FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BLUE BALL WATER TOWER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BLUE BALL WATER TOWER
    Posted: Apr 04 2012 at 11:08am

At the Council Meeting last night they approved 6-0, the painting of the Blue Ball Water Tower for $293,000 + $35,000 for the inspection paid for from the Water Fund.
Steve Husemann stated that the water tower should get painted about every 15 years…however… we noticed a few rust spots because the last company didn’t do a very good job and decided it needed to be repaired now. He did not know when the tower was repaired and painted last.
Oh and by the way we will have the
new City
Logo on the water tower.

Well City Council when you signed the last contract with the painting company didn’t they give you any specs for how long their paint job and repairs would last? Why didn’t you call the last contractor and have them repair the rust spots as per their contract? Did he use an inferior product on the tower?

How many lawyers were sitting in the room last night?

Remember in December 2011 the City Council told us we were going broke.
This is the perfect example of how they waste tax dollars after they just raised our water rates.
So here we are 4 months later and we are painting a water tower before the scheduled maintenance date is due because they want the NEW CITY LOGO on this water tower!! And NOT one council member voted NO!

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2012 at 11:41am
Ouch
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2012 at 12:09pm
The age old questions need to be asked...

Did the city get more than one bid before signing the last contract?

Did the city contact a metallurgist to get their opinion concerning what the paint contractor was proposing in order to verify the job would be done correctly? Suggest this time, a metallurgist sit in on the specifics offered by the paint contractor to add expertise to city leaders who don't have a clue what it takes to treat corrosion, besides buying a can of Rustoleum.

Did the city make sure their was a guarantee with the contract and for how many years was the job guaranteed?

I work with corrosion at WP for the AF. There is a specific method used to prepare surfaces that are prone to flash rusting such as metals prior to priming and topcoating the surface. If not used, the results will be poor as to longevity of service. Gotta sandblast and clean the surface first. Alodine, as a corrosion inhibitor along with Deoxing the surface should be considered along with using high endurance, corrosion resistant primers and topcoats mixed at the proper ratios and applied at the proper mil thicknesses. If not done properly, you will never get near the service versus the money outlay. JMO

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2012 at 1:12pm

Vet
You are dead on the money with your evaluation of the problem.
You can bet if a city council member hired a contractor to paint their house and several years later the paint washed off or peeled you can bet they would take the contractor to court and make him repaint the entire house.
They wouldn’t last a day in the real world of business..

Vet this wasn’t about rust….this was about wanting the NEW CITY LOGO on the water tower.

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2012 at 5:46pm
Give me some scaffolding and a ladder. I would paint that thing over the summer for 1000s less!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2012 at 6:39pm
The new logo...something like this on the H2O tower?

OR THIS:

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2012 at 6:48pm
Work is in progress at the tower.
You can vaguely see part of the old logo below the scaffold.

USPRO6 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USPRO6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 9:23am
Clap Speaking of painting...the MiddletownUSA.com Building looks great with the recent paint, John.
Shonn Silvers
District Manager/Captain
U.S. Protection Service
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2012 at 10:42am
Yeah and adding a stones to the cement wall defiantly helps. Now if we can only get the city to build some sidewalks built along 122 and Grand Ave. so people don't risk getting hit as they walk to the stores in mall area.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2012 at 6:21pm
OLD
NEW

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2012 at 8:13am
Looks good. Found more money to finish out the lettering, did they?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2012 at 8:01pm
I have to agree with Vivian,  I moved here in November in 2004,  And the water tower was painted 2 or 3 years after I moved here. Which probably would have been in 2006 or 2007(guestimate). 
I would say that if a city the size of Middletown can not look back into it's records and find when the last time it had it's water tower painted, who painted it, what type of gaurentee they got with the paint job and how much it cost, there is a serious flaw with leadership and financial dept in Middletown. 
I was in business for 22 yrs and I have very check and bill that I have written for the 15 yrs stored in my basement.  It is sad that it appears that this was done just to get the new logo on the water tower and that NOONE on council bothered to even question this matter.

Pacman
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2012 at 8:03pm
Looks better, I guess.  A pet peeve of mine is why is there a need to incorporate the river into the logos?  It's not like a town being on water is unique.  Just about any town or city around here is on some type of river.  What's the big deal?
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 9:20am
Thanks, it does look much better.

Originally posted by USPRO6 USPRO6 wrote:

Clap Speaking of painting...the MiddletownUSA.com Building looks great with the recent paint, John.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 9:21am
Great photos! Thanks again!

Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

OLD
NEW

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic