FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Facilities link on MCSD web site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facilities link on MCSD web site
    Posted: Feb 15 2012 at 9:58pm

The Middletown City School District (MCSD) now has a links on their web site for info pertaining to the Facilities Planning Committee.

Here is the link to the MCSD web site:  http://www.middletowncityschools.com/

To find the links for the Facilities Committee info, look for “Facilities Planning Committee” on the right side under “Featured Sections”.  After you click on the link, a pop-up menu appears.  Info from the February 2, 2012 meeting is already listed.  Info from this evening’s meeting (February 15, 2012) is supposed to be posted in the next day or two.

I hope that this helps to keep the community better informed on the issue.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 6:24am
Mike, it would not surprise me that the Phase 2 decision had already been made prior to these community meetings. The meetings may be just a passification thing. In the past, we have seen this theme used by the schools and council, and it usually resulted in the school/council doing what they wanted to do along with a few agreeable citizens sitting in the audience. IMO, a new high school has already been planned coupled with the use of the current high school as a middle school. The only thing that is undecided is the timing... waiting to spring the funding issue with some sort of levy on the property owners. IMO, we have never seen what the majority of the community wants from their schools and will never see it. Too much apathy. Too little interest in the town by the people. The school folks will get their little block of support voters to overcome the no voters who show up at the polls at levy time and the levy will pass with 20 something percent of the voters showing up, giving the impression that most people wanted Phase 2, when, in fact, most people don't care either way.

Same old thing. JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 7:07am

I can’t really say that I disagree with you, Vet.  However, I am trying to keep an open mind and be part of the process.

I must say that some of the folks seem to already have had their minds made up prior to these last two meetings, and don’t even want to allow any dissenting voices to be heard.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 9:13am
Thx for the feedback.

Think of it this way. A Mayor of a city likes the Audi A7. He has money to spend, amortized, over many pockets. He wants others to drive the Audi A7, as its his favorite auto, and his kids enjoy riding in it. 

The Mayor states its better for the city to replace its "aged" fleet of Ford Taurus vehicles with the Audi A7. To get the buy in throughout the city, who will pay for it, the Mayor forms a small Committee, all of which own Audi, love the Audi brand, and drive Audi A7's.

The Committee meets for a period of time, knowing they will recommend the Audi A7 to replace the aged Ford Taurus fleet. A few, perhaps one, within the Committee actually like the Ford Taurus, think its a decent ride, and costs little to maintain in comparison to the sticker shock when looking at the window of the Audi A7.

When 14 out of 15 on the Committee all own the Audi, love the brand, the recommendation to buy an Audi is the outcome, just as the Mayor knew when he formed the Committee.

Mike, do you like Audi's? It will be easy to sell the Audi to the community on the smell of the new leather when the door is opened, and the stainless steel 6 speed shifter turbo is revealed. Nothing beats the smell of "new". Keep an open mind and remember 99.9% of those paying for the Audi Avant 7 will never get to ride in it, but maybe gleam a smell of the leather.

To Buy This:

They Will Sell You On Trading In This:

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 10:27am
From the looks of the picture in the Journal, Mr. Presta is either exasperating the man in the backgruond or putting him to sleep!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 11:44am
Bill-

Man behind Mr. Presta already owns an Audi and is bored awaiting to vote yes on new leather, and the new model of the Audi.

The kid named to Committee is dreaming of Audi ownership, and is the cheerleader for "new car", "new car." Ergo---new school.

Dreamin, Dreamin, Dreamin, of the Audi---

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 1:59pm
great stuff !  Clap
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 2:35pm

Wait minute fellers…where’s the picture of the bugler (the City) that comes and steals your down payment (land banking & purchasing property) before you can even buy that Audi?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2012 at 11:44pm

Acclaro,

Well, yeah, I like the Audi…it’s a great car.  But my 2002 GMC Envoy still runs pretty well.  The body and frame are sound.  It doesn’t use oil.

Of course the paint is faded and scratched, and there are a few dents in it.  It also leaks power steering fluid, and lately the automatic heating/air conditioning controls have been acting up, and it will be due for a tune-up soon.

I don’t care about the paint.  I am well past the point of caring about people who might be impressed by a bright, shiny car.  If they like me only for a fancy car, then they will leave me for the first person who comes along with a brighter, shinier, fancier car.  An experienced mechanic tells me that I can get all of the other items repaired for less than $1,000.00.  If I do so, the Envoy will take me anywhere I need to go and will do so quite comfortably, and will likely last another eight or ten years.

A new Audi A7 will set me back over $60,000, but it will have a better stereo system.  I listen mostly to talk radio…should I spend an extra $59,000 for something I don’t absolutely, positively need (and can get along quite well without)???

I think not.

Now…if the transfer case begins to “click” Shocked, and blue smoke begins to bellow out of the exhaust Dead as I drive it to the mechanic’s shop, and I notice that it “slips” when it shifts into each gear Cry …well then I might re-think the issue, and a new car might make more sense.

So...let's wait to see what the mechanic says after a thorough inspection.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 12:58am

Oh…and we are a “two car” family, and my wife’s car is also a 2002 model.  Do we need TWO new Audis???

Perhaps we can sell them both and get by with one mini-van???   Her car LOOKS better than mine…should we keep it to attract those shallow people who are taken in by shiny facades???  Or should I give her my car so that I can get the new Audi???  But wait…if the Envoy isn’t good enough for me, even after the repairs, how can it be good enough for her???

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 6:24am
Michael Eugene Presta.....if you do decide on that new Audi, be sure and save the hood on the Envoy before trading it in. The city may decide to bring back the car hood idea for the PAC and Cohen may not have as many since the last idea was introduced. While you're shopping for that Audi, and looking at German cars, look for a nice used Porsche 911 Turbo for me. The old budget won't allow me to go over a hundred grand on a car right now.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2012 at 5:56am

Information from last evening’s (Thursday, 3/1/2012) meeting of the Facilities Committee will be posted sometime today on the MCSD website.  See the first post in this thread for the link.

It is disappointing to learn at each of these meetings of new (at least new to me) “strings” attached to the “free” money.

There will be at least eight “Community Forums”—four later in March and four in April—at various times and locations around the city.  These Forums will offer all interested citizens an opportunity to learn more about situation, the various options under consideration, and a chance to provide input.  I certainly hope to see some of you in attendance at the Forums held in the evenings.  

Note to Pacman:  There will be Community Forums on both March 15 and March 19 at 7 pm.  If one or the other is convenient, and you would like to attend, I would be pleased to take you.  Don’t let me forget!!!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 1:35am
I received the following noticed via email from the MCSD:
Due to community feedback, we are changing the start times of the following Community Engagement meetings.

Instead of starting at 7:00 pm, we will start the meetings at 6:30 pm. Please make note of this time change.

March 15, United Missionary Baptist Church - 6:30 pm
March 19, Amanda Elementary School – 6:30 pm

The two meetings scheduled for April will also start at 6:30. Locations for these meetings have yet to be determined.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 7:54am
Mike
After watching the school board meeting it seems the City is putting a great deal of pressure on the school board to support the Butler County Land Banking agenda. However many questions remain about how all this funding will be returned to each community.
I was impressed that the school board did question this program unlike what happened at the City Council Meeting where it seemed they just wanted "More Free Goverment Money".

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 2:34am

I think that it is time for an update on my experiences on the MCSD School Facilities Committee.

As you may or may not recall, the purpose (at least as I understand it) of the Facilities Committee since I have been on it (February 2, 2012) was to “reevaluate phase II of the original State-approved master plan; and to either reaffirm the original phase II plan or to suggest to the Board of Education better master plan options, given the changing parameters in our city, and the fact that circumstances have moved the time for the implementation of phase II, originally scheduled for 2010, to four or five years down the road.”   [NOTE: This may not be the exact goal, but it is my best understanding, and it was with this understanding that I approached the process.  I apologize if I have not gotten it exactly right.]

Phase II of the original State-approved master plan called for a new high school (grades 9 through 12) to be built on the Verity Middle School site (on Breiel Blvd., near Bonita Drive); for the existing high school to be renovated into a combined middle school (grades 6, 7, and 8); and for Vail Middle School (the old Middletown High School) to be demolished.

First, a few statements of fact:

I have attended each and every Facilities Committee Meeting (at least since I was invited to be a member, beginning 2/2/12) and one of the four “Community Engagement Meetings”.

Someone (perhaps Fanning & Howey, MCSD’s consultant; perhaps employees of the MCSD; perhaps members of the Facilities Committee prior to 2/2/12; perhaps someone else???) provided several options, in addition to the original Phase II option for us to consider.  These options were explained and considered.  “Order of magnitude” cost estimates were provided for each option.

Additional options proposed by members of the Facilities Committee were considered, and either deemed unworkable or added to the list of options.

At least one option suggested by a citizen at one of the “Community Engagement Meetings” was deemed workable and added to the list of options at a late date.

Although Fanning & Howey ran the meetings, the MCSD Business Manager was at every meeting that I attended and acted as moderator/facilitator.  He seemed to have no pre-ordained favorite option and remained neutral in all matters.  He supplied all reference materials (previous reports, etc.) requested by email in a prompt manner. 

Other MCSD employees (principals, operations, etc.) were also cooperative and helpful, although perhaps sometimes overly quick to point out shortcomings in existing facilities. (This may be a somewhat subjective observation, possibly due to my background.)

Next, few observations and impressions:

I think that some of the committee members that were holdovers from the earlier committee (2007?) feel that they were correct then and they are correct now and resent that they are being questioned.  They think that the original master plan Phase II should be followed (or at least something very close to it) and that nothing else need be considered.

Both the Business Manager and Fanning & Howey seem to think that no more than THREE options should be presented to the Board of Education.  (Perhaps this was a mandate from the Board???)

During our voting last night (3/22/2012) to narrow the many options down to three, I didn’t feel that the fact that our choices would be “weighted” (3 points for our first choice, two for second choice, one for third) was made clear.  The people at our table weren’t aware that choices would be weighted at all.  We just thought we were to vote for three.

The least expensive option did not “make the cut”.  I suggested that, regardless of any voting, we had an obligation to the Board and to the citizenry to include the least expensive option in the presentation to the Board.  This suggestion fell on deaf ears.  (I intend to keep lobbying for this.)

Conclusions and suggestions:

I think that the MCSD Business Manager is, to the best of his ability, trying to keep this an open, fair process that considers all possible and realistic options.

The same is basically true for Fanning & Howey (aside from their built-in bias for trying to subtly convince the MCSD that they need F&H as they go forward—something all consultants do as they conduct business…it’s in their DNA!!!)

Everyone with “skin” in the game (read this as taxpayers) should try their very best to attend one of the “Community Engagement Meetings” to be held in April.  I believe that your voices will be heard, your questions will be answered (if possible) and suggestions of merit will be considered (and at least brought back to the committee).

The MCSD may need to be reminded if the community places importance on economy.  The Community Engagement meetings are the place to do this.  At the FOUR March meetings there were, I believe, a TOTAL of THIRTY-NINE Middletown community members in attendance.  You can make your feelings known anonymously without even speaking!!! (They have little “remote control-like” thingies that they pass out.  You can push buttons to make your feelings known on various issues.)  This is your opportunity to be heard.  I realize that there are reasons that you can’t go, but there will be FOUR meetings at different times on different days.  Try to make it. 

If no more than THIRTY-NINE people are interested, it’s no wonder we are where we are in Middletown.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 6:46am
Mike, would they accept comments from people like me who want to see them make do with what they have, not place the levy on the ballot and realize that this is a poor community with the majority of the people not able to afford more taxes? Do they realize we are still in a period of unemployment for some, foreclosures for others and a recession for all of us? These same people, who want the Taj Mahal for every school and new schools only, seem to have no clue that there are people hurting out there. They are not in tune with what this community can afford.

If I went to one of the meetings, as you suggest, they wouldn't like what I had to say as it is not on the option list. They want new schools, no matter what the cost, no matter what hardship confronts the people of Middletown. Hell, they make this one of the poorest communities around with Section 8 and crappy paying jobs, then expect us to approve things like we have the money that people in West Chester or Springboro do. We are not affluent here. I say, monitor your costs-adjust as necessary, make do with the facilities you have, repairing as needed, downsize your spending and do what we all are doing. ( ie....If the budget won't allow, don't buy that new car you want and incur payments you can't afford....make do with the old car, fixing it as you go, until you can afford new.) Why do they think they are so special that they don't have to do these things? BAD TIME TO BE ASKING FOR ANY INCREASES IN ANY ARENA. COMMON SENSE IS OVERSHADOWED BY THE SELFISHNESS OF A FEW. Thought this was conservative country. Everyone around here claims to be a conservative money-watching, watch how you spend your money Republican, but these same people want to spend money like it's water if it involves their special interests (like this new facilities fiasco)........and that makes them hypocrites, promotes non-believability and reduces credibility. JMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 9:53am
Mr. Presta, I believe what you are stating is that one should attend a meeting to say no to the higher costs. I was approached to be on this Committee and I feared my time would be wasted for the reasons which have become factual. Attending the meeting and the number of supporters or dissenters does not mean by any means, the residents will approve moving this forward. I frankly feel residents are not quite that stupid. Buildings don't generate higher results, nor fill buildings.

It is apparent this was a stacked deck, I knew it when it was being formed. I don't need to be in the audience to say NO at the ballot box. As a management consultant within the big 4, I would disagree with you on one element of your statement. Consultants are to be objective and impartial. You lose all credibility when your bias is shown. That bias has been revealed by the fact a simple upgrade and continued support in the budget for ongoing maintenance was not even included for serious consideration.

These exercises in futility are easy to reach. You build your desired outcome and work backward, to have some substance as to how you derived that outcome. In this case, the Board and the Committee were glaringly unwillingly to exert even that fundamental effort. This will fail. Too many houses terribly undervalued, and Middletown is a wasteland. Only a FOOL would vote to build school buildings. There are plenty of them in Middletown, but more that get the fact performance is miserable and building shrines hasn't effected performance to date.

When you just need a belt but get this, its a 60-40 DEFEAT.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2012 at 5:38pm

Vet and Acclaro,

Those are exactly the reasons you (and others) should come to a Community Engagement Meeting and provide input!!!

I believe that they will hear you out!!!  They haven’t “liked” everything that I’ve had to say, but they’ve fully heard out everything I’ve wanted to say.  Some things they have rebutted adequately, to the point that I re-considered.  Other things led to them changing or adding to the options that the committee had under consideration. 

Now, not all committee members are this open-minded, but for the most part the committee members are not at the Community Engagement meetings. (If they are, they are there only as citizens.  In fact, they are not even permitted to “vote” in the polling portion of the meetings.)  But the MCSD Business Manager and the Fanning & Howey people who facilitate the meetings are as I have described.

At least one option was added to the list as a result of input from citizens at a Community Engagement meeting.

I, myself, attended one Community engagement meeting, and I can attest that they heard out everyone who wanted to speak at any time throughout the meeting.  They entertained questions throughout the meeting.  Also, at all times the citizens were treated with respect.  It was unlike City Council meetings.

jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2012 at 9:25pm
I looked at the salaries in the paper today for MCSD and looked at the school website that lists the employees in the Administration Bldg. According to the website, there are approximately 44 employees in the Admin Bldg. Of those 44 employees 14 had their salaries listed. The journal must use old information because neither the Treasurer or the Dir. of Instructional Services were listed, they were both hired this year and they both make over $60,000.00. The asst. treasurer makes $69,751 and I believe Ison was over $100,000.00 when he was hired this year. Anyway, of the 14 salaries the total comes to.......$1,121,153.00.....and that total doesn't include the other 30 employees not listed. One Million Dollars + Maybe they could look there for some money. Maybe not, all of those people are going to have their contracts extended for 2 more years at the board meeting tomorrow night.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 6:24am
"The asst. treasurer makes $69,751"

jsmith2011

And that's one of the problems.....assistants to the assistants. Does the school district treasurer have that much to do (if they stay out of trouble, that is) that they have to hire a person to help to the tune of $69 grand plus benefits costs? Is the school budget that complicated and the money so ovewhelming that one person just can't possibly keep tabs on it? Does Nancy Nix have an assistant for her county Treasurers position? That budget is larger than the Midd. school budget is, isn't it? Would it be cheaper to outsource this as opposed to paying both salaries and benefits packages?

Are all these administrative positions needed? How many Directors of Curriculum and Instruction, VP's of Lunch Room Operations, Senior Managers of Washroom Facilities and Executive VP's of Shipping Dock Operations do we need with six figure salaries? Seems to be packed to the hilt with positional fat in the upper echelons of this district, doesn't it? Add to that, the high salaries negotiated over the years by the teachers union that have now reached a level where the public has taken notice and has raised some eyebrows.

The whole scenario has gotten out of control. No one to police the situation when salary assignments are given to specific jobs. The school board, past and present, was/is suppose to be the voice of the public taxpayer (voter) and is suppose to maintain control over rampant position filling of large salaries and in teacher negotiations. Think they've done a good job in representing the people who placed them there? Look at the salaries from top to bottom and decide.
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 9:33am
Not long ago, let's say 10 years, there was ONE person in charge of facilities, now there are Thompson and Klapper with a combined income of $175,190.00 PLUS 4 more employees listed on the website. I believe Klapper is one of the double dippers who came to "help out" the school district a few years on a temporary basis and secured a nice position.

Also, there was one or two people in charge of curriculum but now the Dept of Learning has 9 employees with 5 of them making $467,868 that's the dept that came from the taxpayers asking for the school district to eliminate the asst. superintendent position, so the school district changed the title to Senior Director of Learning and hired a new person. Now her staff has grown to 9.

Then last year they decided to add ANOTHER department called the Dept of Instructional Leadership and it now has 7 employees. This department has 3 secretaries for 4 people.

I think if you would delve deeper into this you would find that its the same old story of friends bringing their friends onboard. I've heard the principal who took over Mayfield this year has already had one of her friends from Cincinnati hired at the school district.

It's the same story with asst. principals. When the taxpayers make an uproar, they cut the positions for a year or two, put those employees back in the classroom, making a boatload of money, and then when it quiets down in a few years, those positions are back.

I understand the superintendent recently sent the employees an email stating that the school district will need to operate with about $1 million dollars less next year but at the same time, all of these people will have their contracts renewed tonight at the school board meeting.

I agree, a lot of money and a lot of waste, but dare any of us to question it.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 10:05am
These practices and the given if you are a bad performer, you can move around any district, boils me.

The redundancy and waste is appalling and shocks the senses. I used to run a $125 Mm  business unit and refused an EA, as I was fully capable of doing my own PPT's, word docs, and spreadsheets. I cannot fathom how inefficient the Ohio public school system is, as are the municipal and city governments.

I have five generations of school educators in my family, including a direct relative one of the first graduating from Miami's School of Education. I am simply appalled at the waste, lack of accountability, mediocrity, and constant "dummy-down" by the school board as if everyone is a fool offering excuse after excuse.

I recall a wonderful senior educator in the Cincinnati Archdiocese writing a Letter to Editor regarding one of the levies which failed, stating how effective the catholic system ran compared to Middletown. I recall he recanted Middletown having 9 psychologists at that time, several whom were teachers who had no psychology training, but had moved into those positions to carry on with their tenured years.

The public school system in Ohio is broken, and it far outweighs the unconstitutional aspects of school funds. The system needs to be consolidated, and quit having every district have such bloated overhead. It does nothing for educational performance and the MCSD has absolutely no credibility in the manner they have comported...NONE. My humble opinion of course.    
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 10:09am
It's really not a matter of questioning these decisions; it's more a matter of justifying them! The purpose of a public school system is education, not employment! Yet, it seems that every decision made preserves a job instead of improving education. Administrative overhead needs to be reduced along with the ridiculous regulations that hamper education. Teaching to pass a test is not education; employment that does not further education needs to be reduced to essentials. I don't mind paying good teachers but I object to paying large salaries to questionable administrators. 
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 10:56am
I am at work right now and do not have time for a lengthy response. However, there are a lot of inaccurate statements being made about the salary list and admin employees.

First, the Journal list is based on old data. For example, it lists Dennis Newell, the former high school principal (and it lists him as a teacher). Carmela Cotter has been the high school principal since last July.  We hired a new Treasurer last August, whose salary is approximately $85,000.  I don't know why the list does not include the prior treasurer, Lisa Fahnke. Her salary was in the same range.

Yes, the school districts's budget and complying with state and federal regulations IS so complex that an assistant treasurer is needed.

The district used to have an Assistant Superintendent, who had responsibility over learning/curriculum, and she ran a department that included other staff--including curriculum coordinators, grant specialists. You can't run a public school district without people performing these functions. I see you do not like it, but it is the truth. When the Asst Superintendent retired, the district hired the current Senior Director of Learning to run that department, but at a lower salary than an Asst Superintendent would have made. The department she supervises already existed, it did not grow from 0 to 9 in 4 years. We actually eliminated at least one curriculum coordinator position.

Similarly, Dr. Ison was hired with the new title of Director of Instructional Leadership.  That title did not exist, but the department he supervises did, but it was called Student Services and was led by Susan Combs, the Director of Student Services. Dr. Ison makes less than Susan Combs did.  At the same time, the Director of Technology and Director of Communications positions were eliminated. All of the functions of the various departments in the admin building were restructured under 2 fewer departments/directors.  I explained this all on this board last year when the cuts were made and the departments were restructured, and I know all of you who just posted, posted then, but I guess its easier to just keep repeating misinformation.

All of the psychologists employed by the district are trained psychologists, not teachers.  They are required to administer a district that has almost 20% students identified as special needs, on federally mandated Individual Education Plans. This is over 1300 students who require IQ/cognitive and other testing that is performed by psychologists. Not to mention severed emotional challenges that many of our students struggle with. Unlike a private school, it is not an option to send them elsewhere because there needs are so great.

We have trimmed the ranks of administrative staff and everyone is doing more.  I invite you to learn more about the work of the central office so that you can understand why the work they do is essential to the operation and success of the school district.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2012 at 1:08pm
"We have trimmed the ranks of administrative staff and everyone is doing more. I invite you to learn more about the work of the central office so that you can understand why the work they do is essential to the operation and success of the school district".

Marcia Andrew

Just out of curiosity, Ms. Andrew, I would like to know what a typical days schedule looks like for the Director of Instructional Leadership and the Senior Director of Learning. What would they do in a typical week that would justify their positions and salary? How do they fill their time? IMO, the positions by title allude to being relatively the same or at least in the ballpark of similar duties. Perhaps having jobs with similar titles confuses those not familiar with the hierarchy. When they were positions, what did the Director of Technology, the Assistant Superintendent and Director of Communications do for a full week? How did they justify their salaries and fill their time? On the surface, to the taxpaying layman, these jobs really look like part time positions with hefty salaries and alot of "walking around checking on things" with an occasional meeting to go to. That's the perception. Perhaps an activity explanation to the public concerning each position and why it is necessary is in order here. Might clear the air about wasteful position creations on the part of the schools. The thinking with the general public is that there is inner circle cronyism and exaggerated position creation occuring both in the schools and in city government. Perhaps if you would offer an explanation as to why the position was needed along with the announcement of the position, it might end the mistrust the public has with your schools.

Now for the truth. Have you cut positions but added more in other areas not announced or have you cut positions and not replaced at all? Seems to be a bit of confusion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic