FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A False Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A False Report
    Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 11:33pm

Our home was visited by two of Middletown’s finest early this evening.  It seems that the Middletown Police Department (MPD) had received a call from someone at Ft. Hamilton Hughes Hospital (I’m guessing it might have originated from the mental ward) stating that “Mike Presta was holding Judge Wall at gun point in his basement”.

Now this is ridiculous on the face of it, but since the MPD could not immediately contact Judge Wall it was prudent for them to check out the claim at once.  After all, stranger things do happen in this country every day.

Of course, Judge Wall was not here at all…much less being held at gunpoint.  I found out a couple of hours later that the MPD had been able to contact the Judge, and all is well.

It remains a mystery why anyone would want to file such a baseless, false report and send our under-manned police department on a wild goose chase.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 11:36pm
By chance, was the goose named grey?
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

By chance, was the goose named grey?
LOL LOL LOL
(Mr. Greygoose:  I'm sure that he was just joking!!!)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 6:47pm
How on earth did I miss this great post.
I'm surprised that they didn't kick down your front door with a report like this.
See Mike I told ya you needed to stop wearing that derby hat in public since it made ya look like a gangster...
LOLLOLLOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 7:14pm
In a way, I wish that they would've kicked in our door.  We're having some trouble with it sticking and and it is on my "to do" list to fix it.  (The first thing on my "to do" list is to clean tthe cob webs off of my "to do" list.)

Had they kicked it in, perhaps our insurance would've covered it and I could hire someone to fix it. LOL LOL LOL
errn View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote errn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 9:35pm
Swatting
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Swatting is an attempt to trick an emergency service (such as a 9-1-1 dispatcher) into dispatching an emergency response team. The name is derived from SWAT (Special Weapons and Tactics), one type of such team. Such action places law enforcement and citizens at risk and are criminal actions. In addition it reduces law enforcement officer (LEO) coverage and costs taxpayer money.

Swatting has its origins in prank calls to emergency services. Increasing sophistication of the techniques employed and the objectives, notably attempts to direct response units of particular types, and in particular attempts to cause SWAT teams to be dispatched to particular locations, spawned the term swatting. The term may have been coined by the FBI, which investigates these activities that are in the United States or are US-related.[1]
Blind phreaker Matthew Weigman pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy including attempting to retaliate against a witness.[2] He was sentenced to over 11 years in federal prison.[3]
[edit]Techniques

Caller ID spoofing, social engineering, prank call and phone phreaking techniques may be combined. 911 systems (including telephony and human operators) have been tricked by calls placed from cities hundreds of miles away. The caller typically places a 911 call using a spoofed phone number with the goal of tricking emergency authorities into responding to an address with a SWAT team to an emergency that doesn't exist.
[edit]Congressional involvement

CNN interviewed Erick Erickson to discuss an incident in which he had been the victim of swatting.[4] The caller to 911 claimed:
I just shot my wife, so.... I don't think I could come down there.... She's dead, now.... I'm looking at her.... I'm going to shoot someone else, soon.
—911 caller, [5]
That incident prompted Sandy Adams to push for a Justice Department investigation.[6]
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2012 at 9:55pm
Thats some crazy stuff.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 6:47am
Errn:
Hmm...I was unaware of this "swatting" thing.

I had written the whole thing off as an impulsive gesture of a mentally unbalanced individual, and laughed it off except for the imposition it placed on our under-manned police force.

Perhaps I should take it more seriously.

It goes without saying that the MPD will have my full cooperation if they choose to investigate this further. 

Thanks for the info.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 7:31am
That's an awfully long description for the word swatting. Here all along, I thought it was just a word to describe mashing pests like flies at a picnic or what Mulligan does to AJ once in a while when he steps out of line.

To start a conspiracy (which we're often accused of), I think this cop call was initiated by an MMF'er who is sick of Mike P. telling it the way it is. Goes to show you that sooner or later, the doggies at the MMF will get even with all of us.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 7:32am
But.....Where did they get Judge Walls name to add to this story?
I believe this story was invented a little closer to home.....
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 8:03am
After a little research, I've learned that this "swatting" is now a FEDERAL offense!!!  And it's punishable by thousands of dollars in fines and years in prison.

Not only will I cooperate fully with the MPD, I'll happily cooperate with the FBI.

If the culprit is who I suspect it might be, I'd be tickled to see him be "swatted" like an insect.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>Our home was visited by two of Middletown’s finest early
this evening.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>It seems that the
Middletown Police Department (MPD) had received a call from someone at Ft.
Hamilton Hughes Hospital (I’m guessing it might have originated from the mental
ward) stating that “Mike Presta was holding Judge Wall at gun point in his
basement”.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>Now this is ridiculous on the face of it, but since the
MPD could not immediately contact Judge Wall it was prudent for them to check
out the claim at once.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>After all,
stranger things do happen in this country every day.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>Of course, Judge Wall was not here at all…much less being
held at gunpoint.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>I found out a couple
of hours later that the MPD had been able to contact the Judge, and all is
well.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="Msonormal"><span style='line-height: 115%; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt;'>It remains a mystery why anyone would want to file such a
baseless, false report and send our under-manned police department on a wild
goose chase.<o:p></o:p></span>

That is amazing. For sure I thought it would be the mayor or someone on council.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2012 at 2:21pm
I don't know John. The mayor and council certainly have the vindictive streak to do this, but it also takes having a clever plan and implement it and I don't believe any of these people qualify in that department.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 2:06am
This is no longer a laughing matter.
errn View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote errn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 11:26am
Mike,

Do tell.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by errn errn wrote:

Mike,

Do tell.

Please
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 1:56pm
Because when they went down there to look, they found many other city employees down there?
Because they found stacks of printed MMF materials?
Or a lot of subversive MUSA member lists and a "negative agenda"?

Jk of course
Mr.P is harmless and non-violent when he is not at the Council podium or inside the Donham bunker.

So-- who made the complaint?
Obviously the call came from a traceable phone #
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 11:12pm

Since I did introduce this topic, perhaps I do owe the members some additional explanation.

At the beginning, I didn’t take this seriously enough and joked about it, so let me make one thing perfectly clear:  There was absolutely NO ONE from City Hall behind any of this!!!  Any previous remarks hinting otherwise were strictly attempts at humor.

This has now gotten personal as there have been some additional incidents (but none involving the Judge, nor anyone other than my wife and I), but so far, they have not resulted in any physical injury or property damage.

The Middletown Police have responded promptly, professionally, and admirably.

Appropriate actions have been (and are being) taken.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Obviously the call came from a traceable phone #

Did you know that some people can make any telephone number that they want show up on caller ID???

It was an off-shoot of skills used by early computer geeks back when long distance calls were still expensive, to beat the toll charges.  Once telephone calls became so cheap that it wasn’t worth risking jail time and big fines just to save a few pennies, the scam nearly died out.

Recently, hackers revived variations of the “black art” to use during pranks, phone scams, and now “SWATTING”.  Part of the trick during a “SWAT” is to keep the call too short to even allow a trace to start, yet make the message serious and desperate enough that it cannot be ignored.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic