FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lakota Cuts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 6:32pm
No child left behind accomplished what?

Yes/ No----John Kerry nuances.

Reform school and junior military camps have their place being kindred spirits to boot camp. Public education is not boot camp.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 9:07pm
acclaro:

"Public education is not boot camp".

No, not in the purest sense.

Ahh, but there are similarities. Both have people attending from all walks of life. Both are conducted as "institutions" with large numbers who gather generating large multi-faceted problems. Both depend on control to function. (although I question the control of the current school climate as opposed to the old climate). Both target instructional means to accomplish the training required to fulfill the end result. Both rely on motivation and the reward/punishment system. Both take people from all walks of life and attempt to condition them to learn a common focus. Both attempt to achieve success through their efforts, albeit dissimilar in certain procedures to attain that success. Both deal with different levels of the economic and social status. JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 7:25am
But there is one difference. Soldiers are trained to kill, to respond without question to an order, to survive and for their platoon to survive. Moreover,, students are not trained to fight. They are also restricted within any school district in Ohio as to how discipline, including paddling, etc., can be used (if it can be used- I believe it has been all but abandoned."

While agreeing with you discipline has its place, as does tough love, it is virtully impossible to implement it in today's legislative;y "soft'" public school limitations.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

But there is one difference. Soldiers are trained to kill, to respond without question to an order, to survive and for their platoon to survive. Moreover,, students are not trained to fight. They are also restricted within any school district in Ohio as to how discipline, including paddling, etc., can be used (if it can be used- I believe it has been all but abandoned."While agreeing with you discipline has its place, as does tough love, it is virtully impossible to implement it in today's legislative;y "soft'" public school limitations.

Whoops! Now wait a minute acclaro. You are generalizing on the military, suggesting in your post that "soldiers are trained to kill". Might apply to certain MOS's in the Marines, Army Rangers and Green Beret and the SEALS in the Navy, but, in general, the military offers training in "non-killing professions such as the medical field (to work in the base hospitals), computer programming and repair, Military Police work that makes a fine transition to law enforcement in civilian life, high tech training such as flying Predators by computer and upscale guidance equipment, air traffic controller training from the Air Force and many other AFSC's that don't include killing. All of us know the military has become high tech and is in touch with the modern day world. Again, I contend there are similarities between public education and the military and that a scaled-down, less harsh version of the military would work in the schools. You are correct in your statement that the world of education is run with a soft/kinder/gentler/"make the kids candy-a-----" mentality.......and what has that gotten us to date? The system has become a joke to the kids because the system has eliminated real consequences for their actions. The are laughing at the system and the "adults" that have set it up don't have a clue why there is disrespect for authority. JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 6:49pm
Vet, I was just kidding you, I totally get your point and agree. But in fairness to the administrators and the Board, they have limited ability to discipline besides expulsion and detention. When they expel, they hurt their revenue stream, when they give detention, for a problem kid, who cares----they don't. A vicious cycle.

My father was the great Santini, I got paddled often, and rarely, for good cause. I never paddled my two children ever. Positive reinforcement works, smacking a kid doesn't, and one good, caring teacher can make the difference in anyone's life.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2012 at 10:26am

Gentlemen
    I’m sure years ago that you have heard your family state that a child had “bad blood” or was “born bad”.  It took me many years to understand what the elders were really saying.
    Today we use different terms to describe these children depending upon their age, ADD, ADHD, ODD or BiPolar. Mental illness can start at a very young age. In later years the majority of these same children will be diagnosed as BiPolar. If you look into their family background you may find a parent that suffers from mental illness.
    Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) seems to show up in Junior High School age children. No rules or amount of discipline will work on these children. The schools nor the teachers can fix a child with mental illness.
    Without medication and a lot of hard work by the parents these same defiant teenagers will end up filling our courts and prisons.
    So is it a health issue or an educational issue that we need to solve? Or maybe it’s both.    

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic