tax break. Those projects always seem to be non-profit or no risk, such as PAC. I also find it amazing that after crying about too much housing, the city will hold a public hearing to build more housing!!! Not to mention, you don't just build a downtown. You can build an area that looks like a downtown but that doesn't make it one. Branding or rebranding something doesn't make it so; calling fecal matter a rose doesn't change the smell!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 12:24pm

NO LEADERSHIP.…NO VISION….NO PLAN….NO ACTION….EQUALS FAILURE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic