FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Committee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Committee
    Posted: Jul 21 2008 at 4:28pm
City manager, Judy Gilleland has asked all departments to send a representative to the fuel committee. She wants everyone thinking about how to save fuel and have recommendations ready by mid-August.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2008 at 7:19pm

Yup, just what Middletown needs another damn committee.  This is the most committee driven city I have ever seen.  Question, why do we have City employees and a City Council, everything that is done is driven by a committee?

Want to save Fuel drive less.  Turn off Patrol cars when you are sitting behind Sav-a-Lot waiting for speeders.  Park the Patrol car and walk 1 hr out of an 8 hr. shift.  Go inside and eat at Arby's instead of using the Drive-thru. 

When doing City Fire inspections of Businesses charge at least $25.00 to cover the use of the Pumper and the 3-5 firefighters on it to do the inspection. What the hell you charge me if I have a Heart Attack and need a lift to the hospital, might as well charge for the Inspections.  Having that Pumper drive around for inspections ain't cheap.

OK I've solved the cities fuel crisis now we can disband a committee for a change.

Let me know when they set up the Port-a-Potty committee, I want on that one and then I can vote to move that damn Port-a-Potty out of site at Jacot park.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 6:40am
Pacman- I don't know why you're so down on committees. The Finance and Street Repair Committees where very influential and effective! Perhaps it's because no one in leadership in the city actually wants to lead.Perhaps they want to occupy a seat of importance in this town to massage their egos. If one of our leaders takes charge of a project and it fails, they probably don't want to deal with the backlash. However, if they have a committee to make recommendations to them, and the plan fails, they have that committee to take the heat for them, OR, maybe they just simply don't know how to lead and take charge of a worthwhile venture. I would just like to know how all of these towns around us are getting things done and we're stuck in the quicksand all the time. The word "competence" comes to mind here.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 7:39am
Vet I look at many of these committees just as you say.  If the Road tax fails which it is almost a guarantee that it will for the foreseeable future, the committee can take the hit for it, not the elected Officials or the City Employees.

The other issue you are also right, we never seem to move forward, we are always in neutral or going in reverse.  Now we have a limited number of City Employees and I am sure I can drive around this city for an hr and find enough work for them to last a month.  Why do we need to waste and pay employees to sit on a Fuel Committee, HealthCare Committee, Financial Committee, Street Committee, etc.

If the city has a lack of work to do please let us know by posting here, I am sure the citizens can post a list of things that need to be done.

Now I just spent 5 minutes and did no indepth reading but I googled, " How Cities can Save Fuel", "How Municipalities save fuel" and came up with hundreds of articles with ideas.  One employee could do this, distill it down to pertinent ways to save fuel for Middletown and produce a report for the City Manager and move on to another project. Instead of having 5-7 people coming up with the same ideas and sitting around a table wasting 15-20 hrs. or more of the  cities time at each meeting.Shocked 

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 7:34pm
This doesn't pertain to fuel, but here's a way to save money (and perhaps use it to fill a few more potholes):

Stop providing BOTTLED water!  City water is good enough for the residents, it ought to be good enough for city officials and employees.  If they want BOTTLED water, let them buy it just like the citizens must do!
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2009 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

City manager, Judy Gilleland has asked all departments to send a representative to the fuel committee. She wants everyone thinking about how to save fuel and have recommendations ready by mid-August.

Whatever happened to common sense ? I don't know this Judy Gilleland,but she needs a course in common sense.
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2009 at 3:37pm
Just out of curiosity, whatever happened to the fuel committee? Had forgotten about this because nothing noteworthy ever came of it( at least that was publicized), which is what Pacman always correctly says. Another feeble attempt to get something done by committee down at city hall.      
kingair View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2009 at 4:02pm
There was not a lot of interest, so it ran out of gas!Big%20smile
Kigair200
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2009 at 5:50pm
Pacman
Many communities are now using small 4 cylinder trucks to do City Fire inspections of Businesses and as back up for emergency runs.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic