Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Preliminary Local Report Card Data from the ODE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preliminary Local Report Card Data from the ODE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sassygirl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preliminary Local Report Card Data from the ODE
    Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 11:57am
I am wondering why the school district didn't release this information. I found it on the Ohio Department of Education web site: http://education.ohio.gov/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?page=3&TopicRelationID=1&ContentID=131230

According to the report the Middletown City School district did not meet the Adequate Yearly Progress state requirement.
Of the districts in Butler County, Middletown had the lowest number of students passing the test at the proficient level in the following areas:

Grade 4 Reading       
Grade 4 Math       
Grade 5 Reading       
Grade 5 Math       
Grade 5 Science       
Grade 6 Reading       
Grade 6 Math       
Grade 8 Reading       
Grade 8 Math       
Grade 8 Science       
Ohio Graduation Tests (grade 10)
Reading      
Writing
Math
Science
Social Studies
Ohio Graduation Tests (grade 11) These are students who did not pass in the 10th grade.
Reading      
Writing
Math
Science
Social Studies

Of the districts in Butler County, Middletown had the lowest
Longitudinal Graduation Rate - 4 Year @     74.3
Longitudinal Graduation Rate - 5 Year @ 78

Ohio Department of EducationOhio Department of Education website
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 1:01pm
"I am wondering why the school district didn't release this information"

"According to the report the Middletown City School district did not meet the Adequate Yearly Progress state requirement"

"Of the districts in Butler County, Middletown had the lowest number of students passing the test at the proficient level in the following areas".....

I believe you answered your own question sassy. If the report is accurate, another black eye for the district that is trying desperately to get community support for their schools. Not much to get excited about, but that's nothing new. Been that way for decades. Disappointing to all but those who want to look at what it really is, twist turn and distort it and believe it to be positive for the district. Denial is a sad thing to watch and it never solves issues.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 2:50pm
I am a citizen/business/community member of a BOE panel on system behavior/conduct, and attended my first meeting last night.

Was VERY impressed with what is happening in the 2nd year of this program.
Staff(mostly teachers/principals) made very positive presentations about the current behavior stats in the system. The program is geared towards the entry level grades in each school, and seems to be having very impressive results concerning behavior/conduct issues. Standardized program teaching the basics of respect, manners, classroom/hallway demeanor--basically how to treat fellow human beings and to conduct one's self in the proper manner. The kids seem to be embracing these fundamental humanity concepts very well--even to the level of overcoming home-learned(or un-learned) behavior patterns.

Serious praise/credit to Mr.Ison and all faculty involved.
A tremendous beginning, where students first master respectful behavior patterns, then move to proper education.

The fundamentals of human interaction/success are finally prioritized correctly imo.

I feel good about what I esperienced.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 3:08pm
Spider, I applaud your concern, participation and efforts toward this program. Seems, by your description to be worthwhile. It is a shame that the schools have to develop a program to teach what the kids should have learned from the parents.....basic behavioral techniques, especially when this needs to be taught before the actual school learning can be accomplished. That is a sad scenario. There has got to be a way to "convince" the parents that it is their job to teach appropriate behavior in society, in any venue. Since some parents don't want to accept this responsibility, they need to be "encouraged" to get on board. I think that "encouragement" should come in the form of mandatory instruction in a "confined environment" until they get the message if you know what I mean. Like denying food, clothing or shelter, preparing one's child for behavioral acceptance in society is just as serious as any listed as to child abuse in certain aspects. Perhaps the legal system can add some punch to this program as to addressing the real sources of this issue....the parents and their apathy to this. JMO
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 4:18pm
Vet--I wish that you could have been sitting next to me last night.
I have no doubt that you would have left feeling a little better about the situation, and particularly the value of Mr.Ison(not salary value).

The teachers,principals and staff seem focused, organized and determined to keep this process working.

I agree that it is beyond shame that our children must learn these traits at school, however you know the reality of our current demographics. We may have lost a few generations, however we might well win back the next few. This is the beginning to a quality, useful education and personal development. It is a wonderful re-birth of our student body as a whole. Not that we don't have MANY top shelf students/individuals in the system now and prior.

Yes--we have to start from the ground up, unfortunately.
sassygirl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 4:43pm
Spider, I applaud you for serving on the committee. However, until the all administrators, teachers, and board embrace every category counted in the Performance Index, as measured by the state, character building will not make a difference. It's just lip service.
The district dropped the asset building initiative that was started a few years ago. Asset building includes all demographics and is easy to implement. Parents were a big part of the Asset Building program, but again, the district dropped it. Part of the problem is that there is no consistency with the district's programming. They are consistently starting over, again and again.
You really need to go into a school and observe teachers interacting with kids in a classroom before you can start congratulating anyone.
At any rate, the many "top shelf" students are NOT learning what they need to know to pass the state tests and graduate from high school. A 74.3 graduation rate is pitiful!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 5:11pm
sassy--not much disagreement with your comments, and nbd about my participation.
I simply see last night as a primary ground floor brick in the wall.
The task is huge, especially considering our demographics and past school history.
Personally, I like a lot of the new administrators, and was impressed by the enthusiasm of the pricipals/faculty + their pride in their schools.

Everyone seems to understand the uphill struggle and how far we have to go.

AND------------------------

DON'T MISS ESPERANZA SPAULDING @ MU-M FINKLEMAN AUDITORIUM
ON SUNDAY OCTOBER 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS LADY IS OUTSTANDING AND A FUTURE SUPERSTAR
I BELIEVE THAT SHE WILL HAVE A 13-PIECE BAND
AND WILL BE ANOTHER WORLD-CLASS ACT HERE IN MIDDIETOWN!!!

BE THERE OR BE VERY SQUARE
sassygirl View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2012 at 11:52am
Doesn't the Middletown Journal cover school district news? I haven't seen a story about the report card release, or am I missing something?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic